Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Omackeral wrote: »
    It’s terraces not TV.

Bohs and rovers are on TV tonight

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

8-10 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

England play in the Women's World Cup tonight so the real fans over there will be alright I wouldn't worry about them

It's referring to the old school feel you get of trekking the winding lanes towards the historic floodlights. You still get that further down the divisions. Basically, it's a bit of throwback and its not really felt at soulless new mega structures

:confused:

It sold out over a month ago. There's a thirst for attending this game. We sold tickets to people from England, Scotland, Mainland Europe and even the US for this one. Terraces > TV but since it's sold out then there's another way to watch. I personally couldn't enjoy seeing it on telly knowing what it's like to be in amongst it

It's referring to the old school feel you get of trekking the winding lanes towards the historic floodlights. You still get that further down the divisions. Basically, it's a bit of throwback and its it really felt at soulless new mega structures

If you still get that down the divisions then why would they need to reminisce?

Actually for whatever reason that comment just reminded me of the Netflix documentary Losers and it's episode on Torquay United on the last day of the 1987 season. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

It sold out over a month ago. There's a thirst for attending this game. We sold tickets to people from England, Scotland, Mainland Europe and even the US for this one. Terraces > TV but since it's sold out then there's another way to watch. I personally couldn't enjoy seeing it on telly knowing what it's like to be in amongst it

It seems like that cafe is trying to confuse people. Reading that I'd assume it's not going to be on tv at all.

• Advertisement

It seems like that cafe is trying to confuse people. Reading that I'd assume it's not going to be on tv at all.

It's a slogan that's used on social media. Basically along the same lines as "don't let your children grow up thinking football is just a tv show"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,026 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hobosan wrote: »
    The 'cult of consumerism' which has nothing to do with the sport of soccer itself which you claim to love.

Grown Irish men screaming at televisions in pubs while watching English clubs is a marketing campaign that will remain permanently imprinted on susceptible children.
    Change 'men' to 'people', and change 'English clubs' to 'celebrity' and some people suddenly think, 'oh, yeah, that's b fine - that's different'.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

fyfe79 wrote: »
    How is it a ridiculous comparison? People consume what they find most entertaining – football falls into that category too. Of course, if the Irish product is as good as the foreign product I would choose Irish every time but would you choose the Irish product if the foreign product was superior? I wouldn't.
    For the record, most of my favourite bands happen to be Irish but I certainly don’t feel any compulsion to listen to them ahead of American or UK bands – I consume what I enjoy, regardless of where’s it’s from.

As for the bolded bit – that is some leap! Why would Irish fans of English clubs be telling LOI fans to shut up slagging off the FAI? As long as I’ve followed football, the FAI has been a shambles – why would any Irish supporter try to cover that up? The FAI is poison for the game here. Fans of the LOI know it, fans of the PL know it. It would suit everybody for the FAI to straighten up its act. There's no big conspiracy by PL fans to keep the LOI in the doldrums.

Sports unlike most other forms of entertainment is very primitive and tribal that's why it's a ridiculous comparison.

There's literally video evidence of it
    https://youtu.be/affbvK4UZgc
    That video it just a snap shot of the abuse LOI fans have been getting for year whenever we had the nerve to question our glorious leader

• Registered Users Posts: 21,996 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Let's use Scotland then. Much closer to England both geographically and culturally than us yet our league attendances pale in comparison to theirs even removing Celtic and Rangers.
    The excuses people come out with here to avoid supporting their own league get more and more laughable by the day.

So i picked Hamilton as their ground holds 6000 like top tier LOI grounds.

Last season home games

Hearts - 3764 - 2082
    St Johnston - 1791 - 1174 - 2553
    St Mirren - 2830 - 3096
    Dundee - 1788 - 2297
    Rangers - 5013 - 5827
    Livingston - 1459 - 1135
    Celtic - 4688
    Hibs - 2169
    Kilmarnock - 3401 - 2746
    Motherwell - 3843
    Aberdeen - 2104

Removing Celtic and Rangers then their average is 2390.

Which is less than some LOI teams that have smaller grounds

So i picked Hamilton as their ground holds 6000 like top tier LOI grounds.

Last season home games

Hearts - 3764 - 2082
    St Johnston - 1791 - 1174 - 2553
    St Mirren - 2830 - 3096
    Dundee - 1788 - 2297
    Rangers - 5013 - 5827
    Livingston - 1459 - 1135
    Celtic - 4688
    Hibs - 2169
    Kilmarnock - 3401 - 2746
    Motherwell - 3843
    Aberdeen - 2104

You can't pick a team based on their stadium size. Stadiums are built to fit demand not the other way round.

• Advertisement

Are many LOI teams getting 2400 average attendances?

You can't pick a team based on their stadium size. Stadiums are built to fit demand not the other way round.

Well i doubt many LOI grounds are bigger than 6000
    Are many LOI teams getting 2400 average attendances?

Average attendance last year for LOI

Cork - 4086 - Cap 7485
    Dundalk - 2801 - Cap 4500
    Rovers - 2758 - Cap 8000
    Waterford - 2314 - Cap 5500
    Bohs - 2143 - Cap 3640
    Derry - 2061 - Cap 7700 but only allowed to sell seats by council so 2900
    Sligo - 1800 - Cap 5500
    St Pat's - 1733 - Cap 5340
    Limerick - 998 - Cap 5000
    Bray - 694 - Cap 4000

Well i doubt many LOI grounds are bigger than 6000

Average attendance last year for LOI

Cork - 4086 - Cap 7485
    Dundalk - 2801 - Cap 4500
    Rovers - 2758 - Cap 8000
    Waterford - 2314 - Cap 5500
    Bohs - 2143 - Cap 3640
    Derry - 2061 - Cap 7700 but only allowed to sell seats by council so 2900
    Sligo - 1800 - Cap 5500
    St Pat's - 1733 - Cap 5340
    Limerick - 998 - Cap 5000
    Bray - 694 - Cap 4000

Again the ground size is dependant on crowd demand not the other way around so you can't just pick the worse team in the SPL and use their attendances on the basis of their ground size.

Take out Celtic and Rangers and the average attendance in the SPL was around 8,500. Multiples of the LOI average.

Again the ground size is dependant on crowd demand not the other way around so you can't just pick the worse team in the SPL and use their attendances on the basis of their ground size.

Take out Celtic and Rangers and the average attendance in the SPL was around 8,500. Multiples of the LOI average.

Well of course it is going to be bigger no LOI ground can hold 8500 so would be impossible to beat them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Well of course it is going to be bigger no LOI ground can hold 8500 so would be impossible to beat them

If LOI grounds held that, they still wouldnt get near that.

Cork could prob get a max 5,000 Rovers too if going well
    4,000 us, Sligo possibly Bohs

If LOI grounds held that, they still wouldnt get near that.

Cork could prob get a max 5,000 Rovers too if going well
    4,000 us, Sligo possibly Bohs

Which is why you can't compare LOI with the Scottish league for average attendance

Which is why you can't compare LOI with the Scottish league for average attendance

Yeah you can because if the demand was there the capacity of the grounds would increase

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Yeah you can because if the demand was there the capacity of the grounds would increase

See my signature please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Exactly. If the sold out signs were up in Oriel regulalry i guarantee you Peak 6 would have got extra seats into Oriel!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Sports unlike most other forms of entertainment is very primitive and tribal that's why it's a ridiculous comparison.

There's literally video evidence of it
    https://youtu.be/affbvK4UZgc
    That video it just a snap shot of the abuse LOI fans have been getting for year whenever we had the nerve to question our glorious leader

I’ll watch that video this evening.

As for football being primitive and primal – yes, it is; to some. Not all. Depends on how deep your emotional involvement is in football – that’s the crux of it really.

When I was younger, and had plenty of time on my hands, I went to watch my local side – Clonmel Town – admittedly this was around the time they had much success (ie. Winning the FAI Junior Cup in 1993 etc). I also took in the occasional LOI/FAI Cup game at Waterford or Kilkenny, and went to Lansdowne for the odd international match. When I was older I travelled to Anfield a few times. Now I’m married with kids etc, so I just don’t really have the time to go to games anymore – especially as my main passion is music and I use my limited free time to travel to gigs rather than football matches.
    For that reason, football has dropped back from being a primitive and tribal interest when younger, to more of a hobby as I get older. That’s just me, and probably a lot of others, too.

• Advertisement

Just getting on a plane from Edinburgh now and there's 3 Scottish lads on it coming over for the Dublin Derby. Bloody day trippers ruining it for the locals :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The Scottish Premiership is the best attended in Europe in terms of fan attendance figures per capita.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42696675

If Scotland can create a well attended league with it being closer in proximity to England than Ireland then it reflects very badly on soccer fans in this country who seem more influenced by glamour than authenticity.

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I’ll watch that video this evening.

As for football being primitive and primal – yes, it is; to some. Not all. Depends on how deep your emotional involvement is in football – that’s the crux of it really.

When I was younger, and had plenty of time on my hands, I went to watch my local side – Clonmel Town – admittedly this was around the time they had much success (ie. Winning the FAI Junior Cup in 1993 etc). I also took in the occasional LOI/FAI Cup game at Waterford or Kilkenny, and went to Lansdowne for the odd international match. When I was older I travelled to Anfield a few times. Now I’m married with kids etc, so I just don’t really have the time to go to games anymore – especially as my main passion is music and I use my limited free time to travel to gigs rather than football matches.
    For that reason, football has dropped back from being a primitive and tribal interest when younger, to more of a hobby as I get older. That’s just me, and probably a lot of others, too.

Anyone who uses the words us, they, we, etc in the context of talking about a sports team is saying its tribal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Manchester United. Historically big, successful, plays in NW of England, has a global brand, wears red and has Irish people calling them "us".

Exactly, if those are the things you choose to compare the clubs then I stand by my comment.
    Oh they both wear red and are situated an hour apart..... Seriously? :D

Anyhow, for what its worth I think United are a huge club, bigger than Liverpool globally, just different set of values and traditions.
    Again, happy with my comment.

Being a smart arse doesn't contribute to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You have to take Hearts and Hibs into account as well, 2 big clubs as well, much bigger than any LoI club, so they are bringing the average up.

If you are comparing leagues, don't think you can leave the Edinburgh clubs in.

NIMAN wrote: »
    You have to take Hearts and Hibs into account as well, 2 big clubs as well, much bigger than any LoI club, so they are bringing the average up.

Sure why not take out a few other ones too? Just to get the figure down.
    Aberdeen is a mining town, they don't count.
    What goes on in Motherwell? Cut them too.
    :D

Sorry Im aware of the irony with the smartass comment I made above. Just couldnt resist

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Sure why not take out a few other ones too? Just to get the figure down.
    Aberdeen is a mining town, they don't count.
    What goes on in Motherwell? Cut them too.
    :D

I just did a quick search and the average attendances of Hibs and Hearts that are last recorded (2018?) were 17775 and 18400 respectively.

LoI clubs aren't in the same league as these clubs.

I just did a quick search and the average attendances of Hibs and Hearts that are last recorded (2018?) were 17775 and 18400 respectively.

I'm surprised Hearts hit that figure. I recall the days when Jim Jeffries was there and they had players like Fulton and Adam and they won the cup and I had a soft spot for them at the time but then the Lithuanians came in and screwed it all up.
    Still a great club and bigger than the LOI clubs alright.

Surely that's a joke right? Hearts and Hibs are hardly household names. When was the last time either of them won the league?
    They get big attendances because they're the two main clubs in the capital of a country that's population actually gives a **** about its domestic game.

Of course they're not in the same ****ing league attendance wise, the whole ****ing discussion is about how poorly attended the LOI is.

Aberdeen is a big club we should exclude them too, and Kilmarnock just to be safe, sure we can't have motherwell in there either, Dundee? Can't be having them either since they're the only club in the city in the SPL, St Mirren they're near Glasgow that's unfair, St Johnstone, Livingston, Hamilton Accies we'll exclude them to be safe. May as well just use the championship as the comparison because you know its only fair.

**** right off with that ****e.

• Advertisement

This is why I love it. This is from tonight. You can't beat being in the middle of all that craziness. An absolute belter right out of the top drawer against your fiercest rivals. Surreal.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1139665163735449601

Advertisement