Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever talked to a stranger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I talked to a strange looking crow today. Had a right good old chat with it. Bit of a silent type though, didn't say much, so I mostly did the old chatting. Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Guy Person wrote: »
    You don't know the fūcking half of it Deebles...

Alas, neither does he ...

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭Enough is Enough!

I often talk to strangers in pubs. Does that count?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

On the train.

They can offer up their whole life story, and then never meet again.

Always found that interesting.

I often talk to strangers in pubs. Does that count?

I do too. And it's a sign of a good pub where you can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Whether this is all a joke or real I don't know, but I am not interested in being in the middle of it.

Guy Person wrote: »
    Whether this is all a joke or real I don't know, but I am not interested in being in the middle of it.

Which one's the joker and which one's the clown? :pac:

I met friends via some forums (not Irish) and Skyped afterwards.

I met a lovely lady from florida once by playing scrabble online (words with friends).

The relationships tend not to last though, and that's OK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Probably best if everyone just gave them a break and didn’t keep “bothering”, and hounding, them for information that is, obviously, private.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I know enough. Maybe too much, as it turns out.

• Advertisement

Probably best if everyone just gave them a break and didn’t keep “bothering”, and hounding, them for information that is, obviously, private.

Are you being sarcastic? The pair of them are airing their stained underwear right on the thread.

:D

Are you being sarcastic? The pair of them are airing their stained underwear right on the thread.

While you might “get off” on encouraging people to have a “go” at each other in public, I, personally, think it’s shameful “carry on”.

I’d advise the two people involved to take it “offline” or use the PM function as they are achieving nothing on here, bar providing a sideshow for those with very little else to be doing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Skidmarks? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

What’s a bunny spoiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

AMKC wrote: »
    via Skype, facetime etc?

How did you get on and did they remain strangers or did it go further friendship/ relationship etc?

Disclaimer,
    Just being a nosy fecker and no I am not thinking about or doing that at the moment and do not use any applications like that.

I talk to people on the train if that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

What’s a bunny spoiler?

A crazy woman who reveals the endings to shows out of spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

WTAF??? :D:D:D:D

While you might “get off” on encouraging people to have a “go” at each other in public, I, personally, think it’s shameful “carry on”.

I’d advise the two people involved to take it “offline” or use the PM function as they are achieving nothing on here, bar providing a sideshow for those with very little else to be doing.

Emmet!! I reject such an accusation!! While it might in your eyes be shameful "carry on" I can see the love that's blossoming underneath the "airing".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,712 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ara w@nk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

I always try to have a conversation with strangers on they bus. But am greeted with one word answers and the go back to staring at their phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I always try to have a conversation with strangers on they bus. But am greeted with one word answers and the go back to staring at their phones.

So you really are a reject then? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I told two of them today in work that they were addicted to their phones but they didn't notice cause their necks don't rise up above phones. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Morto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

I'm too shy to talk to strangers but sometimes wave or wink at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Yes. I recently had the "pleasure" of meeting someone. We met on Boards actually. A gentle ribbing soon became a string of PMs. It moved on to phone calls, Skype and many, many Whatsapp conversations. After a couple of weeks we became quite close and would talk a lot.

I managed to talk her into meeting me and we went for a coffee. I couldn't believe what I saw when we met. She was actually as beautiful as I thought she would be. Alas, her face belied the darkness in her soul. I cannot stress enough how bad a person this woman turned out to be. Horrific. I would just say for everyone to be careful and to make absolutely sure the online persona matches the reality.

That sounds scary as ****

• Registered Users Posts: 20,673 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Thank you, Emmet. You bring a modicum of decorum to this place. Advice has been heeded. As a pair, we may have become tangled up in blue.

Apologies all, for the petulant, spoiled child who could not keep her much-sullied mouth in the closed position. I'm afraid her tendency to storm off and slam doors, in a sense, overwhelms any higher-level thinking that may be going on in her brain.
    And for myself, for bringing shame on this festival of personalities with my opening post. It was not intended to get out of hand in this way. Such unnecessary verbal diarrhoea. I am, to quote andekwarhola, "morto".
    Emmet!! I reject such an accusation!! While it might in your eyes be shameful "carry on" I can see the love that's blossoming underneath the "airing".

I admire the optimism, Perse, I do. I'm afraid its misplaced in this instance though. There's a phrase, 'any port will do in a storm'. It would need to be the perfect storm in order for me to enter that particular port.
    That sounds scary as ****

Not so much scary, R. More life-altering. The kind of thing that makes you think twice before stepping into the breach. I believe it was the poet, Bret Michaels who once said; *ahem*

"Every rose has its thorn,
    Just like every night has its dawn,
    Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song,
    Every rose has its thorn"

Such wise words.

Thank you, Emmet. You bring a modicum of decorum to this place. Advice has been heeded. As a pair, we may have become tangled up in blue.

Why didn’t you stop just here?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

I never knew that this is a dating website.

• Advertisement

OP, I talk to strangers quite a bit. A few days ago on the bus an elderly man struck up a conversation with me. It began with the usual "terrible weather" and says I "It is Lorenzo is on the move". By the time it came to my stop we had had a grand little chat.

Just a few minutes ago I went in the wrong door in Lidl (don't ask) a man followed and we both laughed at ourselves and sure then it was all in the aisles "oh we meet again".

It's nice. I like connecting with other people and I think it's good for us. I not its older people who initiate conversation the most. In my experience A 20 or 30 something would never and in fact would probably be horrified at the thought.

As for Skype conversations? Well I had one or two when I was online dating. It was odd and I don't recommend it.

Advertisement