Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events Centre

Options
  • 27-10-2015 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭

What's the latest on it lads? Was in Cork this weekend, lovely to be home and the place was alive but saw no work on the site...

Should I be worried? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Fabio wrote: »
    What's the latest on it lads? Was in Cork this weekend, lovely to be home and the place was alive but saw no work on the site...

no need to be worried, I heard something on local radio about the Jazz event eventually expanding once the event centre is developed and works are due to start soon, sorry I'm hazy on details but that was the general gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Its Cork they will just waffle on about it for a while and then pay some millions, and then say oh tisnt going ahead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Fabio wrote: »

I'd be worried, if I were you. I certainly am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I wouldn't be holding my breath...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

im looking forward to Mr Coveneys angle on this one ....

• Advertisement

You won't hear anything concrete before the election anyway. Think Amgen in Carrigtoohill and you'll see how this story will end, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Very true

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Joey Jo-Jo Junior

I'm still optimistic about this. Did they not say that they wanted to break ground before the end of the year? Still a few weeks to go.

Any news on this?
    History of Beamish and Crawford has just been published.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/familys-nazi-link-uncovered-during-writing-of-beamish-crawford-history-363612.html

Sad to see what amounts to the corpse of this once proud institution now lying semi-derelict in the centre of the city.

Events centre was discussed at Council meeting last night. Not great news

daKhZTd.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Chief Executive of the Council said she expects contracts to be signed in the near future. I think that was the same update that was given in September. Going to slip into 2016 at the earliest.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Chief Executive of the Council said she expects contracts to be signed in the near future. I think that was the same update that was given in September. Going to slip into 2016 at the earliest.

she said that she expected work to start by the end of the year a few months ago. Think it's safe to say to say that she doesn't really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

My guess is that it will go ahead in early new year when Bam are finished Albert Quay.With the last few jobs they done around Cork,they finished one job to start another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭kub

The usual...Do a bit of site clearance before the election, purely optics!!!
    Hope I am wrong BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭kub

P.lane78 wrote: »
    The usual...Do a bit of site clearance before the election, purely optics!!!
    Hope I am wrong BTW

Either which way, when they start digging in there, it will all suddenly stop as the old citywalls run across that site.
    The archaeologists will probe it and they will take a long long time, so it will be years before it is open.

So, just a few weeks to go before year end and projections made by ministers seem to be running out of time, fast. Any further progress to report?

In the meantime, I came across this 'fly through' of the whole Brewery Quarter development. Enjoy!

So, just a few weeks to go before year end and projections made by ministers seem to be running out of time, fast. Any further progress to report?

In the meantime, I came across this 'fly through' of the whole Brewery Quarter development. Enjoy!

Enjoy the video bacause thats all were getting, no event centre , no movement on PuC, No cork to Limerick motorway.

So, what are the odds of a last minute breakthrough or statement tomorrow to 'start' this before the end of the year, as promised?
    BAM and Heineken seems to he getting off lightly here. Allowing a near derelict site (in places) languish in the centre of the city.
    The term "sh*t or get off the pot" springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Its going on too long now, there is only one outcome for this and unfortunately its not the one the people of Cork will want. Im half thinking maybe they should have given it to O'Callaghan on Albert Quay because at least he'll get the thing built.

• Advertisement

Could have sworn that I saw out Simon Coveney out there with a shovel at 23:55 last night ;)

Could have sworn that I saw out Simon Coveney out there with a shovel at 23:55 last night ;)

and enda was manning the cement mixer :D

Almost half way through January and still no word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Anyone who thinks this will be built are living in la la land.

Cork is the city where big things are promised but nothing ever actually happens.

Anyone who thinks this will be built are living in la la land.

Cork is the city where big things are promised but nothing ever actually happens.

Oh I agree, I doubt I'll even be an old man and see an events center in Cork. This one is just so brazen though, with all the selection process hype and Coveney saying work will start by the end of 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Paul Byrne has a report on it today on TV3 news.He tweeted earlier.He talks to Simon Coveney and Kenneth O'Flynn.

Paul Byrne has a report on it today on TV3 news.He tweeted earlier.He talks to Simon Coveney and Kenneth O'Flynn.

12507693_10205423011922934_1095932260417066509_n.jpg?oh=316b57cfbec41d032a008ad18bf994c8&oe=573FC3A2&__gda__=1460038315_8b030436a1926a629161787b60a7e976

Quelle surprise.

I saw a bus the other day with a picture of Coveney and a list of projects in Cork. He must think he got them all.

At least 2 of them (Events Centre and the Pairc) will not happen. Some of them are years off happening.

What was said in TV3 anyways. Nothing about the event centre on Twitter.

• Advertisement

What was said in TV3 anyways. Nothing about the event centre on Twitter.

In a nutshell, it was Coveney telling us to be patient. That "in a matter of weeks" we will see progress. 52 weeks? 104 weeks? He didn't say.
    Also a quote from Heineken saying they were "continuing to support" BAM in their work on the development. Interesting wording...sounds like they are trying to detangle themselves from it.
    Finally, no comment from BAM.
    Judge for yourself...

Advertisement