Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling in the '10's

Options
  • 06-08-2019 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Almost the end of the decade, and another installment of Reeling in the Years due soon. What will this series be like? What are the main stories you remember of the 2010's

Comments

Closure of Waterford Rosslare railway to passenger services.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Recession for the first few years, visits from the queen and the pope, a lot of kilkenny and dublin All-Irelands, the liberation of our abortion and marriage laws, Trump and Brexit. And hopefully a good run in the rugby world cup later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

The great bread shortage of 2018's blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

Multiple referendum, terror attacks across Europe & Brexit.

HSE incompetence writ large. Cervical check scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Closure of Waterford Rosslare railway to passenger services.

This. An absolute disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

The 2016 celebrity deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Off the top of my head;

2010- IMF Bailout, Economic crisis, Gerry Ryan Died, Mary Byrne on XFactor
    2011 - Queen & Obama visits, Election of FG/Lab Govt, Jedward at Eurovision, Dublin's new Golden Age in Gaelic Football begins, Michael D elected President of Ireland
    2012 - London Olympics/Katy Taylor, Savita Halapanavarr death, Obama Re-elected
    2013 - Pope Benedict abdicates, Pope Francis elected, Death of Thatcher
    2014 - Malaysian Airlines Crashes (Indian Ocean & Ukraine), Garth Brooks debacle
    2015 - Marriage Equality Referendum, Leo comes out
    2016 - Brexit & Trump, TM becomes British PM, Deaths of Bowie, Prince & George Michael, OCI Ticket Scandal
    2017 - UK Terror Attacks, Leo becomes Taoiseach
    2018 - Storm Emma/Beast from the East, Summer Heatwave, Abortion Referendum, Pope's Visit to Ireland, Dolores O'Riordan dies
    2019 (so far) - BoJo becomes British PM, Ongoing Brexit disaster, 'Send her Back', Ongoing health Crisis (Children's Hospital, Cervical Check)

Should be interesting viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

LordBasil wrote: »
    Off the top of my head;

2010- IMF Bailout, Economic crisis, Gerry Ryan Died, Mary Byrne on XFactor
    2011 - Queen & Obama visits, Election of FG/Lab Govt, Jedward at Eurovision, Dublin's new Golden Age in Gaelic Football begins, Michael D elected President of Ireland
    2012 - London Olympics/Katy Taylor, Savita Halapanavarr death, Obama Re-elected
    2013 - Pope Benedict abdicates, Pope Francis elected, Death of Thatcher
    2014 - Malaysian Airlines Crashes (Indian Ocean & Ukraine), Garth Brooks debacle
    2015 - Marriage Equality Referendum, Leo comes out
    2016 - Brexit & Trump, TM becomes British PM, Deaths of Bowie, Prince & George Michael, OCI Ticket Scandal
    2017 - UK Terror Attacks, Leo becomes Taoiseach
    2018 - Storm Emma/Beast from the East, Summer Heatwave, Abortion Referendum, Pope's Visit to Ireland, Dolores O'Riordan dies
    2019 (so far) - BoJo becomes British PM, Ongoing Brexit disaster, 'Send her Back', Ongoing health Crisis (Children's Hospital, Cervical Check)

Should be interesting viewing

Good memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Anto Lynch wrote: »
    Good memory.

No google memory.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

ROI qualified for two major championships (amazingly).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Grenfelle Tower
    Manchester Bombings
    Mass shootings in the USA
    The election of Trump
    Migrants drowning at sea
    The Hutch/Kinahan war
    Forced home evictions by banks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Recession, bailout, Hutch/Kinahan feud, abortion referendum, rise of ISIS, first openly gay Taoiseach, McGregors rise to fame, would all have to feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I moved house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Recession, referendums, Trump, Brexit, lots of more things, but that's the bones of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

It was a pretty crazy decade all told.

Trump and Brexit dominate the end of it. Obama the start - it’s gotten worse. Syrian and Libyan wars. Mass migration and merkel. The rise of Isis and Islamist and the increase in nationalist sentiment. Rise of politics by social media. Increasing heat in Europe.

Here the recession and the aftermath. The marriage referendum. Brexit Brexit Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

There will also be things mentioned that don't fit into 1 specific year, e.g Rise of Social Media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook), people taking selfies and so on, that can be used to fill up more quieter years.

Expect to hear music by Ed Sheeran, Adele, One Direction, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Hozier, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Sam Smith, Calvin Harris.

Facebook users no longer becoming seriously upset when they were DEFRIENDED.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

The great bread shortage of 2018's blizzard.

This made me chuckle too much. :pac:

The Internet really came into its down during those harsh times. The funny facebook clips of people dealing bread round the back of the sheds. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Shane Long goal against Germany.
    Robbie Brady goal against Italy.

Solemia wins the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Not to be pedantic (but I am) it's '10s not '10's. The apostrophe has no place before the s.

The '10s will for sure have the worst soundtracks compared to previous decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Facebook users no longer becoming seriously upset when they were DEFRIENDED.
    Unfriended, granddad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think they should wait another 10 years before they start making them again. One of the great things about the old reeling in the years were the odd foreboding quotes that ended up coming true and being very relevant 20-30 years later. Or a politician banging on about corruption and then being proven to be corrupt himself a long time after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Expect to hear music by Ed Sheeran, Adele, One Direction, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Hozier, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Sam Smith, Calvin Harris.

Good Lord! That is one dreadful list. I don't want to tempt fate by proclaiming that the next decade couldn't be any worse.

Man slipping on ice is the decade's greatest moment. It never gets old. The arrogant, arm-swinging, 'I'm an awfully busy man with places to go in the city' stride that pays no attention to circumstances. Such zeitgeist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Really?

It has to be "Same Sh!t,different Decade"
    When I watch the old reeling in the years I always think " Have we learned nothing from the past?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Isis bombings accompanied by Sam Smith's wailing. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

The introduction to the big bad world of the Vuvuzela at World Cup 2010, South Africa

21/25

Oh, now I remember, Brazil getting thrashed by Germany in 2012 world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,105 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

It will start in the middle of a recession and then close out 2019 with the start of another recession. Loads more in between.:D

Advertisement