Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Kalimah wrote: »
    Just finished the Millenium trilogy and enjoyed them on the whole. I read Angela's Ashes in one sitting. It was unbelievable. You couldn't make up the misery.
    I've started the Race of a Lifetime which is about the race for the White House in 2008 amd I'll read Alone in Berlin next. Has anyone read that yet?

I haven't read it yet but I've been meaning to get it, if you read it over the next 3 or 4 weeks which will be before I purchase it let us know what you think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

"The Call of the Wild" by Jack London. I've rarely met a dog who could go through the things that Buck goes through and come out of it in one piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. An excellent book.

Not surprisingly, I've no idea what to read next...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I haven't read it yet but I've been meaning to get it, if you read it over the next 3 or 4 weeks which will be before I purchase it let us know what you think of it.

I sure will. I was talking to a friend and he says it's an easy read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Kalimah wrote: »
    I sure will. I was talking to a friend and he says it's an easy read.

Good stuff, let's hope easy translates as engrossing :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Finished Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood last night. It was pretty good. I've now started Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke, which will undoubtedly take absolutely ages to read...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Finished "The Complete Maus" over the weekend and now getting my teeth into "Alone In Berlin". Very good so far. The Nazi reading theme for this week wasn't intentional.

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. An excellent book.

Not surprisingly, I've no idea what to read next...

A Canticle for Leibowitz. Just a suggestion, but only if you want to stick with the post-holocaust setting. Otherwise, stick with McCarthy because personally I think 'The Road' despite it being excellent is probably his weakest book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MonkeySocks24

I am currently reading.. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.. it is fascinating and very sad.. definately lives up to all the hype. Anyone got suggestions for a good read? I am nearly finished it and cant bare not to have another book to read after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

Just finished reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Its great and could not put it down. I started "Ghost Light" by Joseph O'Connor but finding it dense after the american book. Needs to be read during the day not in the middle of the night, but will get into the swing of it soon maybe keep it for holidays.

Now reading "Pearl of China" by Anchee Min. I have read other books by this author and they were very good. This one is over simplistic. It seemed to deal with the Boxer rebellion in about two pages. But at least its good to pick up during the night if you cant sleep.

Re-read "The Sea of Poppies" before that. Does anyone know when the next in the series is being published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    i am reading 'independence day' by richard ford at the moment, i love it so much.

I read these books twice I enjoyed them so much, though years apart. Havbe you read The Sports Writer, the lay of the land, etc. You will enjoy them so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CC23

SarahBM wrote: »
    You have to read the Notebook and the Wedding.

Thanks SarahBM - have seen the Notebook movie. Would that ruin it for me? Recently read Dear John as well which I really enjoyed and am about to start the Choice. I know, widen my repertoire but.... I'm a little bit addicted!

Started reading 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin. It's 800 pages, has a ridiculous amount of hype behind it, is on the bestsellers list in America, the film rights have been bought by Ridley Scott and from the couple of reviews I have read it has a vampire element to it. Also, when I have it with me in my bag it feels like I'm carrying a small child such is the weight. It has all the makings of being a overhyped piece of **** but 150 pages in and thoroughly enjoying it. Anyone read it or bought it? It was only out here last week so probably not many people have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

Starting The Stand by King as soon as I can finish The Freedom Writers Diary,hard enough to get through but some good stories in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Just started The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

Reading Druss the Legend by David Gemmel. So far it's seems to be somewhat a generic revenge story, but I've been hearing that it's amazing by my friend who we both agree on pretty much anything, so I still have high hopes, hoping it picks up soon and proves to be as good as my friend made it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

Came across Schindler's list by Thomas Kenneally in a second hand book shop. Loved the film, but the book is set out in such a way that he uses info only that has been verified either by first hand accounts or other evidence. He really has researched the subject well and it makes for an enthralling read.

(currently about half way through btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Reading The Stand at the moment. Id given up on Stephen King after failing twice to get more than 100 pages into 'It', not that it was scary, but just plain boring. But i'm 3/4's way through the stand now & its great. I can't say i'm going to bother picking up anymore of his stuff though. Far more important stuff higher on the list. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Reading The Stand at the moment. Id given up on Stephen King after failing twice to get more than 100 pages into 'It', not that it was scary, but just plain boring. But i'm 3/4's way through the stand now & its great. I can't say i'm going to bother picking up anymore of his stuff though. Far more important stuff higher on the list. :)

Go back and finish IT,it gets better,really,I wasn't a King fan either but I loved that book.
    Thought it was a great read,genuinly scared me.:o

The Stand is good so?
    Starting it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

storm2811 wrote: »
    The Stand is good so?
    Starting it soon.

I've found it a real page turner. Which is driving me mad cos i end up staying up reading even though i'm wrecked. The authors perferred edition thats out now seems to have alot of meat on it but it's such an easy fluid read i've flew through it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ArcadeFred

Reading 'The Group' by Mary McCarthy at the mo and really enjoying it :) It's set in the 30s and the cover compares it to a 'Sex and the City' of that time - which is NOT why I bought it, I am not a fan of satc at all! - but that is quite a good description of it actually. With better writing, of course. Not that that would be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

The Junior Officers Reading Club , Patrick Henessy

good inside story on the british troops in afghanistan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I'm currently reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. Not too much more to go, I like it so far. I like his philosophical theories and the simplicity of the book.

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I'm currently reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. Not too much more to go, I like it so far. I like his philosophical theories and the simplicity of the book.

I read it! it melted my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

Reading 'I Can See You' by Karen Rose now. First book of hers that I've read, really liking it but it was fairly obvious from the start who the baddie was!

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Reading 'I Can See You' by Karen Rose now. First book of hers that I've read, really liking it but it was fairly obvious from the start who the baddie was!

Oh I hate when I can tell where the story is going or who the baddie is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Just started 'The Pianist' this evening.

Think I'm really going to like it, and learn a lot too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Im reading "World Without End" by Ken Follet. Its fantastic so far. Its the equel to "Pillars of the Earth", which also was fantastc.
    They are just great stories that draw you in, great characters and extremely well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I was disappointed in World Without End though I loved the Pillars of the Earth. I just couldn't believe in the characters. It was like reading about 21st century people transported back to 13-whatever it was .

Started Alone in Berlin. It's excellent. Very well translated and very atmospheric. It carries you along.I'm only 50pages in but I'm hooked. Would really reccommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Im about 150 pages into it, im liking it so far :)

Advertisement