Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aitke

Second that. I couldn't hear the proctor though. That would've been annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 corkgal_89

Aitke wrote: »

One of S2 was quite interesting :/. S1 seemed to have shorter prose than last attempt.

I presume they’re different essay prompts for each of the days/sittings!? Shorter prose is a good thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bartman26

So how do you think scoring will be affected? Shorter exam, shorter questions etc

Unsure, we'll have to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 galwaypharmer

Unsure, we'll have to see.

They've said in the green booklet that scoring will be the same as other exams as scores from other sittings are competing for places....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DivaDanto

How did people find section 1 and 2? I thought section 1 was so much tougher than the practice questions! 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sbm_s

impossible to know with s1 but after yesterdays performance with those essays I will definitely be repeating in Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tacadh

I found section 2 grand, had handy enough themes. I was very disappointed with section 1 however, I was pressed for time and had to guess a good few at the end. Didn’t really feel the click with any questions either. At least we’ve another week to prepare for section 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

After reading some of the horror stories about ProctorU on the subreddit I'm a bit nervous about section 3.

Tacadh wrote: »
    I found section 2 grand, had handy enough themes. I was very disappointed with section 1 however, I was pressed for time and had to guess a good few at the end. Didn’t really feel the click with any questions either. At least we’ve another week to prepare for section 3.

Are the themes the same for each of the days / sessions or are they switching them up the whole time I wonder?! .. Be interesting to know!!

• Advertisement

corkgal_89 wrote: »
    Are the themes the same for each of the days / sessions or are they switching them up the whole time I wonder?! .. Be interesting to know!!

They vary. I know several people sitting the gamsat and all have had different themes.

I know a person that had one of the themes similar if not same as another friend, but the test was held same day, slightly different times.

god this process is actually crazy - so unstandardized

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

Wow, I should not have visited the subreddit. I am disgusted about the allegations that people have been sharing essay topics, but also really disappointed that Acer have been giving the same essay topics for a days worth of exams. It sounds like a not insignificant number of candidates have been sharing exam content with their pals.

I don't know anyone sitting the exam. I invigilated exams for years at Uni and a set up like this where the same essay topics were used at different exam times would never have been allowed to occur. It is all too easy, with even 10 minutes notice, to gain a huge advantage in a half hour essay task. It will be interesting to see what is done about these allegations.

Found S1 tough, had scored 70-85 on first go of all practice papers but I still couldn't say with certainty that I was in that ballpark for the real thing. Was slightly thrown by one of the essay tasks but I take responsibility for that it was one of the themes I just didnt pay enough attention to.

Good luck to you all.

Wow, I should not have visited the subreddit. I am disgusted about the allegations that people have been sharing essay topics, but also really disappointed that Acer have been giving the same essay topics for a days worth of exams. It sounds like a not insignificant number of candidates have been sharing exam content with their pals.

I don't know anyone sitting the exam. I invigilated exams for years at Uni and a set up like this where the same essay topics were used at different exam times would never have been allowed to occur. It is all too easy, with even 10 minutes notice, to gain a huge advantage in a half hour essay task. It will be interesting to see what is done about these allegations.

Found S1 tough, had scored 70-85 on first go of all practice papers but I still couldn't say with certainty that I was in that ballpark for the real thing. Was slightly thrown by one of the essay tasks but I take responsibility for that it was one of the themes I just didnt pay enough attention to.

Good luck to you all.

Agree with you there - bit of a joke alright! I don’t know anyone sitting this year either..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Peek1

My days... I felt quite confident in section 2 with both of my essay, it would be very upsetting if they scale the scores due to people cheating.

I feel a bit better after reading people had trouble with section 1, it was very tough, and I think I was hesitant for every single question.

The subreddit is also locked now, which is the correct move for sure.

The way ACER have handled this would really test your trust in them....like even regards results, how they standardise, they seem like a complete shambles. I don't know how these results can be in any way valid, people know essay topics before they go in. I feel like theres more standardisation in TY class tests like this is just madness.

Peek1 wrote: »
    My days... I felt quite confident in section 2 with both of my essay, it would be very upsetting if they scale the scores due to people cheating.

I feel a bit better after reading people had trouble with section 1, it was very tough, and I think I was hesitant for every single question.

The subreddit is also locked now, which is the correct move for sure.

I wouldn't worry about it, most of the people following that subreddit are Australian so shouldnt really directly affect our cohert.

Indeed section 1 was tough, I honestly couldn't say I was confident about any of my answers for it. Anyways, all we can do now is do our best for section 3 which is what really matters!

Tacadh wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it, most of the people following that subreddit are Australian so shouldnt really directly affect our cohert.

Indeed section 1 was tough, I honestly couldn't say I was confident about any of my answers for it. Anyways, all we can do now is do our best for section 3 which is what really matters!

Oh, I was under the impression that the scores and scaling of the scores includes every gamsat taker? or is it per country or country of application?

Peek1 wrote: »
    Oh, I was under the impression that the scores and scaling of the scores includes every gamsat taker? or is it per country or country of application?

Can’t say for certain, but the percentile curves released are separate for the UK and Ireland, and the Australian cohort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 markocokram

Can confirm, we're just competing against each other and the UK. Apparently Irish people score better on S2 in general than the UK. Better standard of English :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bella11

Hows everyone feeling for section 3?I think section 1 was more difficult than any practice papers Ive done - hoping section 3 is easier...

Not feeling good for section 3. Schools closure has meant I have been trying to teach myself the sciences while caring for my two small children. Partner is Frontline so out at work every day.

Section 1 and 2 should have compensated for my lack of science but I think I did poorly. I scored really high on the practice tests, 70, 80, 85 and I won a competitive humanities scholarship for postgraduate studies but my essays ended up being infantile on the day.

Im having a medistential crisis and cannot even sort a Lewis from a Bronsted base this week. I have come a long way in Chemistry and org chem but I don't think enough to pull it out of the bag. Sept will be my only other opportunity to do gamsat and I will still be trying to juggle kids/study. Stoopid pandemic. I think this will be the easiest GAMSAT ever. No fatigue element as the exams are short and going in only having to think right or left brain.

Exams are funny though, you can be thinking your a shoe in and be unlucky on the day and sometimes it just goes your way.

Staying positive and calm and just doing as much prep as you can is the only approach now. I'm also using chocolate ice cream to keep me going!

It will be all over in a few days, you can take a break and drink wine or binge on Netflix whatever, keep the chin up now until your done. Heck it's only 3 months then until the next shot.

Not feeling good for section 3. Schools closure has meant I have been trying to teach myself the sciences while caring for my two small children. Partner is Frontline so out at work every day.

Section 1 and 2 should have compensated for my lack of science but I think I did poorly. I scored really high on the practice tests, 70, 80, 85 and I won a competitive humanities scholarship for postgraduate studies but my essays ended up being infantile on the day.

Im having a medistential crisis and cannot even sort a Lewis from a Bronsted base this week. I have come a long way in Chemistry and org chem but I don't think enough to pull it out of the bag. Sept will be my only other opportunity to do gamsat and I will still be trying to juggle kids/study. Stoopid pandemic. I think this will be the easiest GAMSAT ever. No fatigue element as the exams are short and going in only having to think right or left brain.

Exams are funny though, you can be thinking your a shoe in and be unlucky on the day and sometimes it just goes your way.

Staying positive and calm and just doing as much prep as you can is the only approach now. I'm also using chocolate ice cream to keep me going!

It will be all over in a few days, you can take a break and drink wine or binge on Netflix whatever, keep the chin up now until your done. Heck it's only 3 months then until the next shot.

Yeah v true....cant agree on it being the easiest GAMSAT ever though...I agree fatigue is not the issue, but they will just scale the scores accordingly, won't be throwing 70s out to everyone because its online, shorter number of questions means you've less of a spread and easier to get stressed when you get one set of questions wrong as theres such little questions

bella11 wrote: »
    Yeah v true....cant agree on it being the easiest GAMSAT ever though...I agree fatigue is not the issue, but they will just scale the scores accordingly, won't be throwing 70s out to everyone because its online, shorter number of questions means you've less of a spread and easier to get stressed when you get one set of questions wrong as theres such little questions

I agree, feels like section 1 was one of the most difficult ones I've done, had pretty much no "easy" questions, so I'm assuming same story for s3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 roseggalway

Anyone have any last minute section 3 advice for the coming days ? I know cramming acer questions/ science info is not something that would be beneficial, but was disappointed and disheartened with my section 1 which is usually my best and would appreciate any tips/ strategies

You have probably done most of your learning. Nearing a marathon date, the advice is generally to have active rest. I think that might be the correct approach here too. I plan to just revise my notes I made yourself during the course of study and focus on recovering from section 1 and getting into a good frame of mind for section 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Anyone have any last minute section 3 advice for the coming days ? I know cramming acer questions/ science info is not something that would be beneficial, but was disappointed and disheartened with my section 1 which is usually my best and would appreciate any tips/ strategies

Know maths and graphs particular integers, dividing of large numbers and fractions, graphs also

Has anyone done section 3 yet? If so how did it compare to the practice booklets, was it more reasoning based again?

• Advertisement

Have ye heard of peoples sections being reopened? It seems a bit crazy, obviously having a technical issue is awwfuull, but should it not be a whole new paper you get? like there doesn't seem to be any standardisation with this exam at all

Advertisement