Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Waze free satnav has the current restrictions built in.
    You could drive across Quincentenary Bridge, in through Bohermore, turn left onto Bothar Bhreandain Ui Eithir.
    At the bottom you can turn right and park behing the Meyrick, but if you want to park in the Radisson, you will have to turn left, head out College Rd , turn right just past the Greyhound track onto Lough Atalia Road and take that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I am normally a good walker, not afraid to get the runners on. I am going to an evening event so will be too dressed up to walk around too far, even if I bring change of shoes. I don't live near the hospital, just didn't want to put my address online and I would be travelling from that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Well, you will be glad to know I made it to the Radisson, did a naughty u turn on Dublin road using a side entrance. Thanks again for all your help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    000a66fb-642.jpg
    Look at all those road signs!
    Signs should only be erected where there is a demonstrable need, because unnecessary, incorrect or inconsistent signs detract from the effectiveness of those that are required and tend to lead to disrespect for all signs.
    Traffic Signs Manual 1.1.10 http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/roads/english/traffic-signs-manual-2010/traffic-signs-manual-2010-chapter-1-introduction-and-sign-location.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭xtradel

snubbleste wrote: »
    Signs should only be erected where there is a demonstrable need, because unnecessary, incorrect or inconsistent signs detract from the effectiveness of those that are required and tend to lead to disrespect for all signs.
    Traffic Signs Manual 1.1.10 http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/publications/roads/english/traffic-signs-manual-2010/traffic-signs-manual-2010-chapter-1-introduction-and-sign-location.pdf

demonstrable need.....people are thick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Surely a road that used to be 2-way suddenly becoming 1-way is a 'demonstrable need'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

xtradel wrote: »
    demonstrable need.....people are thick!

I would be inclined to agree. In Galway there are many road users with a demonstrable need for a good kick up the arse. :)

For example, you may recall the repeated collisions at the Coolagh Roundabout a couple of years ago. Some motorists complained they weren't expecting it to be there, despite several signs back along the N6/M6 warning them of the junction's existence.

Apparently most speed limit signs in Galway are invisible, and lines are just meaningless smudges on the asphalt.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

There are multiple private entrances on the road. All the signs are to remind all the residents to turn right when they leave home. Fairly obvious I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Over an hour to get through Lough Atalia / Eyre Square this evening. I can't understand why people are letting lane jumpers jump in after waiting that long. Many of the lane jumpers seemed to think it was hilarious.

As for the motorbike taking the footpath along LAR and swerving around pedestrians...

Still no sign of a Garda or any enforcement of the traffic system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

J o e wrote: »
    Over an hour to get through Lough Atalia / Eyre Square this evening. I can't understand why people are letting lane jumpers jump in after waiting that long. Many of the lane jumpers seemed to think it was hilarious.

As for the motorbike taking the footpath along LAR and swerving around pedestrians...

Still no sign of a Garda or any enforcement of the traffic system.

2 Gardai were on the road outside the bus station/ raddisson at 17.45.
    A lot of the time the Lane jumpers take advantage of the buses and yellow boxes to get in. Its a bad situation there though.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

So funny to see car drivers get angry when they're the main cause of traffic congestion in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Pugzilla wrote: »
    So funny to see car drivers get angry when they're the main cause of traffic congestion in the first place.

True it's only drivers, thank goodness cyclists and pedestrians never get angry at motorists lacking consideration for other road users and breaking the rules of the road! :rolleyes:

So funny to see all angry people get angry because they are the main cause of anger in the first place.

I have to say though, the whole lane skipping thing is particular rage inducing and is a disease within this city. The amount of it i experienced today was crazy! What is wrong with people who willingly stop and let all these obnoxious drivers back into the correct lane. I'm not sure who is worse, the morons who queue skip/lane switch or the morons who let the other morons back in lane!!! I watched today as about 15 cars skipped in ahead of me, only about 100 metres in front of me because 3 cars decided to let everyone in. Of course i got the worst of reactions when someone smiled and pointed to the road in front of me as they pulled up beside me and angled their way slowly into my lane whilst nearly going metal to metal between both cars! The smile soon turn to "unpleasant" gesticulation when i shook my head disprovingly and pulled another metre forward to insure the prat could not bully his way in. I took even greater pleasure seeing all the cars behind him with their indicators to pull into my lane too, beeping him furiously for holding their queue up no doubt in a hurry to rush to the yellow junction box up ahead that they could jump into and block.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

:D who are the other causes of traffic congestion, apart from car drivers?

Eeden wrote: »
    :D who are the other causes of traffic congestion, apart from car drivers?

Bus drivers and motorcyclists!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

zarquon wrote: »
    Bus drivers and motorcyclists!
    I have never got stuck in a traffic jam caused by motorbikes yet !
    Nearly 30 years driving now maybe I'm the exception . confused.png

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Yeah, motorbikes don't cause traffic jams. They can slip by cars and don't slow down other vehicles following them unlike pushbikes.

I think if everyone converted to scooters we wouldn't need a bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Got close to the bridge yesterday, doesn't look like it's gonna be finished in May. I'm no expert but the site is not looking nearing completion anytime soon.

Yeah, motorbikes don't cause traffic jams. They can slip by cars and don't slow down other vehicles following them unlike pushbikes.

I think if everyone converted to scooters we wouldn't need a bypass.

So motorbikes and scooters don't add to congestion but push bikes do? Completely impartial analysis there no doubt! It's difficult to guess what your normal mode of transport is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

O.A.P wrote: »
    I have never got stuck in a traffic jam caused by motorbikes yet !
    Nearly 30 years driving now maybe I'm the exception . confused.png

I have been.

Rider came off a motorbike on the road between Cemetery Cross and Monaneenageisha. Badly hurt, both lanes were closed for a while. And it was rush hour, so a big traffic jam followed.

I have been.

Rider came off a motorbike on the road between Cemetery Cross and Monaneenageisha. Badly hurt, both lanes were closed for a while. And it was rush hour, so a big traffic jam followed.

Yes but that jam was caused by an accident , if a helicopter crashed at cemetery cross it would cause a traffic jam .
    I have never been stuck in a jam caused by a helicopter yet either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Yes but that jam was caused by an accident , if a helicopter crashed at cemetery cross it would cause a traffic jam .

A survey of one person is not a valid quota

A survey of one person is not a valid quota
    That's what I should have said biggrin.png

I have - an air ambulance landed on the road in Ealing Common but the rotors clipped a billboard so it was stuck there for hours. Chaos.

I have - an air ambulance landed on the road in Ealing Common but the rotors clipped a billboard so it was stuck there for hours. Chaos.

OK I have lost this time tongue.png
    "What did the Romans ever do for us though"
    wink.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Before anybody says that a speedboat never caused traffic, I have an personal anecdote to cover that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

What did the Romans ever do for us though.

They designed pedestrian crossings, an idea which might yet inspire similar features in Galway. We'll just have to wait and see, though not another 2000 years hopefully.

Pompeii_Xing_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

For want of a better thread, what the actual fúck is going on with the traffic these past few days? It's always bad but this week has been insane. Put it down to the British guests on Tuesday but Weds was even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Intifada wrote: »
    what the actual fúck is going on with the traffic these past few days?.

284374f558f572ff33.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any chance of the works being completed by next weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Intifada wrote: »
    For want of a better thread, what the actual fúck is going on with the traffic these past few days? It's always bad but this week has been insane....
    You are traffic.

Advertisement