Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    As I bypassed two lines of near-stationary traffic on Fairgreen Road recently, I had a quick look at the yellow box just here.

Its actual function when I saw it was to allow motorists avail of the gap to cut in from the right lane into the left lane. Cue furious blowing of horns by motorists behind who were queuing in the left lane.

If motorists taking the left lane, as required by the Traffic Management Plan, did not leave space at this point, the queue jumpers would not get any advantage. So what is being achieved by dutifully leaving the yellow box clear?

I believe that yellow box is painted there so that busses can travel in the college road lane to avoid queues and then turn left into the station (as per the road signs saying busses can travel in the college road lane on Lough Atalia road).
    Of course it is rendered fairly pointless because of all the ignorant fools who think it is ok to try to skip the queue and end up blocking the whole of the college road lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

As I bypassed two lines of near-stationary traffic on Fairgreen Road recently, I had a quick look at the yellow box just here.

Its actual function when I saw it was to allow motorists avail of the gap to cut in from the right lane into the left lane. Cue furious blowing of horns by motorists behind who were queuing in the left lane.

If motorists taking the left lane, as required by the Traffic Management Plan, did not leave space at this point, the queue jumpers would not get any advantage. So what is being achieved by dutifully leaving the yellow box clear?

I was in town last week to visit Revenue offices. On leaving that office I used that very yellow box, correctly, to allow me to change lanes to head to Salthill.

On another note, the car park beside Revenue was completely full - at 9.30 in the morning? It got me wondering if the carpark was being used by the construction workers as I wouldn't have said it was a busy car park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

You'd think Tobin Consulting Engineers would be able to look out their window, see what's not working with their traffic management plan, and pop down to help fix it.

As an aside, I think it's hilarious that Revenue's regional office is in "Apartment 12".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,733 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

:-)

There are indeed a suite of apartments in the building which Revenue is in - would not surprise me if some of them are used for office space, even though the street address still says apartment. (The apartments entrance is separate from the offices one).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Has anyone called Tom about the traffic management plan?
    If people have any queries, you can telephone the Tobin engineer Tom on his mobile M-F 9-5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

snubbleste wrote: »
    Has anyone called Tom about the traffic management plan?
    If people have any queries, you can telephone the Tobin engineer Tom on his mobile M-F 9-5

No joe is the preferred option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

You'd think Tobin Consulting Engineers would be able to look out their window, see what's not working with their traffic management plan, and pop down to help fix it.

As an aside, I think it's hilarious that Revenue's regional office is in "Apartment 12".
    What do you think isn't working about the plan and what would you do differently? I haven't used the route once since the works began so am interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

For me it's the fact that the Council and its consultants were unable and/or unwilling to facilitate cyclists. My understanding was that they could not find a way to make the temporarily revised junctions work for cyclists, so they just chose the easiest option which was to make both College Road and Lough Atalia Road a two-lane one-way system, leaving cyclists to adapt however they could.

One reason this bugs me, apart from the obvious discommoding of cyclists, is the fact that the footpaths on LAR are routinely used for the illegal parking of cars.

000a66fb-642.jpg

I'm only aware of the problems for motorised traffic due to being there on a bike during a horn-blowing session, because I wouldn't dream of going there in a car.

The big issue seems to be lane-switching and queue-jumping, which was discussed earlier in this thread, starting around here I think: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057172957&page=11

As for doing things differently, it's too late now of course and anyway the Council/consultants probably made up their own minds long ago. However, now that I think of it, maybe one of the lanes could have been exclusively for buses (and bikes):
    Actually looking at that picture why didn't they make it one way during the works but make one of those lanes a bus lane? Especially given that Lough Atalia Road is the feeder for all of Galways buses, both private and public?

is the fact that the footpaths on LAR are routinely used for the illegal parking of cars.

It was obviously you or one of your ilk who is responsible for keying my car and 4 of my friends cars on different occasions over the last few years when parked outside another friends overnight on LAR, plenty of space to pass the cars on the footpath too.

Must have missed the person by seconds one night as one group arrived back around 3am and another a few mins later and the damage was done in-between, if they were caught well lets just say they would have enjoyed a night time swim....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It was obviously you or one of your ilk who is responsible for keying my car and 4 of my friends cars on different occasions over the last few years when parked outside another friends overnight on LAR, plenty of space to pass the cars on the footpath too.

What did the Gardaí say to you about this illegal behaviour and also the damage to the private property?

• Advertisement

Why would the Council put this on their portal today?
    Was there an accident or something?
    Reminder: Lough Atalia Road, Fairgreen Road, College Road one-way system is still a 50 kph zone. Please slow down.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why would the Council put this on their portal today?
    Was there an accident or something?
    Reminder: Lough Atalia Road, Fairgreen Road, College Road one-way system is still a 50 kph zone.
    Please slow down.

Checkout the GalwayBayFM news.
    Here's the link
    http://galwaybayfm.ie/campaigners-say-lough-atalia-traffic-plan-created-racetrack/

Oh.
    In fairness now, an accident is waiting to happen

What did the Gardaí say to you about this illegal behaviour and also the damage to the private property?

I didn't waste my time reporting it nor did the others as there was absolutely zero chance of catching anyone for it.

If I thought there was any chance I would have reported it instantly.

I didn't waste my time reporting it nor did the others as there was absolutely zero chance of catching anyone for it.

If I thought there was any chance I would have reported it instantly.

I am very disappointed in hearing this, it's your Civic duty to report these type of offences.

I am very disappointed in hearing this, it's your Civic duty to report these type of offences.

I've reported an incident before where a car parked with its front bumper stuck in my rear bumper and was left like this. Reported it, guards came to the scene took details and reg of the car park against mine all there for everyone to see and not a word did I ever hear about it again.

So you can see why I wouldn't waste my time on this and just have to stump up the few hundred euro myself to fix the damage done by this footpath "warrior" at 3am. Three cars done one night and two other cars done on separate occasions months apart all obviously the same person and not an area I would expecting many scumbags to be walking at night so I would be slow to blame some vandals having "fun".

So you can see why I wouldn't waste my time on this and just have to stump up the few hundred euro myself to fix the damage done by this footpath "warrior" at 3am.

What?
    Sounds like it was just a Galway City drunk - plenty of them around at that hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

The fact that cosain's simon comer provided the 'info' for that article means I'll believe zero of it. <snip|no need for that>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Garda Siochana on Twitter the last day had 2 tweets warning people that the limit was 50kph too.

0kLIdGy.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I've reported an incident before where a car parked with its front bumper stuck in my rear bumper and was left like this. Reported it, guards came to the scene took details and reg of the car park against mine all there for everyone to see and not a word did I ever hear about it again.

What did you expect the guards to do? It was a civil matter, up to you to claim on the other driver's insurance. They attended the scene and took details in case there was a dispute - if you didn't follow up and claim on their insurance why would they get in touch with you again? Did you expect them to do your job and process the insurance claim for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

What speeds were recorded in the original layout? Need to compare like with like. **** all were obeying a 50km/h limit then, that's for sure.

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    The fact that cosain's simon comer provided the 'info' for that article means I'll believe zero of it. <snip>

You have been proven wrong yet again - see the post from snubbleste. :mad:
    If you going to attack somebody's name on post why don't you be big and brave and sign off with your own real world name. Your a coward.

GDSGR8 wrote: »
    What speeds were recorded in the original layout? Need to compare like with like. **** all were obeying a 50km/h limit then, that's for sure.

Yes there was speeding on Lough Atalia Road prior but it is a known scientific fact that Dual Carriageways lend themselves to faster road speeds.

Zzippy wrote: »
    What did you expect the guards to do? It was a civil matter, up to you to claim on the other driver's insurance. They attended the scene and took details in case there was a dispute - if you didn't follow up and claim on their insurance why would they get in touch with you again? Did you expect them to do your job and process the insurance claim for you?

Maybe I wasn't clear but the other driver was not there and never showed up in the time we waited, it was basically a hit and run walk away.

I didnt have the other person details and the Guards were to find out who the person was from their reg, contact them and then contact me with details etc. The damage was minimal but it was the principal of the thing really.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Maybe I wasn't clear but the other driver was not there and never showed up in the time we waited, it was basically a hit and run walk away.

I didnt have the other person details and the Guards were to find out who the person was from their reg, contact them and then contact me with details etc. The damage was minimal but it was the principal of the thing really.

You take their reg and look at the insurance company on the disc on their window, get their policy number and ring your insurer, if you are claiming.

Or, if you want to sort it outside of insurers, you follow up with the Gardai to get the other car's information rather than wait for them to remember to update you. If you cant be arsed to follow up on your own car's damage, why would they?

Neyite wrote: »
    You take their reg and look at the insurance company on the disc on their window, get their policy number and ring your insurer, if you are claiming.

Or, if you want to sort it outside of insurers, you follow up with the Gardai to get the other car's information rather than wait for them to remember to update you. If you cant be arsed to follow up on your own car's damage, why would they?

Maybe because its their job? I've never been involved in an accident (thank god) and didn't know anything about the process of getting in contact with insurers etc. I know the process much better now from reading about it etc but it was years back and I wasn't as well up on it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Maybe because its their job? I've never been involved in an accident (thank god) and didn't know anything about the process of getting in contact with insurers etc. I know the process much better now from reading about it etc but it was years back and I wasn't as well up on it.

Actually they did their job - you just didn't do your bit. What you described was not an RTA but a civil dispute. They attended, took details and logged it. Its up to you then to begin to settle it between yourselves by beginning an insurance claim and the Gardai report forms part of that.

If you don't know the basics of what you need to do in the event of an accident, or incident with your car then you shouldn't be driving. Ditto for not knowing what your insurance is for. I bet you handed over a huge whack for it too, considering you are a young male driver that was presumably a relatively new driver with not much of a NCD built up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

5AnxnD.png

Advertisement