Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Started Go Set a Watchmen yesterday and just after finishing it. I was so disappointed in it. After loving To Kill a Mockingbird last week, I wish I hadn't bothered reading it.

About to start Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. It's the 3rd book in the Gentlemen Bastards series. I adored the other two books so I'm looking forward to this.

I've put David Copperfield on hold because I started losing interest in it, but I will get back to it. I'm also still dipping in and out of A History of the World by Andrew Marr.

I feel very uncomfortable with how Go Set a Watchman was released and how much actual consent Harper Lee could give. It sounds like a draft rather than this finished novel they've found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I didn't know anything about it really other than it was supposed to be a sequel, but once I finished it I googled it to see reviews and it's only now i've learned that she has dementia and may or may not have agreed to release it, and i also read somewhere that it is possibly a draft that ended up as Mockingbird.
    Regardless I'm going to try and pretend I haven't read it so it doesn't taint Mockingbird.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I read somewhere that Watchman was written before Mockingbird. It featured loads of flashbacks to Scout's childhood and the publishers or an editor or someone liked these parts so much and suggested focusing on them instead and that's how Mockingbird came to be.

Now whether this version of Watchman is what was originally written back then or she went back to it after Mockingbird and changed it, well, who can say?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I finished Clear And Present Danger, took longer than I thought and near the end I just wanted it to finish. A bit drawn-out for a shoot-em-up thriller with USA as the good guys where everyone has an interesting and unique backstory.

I've started The Tailor Of Panama by John le Carrè and can't wait to get stuck into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Hey just to let you know, Amazon emailed and said that there may be some lines missing from the bottom of the page on Go Set a Watchman. I have them underneath this message in a spoiler so as not to ruin it for anyone. Amazon are sending an extra copy to everyone who ordered the book.
    There are only a couple of lines missing over 6 pages.
    p.252
    “I’ve killed you, Scout. I had to.”
    “Don’t you give me any more double-talk! You’re a nice,

p.261
    She grabbed for the water and drank rapidly. She kept her eyes closed and let the warm alcohol creep through her.

p.265
    “why not, sir?”
    “You wouldn’t have listened to him. You couldn’t have

p.268
    it by the letter and by the spirit of the law. That’s the way he lives.”

p.272
    “Feeble, hell! You’re about as feeble as a crocodile!” Jean Louise touched her mouth.

p.277
    “Atticus?”
    “Ma’am?”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I'm 30 pages into 'The Silver Linings Playbook' by Matthew Quick and I'm enjoying it so far, it reminds me of a grown-up version of 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' which I also read and enjoyed.
    Although I did read that it spoils some classics that I haven't read yet so I'll have to keep an eye out, I already got spoiled accidentally for 'Anna Karenina' in a book on religion, and After Hours/Buzzfeed (I should have known with that source to be honest) spoiled 'The Time Traveler's Wife' for me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A while back I mentioned I was struggling to get through The Count of Monte Cristo having hit a point in the middle that seemed to really drag. Well, I stuck with it on the advice of people here and overall, I am glad I did.

I did find a lot of elements that seemed to stretch the realms of credibility - particularly near the end - and there were times when I really disliked the Count's actions, but on the whole it wrapped up in a satisfactory way.

I will say though that I felt bad for
    the plight of Mercedes.Edmond gets to sail off into the sunset with a hot young woman while she apparently is left haggard and worn (before forty) and consigned to a life of loneliness. Harsh! I had expected the two would reconcile with one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

A while back I mentioned I was struggling to get through The Count of Monte Cristo having hit a point in the middle that seemed to really drag. Well, I stuck with it on the advice of people here and overall, I am glad I did.

I did find a lot of elements that seemed to stretch the realms of credibility - particularly near the end - and there were times when I really disliked the Count's actions, but on the whole it wrapped up in a satisfactory way.

I will say though that I felt bad for
    the plight of Mercedes.Edmond gets to sail off into the sunset with a hot young woman while she apparently is left haggard and worn (before forty) and consigned to a life of loneliness. Harsh! I had expected the two would reconcile with one another.

but it's still a brilliant story!!!!

Just beyond halfway through the Silkworm. Really enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Patrick McCabe's Winterwood. One of those types of books that seems to run the gamut of opinions. Personally I think its very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leocolceathrar

Farther and Wilder - Blake Bailey - Biography of Charles R. Jackson - worthwhile and informative read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I finished Harvest by Jim Crace which won this years impac though it's a couple of years old now. Loved the first half but got very bored with it and couldn't wait to finish it. Therefore I got a nice surprise at the end, thought I had about 15 pages to go but the end of the book is a prologue(taste) to another of his books.:p

I'm starting a new book tonight which is a new release called 'two hours', it's about he quest to bring the world record for the marathon below that magic number, I read a brilliant article on the subject by the author (Ed Caesar) in this months GQ magazine which has really whetted my appetite.

Finished the Silkworm and I loved it. Cannot wait for the next book.

Starting Spill Simmer Falter Either by Sara Baume. Heard good things about it. Only 20 pages I. but I like it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I finished "The Tailor Of Panama". Intelligently written and humourous. I felt it was very like "Our Man In Havana" and in his acknowledgements le Carrè does pay homage to Graham Greene.

Now I've started "The Black Arrow" by Robert Louis Stevenson. Hopefully I'll learn a bit about the War of the Roses, I'm just wary of the language used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I'm almost finished Tender by Belinda McKeon ... not nearly as good as Solace IMO Finished Tender ... OK but it would have made a better book it it had been tightly edited to about 200 pages. Next for the weekend is The House Where It Happened by Martina Devlin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Gone with the Wind.

Fathom wrote: »
    Gone with the Wind.

I wasn't able to finish it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

SarahBM wrote: »
    I wasn't able to finish it
    Classic. Long. Required reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Read James Ellroy's Perfidia this week. It is the first novel in a new L.A. Quartet series - set before the events of his first L.A. Quartet (which began with The Black Dahlia, and includes L.A. Confidential). Even though I raced through the 800 pages in three days, Perfidia is not as good as Ellroy's best, but still a cracking read.

I am now re-reading L.A. Confidential (very different to the film), and have begun Station Eleven as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

shazzerman wrote: »
    Read James Ellroy's Perfidia this week. It is the first novel in a new L.A. Quartet series - set before the events of his first L.A. Quartet (which began with The Black Dahlia, and includes L.A. Confidential). Even though I raced through the 800 pages in three days, Perfidia is not as good as Ellroy's best, but still a cracking read.

I am now re-reading L.A. Confidential (very different to the film), and have begun Station Eleven as well.

LA Confidential is a beast of a book, the fact they stripped out a lot and were still left with a hefty film says a lot.
    I wasn't crazy about Perfidia either, I think he tried to shoevhorn too much of the other books into it.
    I would recommend David Peace's Red Riding Quartet, similar to Ellroy but more grim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Just finished Napoleon the Great by Andrew Roberts; a fantastic behemoth of a book. Now on to An Anthropologist on Mars by Oliver Sacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I am trying to read GWTW too......it is long. Though I am enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I do agree with you, I am disappointed with GKAW. I have downloaded TKAM onto my Kindle, I just want to remind myself how brilliant Harper Lee is.

Finished The House Where It Happened - great read beautifully written.

Now it's on to The Magician's Wife by Brian Moore

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Maslacko

Just moved to Dublin and ofc, joined the library.. Started with the books from a-d section.. I am reading Lucy Dillon books, all of them :) I can't believe you can borrow up to 12 books :)

The Little Prince

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Used to have a huge interest in reading as a kid, but lost it as I was going through university. I didn't get the same enjoyment out of reading a book for pleasure after reading books for work all day.

Decided to pick up a Stephen King book the other day, "Joyland". Tbh, it wasn't great, just ok. There was a lot of waffle in it and it was boring for long parts. The ending was poor enough too I thought.

But the book has whetted my apatite for reading again. Ordered some online and can't wait to get stuck in:
    - Any Human Heart: William Boyd
    - Fight Club: Chuck Palahniuk
    - Salem's Lot: Stephen King
    - 11.22.63: Stephen King
    - Misery: Stephen King

I actually couldn't even wait for them to be delivered, so I picked up Kite Runner yesterday. Decided to read the opening chapter before bed around 1.30am and when I looked at the clock again it was 3.30am. Feels like its going to be very good, its been that way so far so hopefully it doesn't let me down.

Feels good to be back!

Junior D wrote: »
    Used to have a huge interest in reading as a kid, but lost it as I was going through university. I didn't get the same enjoyment out of reading a book for pleasure after reading books for work all day.

Decided to pick up a Stephen King book the other day, "Joyland". Tbh, it wasn't great, just ok. There was a lot of waffle in it and it was boring for long parts. The ending was poor enough too I thought.

But the book has whetted my apatite for reading again. Ordered some online and can't wait to get stuck in:
    - Any Human Heart: William Boyd
    - Fight Club: Chuck Palahniuk
    - Salem's Lot: Stephen King
    - 11.22.63: Stephen King
    - Misery: Stephen King

I actually couldn't even wait for them to be delivered, so I picked up Kite Runner yesterday. Decided to read the opening chapter before bed around 1.30am and when I looked at the clock again it was 3.30am. Feels like its going to be very good, its been that way so far so hopefully it doesn't let me down.

Feels good to be back!

Misery was the first Stephen King book I read. I thought it was brilliant! The kite runner has been sitting on the bottom of my to read pile for literally years. I had read a thousand spendid Sun's and I didn't like it.
    Let me known what you think of the kite runner.

For the weekend I'll be reading We Are Water by Wally Lamb

• Advertisement

I finished spill simmer falter wither. I didn't get the ending.
    Don't know what I want to read next

Advertisement