Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hopeful GEM

No news yet :) Why do you think you won't be able to get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 campmed

No news yet :) Why do you think you won't be able to get in?

I'm applying as a non-mature student. As I suspected they announced that they're using predicted grading for leaving certs - might result in grade inflation, but who knows. Thought I'd try the GAMSAT as everything seems to be on hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 galwaypharmer

campmed wrote: »
    I'm applying as a non-mature student. As I suspected they announced that they're using predicted grading for leaving certs - might result in grade inflation, but who knows. Thought I'd try the GAMSAT as everything seems to be on hold.

There will still be a bell curve with the LC - only a certain amount get As every year etc...

campmed wrote: »
    Aw okay. Well look, there's always hope. And even if you don't get this time on HPAT and LC, there's always GAMSAT. Can do a 3 year degree and work away on GAMSAT during1st year. The threshold to get into graduate entry medicine is a good bit lower than undergrad entry. To get a spot in Limerick for med for example, you only need to get about 45th percentile in the GAMSAT, whereas in undergrad entry it would be about 85th+ percentile on HPAT as well as LC points. But if med is where you know you need to be, you will get there. Stay strong! I also missed out on undergrad med so I firmly believe there's hope for all. DM me if you want to chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

Registration for Sept 2020 exam opens shortly, and closes before we will have our results for the "March" exam.

• Advertisement

You know Acer are dominating your life when they make you start questioning the difference between AM and PM.......no words at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 corkgal_89

You know Acer are dominating your life when they make you start questioning the difference between AM and PM.......no words at this stage!

https://youtu.be/tCRwjtz4g9k
    Forget organic chemistry and physics.. this is all I have in my head right now!!

corkgal_89 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/tCRwjtz4g9k
    Forget organic chemistry and physics.. this is all I have in my head right now!!

Lol, they should really employ some proof readers, they even had PM in bold, for an exam that assesses precision lol

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Peek1

Hey, has anyone tried getting info about loans from banks?

AIB and BOI used to have dedicated pages to the graduate medicine loans that they offered but I can't seem to find them anymore (I saw the pages like 2/3 years ago). Do they still offer them? (UL and RCSI mention BOI, but would it work for say UCD also?)

Also, was told that generally you would ask about the loans after you have received an offer from a college, and not before... If you are required to pay the course fee before starting, do I have to have savings or I can just trust that I will receive an offer for a loan from the bank?

I've never dealt with loans and banks before so sorry if there is an obvious answer.

Hope everyone is feeling reading for the exam by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Peek1 wrote: »

AIB and BOI used to have dedicated pages to the graduate medicine loans that they offered but I can't seem to find them anymore (I saw the pages like 2/3 years ago). Do they still offer them? (UL and RCSI mention BOI, but would it work for say UCD also?)

Also, was told that generally you would ask about the loans after you have received an offer from a college, and not before... If you are required to pay the course fee before starting, do I have to have savings or I can just trust that I will receive an offer for a loan from the bank?

I've never dealt with loans and banks before so sorry if there is an obvious answer.

I went to the RCSI open day a few months back and the admissions woman told us if we got a competitive score on the GAMSAT (i.e. 59 or more) we were almost guaranteed a place and to go to the BOI on College Green (specifically that one for RCSI) and have a chat with the loan officer there. Basically, they take your details and give you the forms/documentation to bring when you're officially applying for the loan so it's quick and easy. With UCD I think it's BOI as well but you go to the branch on their campus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Peek1 wrote: »

I contacted the UL branch about the loan. Essentially you must have a guarantor, who must live in Ireland. Unfortunately this rules me out. So I have a 64 on GAMSAT, and cannot afford to study in Ireland. The financial barrier towards accessing GEM courses are ridiculous - especially since they have literally calling doctors back from overseas to cope with the covid crisis. I thought the point of these courses was to broaden access.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭taxignorant

avalon68 wrote: »
    I contacted the UL branch about the loan. Essentially you must have a guarantor, who must live in Ireland. Unfortunately this rules me out. So I have a 64 on GAMSAT, and cannot afford to study in Ireland. The financial barrier towards accessing GEM courses are ridiculous - especially since they have literally calling doctors back from overseas to cope with the covid crisis. I thought the point of these courses was to broaden access.

Avalon, congratulations on your great mark. Well done. That is very tough to deal with the bank loan. Could you approach other lenders, including the credit union?

Do you have a guarantor who lives abroad?

Would it be an option to study abroad perhaps where fees may be cheaper or other kinds of student funding are available?

So sorry to hear that! With a score like that, its a pity that that's a barrier. Would you consider applying to the UK? Some universities accept a GAMSAT that high and their system is similar to ours. Also, after you're done your foundation years as a house officer, you'd be able to come and practice in Ireland relatively easily given the similarities in our training systems and relationship with the UK

So sorry to hear that! With a score like that, it's a pity that that's a barrier. Would you consider applying to the UK? Some universities accept a GAMSAT that high and their system is similar to ours. Also, after you're done your foundation years as a house officer, you'd be able to come and practice in Ireland relatively easily given the similarities in our training systems and relationship with the UK

I have applied in the UK too - have 2 offers to study medicine there. Ive been working in the UK for several years, but really would prefer to train in Ireland. It's just really frustrating that opportunities in Ireland are limited by money. I'm an adult - I shouldn't need a guarantor. I have an excellent credit score. No debt. I wouldn't ask parents or friends to act as a guarantor - I just wouldn't want to put them in that position, just in case something happened. I enquired about the scholarship to UL a while back and not eligible for that either as I didn't enter university on an access scheme....HEAR & DARE didn't exist when I went to university first time around.

I have applied in the UK too - have 2 offers to study medicine there. Ive been working in the UK for several years, but really would prefer to train in Ireland. It's just really frustrating that opportunities in Ireland are limited by money. I'm an adult - I shouldn't need a guarantor. I have an excellent credit score. No debt. I wouldn't ask parents or friends to act as a guarantor - I just wouldn't want to put them in that position, just in case something happened. I enquired about the scholarship to UL a while back and not eligible for that either as I didn't enter university on an access scheme....HEAR & DARE didn't exist when I went to university first time around.
    Oh no, that is a real pity. But at least you do have the 2 offers in the UK and it does work out cheaper there. As far as I know, Cork offer some scholarships but they're based on performance within the programme itself. Maybe a few more years in the UK might not be so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 humboldt

Does anyone know if the CAO email us/acknowledge receipt of our GAMSAT results in any way? I entered my CAO number on my ACER account but I can't see anything about it on my CAO account.

humboldt wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the CAO email us/acknowledge receipt of our GAMSAT results in any way? I entered my CAO number on my ACER account but I can't see anything about it on my CAO account.
    They said they'll be ready on our CAO about the same time as the results for the May sitting of GAMSAT when I emailed them about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 humboldt

They said they'll be ready on our CAO about the same time as the results for the May sitting of GAMSAT when I emailed them about it :)

Thanks Hopeful GEM

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

I totally empathise with you. I've lived in Ireland for years but I'm not from here so I don't have family to act as my guarantors. I do have a boyfriend who wanted to cosign, but BoI at UL said I had to be 'related' to him, and my 'family member' had to have lived in Ireland continuously for 10 years. On boards I saw that someone got their husband to cosign successfully. In the end, I had to get loans from my home country which thankfully worked out or else my GEM dreams would have been over, barring a quick courthouse marriage. Can you get loans from the UK? Even the UK government loans may allow you to study in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoundPony

humboldt wrote: »

Yes they confirm by email when the results are available to view in your CAO application. They then give you a chance to tell them if the result showing isn't your highest score (see below).

For those applying this year, just watch your email and check your application occasionally. They do have procedures in place to correct issues even if your score isn't your highest (didn't hear of this happening to anyone though) or if there is an issue with your application (ie they deem you not eligible the week before the offers are out - they will tell you what to do to correct it - sometimes people don't send totally correct documents). Given the timelines are a little shorter this year I would guess, I have no doubt they'll give you time to correct things but I'd also advise checking every now and again.

Having learned from my application, basically the CAO handles just the applications and organisation of scores, etc. So the CAO don't actually play any part in validating your application other than collating all paperwork and scores. But you do need to make sure you double check they received your score and it is your highest. You will see your score in your application

Sometime in July the university admissions staff go to the CAO office to inspect all the applications to determine eligibility. The applications need to be complete before this happens so the CAO GAMSAT results are uploaded and the email is sent to applications well before the admissions officers go in to inspect.

Once the admissions officers are finished inspecting all applications, you get notified by email from the CAO to say whether you are eligible/not eligible. If not eligible, it tells you why (e.g. you didn't sent an official transcript) and gives you a week or so to "appeal" and forward the correct paperwork.

If you are not eligible, I wouldn't automatically panic (unless you didn't actually get a 2.1 on your first level 8 degree) because they do this to a lot of people it seems.

Personally, I had to send some additional paperwork. The reason I was deemed ineligible was unclear to me on the email but *important* the CAO can't tell you why or what you need to do to correct it - you need to contact the admissions office of each university if you have questions. (This point will be helpful when you are trying to call the CAO endlessly and they don't answer :P) This email also got released at 4:45pm on a Friday - I did't sleep all weekend. FUN. (The admissions offices did offer some apology for the timing at least :D)

They confirmed the appeal result a few days before the actual offers are out - it is a torturous wait but once you hit all the criteria (2.1 or higher is your first level 8 degree) you should be totally fine with the appeals process. Again a lot of people get deemed ineligible for varying weird reasons and it all ends up fine. Again I freaked out and need not have lost like 4 years of my life to stress that week so don't do what I did.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone.

Dear Applicant,

This is an automated e-mail generated by the e-mail address provided in your CAO application.

Your GAMSAT results are available to view on our website www.cao.ie under 'My Application'.

If you find that we have no GAMSAT score recorded for you or if your previous GAMSAT score is higher, a copy of such results should be forwarded to CAO.
    If they are incorrect or you have a better result, a copy of such results should be forwarded to CAO.
    These should be posted by 15 June showing your CAO Application Number, GAMSAT Candidate Number, and Section results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

RoundPony wrote: »
    Yes they confirm by email when the results are available to view in your CAO application. They then give you a chance to tell them if the result showing isn't your highest score (see below).

For those applying this year, just watch your email and check your application occasionally. They do have procedures in place to correct issues even if your score isn't your highest (didn't hear of this happening to anyone though) or if there is an issue with your application (ie they deem you not eligible the week before the offers are out - they will tell you what to do to correct it - sometimes people don't send totally correct documents). Given the timelines are a little shorter this year I would guess, I have no doubt they'll give you time to correct things but I'd also advise checking every now and again.

Having learned from my application, basically the CAO handles just the applications and organisation of scores, etc. So the CAO don't actually play any part in validating your application other than collating all paperwork and scores. But you do need to make sure you double check they received your score and it is your highest. You will see your score in your application

Sometime in July the university admissions staff go to the CAO office to inspect all the applications to determine eligibility. The applications need to be complete before this happens so the CAO GAMSAT results are uploaded and the email is sent to applications well before the admissions officers go in to inspect.

Once the admissions officers are finished inspecting all applications, you get notified by email from the CAO to say whether you are eligible/not eligible. If not eligible, it tells you why (e.g. you didn't sent an official transcript) and gives you a week or so to "appeal" and forward the correct paperwork.

If you are not eligible, I wouldn't automatically panic (unless you didn't actually get a 2.1 on your first level 8 degree) because they do this to a lot of people it seems.

Personally, I had to send some additional paperwork. The reason I was deemed ineligible was unclear to me on the email but *important* the CAO can't tell you why or what you need to do to correct it - you need to contact the admissions office of each university if you have questions. (This point will be helpful when you are trying to call the CAO endlessly and they don't answer :P) This email also got released at 4:45pm on a Friday - I did't sleep all weekend. FUN. (The admissions offices did offer some apology for the timing at least :D)

They confirmed the appeal result a few days before the actual offers are out - it is a torturous wait but once you hit all the criteria (2.1 or higher is your first level 8 degree) you should be totally fine with the appeals process. Again a lot of people get deemed ineligible for varying weird reasons and it all ends up fine. Again I freaked out and need not have lost like 4 years of my life to stress that week so don't do what I did.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone.

Dear Applicant,

This is an automated e-mail generated by the e-mail address provided in your CAO application.

Your GAMSAT results are available to view on our website www.cao.ie under 'My Application'.

If you find that we have no GAMSAT score recorded for you or if your previous GAMSAT score is higher, a copy of such results should be forwarded to CAO.
    If they are incorrect or you have a better result, a copy of such results should be forwarded to CAO.
    These should be posted by 15 June showing your CAO Application Number, GAMSAT Candidate Number, and Section results.

I had the same situation...had to appeal and only got confirmation that my appeal was successful one day before offers came out. I believe it was the 31sr of July!

To avoid being deemed ineligible, make triple sure your transcripts are official and complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bartman26

Avalon68 I feel your pain!! I applied 1st in 2017 and got UL.. Didn't take up the place as my first preference was Dublin for accommodation with family and other reasons. Reapplied in 2018 but got UL again so I accepted.. This time around I applied for the grad med loan but got rejected, even with a guarantor because I had been on the credit bureau because of a mortgage from 2007 (which is on track now).. I started but had to leave as financial pressure was too much of a strain. Have reapplied again! :) and hoping Dublin will work out this time but still have to try and get loan over the line. I went back to work for the past two years to save but my word they don't make it easy in this country.. Qatari students who come here have their fees paid as long as they commit to working for 10years back in Qatar after graduating (as far as I'm aware) In the Scot Gem programme if you commit to the NHS Scotland for a few years after graduation you will have a lot of your fees covered.. I mean we need Drs, a lot of them.. Yet half our graduates feel pressure to leave for foreign shores to better conditions and sometimes better pay after their intern year..the lack of incentives to work in the HSE and stay in it after graduating is a pity not to mention the lack of financial support opportunities to graduate students who are often already dealing with other pressures. Its tipping a little too close to the American model of 3rd level Ed. Will you take a place abroad or what are you thinking? Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 somebodylikeme

Bartman26 wrote: »
    Avalon68 I feel your pain!! I applied 1st in 2017 and got UL.. Didn't take up the place as my first preference was Dublin for accommodation with family and other reasons. Reapplied in 2018 but got UL again so I accepted.. This time around I applied for the grad med loan but got rejected, even with a guarantor because I had been on the credit bureau because of a mortgage from 2007 (which is on track now).. I started but had to leave as financial pressure was too much of a strain. Have reapplied again! :) and hoping Dublin will work out this time but still have to try and get loan over the line. I went back to work for the past two years to save but my word they don't make it easy in this country.. Qatari students who come here have their fees paid as long as they commit to working for 10years back in Qatar after graduating (as far as I'm aware) In the Scot Gem programme if you commit to the NHS Scotland for a few years after graduation you will have a lot of your fees covered.. I mean we need Drs, a lot of them.. Yet half our graduates feel pressure to leave for foreign shores to better conditions and sometimes better pay after their intern year..the lack of incentives to work in the HSE and stay in it after graduating is a pity not to mention the lack of financial support opportunities to graduate students who are often already dealing with other pressures. Its tipping a little too close to the American model of 3rd level Ed. Will you take a place abroad or what are you thinking? Hope it works out for you.

It would make a lot of sense to offer some financial supports to med students in return for a guarantee of working here for at least a certain period of time. It makes sense on so many levels, if the government could just find a way to make it work...

Wow thats quite a journey! It really highlights the ridiculousness of the funding situation. The UK system of loans is better - you pay back directly from salary once you earn over a certain level. That completely takes away the worry of what happens if you get sick/take time off etc as you wont have to pay until you are working again. Ireland needs a similar system. Not just for medicine, but all round - I imagine a lot of people do not attend university due to cost - even back when I did my first degree I could never have considered Dublin universities sue to cost of living there. To take up a GEM course in Ireland without a loan you would need about 100k saved to cover fees and living costs. Even with a loan youd probably need another 40-50k to just live. Thats almost impossible without support from a partner/parents/lottery win. I'm not sure about taking up a place in the UK - Ive been away a long time and just want to return home really. I guess I have a few more weeks to decide. Hopefully Dublin works out for you!

It would make a lot of sense to offer some financial supports to med students in return for a guarantee of working here for at least a certain period of time. It makes sense on so many levels, if the government could just find a way to make it work...

Even just a government loan that you pay from salary rather than having to try and qualify for bank loans. Or just reduce the fees so that normal people can actually afford it without financial stress. The British system isn't perfect either, but at least most people can access loans, and the payments aren't a huge burden as they are based on a percentage of salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tacadh

If anybody has done/ is doing the gamsat today, how did you get on? Did everything run smoothly?

Yep, took about half an hour to connect to a proctor then another 5 minutes of checking the area etc., then I didn't hear from them again until I was done. Test was fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bartman26

Planemo wrote: »
    Yep, took about half an hour to connect to a proctor then another 5 minutes of checking the area etc., then I didn't hear from them again until I was done. Test was fine too.

Hi Planemo, when you say the test was fine do you mean not too difficult or just that it went smoothly? Were invigilators monitoring groups of students?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tacadh

Planemo wrote: »

Nice one Planemo, glad to hear everything went well.

• Advertisement

Hi Planemo, when you say the test was fine do you mean not too difficult or just that it went smoothly? Were invigilators monitoring groups of students?

Both! I could only hear the Procter but she was only talking to me directly.

Advertisement