Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

You're very welcome mate. Thanks for letting me know it was a help. I've also added Christmas FM to a site called Dar.fm. Basically it allows you to record live radio and you get 2GB worth of storage for free. When I had a Joggler there was a Squeezebox app for mp3tunes.com which is the site the recorded content is stored on. Handy if you like a particular DJ and can't listen at the time or if your name gets called out and want to share it. Merry Christmas all! :)

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Posy wrote: »
    Are the ISPCC and childline the same charity or two different ones? I generally just give to animal charities like the ISPCA so I don't know a lot about them- are the proceeds being split between the two or is it the same charity? :o

Hi Posy, Childline is a division of the ISPCC. It's the phone support where children who just need someone to listen to can call and chat. They do fantastic work and with the recession and the pressure that puts on family we thought a childrens charity like the ISPCC would be a good choice. The reason we specify that this the Childline division is that we have lots of children listening to the station as the excitement to Christmas builds. The feedback from our charity partners in previous years was that along with the €320,000+ we have raised in cash, the increase of their profile and awareness of their work was reported as being equally valuable - so we wanted to utilise that feedback and let children who might not otherwise know about Childline, know what it is they do and that they are there for them if they need someone to talk to.

@VanZan

Nice - I never knew about that site. I'll let the other presenters know about it too, as like myself im sure they would love to use it as a tool to listen back and improve their shows.

In terms of the audio, it's something we are trying to improve at the moment. Hopefully it'll be sorted soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Reception in The South East is a bit dodgy but improved all the same. Was better last year! Im talking Waterford and Kilkenny, city and county!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Been listing to Christmas fm every year from 8am on the first year :p:D .It's still fantastic, keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I noticed today that Christmas FM in now listed in 'theLounge.com' for Pure internet radios

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81979241&postcount=345

So I went and search the Silicon Frontier site for "Christmas FM" and it was listed. Here's the URL to save you the trouble:

http://ice6.securenetsystems.net/XMASFM

Thanks vanzan, FM reception is terrible where I am, but stereo needs the url to play internet stations that aren't in vtuners list. Couldn't find the christmas fm one, but used your one and it's working perfectly! Should have known to check boards!
    Just in time for Stop The Cavalry, wooo!

Woo, looking forward to Dustin!

CombatCow wrote: »
    Woo, looking forward to Dustin!

Dustin was Brilliant wasn't he. We had Level 5 in at the same time and the craic was might in the prep room.

The guests we have on next week are on another planet. hint hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Christmas FM keeps cutting out on me when I'm listening online in work :( I also think there is a bit too much chatting on it sometimes and not enough Christmas music and sometimes the songs can be a bit meh.....sorry but I'm just being honest!!

It's started cutting out for me today too, every 15 mins or so, thats first time thats happened. Other than that im loving it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Any chance ye are planning on broadcasting to the Midlands next year? I listen on the app, but would love to be able to get it on the car radio. Tuned in the kildare frequency buts it worse than bad.
    Oh and the app cuts in and out a lot.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Any chance ye are planning on broadcasting to the Midlands next year? I listen on the app, but would love to be able to get it on the car radio. Tuned in the kildare frequency buts it worse than bad.
    Oh and the app cuts in and out a lot.

Yep, we had been trying to do get a transmitter up in Athlone this year, which would cover the midlands but had problems getting permission. It's looking like it might be possible next year assuming we can find the funds to put it in place.

leahyl - Sorry you don't like the station.

CombatCow - We're working on the steaming at the moment, hopefully it will be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

leahyl - Sorry you don't like the station.

Well I didn't say I didn't like it - I just think you could play more music and have less chat

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Well I didn't say I didn't like it - I just think you could play more music and have less chat

I quiet like the banter in the mornings, adds to the Christmassy feel.

The stream is working perfectly today, thanks Ronan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

lockie1983 wrote: »
    I quiet like the banter in the mornings, adds to the Christmassy feel.
    So do I, but I was listening this morning for almost half an hour and only heard one song in that time. Tomorrow I might just listen to the Christmas playlist on my ipod.

(...like I do in the summer.) :o

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

For me I really love this one What Christmas Means To Means Me - Stevie Wonder

Congrats on the donation day yesterday, I donated as much as I could but it pales in comparison to yours Ronan :eek::)

CombatCow wrote: »
    Congrats on the donation day yesterday, I donated as much as I could but it pales in comparison to yours Ronan :eek::)

Thanks Combat cow, we really appreciate every penny. We're are just over €89,000 at the moment raised this year and our target for the year was €100,000 so we're looking like that might be achievable.

Thanks to everyone who donated, we realise how tough it is to give this year with all the pressures on every household in the country.

Hey guys,

Last year I got quite a few PM's, emails and tweets saying that people weren't a big fan of the:
    Posy wrote: »
    pre-recorded American stuff on Christmas FM for the last few hours now. Shame.

Which was a syndicated show called "Christmas Around the World" that has been running as our Christmas Day Programming for the last 4 years. So this year we've taken note of the complaints and requests to scrap it. Instead we will have Live programming on Christmas day up till 6pm, after that it will be continuous Christmas hits. As you can imagine most of our volunteers have given so much of their time already that it was a big deal for those that are giving up their Christmas morning and afternoon to go live on air. Many have already given more to the station that is humanly possible and to leave the kids at home and pop in on Christmas of all days shows how passionate they are - head honcho Garvan in particular, I don't know how he does it.

Anyway we reckon it's worth it for those that don't have anyone else to keep them company on Christmas Day. That and by being Live on Air, I'm hoping we might get more texts hence more funds for our charity partner the ISPCC.

I'll be doing the Dinner Slot 3pm - 6pm, so if you'd like some sound tracks to your Christmas dinner 2012, I'll be pulling out all the best bits and most requested songs from Christmas FM 2012.

In the mean time I'll talk to you all on the radio tonight, 7pm - 10pm. This is the big party night before Christmas.

• Advertisement

We're are just over €89,000 at the moment raised this year and our target for the year was €100,000 so we're looking like that might be achievable.
    That is fantastic!! :)

I really hope that people appreciate the volunteers who are giving up their Christmas day and dig deep on the 25th to help you all achieve your target.

I'll be listening in at 3pm as I tuck into my (possible cremated) Christmas dinner. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

That is fantastic Ronan, ye are going above and beyond and I hope ye blow your target out of the water. It is a fantastic Charity to donate to. I hope to be listening as I eat my Turkey and Ham (cooked by moi :) ) if I can get it tuned in on the tinternet :)

I see on the Christmas FM Website that the €100,000 target was reached on December 25th! Go on the live broadcast!! :D

Considering the sadly huge amount of calls that Childline received on Christmas Day just reinforces what an amazing thing all those at Christmas FM have done.
    It was appreciated greatly by me anyway and thank you all for brightening up my Christmas.
    I am already looking forward to next year's show!

(although if you could all get a longer licence, say until.... May, that'd be great...) :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Great show this year listen to ye every day sad that its over already bring on Christmas FM at 2013!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Great having you all in my kitchen (so to speak) on Christmas Day to keep me sane, Ronan. Do you think th live broadcast made much of a difference in donations compared to other years?
    As for the Charity partner next year, do you have anyone in mind already?

washiskin wrote: »
    Great having you all in my kitchen (so to speak) on Christmas Day to keep me sane, Ronan. Do you think th live broadcast made much of a difference in donations compared to other years?
    As for the Charity partner next year, do you have anyone in mind already?

Thank you :)

Yes being live on Christmas Day really helped, we got over 1500 texts on that day alone and more online donations that we could have got otherwise. As I mentioned on Christmas Day - during Chris's show we crossed the €100,000 target. This year their is definitely less disposable money in peoples pockets, and luckily more people tuned in so we've been able to raise a respectable amount. It takes a while for the dust to settle but once we have the final total I'll let you all know.

In terms of a charity for next year, we tend to get a few submissions from Charities who would be interested in partnering with us and based on those proposals we decide. It's always Irish and community based, but we haven't any decisions made yet on that front.

You know I mentioned Dar.fm? I don't suppose anybody recorded any of Christmas FM last year and still have it? I think you can legally share it with other members. Sadly for various reasons I missed a lot of it. If anyone has the closedown show then it would be like...well Christmas! :)

Hi Ronan, any final tally on the fundraising yet?

Wow!!!!! :eek: What an amazing total tally form Christmas FM!!!! :eek:€116,273!:cool:
    Well done Ronan & Co. Can WAIT for this year to kick off :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Is Christmas FM on all year round or just coming up to Christmas?

Advertisement