Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I know someone had mentioned the invisible cloak as a Christmas present for a child I think its Harry Potter, they are down for near 100 to 69 in Debenhams

30% off a lot of gifts in Debenhams too if anyone is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 30,218 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had pigs in blankets and other party food last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

What does everyone do for xmas breakfast? I'd like to enjoy my dinner and not be stuffed, so think a full Irish is out....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

What does everyone do for xmas breakfast? I'd like to enjoy my dinner and not be stuffed, so think a full Irish is out....

We are usually rushing to get to church so have some handle bagels ready which we toast with peanut butter or jam. As you said just fills the gap till the real eating starts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Black & white pudding, sausages, bacon, fried egg.
    We tend to be up early wth the kids & with Dinner usually at 3.30ish I need the feed to set me up.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

We might get those just roll cinnamon swirls.
    I'd also have my Lidl weetabix.
    I'd find the fry tough going on Christmas morning and there's generally to much going on.

78931204_10157352935145189_3146411131728297984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=EYCTzGDPKmUAQkIroMz-vcqDIe8EiTrct54D5WaFuNbHzZY7lU_fG1dCQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=d705c4f294e32edd9caf4c2f00e20e2e&oe=5E81D03E

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

We usually have freshly baked croissants with Bucks Fizz or orange juice, although we've started adding in cinnamon rolls for the last few years - you can get them in Ikea.

We have the big cooked breakfast on Christmas Eve, and then on the 26th we eat Christmas leftovers :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

A cyclist has pedalled an image of a reindeer in London

_110074306_hi058533553.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Full Irish, you'll sweat enough off panicking over prepping dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

L1011 wrote: »
    Full Irish, you'll sweat enough off panicking over prepping dinner

L1011 speaks the truth!:D
    A full Irish is your only man for a Christmas morning!! Yum!

Cinnamon rolls, crack open the crackers and cheese not too much as I don’t like to ruin my dinner maybe some baileys in my coffee late morning

I have never had a full Irish on Christmas morning my other half does in his mother’s I think we might be going to them for breakfast so it might be a first

I might be heading to Limerick for an overnight stay this week, any must see's that are Christmassy please? any suggestions for nice places for Christmas shopping browsing, nice places for coffee and cake

thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I got a personalised tin of Quality Street for €8 in Dunnes tonight. I’m so happy. Not only was it a tin it now has my name on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Same as yourself Lollipops, a big fry is too much. For us brown bread is a must so usually have just a couple of rashers with crusty brown bread or smoked salmon on brown bread.
    Ah you've got me thinking of Christmas morning like mad now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

For Christmas Day morning a couple of rashers and some sliced white pudding in some toast. A fried egg is too much this time round. Oh and a nice cup of tea! Happy Days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Loughc wrote: »
    I got a personalised tin of Quality Street for €8 in Dunnes tonight. I’m so happy. Not only was it a tin it now has my name on it. :D

Is it a proper tin tin as opposed to that plastic box they have nowadays? I'm so there...
    If only you could select the sweets for it too. Orange and strawberry ones for me :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Heroditas wrote: »
    Is it a proper tin tin as opposed to that plastic box they have nowadays? I'm so there...
    If only you could select the sweets for it too. Orange and strawberry ones for me :D

Proper tin. You don’t get to select the sweets tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

DenMan wrote: »
    For Christmas Day morning a couple of rashers and some sliced white pudding in some toast. A fried egg is too much this time round. Oh and a nice cup of tea! Happy Days! :D

I do a platter of sausages, bacon and pudding and everyone helps themselves as they like it. Washed down with mimosas or Buck’s Fizz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

DvB wrote: »
    Black & white pudding, sausages, bacon, fried egg.
    We tend to be up early wth the kids & with Dinner usually at 3.30ish I need the feed to set me up.

I usually have a full Irish with bucks fizz but this year will be my first breakfast in the inlaws on Christmas (first as in i didn't leave the bed a few years back in Christmas day due to illness at it was under 15 degrees).

I hope they do a fry but will take what I am given. I really an excited and terrified of what to do in Christmas morning in other peoples house. I will try and help out but don't want to suggest anything as they will have their own traditions. I am hoping to have an hour or so to relax if they go to church.

3.30 on Christmas morning is rough! I thought 6am was bad. What time to others roll out of bed on the big day?

• Advertisement

Jude, I think they're saying their dinner is at 3.30, not that the kids are up then! :D

^^ Thank god for that. I blame my kid for my mis-reading of it. She woke at 3am as she is unwell. Got her to sleep at 5am and went for an hours run as I couldn't get back to sleep. I am absolutely wrecked now.

Packing for home tonight.
    We have the jingle bell concert in the opera house here tomorrow night.
    Thursday night/Saturday morning up at 3am to get a taxi to the airport.

Jude13 wrote: »

You really are wreaked! :D

I feel your pain I’ve been surviving on coffee as youngest is teething so lots of nights with little sleep!

This time two weeks we’ll be in the thick of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭DvB

3.30 on Christmas morning is rough! I thought 6am was bad. What time to others roll out of bed on the big day?
    Heroditas wrote: »
    Jude, I think they're saying their dinner is at 3.30, not that the kids are up then! :D

LOL, apologies if the wording sounded off, we tend to get up around 6.30-7.00, really depends on how long the kids will stay asleep, we'll have brekkie around 9-9.30 & then start prepping for dinner which is usually around 3.30pm.

Last time we hosted in 2017 we mistimed the turkey & dinner wasnt until about 4.15 or so & everyone was famished... the thing was devoured, so hoping with a little more experience under our belts we can deliver dinner on time this year!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

^ no need to apologies, I am not with it today. Im the worst without sleep. The drive to work was struggle.

Timing is a pain in the bum. I use the fact that the oven heats the kitchen too much to partake in refreshments which eases my anxiety about the cooking timings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

There was always a rule in my house of not getting out of bed until 7am at the earliest. Any earlier and you might interrupt Santa delivering!!!

The fear was normally enough to keep me in bed til 7!:o

I was always useless on Christmas morning.
    They used have to pull out of bed at 11am.
    I was a bad child to go to bed tough.

^^ Thank god for that. I blame my kid for my mis-reading of it. She woke at 3am as she is unwell. Got her to sleep at 5am and went for an hours run as I couldn't get back to sleep. I am absolutely wrecked now.

Packing for home tonight.
    We have the jingle bell concert in the opera house here tomorrow night.

Oh no, hope she's better soon, the poor thing

• Advertisement

Cheers, just a blocked nose/head cold. We have been bloody blessed, goes to bed before 8 every night and sleeps through till 6/6.30am. I would say she has had three bad nights in the 11 months so far.

We used to get up at about 5.30am as younger kids and my folks would tell us to go back to bed. They also starting locking the sitting room door in case the dog attached santa.....We would go mental waiting for my (I now realise hungover) Dad to unlock the door. Teens I had to be dragged out of bed. I always had a game on St Stephen's day so I took Christmas day a rest day in every meaning of it. I would get up and go through the motions and go back to bed. I think my folks thought I was depressed but I was just tired.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement