Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

I was in Bab Al Shams back in January. Absolutely loved it Jude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I'm going mad. Haven't seen any dunnes bakery mince pies! They were my favourite by a mile last year

I checked my Dunnes this morning, none there either and they have a huge bakery

I had ones from Lidl last year, I am not sure if they are doing them this year in their bakery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

Channel 4 are showing both the Snowman and the Snowman and the Snowdog today beginning @3:05pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I have the trees down from the attic and up. Have a relative doing the lights( well googling the correct method to put up lights !!) the 2000 led from homestore are looking very small for the 8 foot tree. The bulbs are very close together. It’s a wide tree so maybe that’s what uses the lengths up. Will post back when we’ve made further progress but wouldn’t be surprised if we need a top up.

We had a busy day yesterday we were in town at 8.30 am and I certainly thought it was busier than any other Saturday morning
    After getting birthday presents and new baby gift off we went to meet our new niece that is only 8 days old she has 2 sisters that are 2 and 4 so we brought gifts for them all and a birthday cake
    One of the gifts was the game hungry hippos they loved it, I got it from Santa one year when I was younger and their mammy had said he always wanted it growing up we had a great evening, its great making memories with them
    Food shopping this morning then to my mothers to start with the Christmas decorations not long home himself has a roast cooked for us, I have opened a bottle of prosecco, he's having a beer and its nice to slow down and take it all in with the glow of the Christmas tree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I put up the window stuff and the icicles Today and will do the rest during the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

DenMan wrote: »
    Channel 4 are showing both the Snowman and the Snowman and the Snowdog today beginning @3:05pm.

Nice warm-up for Christmas Eve!

Hectic day today with a Rugby match for the older daughter and then over to their granny for the afternoon. The poor thing almost got hypothermia with all the driving wind and rain!

Anyway, all tucked up on the sofa now with the fire blazing merrily away while we listen to the wind outside gathering force!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭DenMan

Heroditas wrote: »
    Nice warm-up for Christmas Eve!

Hectic day today with a Rugby match for the older daughter and then over to their granny for the afternoon. The poor thing almost got hypothermia with all the driving wind and rain!

Anyway, all tucked up on the sofa now with the fire blazing merrily away while we listen to the wind outside gathering force!

Hope she gets better soon Heroditas.

DenMan wrote: »
    Hope she gets better soon Heroditas.

Ah she was grand once she got into the bath when we got home! Thanks though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Christmas tree shopping today! First time at a Christmas tree farm and was good fun, even with the horrible weather. We were getting three trees so had Granddad and Granny with us plus sister and her gang.
    They got theirs quickly enough however herself wasn't seeing anything she liked so we ended up wandering through the farm with an umbrella while others stayed in the barn with hot chocolates and coffees. Was kinda romantic and we had a good laugh.
    Found one in the end however was too wet when we got it home to decorate tonight so have it up and drying and will decorate tomorrow when all home from school.

• Advertisement

Question for the older diehards - does anyone remember a box of sweets from the 80s that had a picture of santa on the front? They were the classic "I'm visiting someone so I'll bring a box of these" even though they were vile and everyone knew they were vile :D

I actually saw a pile of them in Lidl in Deansgrange during the week (obviously targeting the older demographic) and shuddered when I saw them.
    (I was still very tempted to buy them though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Ended up buying another 480 lights in homestore. So it’s done now. Missing some decorations and it’s looking very white and pink themed. I do like pink baubles but think i’ve gone too far. Must root around in the attic to see what exactly is missing because I don’t recall being this pink!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Went on the Santa Steam Train today with a load of friends dressed full vintage, had a great time! Really festive, the whole train was properly decorated too. It’s amazing the whole thing is run by volunteers, I was really impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Question for the older diehards - does anyone remember a box of sweets from the 80s that had a picture of santa on the front? They were the classic "I'm visiting someone so I'll bring a box of these" even though they were vile and everyone knew they were vile :D

I actually saw a pile of them in Lidl in Deansgrange during the week (obviously targeting the older demographic) and shuddered when I saw them.
    (I was still very tempted to buy them though)

Think they were called Seasons Greetings?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

aELnKqU.jpg

Were these the ones??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Have them in Dunnes. You know Christmas was coming to an end when you went digging for a sweet in these. Still get a box though, you’d get the odd surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If you think they were bad in the past. They've gotten even worse now. The company was taken over a out two years ago. They dropped the macaroons, ice caramels and a few others.
    Shops don't even to be able to sell the

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Having a christmas party next Monday evening. I live abroad so a tonne of friends will be heading home for christmas, including myself. So my wonderful girlfriend decided to organise a christmas dinner/party before everyone leaves, which quickly got out of hand...16 people :pac: (she needs to stop doing this).

Anyways, I've got a menu sorted and most things have been sourced, but any tips/recipes on cooking veg for that many people? Due to limitations on space, I'll probably have to roast some and boil some. Potatoes are fine, it's just the other veg I'm not sure what to do with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have been in the same boat. We bought a big plastic bin with a lid. Sterilized it and filled it with ice water. We then par boiled all the veg the day before so on the day they were roasted or boiled in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Went on the Santa Steam Train today with a load of friends dressed full vintage, had a great time! Really festive, the whole train was properly decorated too. It’s amazing the whole thing is run by volunteers, I was really impressed.

Is that the RPSI train? I have not been on their Santa service, but I have been on another train journey they organized. They do a great job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Staph wrote: »
    Is that the RPSI train? I have not been on their Santa service, but I have been on another train journey they organized. They do a great job!

https://www.steamtrainsireland.com/whats-on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Busy weekend for us! Mr. CL was working all weekend so just me and my two amigos! Had a baking Saturday and made some mince pies. Eldest CL had a friend over for a playdate on Saturday afternoon which was grand as they were kept occupied while I put out the rest of our decs including my Christmas Village. Although they are obsessed with turning it on now which is driving me nuts cos they keep moving stuff :P

Yesterday, we went to Homestore - some good deals on decorations there, but couldn't really look with the kids. Got some more lights but couldn't find the connecting lights for outside. Didn't get to the Drogheda Christmas Festival unfortunately. Was really looking forward to it but unfortunately with the weather, they had to move location to the shopping centre and I couldn't face the chaos of it.

Planning a proper Christmas weekend - we've a wedding on Saturday & then on Sunday, we are getting our real tree and taking the kids to see Santy. Although the eldest says she wants to go to the North Pole to visit him, not the local toy shop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I'm a bit shook after too much wine last night. Was only supposed to be one glass!! The stuffing balls I made yesterday for the freezer have just been consumed between fresh white sliced pan and real butter. Divine. Great recipe from Boards that I use years later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Was out both nights over the weekend, partying hard-ish.

Woke up with a ROTTEN headcold yesterday morning. Have been drinking loads of water, taking vitamins etc.

Any tips for killing this badboy will be much appreciated- I've a wreath making workshop on Wed, a christening on Sat and a kids' bday party Sunday.

I'm too busy for this sh*t!!!

Woke up with a ROTTEN headcold yesterday morning. Have been drinking loads of water, taking vitamins etc.

Any tips for killing this badboy will be much appreciated- I've a wreath making workshop on Wed, a christening on Sat and a kids' bday party Sunday.

I find these good Echinacea drops put them in Luke warm water about 20 drops a couple of times a day you will get them in boots and vitamin C drinks too, when you are under the weather you can take 2000mg vitamin C I hope you feel better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Those Benylin Day and Night tabs are good. Or just plain paracetamol. There is an awful dose going around. Hope you feel better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

Inhale vicks, use Sterimar nasal spray or NeilMed rinse, Boots do a cold and flu spray, Sudafed....they usually work for me!!:D

Work done for the day just having lunch before I help my mam out she is a bit unwell at the minute

Got a lovely Robin decoration with 2 Robins on it off a work pal this morning she was Christmas shopping and said she couldn't pass it without thinking of me and my late aunt, I have a Robin that appears in my garden alot
    So delighted with the decoration

I am just rewrote my list of what is left gift wise and for the house

I said to my pal in work I know its only 16 days left but how many days left in work she got really excited she was screeching

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Christmas getting closer - first present arrived from Amazon this morning; Plum Pudding from local Enniscorthy bakery and specially ordered Brandy Butter from Helen Gee in Abbeyleix - the latter just for me as nobody else in the family will touch the stuff. :D

Christmas%2Bat%2BLast.jpg

My own Christmas cards based on a 90 year old American original and printed by Vistaprint - I have even addressed the envelopes and bought stamps. Now the hard bit of writing the cards.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Any tips for killing this badboy will be much appreciated.

Decapitation. It's the only way to be sure. :cool:

This isn't medical advice, though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement