Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

jcorr wrote: »
    If the FAI were any use they would be trying to join up with the football association in the Northern Ireland and have a cross border model like the rugby team.

This should absolutely happen. Would be great for the game here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

jcorr wrote: »
    Why do Irish people support English teams?

Because we've got no bloody self respect in this country.

We have no leadership either.

If the FAI were any use they would be trying to join up with the football association in the Northern Ireland and have a cross border model like the rugby team.

Some of the LOI clubs have great tradition but that needs to be expanded to others and we need to make it attractive for young people to stay in Irish clubs, rather than go to England.

I'd rather have a national league and a national team than that bastardised mish-mash that rugby uses. Countries should have their own separate national teams.

I'd rather have a national league and a national team than that bastardised mish-mash that rugby uses. Countries should have their own separate national teams.

It's the same in cricket it's soccer that is more of an outlier due to the association split.

I would think you should combine the national team too if you combine the leagues so it wouldn't be a mish mash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

8-10 wrote: »
    I said we're more similar to them than Poland but I don't expect you to interpret my posts correctly anymore given you maintain that I want the EPL to succeed at the expense of the LOI despite me not actually saying that.

In any case I do think it's similar for sure in the same way that I think the advertising and brand of the EPL makes it widely popular throughout many countries. Whether we're similar in domestic league support, probably not having now learned more.

But is I say over and over again there are many many reasons why we support English teams. Some of those might be uniquely Irish reasons but they can't all be because we're not the only ones who do it.

The overarching point though is it doesn't and shouldn't matter why we do it, the important thing is that we get enjoyment out of the teams we choose to support. I know I do. Especially when we're the Champions of Europe!!

Let's use Scotland then. Much closer to England both geographically and culturally than us yet our league attendances pale in comparison to theirs even removing Celtic and Rangers.
    The excuses people come out with here to avoid supporting their own league get more and more laughable by the day.

It's the same in cricket it's soccer that is more of an outlier due to the association split.

I would think you should combine the national team too if you combine the leagues so it wouldn't be a mish mash

Outlier or not, it's the correct way it should be done. Nobody is looking other nations around Europe to amalgamate into bigger national teams. I don't want a national side associated in any way with that rotten shower north of the border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Are English teams English anymore? Think it’s just a global league played in England.

Outlier or not, it's the correct way it should be done. Nobody is looking other nations around Europe to amalgamate into bigger national teams. I don't want a national side associated in any way with that rotten shower north of the border.

Derry City are in the league, should they be removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is one big obstacle to this ever happening.

Soccer is a working class game, and it's fans aren't as open to mixing. Cricket and rugby fans are more moderate, middle class.

Could you really see a hardliner from the Shankill in Belfast, a republican from the Falls Road and a wee scally from Ballymena all standing together in a stadium cheering on the same team?

Cos I can't. I'd love to see it, but ain't happening.

Derry City are in the league, should they be removed?

Wouldn't cast me a thought if they were. Would be for the greater good if it put the final nail in this "United Ireland" team rubbish.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Let's use Scotland then. Much closer to England both geographically and culturally than us yet our league attendances pale in comparison to theirs even removing Celtic and Rangers.
    The excuses people come out with here to avoid supporting their own league get more and more laughable by the day.

This is nothing about excuses for not supporting the LOI. I go to the odd game is I've already said but I don't consider it my league. It just happens to be Irish. It's more like listening to Coldplay over U2 for me. I could listen to both but being Irish doesn't come into it as part of the decision, I already have made my mind up in who to support and I don't see myself changing at this stage.

I support who I like and I like watching LOI on occasion and follow the scores but I don't support a team in it so I'm not as interested in the league's success because of that (which you will still misinterpret as me wanting it to fail)

It's not like I chose Liverpool over a local club, I just chose them out of all teams available to watch. I think I was probably too young to even think about it being a one or the other thing. Most fans decide at very young and influential ages

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    They're in it for a reason, I'd suggest you look into it.

Careful don't "misrepresent" them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

That's it though isn't it? You don't "need an excuse to avoid supporting LOI teams", it's a choice who you support.
    If it's a LOI side, then great, if it's not then c'est la vie.
    I'm a Liverpool fan, former Athlone Town fan and attendee while I was younger (still keep an eye out for them).
    I was prob 33% Athlone, 33% Liverpool 33% Celtic as a nipper but once my Dad took me to Anfield I was 100% Liverpool. Hearing YNWA first hand and before I knew it I was popping over 10 times a season for home games when I got older and Liverpool is a gigantic part of my life ever since. I've gone over twice on weekends when there wasn't even a home match because I got to love the city and just like being there.
    Still regard 25-05-2005 as best moment of my life, notwithstanding the recent win.
    But theres 2 lads in work who are staunch Shamrock Rovers fans and go to all their games and cant understand why I wont go their games seeing as the venue is close to work.
    I think Arsene Wenger said it best when he said everyone thinks their wife is the best wife.

NewRed2 wrote: »
    That's it though isn't it? You don't "need an excuse to avoid supporting LOI teams", it's a choice who you support.
    If it's a LOI side, then great, if it's not then c'est la vie.
    I'm a Liverpool fan, former Athlone Town fan and attendee while I was younger (still keep an eye out for them).
    I was prob 33% Athlone, 33% Liverpool 33% Celtic as a nipper but once my Dad took me to Anfield I was 100% Liverpool. Hearing YNWA first hand and before I knew it I was popping over 10 times a season for home games when I got older and Liverpool is a gigantic part of my life ever since. I've gone over twice on weekends when there wasn't even a home match because I got to love the city and just like being there.
    Still regard 25-05-2005 as best moment of my life, notwithstanding the recent win.
    But theres 2 lads in work who are staunch Shamrock Rovers fans and go to all their games and cant understand why I wont go their games seeing as the venue is close to work.
    I think Arsene Wenger said it best when he said everyone thinks their wife is the best wife.

Honestly I'm not sure whether this season or 2005 was better. I think we need to get this season get into the past a bit before comparing.

On the single game it's 2005 clearly. As a campaign it's probably close. But for satisfaction and feeling I think this year meant more. It doesn't feel like a flash in the pan. This was an incredible team doing the impossible to get to the final while also losing only once in the league all season.

This was the best season from a Liverpool team that I've seen.

And people wonder why we support a team like this!

Are English teams English anymore? Think it’s just a global league played in England.

It the Premier League level I agree with you, particularly the top 6. But drop down the leagues a bit and it's pretty English alright particularly in terms of support

sugarman wrote: »
    They're in it for a reason, I'd suggest you look into it.

I know that, I'm saying because they joined there's no reason why we couldn't look at all the others joining to in a united league. I think it would be great long term after a likely difficult short term period

Everyone knows why. Because it's easy, in every way just plain easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Omackeral wrote: »
    A Polish fan supporting an Irish team thinks an Irish person supporting an English team is laughable? Gotcha

A- He more than likely also still supports his own team at home.
    B- He lives here now, supports his new home team.
    C- Most likely referring to people who don't support their own team but do support an English one. Probably finds that a bit hypocritical as the same type of people often are anti-English in other footballing senses.

Correct on all 3.

Poster knew wha I meant and only said it, as he/she had no other argument left

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Another one, if our Polish friends who have moved here started to support, say Dundalk, would they be told to go support Wisla Krakow instead?

A Polish person from Krakow has a personal connection to Krakow.

A Polish person living in Dundalk now has a personal connection to Dundalk and Krakow. Or indeed the Louth gaelic football team.

How is that the same as an Irish person who doesn't live in an English city, and may indeed never have been in it, supporting an English team, equivalent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

NIMAN wrote: »
    There is one big obstacle to this ever happening.

Soccer is a working class game, and it's fans aren't as open to mixing. Cricket and rugby fans are more moderate, middle class.

Could you really see a hardliner from the Shankill in Belfast, a republican from the Falls Road and a wee scally from Ballymena all standing together in a stadium cheering on the same team?

Cos I can't. I'd love to see it, but ain't happening.

Two reasons, imo: any merger would need a significant downsizing in staff as well as the loss of revenue from having two international teams.

I agree, though, it would make the league much more entertaining and competitive. While it's good in a way to see new teams like Cabinteely and the like springing up, some of them do have a touch of the franchise about them, and it's hard to have loyalty for your local team if they only started existing a few years ago.

Ahhh let them wonder... There's not a club in the world like Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Everyone knows why. Because it's easy, in every way just plain easy.

So we should be done with the thread then if you're all done wondering why we do it?

:)

Achasanai wrote: »
    Two reasons, imo: any merger would need a significant downsizing in staff as well as the loss of revenue from having two international teams.

I agree, though, it would make the league much more entertaining and competitive. While it's good in a way to see new teams like Cabinteely and the like springing up, some of them do have a touch of the franchise about them, and it's hard to have loyalty for your local team if they only started existing a few years ago.

Cabinteely were a club, just they were a Sunday league one. The lack of a pyramid structure in this country basically just means that if you want to join the LOI you just seem to appear out of nowhere but most don't.

So we should be done with the thread then if you're all done wondering why we do it?

:)

Not quite, because yet again as has been explained to you time and time again the thread isn't about why do Irish people support England clubs it's about why they do that as opposed to supporting a LOI club.

The answer to that though is fairly simple too though, a mix of ignorance, snobbery, lazyness and falling for marketing.

Cabinteely were a club, just they were a Sunday league one. The lack of a pyramid structure in this country basically just means that if you want to join the LOI you just seem to appear out of nowhere but most don't.

Problem is that Sunday league teams don't have fans so with Cabinteely it did sort of feel like a franchise those first few games. People attending weren't really fans their whole life, they were just going to support local and I'd wager that many already had a team previously

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

NewRed2 wrote: »

Ahhh let them wonder... There's not a club in the world like Liverpool.

Best supoerters in the world they say. Obvs never watched South American fans but let them at it

Best supoerters in the world they say. Obvs never watched South American fans but let them at it

Ah I don't compare really. It's just never been boring was the point. Maybe all clubs are like this and I'm just biased but feel great to have experienced all the huge games from Newcastle 4-3 in 1996, Everton 3-2 in 1999, Barça in the semi final this year 4-0 and 2001 1-0 on our way to Dortmund. Roma 5-2, Spartak 7-0, PSG 3-2, Man City 3-0.....it goes on and on.

Every fan can reel off their special games I'm sure. I just feel pride in a lot of our bigger wins, particularly the past 2 seasons.

You gotta enjoy it while you can I suppose! I'm sure the South American lads are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Not quite, because yet again as has been explained to you time and time again the thread isn't about why do Irish people support England clubs it's about why they do that as opposed to supporting a LOI club.

The answer to that though is fairly simple too though, a mix of ignorance, snobbery, lazyness and falling for marketing.

Not because the Premier League is a better product than the LOI, no?

Do you consider yourself ignorant etc whenever you watch more Hollywood movies than movies produced by Screen Ireland, for example? I’m sure you only listen to music made by Irish people too? Only wear clothes designed and produced by Irish people?

Just because someone’s from a particular country, does not mean they should feel forced to support a certain industry. Especially when the head of the industry in question here, doesn’t even support it himself!

So we are done with the thread then? We know the answer we were looking for? We feel enlightened now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    "Why do Irish people watch American movies?"

A very, very, silly comparison. As is asking why people listen to English bands or American bands. I'm passionate about music, probably more so than football, and my favourite bands are Scottish, Irish, American, English, in no particular order. Entertainment is not competition ( which is not to say that competition can't be entertainment.)

People who support English teams are free to do so, of course they are. I don't think you'll find a supporter of an Irish team* who would say any different. The rest of us are equally free to have a view about that support, and to express it. It's just opinions at the end of the day, no really big deal.

*I don't know any such thing as. LOI supporter by the way, people support teams, not leagues.

• Advertisement

Sure yeah it's a big cocktail of ignorance, snobbery, lazyness and being marketing whores.
    Absolutely..... Yer a great advert for LOI.

Advertisement