Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

average recession wedding gift??

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

lol - i just remember one of the many weddings i was at last year, the groom told us he was expecting a min. of e80 per person attending the wedding, so he got a e40 photoframe from us.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

irishbird wrote: »
    lol - i just remember one of the many weddings i was at last year, the groom told us he was expecting a min. of e80 per person attending the wedding, so he got a e40 photoframe from us.

You should have gotten him a voucher for a class on 'How to be Tactful'. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

irishbird wrote: »

same as that..we got an invite with one of those crass poems asking for money (dressed up in a poem but the sentiment was the same:mad:) so they are now getting whatever i decide to buy..had they not asked they would have been given money but as they asked for it and the expectation is there they can f off

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

God, off topic I know, but I absolutely hate hate hate those poems!!! I'd actually prefer people to come out and say 'we need money' instead of putting one of those stupid poems in!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

Ha, so funny to see someone who actually believes that they'll recuperate some of the cost of a wedding through generous donations from friends and family!

such a conceited idea, no disrespect intended but please do not expect,(especially given the current "economic climate"), to cover any expenses.
    Look at any gifts as a bonus, might not be what you were expecting, but its the truth.If all you were after were generous cash donations then why not invite only the rich relatives, maybe even hold a quiz night?

End of the story, you are basically paying for a big day out for family and friends to enjoy. Your question should have been along the lines of how can we make it more memorable for guests/happy couple rather than along the lines of 'how much can we make of these suckers?'

Time to think about priorities methinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

I think it's typical Irish to begrudge giving a monetary gift to newlyweds just for the sake of it.
    A wedding gift is meant to help set a couple up in their married life together - what better way to do this than by giving them cash.
    Whether it's €50 or €200 - money is without doubt the best gift to give.

However - I don't believe it should be expected. And a wedding should never be planned to be paid for based on expected gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Cash is the intelligent way to go for the majority of people having their wedding: cash is king.

I know from our engagement party that "we" now have a wide variety of candle holders (the new toasters?), crystal and assorted jewellery which are definitely nice. They are definitely nice.

However, I would much prefer that people didn't buy us anything for the engagement but instead bought us stuff, from a wedding list, which we actually needed. This is a sensible compromise between cash presents and pointless presents.

Wedding lists are the way to go for all sides: the giver knows their gift is valued, while the receiver can find use for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Seriously people relax! The OP was asking a question that MAJORITY of b&g think about when they are planning their wedding. I dont know many people that can pay for their wedding outright.

Most people have a mortgage, some have kids and so cant go saving that much before the wedding.

To answer the original question I would give €150 for both of us, my sister is getting married next year and I will be giving more but for the average wedding would be €150. If I cant afford this and I am not too pushed about going then I wont. If it is a good friend/close family I will manage somehow and go. Wouldnt ever go to a wedding empty handed (or to any party). That is cheap and rude.

My cousin is getting married in April, she is one that can pay for everything before the day but I am still unsure whether I am going or not because I cannot afford it. I am not very close to her but my sister is bridesmaid and that is the main reason for wanting to go. If I cant afford the present, hotel stay, drink for the day etc I wont go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭billybunty

WOW - can't believe you'd plan a wedding and base paying for it on the "gifts" - ya can't pay for dinner with carriage clocks!!
    We are getting married in Sept - its not going to be cheap BUT if guests give us just a card we will be happy - genuinely. Most of our guests have to travel to the brides town and that alone is enough for us - their costs involved in being at our day! SO - if ya can't afford it - don't do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I dont know many people that can pay for their wedding outright.

Most people have a mortgage, some have kids and so cant go saving that much before the wedding.
    then they should have a smaller wedding!
    we had the wedding we could afford, without needing gifts of money. After the day when it was all paid for, the monetary gifts were very welcome and were a great help, but had everyone bought us a present, we would still have been able to pay for the wedding.

If you can't afford the wedding without expecting money gifts then you need to either have a smaller wedding or save for a bit longer. i honestly believe that the reason so many couples get so stressed with weddings is because of the financial burden and the fear that they will not be able to pay for it. Personally I would rather have a smaller wedding and avoid that.

Maybe that sounds harsh, but its just my opinion. i think we have all gotten too carried away with having a certain type of wedding, no matter the expense. But starting off married life in debt and hoping that others will help you out of that debt is not a sensible way to approach things.

billybunty wrote: »
    WOW - can't believe you'd plan a wedding and base paying for it on the "gifts" - ya can't pay for dinner with carriage clocks!!
    We are getting married in Sept - its not going to be cheap BUT if guests give us just a card we will be happy - genuinely. Most of our guests have to travel to the brides town and that alone is enough for us - their costs involved in being at our day! SO - if ya can't afford it - don't do it!

So you will be genuinely happy on your big day I sincerely hope you get loads of cards with no cash in them :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    So you will be genuinely happy on your big day I sincerely hope you get loads of cards with no cash in them :)

Yes, sounds crazy I know!! BUt honestly - yes! We'll be having about 160 people and its really not about the money. We are planning our day on what we can afford and a little help from parents, we'll owe nothing on the day and expect nothing - god, am I that rare!!

Yes, sounds crazy I know!! BUt honestly - yes! We'll be having about 160 people and its really not about the money. We are planning our day on what we can afford and a little help from parents, we'll owe nothing on the day and expect nothing - god, am I that rare!!

That's gas, I was going to say your parents or the in laws to be must be stumping up if you have all the expenses covered. And no, you're not rare at all ;) Easy to be on the high horse when you're getting gifts before the big day.

That's gas, I was going to say your parents or the in laws to be must be stumping up if you have all the expenses covered. And no, you're not rare at all ;) Easy to be on the high horse when you're getting gifts before the big day.

Parents paying for meal - sin e - the rest we saved up!! Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Easy to be on the high horse when you're getting gifts before the big day.
    your own horse is no pony! ;)

Having close friends and family offer to pay for things in advance is IMO different to expecting general guests to pay for your day.
    Most parents and family will give as much as they can afford, and generally they will give this to you in advance of the day because that is practical. I think most people's objection is for couples to assume that the rest (or most) of the other expenses will be paid for by the rest of the guests. A risky strategy as you never know how much or what others will give....at least family generally tell you exactly what they are giving/paying for so no nasty shocks (would be a bit of a pisser if granny said she'd pay for the flowers and then gave you a candlestick on the day instead! :p)

• Advertisement

A lot of people I know paid for their day upfront. Most hotels ask for X% 6 months out, then another bit 3 months out, then another bit sooner, and the balance either on the day before or after the wedding. My own wedding is to be paid for the day before, any booze that isn't consumed etc will be refunded to our account.

Each to their own, but personally I couldn't stand the stress of having to get a certain amount of cash gifts to cover the wedding (I'll probably be on vallium in the approaching weeks as it is!). A friend of mine is having major stress about her wedding because the costs are running so high. To the point that she's postponed it once, and is now possibly having to postpone it another year because it's getting more and more expensive and she said if she doesn't get 'X' amount in cash gifts, she won't be able to pay for it. Seeing as how a lot of her guests are strapped for cash as it is, she's starting to realise that she probably won't get anything close to that.

Just to give you a comparison, my fiancé's brother got married in 2006, out of all the gifts given to them, only 5 or 6 were actual items, everyone else gave cash. His sister got married last November, so the same set of guests (pretty much) were at both weddings. Out of all her guests, only 9 cash gifts were given - I know because I helped her write the thankyou cards - and the rest were various items for around the house. She's one of those people who you could have given a sack of potatoes to and she'd still have been thrilled with it, and she was actually shocked that people had given such nice things considering how many of the guests have taken pay cuts or been made redundant in the last year.

Just to add to Billybunty, I wouldn't mind if guests didn't give presents. I'd be upset if they didn't give a card, but there doesn't have to be anything in that other than their best wishes. That's just me though, I'm not really big on presents of any sort, whereas I love the cards, I prefer them to presents. I like to keep them and read back over them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I'm having a recession wedding (few weeks). We're paying for everything ourselves up front for the same reason others have pointed out, we didn't want to depend on other to pay for our wedding as people are unreliable :D. As such, we're happy to get anything, our biggest present will be having the wedding and owing nothing afterwards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Without engaging in the moral high ground point scoring that alot do here in relation to cash gifts etc, having attended 3 weddings in the last year (FTR OP myself & my fianceé gave a cash gift of €150 at each wedding) its fairly realistic to expect 'some' cash gifts from the invited guests, maybe not as much as would have been received a few years back but they will be received nonetheless, if for no other reason than some people rather than actually go out & take the time to look for a gift will take the lazy/easy option of sticking a few quid into a card. However despite knowing that your likely to receive these cash gifts relying on them for more than petty cash is a risky strategy IMO, just sit down & go through your finances & if you find yourselves relying 100% on receiveing a minimum sum i'd rethink your options TBH.

Best of luck & whatever happen, enjoy your day!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

we're having a small wedding of 50 as thats all we can afford, we've saved up and paid hotel already ourselves so the meal and the evening food is paid for and we now have 17 months to save up to pay for everything else and will get them when we can (dress, entertainment, rings etc)

by the time it comes around it will be paid for and we are not getting any help (nor would we take it) from anyone. it's our wedding and we want to pay for it ourselves. if we get no money on the day it wont matter and we wont be in debt either

edited for unforgiveable spelling mistakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wedding

Hi there

I am dling a little research re what is acceptable to give as a wedding gift. Any thoughts or better stilol people who would care to share their thoughts publically?

;-)
    M

• Advertisement

Completely agree with DvB, the last thing you want is to end up starting married life without two pennies to rub together. Obvioulsy some people are going to give cash, but as I said, there seems to be a lot less of it now. Probably people feel that sticking say a €50 in a card might look scabby, but they could get you a lovely present for that money and it might appear more generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

Parents paying for meal - sin e - the rest we saved up!! Cheers

sin e? ... not quite, considering the meal is the most expensive part of the wedding, and for 160 guests at say, average sit down cost of 50euro a head including wine and that's 8000 straight off.. that's not just "a little help from the parents", so maybe cut the OP some slack who doesn't have the same level of "little help" from family.

thankfully personally managed to save enough to ensure that everything will be paid up front, and think it's madness to try to plan a wedding around what gifts you expect to receive, but to each their own.

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Why not just charge the guests a cover charge for your wedding. Maybe bill them by the course for the meal. YOu could sell tickets with different price structures to take advantage of price discrimination. GOld level, front seats at the church and first to be served at afters etc.

Why should you be the one that goes into debt for your party?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

I think in this day and age people should realise that unless there is a gift list cash is the only option for a present. When I got married I ended up with 7 sets of cutlery. I thought that people knowing we already lived together would realise that cash would be a better option so I didn't send a gift list - that idea backfired on me!!! But I think recession or not €100 would be an acceptable gift for couples with close friends / family giving at least €150. Maybe I'm on my own but I think if I was really strapped for cash and it wasn't a really close friend getting married I'd prob give a gift of €100 and have an early night at the wedding and save some cash that way. Maybe its because I got some very generous gifts of cash and really would feel bad giving anything less than 100.

that idea backfired on me!!!

How ungrateful. They are giving you gifts, tokens of love and affection and you just turn your nose up to them.

How do people like you ever even aquire friends to invite to your wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

How ungrateful. They are giving you gifts, tokens of love and affection and you just turn your nose up to them.

How do people like you ever even aquire friends to invite to your wedding.
    I meant "backfired" in the sense that I ended up with 7 of the same item, I was most greatful for the sentiment behind ALL my gifts. How does a person like you ever acquire friends when you are so quick to assume the worst in people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Who cares what you get???

Are you inviting them for their prescence or their presents???

When I got married I said no gifts please, that I wanted their prescence not their presents.

If you are inviting them for their money gifts does this mean you cannot afford it without this money??? IMO you should postpone the wedding until you have saved enough for it.

Like, why do you think it is okay to invite a person to a party you are throwing and expect them to pay for it??

Maybe you should just charge admission as someone else said lol!

amdublin wrote: »

When I got married I said no gifts please, that I wanted their prescence not their presents.

If you are inviting them for their money gifts does this mean you cannot afford it without this money??? IMO you should postpone the wedding until you have saved enough for it.

Like, why do you think it is okay to invite a person to a party you are throwing and expect them to pay for it??

Maybe you should just charge admission as someone else said lol!

I think it's perfectly acceptable and fair to expect gifts - whatever they may be - from weddings guests.
    I wouldn't attend any sort of party without bringing a gift of some sort.
    I'll reiterate what I wrote earlier -
    A wedding gift is meant to help set a couple up in their married life together and what better way to do this than by giving them cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Alliandre wrote: »
    I would absolutely hate to think that people wouldn't go to my wedding because they can't afford to give us €100. I want to share our special day with our friends and family and I honestly don't care if we don't get any presents. Obviously if we get any, it's a plus, but we're not having a wedding to get presents/money.

My own two cents...

For personal reasons, like a lot of people we're a bit skint right now. I would rather not go to a Wedding than go and not give a decent present (at least try to cover the costs the couple spent on us).

Some people who went to our wedding gave us nada. I would never do that myself. And like many other weddings, we got a load of junk presents, 150 euro glasses that will never be used and things we don't need as we live in an apartment. It was mainly people who lived in houses with big kitchens that gave us the junk. In fact, in most cases these people never lived in an apartment.

The best presents we got were money which we put off against our mortgage. We dropped a few hints before the wedding that's what we'd like. Some people, had an issue with this and gave us vouchers for something. Which was a bit of a waste and you end up buying things you don't need.

amdublin wrote: »

Do you have a morgage or a big bucks job?

• Advertisement

Do you have a morgage or a big bucks job?

Probably got a helping hand off the folks, or if not a free house or something.

Probably got a helping hand off the folks, or if not a free house or something.

Well in my own circle of friends I found that the people who gave us the stupidest presents were people who never have had a morgage or never lived in an apartment. Except my own relations who gave us a lot of dosh which was just great as we put it off the morgage.

I went to a lot of effort to keep costs for the guest down. The stag was in Dublin and cost 35 euro for three activities: football, yoga and a comedian.

We also purposely had the wedding on a saturday so they didn't have to take time of work and in a venue that you get to by public transport and get a taxi home.

I did notice a few scabby presents from people who had no morgage and no major costs for the night (they just got a taxi home for 20 euro max) and both of them were working. Sometimes people with money are the scabbiest people going.

I agree with everything you have posted Tim, I reckon you are going to get raped in this thread though :D Take my word for it :)

I agree with everything you have posted Tim, I reckon you are going to get raped in this thread though :D Take my word for it :)

For what? Note: Our wedding cost about 15K, we got about I'd say 3.5K in cash presents and about 3K (I'd say) in non - practical presents things we'll never use and probably about another grand in vouchers. We had about 80 to the meal and another 80 to the evening party. A few people who came to the meal gave us nothing and good few who came to the afters also gave us nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

gong back to the original question, I just realised that I never actually said what I give as a gift. The recession hasn't changed the gift I give at a wedding (despite having been affected by it). My standard gifts are
    200 - per couple going to whole thing
    100 - evening "do"
    50 - can't make it.
    I always give cash. For close family I would give more. I have noticed that I am recycling outfits, not staying over etc but I still gave the same gift.

gong back to the original question, I just realised that I never actually said what I give as a gift. The recession hasn't changed the gift I give at a wedding (despite having been affected by it). My standard gifts are
    100 - evening "do"
    50 - can't make it.
    I always give cash. For close family I would give more. I have noticed that I am recycling outfits, not staying over etc but I still gave the same gift.

Ditto - if invited as part of a couple.
    100, 50 + 50 if invited alone.

The best presents we got were money which we put off against our mortgage

One of the saddest posts I have ever read.

This is Ireland in the early 21st century. The only present that you appreciated was money to pay your mortgage. Absolutely vile.

100 - evening "do"
    50 - can't make it.
    Are you both working? I am working but my wife isn't and we have a kid. Do you think that means I should still pay 200? We also have a celtic tiger mortgage? Do you? Do you have a big bucks job?

There are many factors I take into consideration.

1. How much the couple are spending on me?
    2. How much they expect me to spend? Is the Wedding in Dublin or Italy?
    3. How much I had to spend on the stag?
    4. What my current employment / mortgage situation is?

Where I find it tricky is that people who don't have celtic tiger mortgages and have both people working don't seem to have an appreciation how hard it can be for others that don't have the same financial situation.

One of the saddest posts I have ever read.

This is Ireland in the early 21st century. The only present that you appreciated was money to pay your mortgage. Absolutely vile.

Yes it is sad. But even sadder is we lose our apartment to the bank. Would you agree?

• Advertisement

Are you both working? I am working but my wife isn't and we have a kid. Do you think that means I should still pay 200? We also have a celtic tiger mortgage? Do you? Do you have a big bucks job?

There are many factors I take into consideration.

1. How much the couple are spending on me?
    2. How much they expect me to spend? Is the Wedding in Dublin or Italy?
    3. How much I had to spend on the stag?
    4. What my current employment / mortgage situation is?

Where I find it tricky is that people who don't have celtic tiger mortgages and have both people working don't seem to have an appreciation how hard it can be for others that don't have the same financial situation.

I've had a 20% net pay cut. I have very little discretionary income to spend on myself. I don't have a mortgage - I pay rent.
    I still want to wish my friends and relatives the very best that I can on an occasion as special as their wedding.
    I certainly don't vary the gift I give based on the venue the couple have chosen to hold their celebration in.

Yes it is sad. But even sadder is we lose our apartment to the bank. Would you agree?

So why get married? Why not put the wedding money off your mortgage :confused:

That makes absolutely no sense.

It'll hardly be the fault of the friend who bought you the nice glasses if you lose your house.

So why get married? Why not put the wedding money off your mortgage :confused:
    Because we wanted to start a family.

It'll hardly be the fault of the friend who bought you the nice glasses if you lose your house.
    Who said it was?

Have your mortgage or any kids if you don't mind me asking?

If you can't afford a wedding then don't have it.

People like you just want it all. An overwhelming sense of entitlement.

I've had a 20% net pay cut.
    Sorry to hear that.
    I don't have a mortgage - I pay rent.
    The average person who got a cetlic tiger morgage is down between 50 and 200k. You accept that is a lot of money?
    I still want to wish my friends and relatives the very best that I can on an occasion as special as their wedding.
    As do we all.

I certainly don't vary the gift I give based on the venue the couple have chosen to hold their celebration in.
    Well I'd give more if I don't have to spend 150 to stay in an hotel or 500 to go on stag.

It's simple stuff really.

If you can't afford a wedding then don't have it.
    Yes we were going to have a very small wedding. But we ended up a very small one by Irish standards and cut corners where we could.
    People like you just want it all. An overwhelming sense of entitlement.
    I get sense you are trolling now.

People are entitled to do what they want. I'll give you thought out reasons for we did what we did. I am happy to discuss but if you are using silly brain dead facile ad hominens, I've got better things to do. Why your interest? Are you getting married or just looking to attack people.

• Advertisement

Because we wanted to start a family.

You know you can start a family without being married right? And if you wanted to get married you don't have to have a wedding.
    Who said it was?

Implied by the fact that you were happier with the cash gifts as you were facing losing your house
    Have your mortgage or any kids if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, married, with a exceptionally large mortgage and kids. What bearing does that have? If you want to get married you sure as hell better be able to afford it as in this day and age you have no idea what people's financial situation is, no matter how much you think you do, so to expect people to fund your wedding/mortgage is ridiculous. You want it, you pay for it.

People are entitled to do what they want. I'll give you thought out reasons for we did what we did.
    Yep they are. I'd say anybody with sense gave you and wedding a wide berth.

To think that somebody considered you a friend, celebrated your wedding and purchased you a gift and you come on here and deride their thought because it didn't help pay your mortgage. Eughh, I'm out of here.

You know you can start a family without being married right? And if you wanted to get married you don't have to have a wedding.
    Biologically yes but I / we wanted to be married first. Are we not allowed to have that opinion?

We went through the various options for what we did what we did. It was a very simple, no frills wedding.
    Implied by the fact that you were happier with the cash gifts as you were facing losing your house
    It was implied. An it's an apartment not a house.
    Yes, married, with a exceptionally large mortgage and kids. What bearing does that have? If you want to get married you sure as hell better be able to afford it as in this day and age you have no idea what people's financial situation is, no matter how much you think you do, so to expect people to fund your wedding/mortgage is ridiculous. You want it, you pay for it.
    Because if you don't mind me saying you sound like you are just wum'ing.
    We did pay for it.

Everyone has a preference in what presents they get. Some prefer materials things, some prefer holidays, some prefer money, some prefer nothing at all and give the money to charity.

We preferred money because of our personal circumstances.

I don't know what your personal circumstances are? Are you in negative equity? Do you have good job security? Can you afford health insurance for your kids?

It's a regular thing for people to give someone money as a present. Maybe you don't really have money problems or never have and can't empathise with that concept.

Yep they are. I'd say anybody with sense gave you and wedding a wide berth.

To think that somebody considered you a friend, celebrated your wedding and purchased you a gift and you come on here and deride their thought because it didn't help pay your mortgage. Eughh, I'm out of here.

Oh come one! People giving you expensive glasses when you have two shelves in your apartment is a little bit silly. My mother's sisters had they cop on not to give us anything stupid and very kindly and thoughtfully gave us money which we could do whatever we wanted to with.

In our case, we put it off the mortgage and it would have been very irresponsible not to do this.

For what?

The folks in this thread Tim reckon that expecting any monetary gift for your wedding is not on and makes you an awful sort of person. As someone else said traditionally it's meant to be a bit of a helping hand to start ye off. I reckon most of the folks posting here have gotten wads of cash off Mummy and Daddy or the in laws but obviously they won't admit that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement