Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derogation to the Wildlife Act 2020-21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As JacK Charlton said so many years ago "Put em under pressure".They are that now,keep them that way.Do not let up,and you can inform any contacts that you have that ove 2500 and counting people have signed a online petition in 3days showing their dissatisfaction on this matter,and that soon another form of direct action will soon hit the Minister on this.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I hope to have more news on this very shortly, sworn to secrecy at the moment, but it will be good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Vizzy wrote: »
    I hope to have more news on this very shortly, sworn to secrecy at the moment, but it will be good news.

Ahh God Damn..... I have no patience!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mcbain087

This was put up on Facebook ... dont have any verification yet

https://www.facebook.com/groups/256831991510880/permalink/820829945111079/

Cant see the facebook page ( only members can see posts).

What does it say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

mcbain087 wrote: »
    This was put up on Facebook ... dont have any verification yet

https://www.facebook.com/groups/256831991510880/permalink/820829945111079/

Minister Madigan has announced the reversal of the change in the Dáil. It is as you were.

Well done to everyone who played thier part.

513773.jpg

That was the news I had late yesterday afternoon but obviously I couldn't announce it before the Minister did.
    Good news and shows what a bit of a concerted effort can achieve.

I would like to thank cookimonster for first alerting us here on Boards to this issue. Well done.

We have done well! Just shows what we can do ,yet again,when we get an early warning and alert.We must learn to keep punching above our weight class here in Ireland as shooting and hunting organisations,but as this guy says below...

2fb67b622aa1e64072308f94c69c45196ecbe22c9a7c5b999bdab6b06eb6d970.jpg

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Excellent news and a big well done to all those who took the time to write/email their TDs, the Minister and the various groups even down to signing the petition. Each one of you have done your part in protecting our sport.

Great win and common sense truly did prevail.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Has anew derogation been sign/published?
    Not that I don’t believe it will happen, but would be worth seeing the outcome on paper.

Representation by Sorca Clarke TD on our behalf, regardless of political affiliation or your personal beliefs, I think we need people like her fighting our corner.

https://www.facebook.com/372211499857199/posts/865965930481751/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭eoin.d

Representation by Sorca Clarke TD on our behalf, regardless of political affiliation or your personal beliefs, I think we need people like her fighting our corner.

https://www.facebook.com/372211499857199/posts/865965930481751/

Yes alot of rubbish posted by people before the last election about sinn fèin being anti hunting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

eoin.d wrote: »
    Yes alot of rubbish posted by people before the last election about sinn fèin being anti hunting

http://www.banbloodsports.com/ln090904.htm
    http://www.banbloodsports.com/ln150616b.htm

Mellor wrote: »
    Has anew derogation been sign/published?
    Not that I don’t believe it will happen, but would be worth seeing the outcome on paper.

On the NPWS WEBSITE:

513944.jpg

The offending document has been rewritten:

513945.jpg

Link to website :

https://www.npws.ie/legislation/irish-law/eu-birds-directive-derogations

Thank goodness for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Thank goodness for that.

Did the NPWS ever publish the so called "objective scientific research" in favour of the ban?

Not that I'm aware of!
    To be honest I can't see them having enough supporting information to justify the bad decision to close the season.
    I feel it was impetuous based on someones advice with alternative motives, probably the greens or the like who don't realise the value of vermin control and when the minister was schooled by Sorca Clarke in the Dail and the cost of the crop damage was spelled out, sure the minister didn't really have a choice if she wanted to continue in her role.

Did the NPWS ever publish the so called "objective scientific research" in favour of the ban?

https://www.npws.ie/news/eu-birds-directive-derogation-report

I belive this is the document they were using to base thier decision on......

https://www.npws.ie/sites/default/files/general/aniar-final-report-060918.pdf

513977.jpg

• Advertisement

That report shows that amongst other species, the woodpigeon isn't under threat, it has said so for many years and this report was last updated in 2018....so realistically if they used this info they didn't have grounds for such a change.
    I am open to any correction but feel the minister had her ear bent by someone and also npws asked for feedback and data regarding derogation of certain species with submissions to be returned before 10th Jan 2020, this request was on their site for the last year. This I hadn't seen in past years and some data must have been returned to prompt this situation to be addressed.
    This returned data is what should have influenced change and I would like to see them produce it for public scrutiny.
    Dont think we will get clarification but I am happy with the reversal.
    This should be our warning to keep vigilant to the small things in npws that can have huge implications for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Mississippi.

Even for the Minister to reverse her decision so quickly does show that she was just chancing her arm with refusing the derogation and had no strong evidence to the contrary

That report shows that amongst other species, the woodpigeon isn't under threat, it has said so for many years and this report was last updated in 2018....so realistically if they used this info they didn't have grounds for such a change.
    I am open to any correction but feel the minister had her ear bent by someone and also npws asked for feedback and data regarding derogation of certain species with submissions to be returned before 10th Jan 2020, this request was on their site for the last year. This I hadn't seen in past years and some data must have been returned to prompt this situation to be addressed.
    This returned data is what should have influenced change and I would like to see them produce it for public scrutiny.
    Dont think we will get clarification but I am happy with the reversal.
    This should be our warning to keep vigilant to the small things in npws that can have huge implications for the future.

Bent is not the word, apparently !!

And the decision was made before that Sinn Fein lady even got to her feet. But fair play to her.
    Its a bit ironic that of the 5 TD's that I emailed, the only ones that got back to me were a SF guy and 2 independents. FF & Lab didn't bother their a**e.
    Position noted :)

I got a response from both FF and FG in Limerick and Clare.But nothing from all the new boys in FF,independent or SF in Limerick or Clare. Just shows how unresponsive some can be and others are on these issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭J.R.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Bent is not the word, apparently !!

And the decision was made before that Sinn Fein lady even got to her feet. But fair play to her.
    Its a bit ironic that of the 5 TD's that I emailed, the only ones that got back to me were a SF guy and 2 independents. FF & Lab didn't bother their a**e.
    Position noted :)

Same for me, Sinn Fein responded, FGer said he was too busy at the moment.

• Advertisement

J.R. wrote: »

"Let us pray that peace now be restored to the world, and that God will preserve it always.

These proceedings are closed."

Gen Mac Arthur after the signing of surrender of Japan Tokio bay Aug 1945

For WRITTEN answer on Wednesday, 27 May, 2020.

* To ask the Minister for Culture; Heritage and the Gaeltacht the scientific grounds on which she refused to sign the derogation permit in 2020 which allows farmers to shoot pigeons as part of their crop protection.
    - Chris Andrews T.D.

I signed the Wild Birds State Wide Declaration last month for the period 1 May 2020 to 30 April 2021 which allows the killing and capturing of certain wild bird species where they are causing damage to crops, livestock and fauna or represent a threat to public health or safety. The Declaration allowed for the shooting of wood pigeon to prevent serious damage to arable crops except for the months of June, July and August this year. As in previous years the renewal of the Declaration was the subject of consultation with relevant stakeholders such as hunting, conservation and farming bodies as well as the National Parks and Wildlife Service of my Department.
    I made the decision at the time taking account of scientific advice provided as part of the consultation. This raised concerns about the full year inclusion in the Declaration of wood pigeon on the basis that there is limited evidence to suggest that wood pigeon cause “serious damage” to crops during the summer. It was submitted that there is a lack of comprehensive studies into wood pigeon damage to crops to inform the decision to allow for year-round derogations for their control. Studies of wood pigeon food preference in Ireland from 2013 have shown that in spring, the diet of wood pigeons is dominated by fruit and seeds of trees (Ivy). In summer, the diet is variable and consists of a relatively equal proportion of cereal grains, clover and weed material.

This 2013 study further highlighted that cereal crops were only the preferred food during the autumn months (defined as August–October in the study). Based on current cropping systems, these crops were most likely consumed post-harvest i.e. harvest spillage left on stubble fields. While the derogation is given to ‘prevent serious damage to crops’ there is limited evidence to suggest ‘serious damage’ to crops occurs during the summer period. It was also indicated that shooting of wood pigeon during summer months could have indirect adverse effects on other species such as stock dove and it was recommended that there is a need to “undertake a contemporary review of the species interaction with crops with respect to damage”

Pending such a review, and on the basis of available literature and the “precautionary principle”, I considered it appropriate at the time that the wood pigeon would be removed from the Declaration for the summer months – June, July and August 2020.

At the same time, I recognised that if wood pigeons were seen to cause damage to crops during the summer, landowners could still avail of Section 42 permits under the Wildlife Acts i.e. permits, on a case by case basis, to prevent serious damage caused by individual species on specific lands.

Since the Declaration was signed last month I have considered the matter further in consultation with farming sector interests who raised concerns about the exclusion of the wood pigeon from the Declaration during the June to August period on the basis of damage to crop yield, damage to crops making them difficult to harvest and also faecal contamination.

In the circumstances and in light of potential damage highlighted by farming sector interests, I took the view that consideration of changing the status quo by removing the wood pigeon from the Declaration during this year’s summer could benefit from further information and studies.

Accordingly, I have decided that the status quo be reinstated for the wood pigeon this year i.e. that lethal means would be available to landowners during the three summer months June, July and August to prevent crop damage. I have signed a revised Declaration to this effect. Additionally, the issue of wood pigeon damage to crops during the summer months will be examined with a view to considering this issue in the 2021/22 year. A reply will issue to all correspondence received in my office on this matter.

The fight is not over, but at least we will be prepared for the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

The fight is not over, but at least we will be prepared for the next round.

Yes it will be very important when they open discussion to stakeholders, that we as hunters make our submission outlining the importance of the derogation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Sika98k

“As in previous years the renewal of the Declaration was the subject of consultation with various stakeholders such as hunting, conservation and farming bodies as well as the National Parks and Wildlife Service of my department “

Oh really ? Hunting and farming bodies ? Such as ? The NARGC maybe or the IFA ? Anyone on here that is a member of any body that was consulted with ? Personally I think it’s another half baked idea dreamed up by NPWS which carries about as much sense as the half baked idea to ban the shooting of foxes at night a couple of years ago. That was really unworkable.
    Laws, rules and regulations will never stop criminals from operating outside the law. They act outside the law and have no regard for it.
    Meanwhile honest Joe is burdened with another set of meaningless regulation dreamt up by some twat in an ivory tower.

• Advertisement

Sika98k wrote: »
    “As in previous years the renewal of the Declaration was the subject of consultation with various stakeholders such as hunting, conservation and farming bodies as well as the National Parks and Wildlife Service of my department “

Oh really ? Hunting and farming bodies ? Such as ? The NARGC maybe or the IFA ? Anyone on here that is a member of any body that was consulted with ?

List of stakeholders that were involved.

514614.jpg

If you go to the Review of the Birds Directive Article 9(1)(a) Derogations Process Appendix 9.6 Complete submissions cited, you can read each submission in full as returned by those involved.

For now the derogation is reversed and we can get on with crop protection so there is no need to keep fighting a won battle however all requests for information and number returns etc will be published on npws.ie website as I previously advised, we all need to be vigilant and keep an eye on these requests as they are the trigger for changes to the derogation and hunting laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Sika98k

@cookimonster, thanks for that. I laboriously read through the submissions by all parties. Maybe I’ve missed it but I can see no evidence submitted that wood pigeon cause little damage to arable crops.
    That was the main reason I understand from removing them from the derogation.

Chiparus wrote: »
    For WRITTEN answer on Wednesday, 27 May, 2020.

* To ask the Minister for Culture; Heritage and the Gaeltacht the scientific grounds on which she refused to sign the derogation permit in 2020 which allows farmers to shoot pigeons as part of their crop protection.
    - Chris Andrews T.D.

I signed the Wild Birds State Wide Declaration last month for the period 1 May 2020 to 30 April 2021 which allows the killing and capturing of certain wild bird species where they are causing damage to crops, livestock and fauna or represent a threat to public health or safety. The Declaration allowed for the shooting of wood pigeon to prevent serious damage to arable crops except for the months of June, July and August this year. As in previous years the renewal of the Declaration was the subject of consultation with relevant stakeholders such as hunting, conservation and farming bodies as well as the National Parks and Wildlife Service of my Department.
    I made the decision at the time taking account of scientific advice provided as part of the consultation. This raised concerns about the full year inclusion in the Declaration of wood pigeon on the basis that there is limited evidence to suggest that wood pigeon cause “serious damage” to crops during the summer. It was submitted that there is a lack of comprehensive studies into wood pigeon damage to crops to inform the decision to allow for year-round derogations for their control. Studies of wood pigeon food preference in Ireland from 2013 have shown that in spring, the diet of wood pigeons is dominated by fruit and seeds of trees (Ivy). In summer, the diet is variable and consists of a relatively equal proportion of cereal grains, clover and weed material.

This 2013 study further highlighted that cereal crops were only the preferred food during the autumn months (defined as August–October in the study). Based on current cropping systems, these crops were most likely consumed post-harvest i.e. harvest spillage left on stubble fields. While the derogation is given to ‘prevent serious damage to crops’ there is limited evidence to suggest ‘serious damage’ to crops occurs during the summer period. It was also indicated that shooting of wood pigeon during summer months could have indirect adverse effects on other species such as stock dove and it was recommended that there is a need to “undertake a contemporary review of the species interaction with crops with respect to damage”

Pending such a review, and on the basis of available literature and the “precautionary principle”, I considered it appropriate at the time that the wood pigeon would be removed from the Declaration for the summer months – June, July and August 2020.

At the same time, I recognised that if wood pigeons were seen to cause damage to crops during the summer, landowners could still avail of Section 42 permits under the Wildlife Acts i.e. permits, on a case by case basis, to prevent serious damage caused by individual species on specific lands.

Since the Declaration was signed last month I have considered the matter further in consultation with farming sector interests who raised concerns about the exclusion of the wood pigeon from the Declaration during the June to August period on the basis of damage to crop yield, damage to crops making them difficult to harvest and also faecal contamination.

In the circumstances and in light of potential damage highlighted by farming sector interests, I took the view that consideration of changing the status quo by removing the wood pigeon from the Declaration during this year’s summer could benefit from further information and studies.

Accordingly, I have decided that the status quo be reinstated for the wood pigeon this year i.e. that lethal means would be available to landowners during the three summer months June, July and August to prevent crop damage. I have signed a revised Declaration to this effect. Additionally, the issue of wood pigeon damage to crops during the summer months will be examined with a view to considering this issue in the 2021/22 year. A reply will issue to all correspondence received in my office on this matter.

Does anyone know how one would access those consultations ?

Sika98k wrote: »
    @cookimonster, thanks for that. I laboriously read through the submissions by all parties. Maybe I’ve missed it but I can see no evidence submitted that wood pigeon cause little damage to arable crops.
    That was the main reason I understand from removing them from the derogation.

I think thats the problem, there is no scientific evidence in ethier camp that wood pigeon do crop damage at that time. I'll refer back to my secondary school days 'a theory' is that it may happen, occur etc, scientific evidence is the same outcome when repeated over and over, or words to that effect.
    So as with many a desk top survey you do a lititure review of published articles that closely or exactly match your research subject. For this particular work they seemed to concentrate thier evidence gathering on UK and mainland EU reports or studies.
    So the secound part of the review is complied of basicly a survey of 'stakeholders', this if my memory serves me right is basicly 'qualitative' research, based on groups individual or personal beliefs, experiences and opinions.
    The problem with this is the way in which you ask or frame the question. You can get two very different answers to fundamentally the same question if phrased differently.
    Now I'm not saying that there was any mis-doings here, as the questionaire or survey seems to be legitimate, but you can steer the outcomes by the way the survey or questionaire is constructed.

Any way back on track.... in lieu of any scientific evidence it was easier for the Minister to air on the side of caution, as to the information presented to her, and 'thinking of the children' change the previous terms of the derogation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

The minister is Josepha Madigan as signed at bottom on the derogation.
    For all corvid dates go on to the npws.ie site and look at the state wide declaration.

Doesn't she continue to be the relevant Minister, and continue to be paid, until the new Government is formed and her replacement elected? I'm fairly sure that she does, just like those other clowns, Ross & McGrath.

Thanks,

G.

Whats the betting this study was indeed a EU continental or UK study?
    If this is the case,its "one size fits all" study,which shows again the fallacy of Brussels(orLondon) and Dublin thinking on such issues.Because crows arent common in Germany and France and low in Britan doesnt mean they arent plentiful in Poland or Ireland.But to a tame wildlife biologist sitting in an office in Brussels doing a tabletop study,it is a proable assumption that they are low all over the EU then .Ergo they need to be protected all over Europe.Hence we end up with this nonsense.

Remember submissions and consultations might have to he recived and opened.Doesnt mean they have to, or will be acted on either.We have seen that enough times here with firearms lawsand globally to be fooled by that chimera.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Whats the betting this study was indeed a EU continental or UK study?
    If this is the case,its "one size fits all" study,which shows again the fallacy of Brussels(orLondon) and Dublin thinking on such issues.Because crows arent common in Germany and France and low in Britan doesnt mean they arent plentiful in Poland or Ireland.But to a tame wildlife biologist sitting in an office in Brussels doing a tabletop study,it is a proable assumption that they are low all over the EU then .Ergo they need to be protected all over Europe.Hence we end up with this nonsense.

Remember submissions and consultations might have to he recived and opened.Doesnt mean they have to, or will be acted on either.We have seen that enough times here with firearms lawsand globally to be fooled by that chimera.

Crows may be less common on the continent. But crows were not excluded.
    The report indicates that the population numbers were not an issue with Pigeon.
    Woodpigeon numbers have shown an overall increasing trend since the late 1990s. However, numbers have begun to decline since 2010 which has resulted in the declining trend shown for the recent short term. The European trend is also increasing. Numbers in Ireland have been estimated at 2.8 million individuals.

Woodpigeon is not of conservation concern in Ireland or at a European scale and it has been classified as Secure

The report states that damage is greatest during November to May.
    I can't see the source of this though.
    Damage to livestock: Magpie, Hooded Crow. Control is between December and May, during the peak lambing and calving period.
    · Damage cereal crops: Woodpigeon, Jackdaw, Rook. Control is between November and May, during the early growth phases of the crop.
    · Damage livestock feedlots: Jackdaw, Rook. Control is between November and May, during the period when livestock are housed and/ or fed large amounts of supplementary meal

Maybe that is true. I don't know. But I do know that the above is bad logic regardless.
    The point is to control population, not catch them in the act. If you need reduced numbers by November, you need to start controlling population 6 month previous.

Similarly, this is also bad logic, a clarification request by a NPWS ranger.
    “clarification in relation to shooting of wood pigeon on stubble fields (crops already harvested)”, as “[t]his is widely occurring and should be specifically mentioned as to whether it is permitted or not to rule out any confusion by those partaking in the activity.”

Thankfully, and individual mase a submission as to why shooting stubble is necessary.

Report also claims the derogation is being abused in relation to Woodpigeon .
    The derogation is being abused in relation to Woodpigeon which is subject to widespread recreational shooting for local and tourist hunters during the height of their breeding period.
    · Better enforcement is needed. For example, rookeries are being targeted, the timing of which would be outside the period of control for this species.

Bizarrely, in it's conclusion, the report recomended;
    Woodpigeon can be controlled year round and the others in all months other than January - no change necessary

So all things considered, it seems like it was simply a clerical error. And going forward, we have this report to submit as evidence to all year shooting of woodpigeon.

Studies of wood pigeon food preference in Ireland from 2013 have shown that in spring, the diet of wood pigeons is dominated by fruit and seeds of trees (Ivy). In summer, the diet is variable and consists of a relatively equal proportion of cereal grains, clover and weed material.

Ivy,is not a native plant to Ireland,it is proably also the most damaging invasive plant,next to Japanese knotweed to trees,and any structure or building it crawls over. If wood pigeons are a vector for spreading it's seeds,isn't that all the more a good reason to keep their numbers in check too?

The derogation is being abused in relation to Woodpigeon which is subject to widespread recreational shooting for local and tourist hunters during the height of their breeding period.
    · Better enforcement is needed. For example, rookeries are being targeted, the timing of which would be outside the period of control for this species.

Whoever wrote this really doesn't know what they are on about.
    Pigeons dont nest in rookeries,crows and rooks do.So what are they on about? Corvids or wood pigeons?Two totally different species,and there is a very good reason rooks or crows are shot in late May. Its simply the young are able to leave the nest,and sit out out on the nest support branches,and are known as "squabs" or "branchers" in the UK,when they were shoot in Vicrtorian times and present day with the so called "rook rifles"and were used as a food source too by the poor.They are still tender enough at that stage and are easy targets,as they arent worldy wise like their parents.So hardly breeding season either.

Be as it may,if shooting WP is a problem as alluded to.Would bag limits not be a smarter option to deal with that problem?

“clarification in relation to shooting of wood pigeon on stubble fields (crops already harvested)”, as “[t]his is widely occurring and should be specifically mentioned as to whether it is permitted or not to rule out any confusion by those partaking in the activity.

So no idea of their own rulings,and position on this,as this point was clarified 100% around the same timeframe and reported on by NARGC,which has been a keystone ever since???

A Govt organisation that comes up with beauties like; 100 acre minimum deer lets,trying to make fox lamping illegal, aiding and abetting trying to make one of the most common deer cals illegal,and God knows what else.Should change their title to;

NPWS"We make it up as we go along!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Studies of wood pigeon food preference in Ireland from 2013 have shown that in spring, the diet of wood pigeons is dominated by fruit and seeds of trees (Ivy). In summer, the diet is variable and consists of a relatively equal proportion of cereal grains, clover and weed material.

Ivy,is not a native plant to Ireland,it is proably also the most damaging invasive plant,next to Japanese knotweed to trees,and any structure or building it crawls over. If wood pigeons are a vector for spreading it's seeds,isn't that all the more a good reason to keep their numbers in check too?

Ivy is a native plant. it is a vital plant for pollinators and is a great berry crop for a lot of birds.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2015/feb/19/english-ivy-berry-good-for-birds

• Advertisement

Pigeons dont nest in rookeries,crows and rooks do.So what are they on about?
    hat's the same ranger who submitted the "clarification" about stubble. Clearly has a bone to pick and is casting wide net. But that that point he was refer to Rooks and Jackdaws.

Be as it may,if shooting WP is a problem as alluded to.Would bag limits not be a smarter option to deal with that problem?

Seem like a much more logical step, if we ever get to that point, years down the line

If Ivy is native,then so are fallow deer,pheasents,sika deer,magpies ,grey squirrels and rhododenderon.All introduced species over the last millenia to Ireland.

If Ivy is native,then so are fallow deer,pheasents,sika deer,magpies ,grey squirrels and rhododenderon.All introduced species over the last millenia to Ireland.

Ivy was introduced to Ireland by whom?
    Magpie are native.

Magpie are native.

http://www.irish-birds.info/magpie.htm
    It is believed that magpies were first recorded in Wexford in 1676 when up to a dozen flew across the Irish sea from Britain. Breeding in Dublin was first noted in 1852.

Mellor wrote: »

They were not introduced by people, they came themselves. They are deemed native, similar to more recent species to arrive like collared dove and reed warbler.

Magpie are native.

Apprently by the Normans.Whether by accident or design.PITA destructive plant.
    They were not introduced by people, they came themselves. They are deemed native, similar to more recent species to arrive like collared dove and reed warbler.

Still non native and invasive tho going by the definitions...Or is that definition a moveable feast??

Apprently by the Normans.Whether by accident or design.PITA destructive plant.

Still non native and invasive tho going by the definitions...Or is that definition a moveable feast??
    Huge number of species would be negatively affected if ivy was eradicated. Is there some peer reviewed data that ivy introduced by Normans or is it just a google search?

Ivy is non-native by definitions you made up? All reputable ecology agencies define it as native.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭Kat1170

In that case almost every, if not every species is non native to any part of the planet that was covered by ice in the last ice age.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Pigeons dont nest in rookeries,crows and rooks do.So what are they on about? Corvids or wood pigeons?Two totally different species,and there is a very good reason rooks or crows are shot in late May. Its simply the young are able to leave the nest,and sit out out on the nest support branches,and are known as "squabs" or "branchers" in the UK,when they were shoot in Vicrtorian times and present day with the so called "rook rifles"and were used as a food source too by the poor.They are still tender enough at that stage and are easy targets,as they arent worldy wise like their parents.So hardly breeding season either.

“clarification in relation to shooting of wood pigeon on stubble fields (crops already harvested)”, as “[t]his is widely occurring and should be specifically mentioned as to whether it is permitted or not to rule out any confusion by those partaking in the activity.

So no idea of their own rulings,and position on this,as this point was clarified 100% around the same timeframe and reported on by NARGC,which has been a keystone ever since???

A Govt organisation that comes up with beauties like; 100 acre minimum deer lets,trying to make fox lamping illegal, aiding and abetting trying to make one of the most common deer cals illegal,and God knows what else.Should change their title to;

NPWS"We make it up as we go along!"

Where did they get that ****e?

They never opened a pigeon's crop in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

A hundred years ago, the magpie was described as a rare and enigmatic species.

Now, they have been on the planet for c.250 million years, but they are some vermin, alright.

I've got 2 in the garden atm, 4 last year - going to set a biscuit tin with a cracked egg on top soon - love to see if it works.

Advertisement