Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Closure of Section of Lough Atalia Road from 23rd March to May, 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Folks, just gonna remind you all to keep a cool head, as always - remain civil towards one another.

Neyite wrote: »
    . What you described was not an RTA but a civil dispute. They attended, took details and logged it. Its up to you then to begin to settle it between yourselves by beginning an insurance claim and the Gardai report forms part of that.

That's where you are wrong, it was a hit and run. If your car is hit and damaged while parked and the person leaves the scene then it is a hit and run.
    If you don't know the basics of what you need to do in the event of an accident, or incident with your car then you shouldn't be driving. Ditto for not knowing what your insurance is for. I bet you handed over a huge whack for it too, considering you are a young male driver that was presumably a relatively new driver with not much of a NCD built up.

I did understand what my insurance was for, I did, however, think that I needed the persons details before ringing up (name and address etc) which I would imagine most people think. Thats utter sh*te saying I should be driving, the person who parked in my back bumper is the person who shouldn't be driving.

In any case the guards told me I didn't need to do anything as they would find the person and get back to me. It went on a while and as there was basically no damage I didn't go trying to ring up and get back in contact with the guards.

I was more interested in getting the person in trouble for their utter stupidity anyway rather than getting money out of it. Had there been damage that needed fixing it would have been different.

This happened about 8 years ago btw its not a recent event, so I cant remember if I was a named driver or had my own insurance at the time. I had about 4 years driving done though so either way my insurance wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I have to say, I find the temporary setup ideal, especially for going home in the evenings however I suspect a lot of people are avoiding the whole area leading to less traffic going in in the morning and less going out that route at night.

I've seen the speed issues alright but tis no different to the speed limits on the "outer" bypass which are routinely broken and not as much done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Might turn into a right-laner just to spite the Advertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Yes there was speeding on Lough Atalia Road prior but it is a known scientific fact that Dual Carriageways lend themselves to faster road speeds.

Its not a dual carriageway

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Its not a dual carriageway
    Of course it is not..but it sure feels like one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

That's where you are wrong, it was a hit and run. If your car is hit and damaged while parked and the person leaves the scene then it is a hit and run.

A hit and run, but the other driver left their car there?! Haha... you can't actually be serious? :D:D:D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

No. A hit and run is where the car and the driver leave the scene. You had a registration number, make and model, and insurance disc of the 'hit and run' right in front of you.
    wrote:
    I did understand what my insurance was for, I did, however, think that I needed the persons details before ringing up (name and address etc) which I would imagine most people think. Thats utter sh*te saying I should be driving, the person who parked in my back bumper is the person who shouldn't be driving.

You had the insurance company and the policy number, and the registration. You ring up your insurance company and tell them this and they can contact the other insurer and the other insurer type in the number to their computer and they pretty much know everything there is to know about your hit and run driver. Including the name and address.
    In any case the guards told me I didn't need to do anything as they would find the person and get back to me. It went on a while and as there was basically no damage I didn't go trying to ring up and get back in contact with the guards.
    If there was basically no damage, why call the gardai?
    I was more interested in getting the person in trouble for their utter stupidity anyway rather than getting money out of it. Had there been damage that needed fixing it would have been different.
    So there was no damage, nothing needed fixing, and you didn't log it to your insurer. The Gardai cant prosecute for imaginary crimes, nor can insurers pay out for damage that doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Jez louise...get over yourselves. ..any update on how the works are progressing?

No. A hit and run is where the car and the driver leave the scene. You had a registration number, make and model, and insurance disc of the 'hit and run' right in front of you.

It was technically an accident and the driver left the scene. Stop trying to pretend it wasn't.
    If there was basically no damage, why call the gardai?

I didn't move my car until the Gardai came to the scene so they could see what happened so I I didn't know if there was damage or not. It was 50:50 really but luckily the bumper popped back out and only left a very small mark, a mark that I would definitely want repaired on my current car but wasn't as concerned about on my car back then.
    The Gardai cant prosecute for imaginary crimes.

I'd consider it careless driving.

I'm done debating over this anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It was technically an accident and the driver left the scene. Stop trying to pretend it wasn't.

I didn't move my car until the Gardai came to the scene so they could see what happened so I I didn't know if there was damage or not. It was 50:50 really but luckily the bumper popped back out and only left a very small mark, a mark that I would definitely want repaired on my current car but wasn't as concerned about on my car back then.

I'd consider it careless driving.

I'm done debating over this anyway.
    And id consider bad spelling a crime, doesnt mean it is though!

New signs put up :D Buses can weave all they like
    4qjbH2Cl.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Is this on track to finish on time?

Is this on track to finish on time?

Laat I heard they were slightly ahead of schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

kippy wrote: »
    Laat I heard they were slightly ahead of schedule.

Whaaaaat!!! :eek::eek:

Eeden wrote: »
    Whaaaaat!!! :eek::eek:

LAST I HEARD THEY WERE SLIGHTLY AHEAD OF SCHEDULE :)
    That was about 10 days ago. The poor weather in the past week may have impacted on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The taking of road photos kinda annoys me

The taking of road photos kinda annoys me
    Whoy whoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

snubbleste wrote: »
    New signs put up :D Buses can weave all they like
    http://i.imgur.com/4qjbH2Cl.jpg?1

That'll work.

Like all the other signs and lines work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    That'll work.

Like all the other signs and lines work.

In fairness, I didn't understand the meaning of the original signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Sorry if this has been asked before. I need to drive from Newcastle/hospital area to the radisson tomorrow - probably parking in radisson car park. Which way do I drive? I have avoided the whole area since the bridge works.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I need to drive from Newcastle/hospital area to the radisson tomorrow - probably parking in radisson car park. Which way do I drive? I have avoided the whole area since the bridge works.
    Take the 405 bus or 404 bus
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360756701-405_Rahoon-Ballybane.pdf
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1360756699-404_Newcastle-Eyre-Square.pdf

snubbleste wrote: »

Very helpful when the question is "I need to drive" :rolleyes:

Honestly some people....

To answer the actual question, I haven't driven in the area myself but I think you will have to come back in along Lough Atalia road if you want to park in the Radisson car park. Probably over the quincentennial bridge and up to the junction at the huntsman and back in along Lough Atalia would be the handiest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

But you cannot turn right at huntsman junction, (coming from bohermore direction towards renmore. )

So continue straight through the junction, cut through the wellpark centre, then head straight on towards lough atalia.

You can take right lane as going to radisson car park

Julabo wrote: »
    But you cannot turn right at huntsman junction, (coming from bohermore direction towards renmore. )

Good to know, part of the measures in place at the moment I take it?

Good to know, part of the measures in place at the moment I take it?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Julabo wrote: »

So continue straight through the junction, cut through the wellpark centre, then head straight on towards lough atalia.

You can take right lane as going to radisson car park

IS there not a straight through allowed at the fairgreen forster street junction. If so, going through bohermore, down the hill to the college road junction and then straight across would be best. If it's not permitted then the same route but turning up through college road from the junction and then down lough atalia is better.

Advising people to rat run through the wellpark centre is terrible advice.

zarquon wrote: »
    IS there not a straight through allowed at the fairgreen forster street junction. If so, going through bohermore, down the hill to the college road junction and then straight across would be best. If it's not permitted then the same route but turning up through college road from the junction and then down lough atalia is better.

Advising people to rat run through the wellpark centre is terrible advice.
    No straight through the junction coming down the hill to the college road junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Thanks for your help everyone. I can't take a bus as I am coming home late at night but am tempted to get a taxi to avoid the stress!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Thanks for your help everyone. I can't take a bus as I am coming home late at night but am tempted to get a taxi to avoid the stress!

Not taking the p1ss but it's only about a 15 min walk from the hospital, if that is viable for you.

Advertisement