Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I started The Twilight Phenomenon by by Nicola Bardola my sister picked it up for me after we had a discussion about the books the other day. Very interesting read, I have about 50 pages left so will finish it tonight.

I would advise this book to be read after you finish the full saga as it would spoil it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Bleak House by Dickens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Starting Skippy Dies now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Study in Scarlet by Conan Doyle. My first foray into Sherlock Holmes and im really enjoying it. Its actually a terrible shame that the popular image of holmes is so off-putting because the actual literary character is fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Bleak House by Dickens.

Good luck to you! I tried to read that in my undergrad and I couldn't get through it, Dickens goes into way too much detail within that book. Amazing story though especially for the time that was in it! :)

BBC television version with Gillian Anderson is absolutely amazing! :)

I bought The Dark by John McGahern today so I'm going to start that tonight or tomorrow. I studied him a little in my undergrad, so I'm excited now! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Good luck to you! I tried to read that in my undergrad and I couldn't get through it, Dickens goes into way too much detail within that book. Amazing story though especially for the time that was in it! :)

I did Bleak House for my undergrad also and absolutely LOVED it. Even though it's very long (obviously, being Dickens) but I found I flew through it because once I got into the story I just wanted to keep reading. It's one of my favourite books now.

I agree on the TV version though - amazing. Had to buy it on DVD too and watched most of it (8 hours long...) in one day :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ElasticMan

Methamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka
    Sons and Lovers by DH Lawrence
    Killer in the Rain by Raymond Chandler
    The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald
    The Diceman by Luke Rhinehart
    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
    The Crimes of Love by Marquis de Sade
    Necronomicon and Other Weird Tales by HP Lovecraft
    The Complete Illustrated Works of Edgar Allen Poe

I didn't read much in my youth so I have a lot of catching up to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 spongehaed

I bought The Dark by John McGahern today so I'm going to start that tonight or tomorrow. I studied him a little in my undergrad, so I'm excited now! :)
    That book is well named read it when i was 14 or 15 -Similar age as the main character - and it creeped me out. Great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Moab is My Washpot by Stephen Fry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Callan57 wrote: »
    Starting Skippy Dies now
    I think you will enjoy it. It was one of my favourites of all the Booker prize shortlist/longlist & I've read a lot of them now.

I have just started "Serena" by Ron Nash.

I just finished "Random Acts of Heroic Love" by Danny Scheinmann. That story sounds a bit like the new film out shortly with Colin Farrel & Saoirse Ronan, about a long trek through Siberia to escape from the gulag/camp.

Finished 'Skippy Dies' and absolutely loved it

Going to start Death in Tuscany by Michele Giuttari tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished Catch 22, LOVED IT. Brilliant ending.

I started The Great Gatsby last night. Not bad so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Wanted to read some "easy" thriller/fiction - so I got the Hunt for Red October for my Kindle..

brilliant - but you all know that, as you saw the movie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Starting Skippy Dies now

Reading it now too. Love it. Although I do find some of the language quite coarse, but that could just be me.

I'm reading Slaughterhouse 5 again as I got the book as a gift for Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I started Lucia Joyce: To dance in the wake this morning. It was a present from my mother for Christmas. Large book but I'm looking forward to getting into it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

Just finished Let The Right One In, now onto The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Don't know why I'm reading so many Swedish works lately.

Finished A Death in Tuscany and loved it

Picked up a P G Wodehouse 'Pigs Have Wings' in my mother's house today ... a bit of a laugh needed after all the bloody frost & snow.

Finished he Great Gatsby, not bad.
    Started Rebecca last night, love the atmosphere of it so far :)

• Advertisement

Starting 'Echoes from the Dead' by Johan Theorin

Reckless by Cornelia Funke

A Pair of Blue Eyes .... Thomas Hardy

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 hazydays

has anyone read the girl with the dragon tattoo series of books i got them for christmas and haven't a clue what they're about so reluctant to start them

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

hazydays wrote: »
    has anyone read the girl with the dragon tattoo series of books i got them for christmas and haven't a clue what they're about so reluctant to start them

I bought them but can't muster the inspiration to read them.

Am reading The Butcher Boy atm

i heard thats very good.. think i'll just try get started on the books i havent seen the film either so i'll just dive in to it and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Please let me know what you think of them. :)

George83 wrote: »
    I bought them but can't muster the inspiration to read them.

Am reading The Butcher Boy atm

Brilliant book
    very disturbing though :eek:

• Advertisement

Hey.

I was funny about reading them aswell but when I had a lazy day I decided I would try and I have to say I am delighted I did because I found them brilliant.

It's worth a try anyway.

hi :) i started the first one yesterday i found it hard to start as i couldn't picture where they were and stumbled over their names a bit but got kept going and on chapter 10 now and really enjoying it so glad i persevered with the beginning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just finished Hunt for Red October, perfect Christmas 'hungover' read :)

Started Freakonomics, been one of those I wanted to read for years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Started reading Lolita this week.

Quite disturbing, but surprisingly enjoyable! Wasn't expecting to laugh this much at it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

The Rachel Papers by Martin Amis. I keep finding myself reading Amis without having any particular affection for him. Though this one is quite funny.

Empire Falls by Richard Russo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Paraiso en la Otra Esquina (Paradise in the other corner) by Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa; a Christmas gift from Spain.
    It won the Nobel Prize for Literature last year so yeah, pretty good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The first 40 or so pages of the first one are very dense in terms of economics, if I remember correctly, but read them, you won't be sorry. It's a very enjoyable (if sometimes a little graphic) read, sometimes a bit predictable, but really worth it.

Currently reading: The Road (Cormac McCarthy); The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco); Molly Fox's Birthday (Deirdre Madden)... can't settle on one yet, all pretty good.

I'm reading a short book called Vampre my sister gave me me a loan of it. I'm not sure who the author is as it's all the way upstairs in the bedroom and I really don't want to walk up there to see. It's an Irish book and based in Skerries which I like :D Only a few chapters in but it seems good.

McCarthy The Road. Hard to disagree with consensus there.
    Skippy Dies. Over-hyped, I feel.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

• Advertisement

McCarthy The Road. Hard to disagree with consensus there.
    Skippy Dies. Over-hyped, I feel.

Over-hyped really?? I thought it was a fantastic book ... miles ahead of Finkler IMO

Over-hyped really?? I thought it was a fantastic book ... miles ahead of Finkler IMO

This is a matter of opinion - I don't want to get into an argument and I know a lot of people agree with you!

I've found it ridden with cliches and some of the writing seems really leaden. I don't find the Americanisms convincing and think a lot of the dialogue given to the teenage boys strains credulity. To me it seems like a second-class Amis or David Lodge. I'm about a third the way through so I'll reserve judgement until I finish. I bought Finkler but haven't read it yet so can't directly compare the two. On the whole, I think Emma Donohue's Room the superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

the complaints by ian rankin.not as good as the rebus books but still very good.

Undone by Michael Kimball

Starting it tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

The Divine comedy its actually not that bad wasnt expecting it to be as readable as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I'm currently reading Germania by Simon Winder. It's taken me a while to get into it but I find that with each chapter I'm getting more and more engrossed in the history of Germany. Definitely a worthwhile read for anyone with an interest in Germany.

Toibin's Blackwater Lightship.
    Jonathan Coe, The Closed Circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

Andre Agassi - Open. I love this book.I'm not that much of a tennis fan but this book is brilliant. I'd recommend it for any sportsfan.

The Gladiator by Simon Scarrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Just finished The Great Gatsby; now reading The Secret Garden and it's lovely :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement