Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

ArcadeFred wrote: »
    Reading 'The Group' by Mary McCarthy at the mo and really enjoying it :) It's set in the 30s and the cover compares it to a 'Sex and the City' of that time - which is NOT why I bought it, I am not a fan of satc at all! - but that is quite a good description of it actually. With better writing, of course. Not that that would be difficult.
    You should try this one:
    The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Everything-Rona-Jaffe/dp/0143035290/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278975581&sr=1-1

It's set in New York in about the 1950's. I'm not a SATC fan either, but I really enjoyed this book. It's about a group of women working in publishing (a similar story) but I really liked how realistic it was. You'll enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Just started 'The Pianist' this evening.

Think I'm really going to like it, and learn a lot too

Finished this, it was excellent, it was written by a Polish Jew, who had never ended up in a camp through a mixture of luck, hiding and the generosity of one german soldier. And the fact that it was written directly after the war, in a fairly detached manner, makes it illustrative of the realities in the Warsaw ghettoes.

Just about 100 pages into A thousand Splendid Suns which my sister has assured me is better than The Kite Runner. Enjoying it so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I read 5 books on holidays:

Nobodys child - ok
    The gauldi key - loved it
    The last testament - good
    Book of souls - good
    The snowman - loved it

I'm back home 1 week and have just finished the passage and it was great, thinking of re-reading it.

also thinking of getting 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' on e-book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MonkeySocks24

I'm reading Woodlander by Hardy, took awhile to get into but now I really enjoying it. It's one of those books that you look forward to going home to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

For almost a month now I've been reading Look at the Harlequins by Vladimir Nabokov. It's only 196 pages long. :o
    I'm in a real reading slump at the moment, I just can't seem to get going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The Family That Couldn't Sleep: Unravelling A Venetian Medical Mystery by D.T. Max

Actually one of the most interesting books I've read in ages. It's about FFI, CJD, Scrapie and Kuru, and the quest to find out what caused them. About half way through and it's consistently gripping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I'm glued to "Schindler's Ark" by Thomas Keneally at the moment. As fascinating as it is, I am getting a little confused with the multitude of minor characters. Nevertheless, a worthwhile read :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Toes

Just finished Generation Kill by Evan Wright and just getting into Stalingrad by Anthony Beever, both absolutely amazing books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

Just re-read The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar by Roald Dahl.
    Found it at the bottom of the press the other day,reminded me of reading it when I was younger.
    Still working on The Stand,good so far.

storm2811 wrote: »
    Just re-read The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar by Roald Dahl.
    Found it at the bottom of the press the other day,reminded me of reading it when I was younger.
    Still working on The Stand,good so far.

I was convinced that if I tried hard enough that I'd be able to see through my fingertips. trained by looking into the candle and everything.

I love Roald Dahl but haven't read any in 10 years at least, would love to read Boy and Going Solo again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

I was convinced that if I tried hard enough that I'd be able to see through my fingertips. trained by looking into the candle and everything.

I love Roald Dahl but haven't read any in 10 years at least, would love to read Boy and Going Solo again

:pac:
    I forgot how much I love his books,I feel a Roald Dahl shopping spree coming on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

Reading 'The Remnant' by Christy Kenneally. Bit slow to start, finding it hard to pick up and read. Not making me want to go back to it but it won't beat me, I will read it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I just started "Zeitoun" by Dave Eggers, for the book club. I love all of the other books by Dave Eggers, well worth reading.

He always seems to base his books on real life stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

Just about 100 pages into A thousand Splendid Suns which my sister has assured me is better than The Kite Runner. Enjoying it so far

I loved that book, I agree with your sister, it is better than the Kiterunner. While I loved the Kiterunner as well I just thought that the end went on a little longer than it should have.

Anyway I'm about to start 'Half of a Yellow Sun' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche. A friend said it was good so hopefully it will be:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Warm Panda Cola

Just started reading World War Z by Max Brooks last night, only about 20 or so pages into it so I can't say much on it just yet, but so far so good. It came highly recommended to me so I have very high hopes for it:D

I was in the middle of reading the Adventures of Huckelberry Finn, but I just couldn't plough through it, I don't know why, it's very rare I don't finish a book.

neveah wrote: »
    I loved that book, I agree with your sister, it is better than the Kiterunner. While I loved the Kiterunner as well I just thought that the end went on a little longer than it should have.

Anyway I'm about to start 'Half of a Yellow Sun' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche. A friend said it was good so hopefully it will be:)

Just finished it last night, it was very good, seemed to be a lot tighter than the kite runner but I still may have liked the kite runner more. Maybe because it was my first time reading about Afghanistan and because it was from a boys persepctive. Anyway, I have loved both of them.

Starting A Confederacy of Dunces tonight which promises to be an intelligent, witty satire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Starting A Confederacy of Dunces tonight which promises to be an intelligent, witty satire

Great book.

About to start Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely.

Has got some mixed reviews, but feel like some non-fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Just finished it last night, it was very good, seemed to be a lot tighter than the kite runner but I still may have liked the kite runner more. Maybe because it was my first time reading about Afghanistan and because it was from a boys persepctive. Anyway, I have loved both of them.

Really enjoyed that book, love Ignatious. I'd be interested in hearing what you thought of it because a lot of people tire of it towards the end. The back story of the author is very sad as well, if a tad ridiculous.

Finished 'The Passage' last night, definitely an epic and very enjoyable. I labored through the middle section but it was worth it. It's definitely a trilogy, in my opinion at least. A person above said they were going to re-read it, get ****ing out of here! Re-read a 786 page, fairly straightforward book a couple of days after you just finished it? I find that hard to believe!

Anyway, reading ' American Rust' by Philip Meyer next and looking forward to it.

Really enjoyed that book, love Ignatious. I'd be interested in hearing what you thought of it because a lot of people tire of it towards the end. The back story of the author is very sad as well, if a tad ridiculous.

I'll post back when I finish so :) I read the note on the author already, it was very sad, fair play to his mother for persevering

• Registered Users Posts: 17,760 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

It took me 6 weeks (:o) but I FINALLY finished Moby Dick!! :D:D:D:D

The last 100 or so pages were a lot more engaging than the 200 pages of 19th century whaling trivia.

Up next:The Wasp Factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭zippygirl

Moonlight & Vines by Charles de Lint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oh dekko

just finished " The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet", was a little condensed towards the end and i wish it was longer but a helluva lot better than his last. Am presently back on my india buzz and reading " The Siege of Krishnapur"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Warm Panda Cola

QUOTE]

I know that feeling! It took me about 4weeks to get through The Count of Monte Cristo! Even though I absolutely loved it, it still feels like you've just run a marathon when you get through something like that:D

QUOTE]

I know that feeling! It took me about 4weeks to get through The Count of Monte Cristo! Even though I absolutely loved it, it still feels like you've just run a marathon when you get through something like that:D

Wasn't as bad as Ulysses, took me 3 months to get through that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am reading Martin Amis Money... And enjoying it, but I find that I am only a couple of pages in and I am falling asleep... It took me a while to get used to his style,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Finished Alone in Berlin today. So so good. A great translation of a really moving story. Fallada finished it in 24 days I believe. Amazing.

Just finished The Wasp Factory (26 hours, it certainly was easier to get through than Moby Dick :P). Good book, real page turner, but REALLY disturbing :eek:

Up next: At Swim-Two Birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I am reading 1984 by George Orwell. I am finding it very interesting and I can barely put it down, I stayed up most of the night (well till about 2.30) reading it and I am just finished it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Just finished The Wasp Factory (26 hours, it certainly was easier to get through than Moby Dick :P). Good book, real page turner, but REALLY disturbing :eek:

The wasp factory is one of my favorite books of all time, all because it had me all like WTF? for a week!

I tried to read at swim to birds several times but I just could NOT get into it! It frustrates me :( Good luck with it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Really is an excellent book.
    What Eric see's in the hospital literally made me shiver for about a week thinking about it, the only book that has shaken me up like that

Read Crow Road but that's it from Ian Banks, anyone recommend others?

Advertisement