Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 markocokram

bella11 wrote: »
    Have ye heard of peoples sections being reopened? It seems a bit crazy, obviously having a technical issue is awwfuull, but should it not be a whole new paper you get? like there doesn't seem to be any standardisation with this exam at all

I lost 10 minutes of my S1 due to a proctoring issue. Messaged Acer and they investigated and gave me back the time that I missed.

In a sense, a new paper altogether would also be unfair as if you didn't like your paper you could just kick your plug under the table and claim technical issue and get a new, potentially easier paper. That's just my opinion anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bella11

I lost 10 minutes of my S1 due to a proctoring issue. Messaged Acer and they investigated and gave me back the time that I missed.

In a sense, a new paper altogether would also be unfair as if you didn't like your paper you could just kick your plug under the table and claim technical issue and get a new, potentially easier paper. That's just my opinion anyways.

Yeah, suppose if it happened to me I would want the same solution.. there is no really fair answer to any of this... hopefully points just go down

Yeah, suppose if it happened to me I would want the same solution.. there is no really fair answer to any of this... hopefully points just go down

Even a 1 point drop would be lovely.

People had the option to defer the exam and even if 100 people chose this option that would mean we're the smallest cohort in the last 2 years, therefore less competition, therefore easier to get on the bell curve. Plus, financial circumstances for some will have changed so a few more will drop off plus potentially less internationals although I don't think that will happen.

Even a 1 point drop would be lovely.

People had the option to defer the exam and even if 100 people chose this option that would mean we're the smallest cohort in the last 2 years, therefore less competition, therefore easier to get on the bell curve. Plus, financial circumstances for some will have changed so a few more will drop off plus potentially less internationals although I don't think that will happen.

Fingers crossed!it makes sense that they would at least 1, Dublin has fluctuated before, RCSI was 56 once and 58 in the final rounds for most years except last year. With a * and UCD the same. Last year seemed to be the biggest spike

Fingers crossed!it makes sense that they would at least 1, Dublin has fluctuated before, RCSI was 56 once and 58 in the final rounds for most years except last year. With a * and UCD the same. Last year seemed to be the biggest spike

There will be everyone who missed out by one point last year so points won't drop by more than one I reckon. Hopefully RCSI drops by one, that would be great

• Advertisement

There will be everyone who missed out by one point last year so points won't drop by more than one I reckon. Hopefully RCSI drops by one, that would be great

Yeah thats true...hopefully they come down 1...RCSI was 59* in final offers according to their website

• Registered Users Posts: 20 purnimasnow

Anybody else feeling so exhausted after this prolonged GAMSAT? Motivation to study has been low. Sitting tomorrow and I cannot wait for it to be over!! However S3 does scare me.. a lot..

Anybody else feeling so exhausted after this prolonged GAMSAT? Motivation to study has been low. Sitting tomorrow and I cannot wait for it to be over!! However S3 does scare me.. a lot..

I'm the same. Tried to reschedule yesterday to being my exam forward but no luck. What's done is done at this stage, feel like the longer I wait the more tired and unmotivated I'll be

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DivaDanto

Hi all, how did people find s3!? So hard to know- this wait is gonna be a killer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Tacadh wrote: »
    Has anyone done section 3 yet? If so how did it compare to the practice booklets, was it more reasoning based again?

Yeah not looking for specifics but just a general idea if most of the questions were based on prior knowledge or finding the answer from information they give you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

I did my section 3 today. I think it was an expected mix of very basic requisite knowledge and lots of logic needed. I feel if someone has done well on practice tests they would have done reasonably well on it.

I dont feel like I did well. I ran out of time after only 42 questions and I feel I was guessing the majority. I spent four months studying from a non science background with homeschooling as well and didn't get the syllabus even half covered never mind practice qs so I would imagine I'm an outlier on the side of the curve nobody wants to be so don't worry based on my post mortem.

It's only 3 months to next sitting so don't feel like I can relax for any length of time though I have a banging headache and feel utterly drained do the rest of today is pizza and Space Force on Netflix. Back to physics study tomorrow. ��

The very best of luck guys, honestly if you have been doing ok with your practice papers you should be ��

I did my section 3 today. I think it was an expected mix of very basic requisite knowledge and lots of logic needed. I feel if someone has done well on practice tests they would have done reasonably well on it.

I dont feel like I did well. I ran out of time after only 42 questions and I feel I was guessing the majority. I spent four months studying from a non science background with homeschooling as well and didn't get the syllabus even half covered never mind practice qs so I would imagine I'm an outlier on the side of the curve nobody wants to be so don't worry based on my post mortem.

It's only 3 months to next sitting so don't feel like I can relax for any length of time though I have a banging headache and feel utterly drained do the rest of today is pizza and Space Force on Netflix. Back to physics study tomorrow. ��

The very best of luck guys, honestly if you have been doing ok with your practice papers you should be ��

Did it today also...found it tough enough. Difficulty level seems to vary over days...dont know how they're going to standardise all this. Id prefer to get in on a normal exam, don't think it was the right call by ACER to go online - not for the stakes involved. Too much pot luck with it all. At least if it doesn't go well for you on the day in the hall, then thats life, seems unfair how everything has gone on - we really have been at the mercy of ACER for the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Peek1

Also had it today.. felt terrible honestly, didn't get to finish all of it, guessing lots of them.
    Didn't enjoy this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Guessed a lot of mine too. Honestly it wouldn't have been too bad if I was properly prepared, eg. "chemical x + chemical y gives which product" hadn't a clue as I'd slacked off my chemistry revision :pac: oh well.

110 questions in normal section 3 and 60 in this one? Probably easier to do a bit better with 110 questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Woodcotter

First time GAMSAT-sitter here. I must say I found it very tough. Only made the decision to go ahead with the medicine dream before Christmas so don't feel like I can be too upset given how many people work their socks off for years to get a place on GEM courses.

I will say, experience of the online GAMSAT was very stressful. I currently work in an extremely fast-paced and long-hours type of environment where burn-out and breakdowns are unfortunately par for the course. I thought these experiences would have given me a good sense of my pain barrier, but that was before I met GAMSAT section III:)

Sections I and II were ok, but at no point during section III did I feel like I got going at all and I must say that it didn't feel like my revision had really prepared me for the style of the exam. On logging out I felt like the whole thing was a bit of a blur and felt deflated that the hours I spent chugging through self-study didn't really translate to my understanding of the questions.

Given the exam is still ongoing I don't want to go into specifics but would love to hear more of your thoughts when the dust has settled.

I just wanted to say, I have really appreciated hearing everyone's experiences on this forum. This resource is an absolute "GEM" (sorry!) for anyone going through this process alone and in the past few days it has been cathartic to know that, while this is a competitive exam, everyone really is in the same boat at the end of the day.

Whatever happens, I wish you all the best of luck and hope you manage to get the most out of the summer months ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 purnimasnow

I have been really competent at all past ACER papers and Des O’Neill papers.. but yesterday was so so difficult. It was nothing like any sample paper. The knowledge required was so integrated. Feel very flat and disappointed.

I have been really competent at all past ACER papers and Des O’Neill papers.. but yesterday was so so difficult. It was nothing like any sample paper. The knowledge required was so integrated. Feel very flat and disappointed.

Agreed....stress is definitely intensified doing it online also...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CopperTone1

What medical schools are people hoping for?
    Any current medical school students have a pros and cons lift for their University?

I'm not sure if it's just more likely that those who did poorly would post on forum to look for any hope that is was universal but it seems all posters found the exam very difficult. If on having a good long think about medicine in light of the exam you decide you still want it, then we can only use this as a driver folks and start honing our logic skills. I can't imagine how exhausting the traditional format is and we don't know how it will be come Sept 9th but it's only 3 months away.

My plan is to do practice questions every day between now and then. First have to actually figure out the answers and then work on speed.

It's a tough exam at the best of times, lots of people don't get it first try but I hope y'all did better than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tacadh

Found section 3 very tough, it's a bit comforting that others feel the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Woodcotter wrote: »
    First time GAMSAT-sitter here. I must say I found it very tough. Only made the decision to go ahead with the medicine dream before Christmas so don't feel like I can be too upset given how many people work their socks off for years to get a place on GEM courses.

I will say, experience of the online GAMSAT was very stressful. I currently work in an extremely fast-paced and long-hours type of environment where burn-out and breakdowns are unfortunately par for the course. I thought these experiences would have given me a good sense of my pain barrier, but that was before I met GAMSAT section III:)

Sections I and II were ok, but at no point during section III did I feel like I got going at all and I must say that it didn't feel like my revision had really prepared me for the style of the exam. On logging out I felt like the whole thing was a bit of a blur and felt deflated that the hours I spent chugging through self-study didn't really translate to my understanding of the questions.

Given the exam is still ongoing I don't want to go into specifics but would love to hear more of your thoughts when the dust has settled.

I just wanted to say, I have really appreciated hearing everyone's experiences on this forum. This resource is an absolute "GEM" (sorry!) for anyone going through this process alone and in the past few days it has been cathartic to know that, while this is a competitive exam, everyone really is in the same boat at the end of the day.

Whatever happens, I wish you all the best of luck and hope you manage to get the most out of the summer months ahead!

For what it's worth, I randomly guessed the last 30-35 questions in the March 2019 sitting of the GAMSAT. I got a 59 and secured a place at my first choice. A few classmates had similar experiences, so I am not just lucky.

For what it's worth, I randomly guessed the last 30-35 questions in the March 2019 sitting of the GAMSAT. I got a 59 and secured a place at my first choice. A few classmates had similar experiences, so I am not just lucky.

Wow thanks for taking the time to post that! I guess that is part of how the exam is designed; you come away not being certain of any answers.

Theres definitely more lee-way to guess with 110 questions....I think the exam will definitely will be scaled to compare to the proper exam....its not really any comparison in relation to the stamina/fatigue element when you can sit them on separate days at home etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DivaDanto

Hey guys, just wondering what age people applying for GEM this year are? I'll be 29 if lucky enough to get an offer so just wondering if I'd be on the older side of things or if many more in a similar situation

DivaDanto wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering what age people applying for GEM this year are? I'll be 29 if lucky enough to get an offer so just wondering if I'd be on the older side of things or if many more in a similar situation

10% of my class is 28 or older. Oldest is 39. Oldest person ever was in their 50s. Age isn't a factor. A lot of the 24 year olds come across as much older and wiser than their years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bartman26

DivaDanto wrote: »

Diva, you're a spring lamb, I'm 38 and hope to start in Sept! No matter what age you start it's a long road.. Eg it's 9yrs total from the day you start the course to be a fully qualified gp if you go straight onto scheme after intern year. Try not to think about the age thing too much or you'll freak out. I know! :)

Did it today also...found it tough enough. Difficulty level seems to vary over days...dont know how they're going to standardise all this. Id prefer to get in on a normal exam, don't think it was the right call by ACER to go online - not for the stakes involved. Too much pot luck with it all. At least if it doesn't go well for you on the day in the hall, then thats life, seems unfair how everything has gone on - we really have been at the mercy of ACER for the past few months.

Bella11 - To be honest it's very easy to get disillusioned with the Gamsat. For a start I don't know why we have to import an exam to use as a measurement to see who should or should not study medicine.. I don't think its a good judge at all of who will do well as a medic. I know someone who sat the exam 6-7 times before they got it and then were never out of the top 10% of their class. But they lost 4yrs to just sitting the gamsat! I'd like to see the universities devise their own exam + a mixture of interview and interpersonal/bedside manner observational tests. But it is what it is I guess.

Bartman26 wrote: »
    Diva, you're a spring lamb, I'm 38 and hope to start in Sept! No matter what age you start it's a long road.. Eg it's 9yrs total from the day you start the course to be a fully qualified gp if you go straight onto scheme after intern year. Try not to think about the age thing too much or you'll freak out. I know! :)

Fair play to you, what university are you hoping for?

• Advertisement

Fair play to you, what university are you hoping for?

Thanks flimsy, 3rd time lucky for ucd I hope after twice missing on waiting list.. Suppose I'm a little worried about what effect online sitting might have on the scores as I sat in Sept but acer are saying it will be comparable despite the very different sitting conditions. I think there might be more places up for Irish students if non nationals aren't able to travel?

Advertisement