Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling in the '10's

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Almost forgot:

FINAL FINAL death of GeoCites : Yahoo Japan shut down Geocities japanese homepages this year. The data will be stored for users up to March 2020.

Essentially, if you were web savvy in 1997, you had your own Geocities website, they had different 'neighborhoods' like 'Rodeo' and 'CapeCanaveral'.
    Millenials would regard Geocities as far too awkard nowadays to contend with.

I once ran a Geocities website up to 2000.

Yeah that was a biggie alright. I imagine RTE will dedicate an entire show just on that bombshell alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Carrickmines fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Cancellation of Ryanair flights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Possibly the Brian Cowen Garglegate affair in 2010 and for 2019 the Maria Bailey insurance claim controversy accompanied by a brief clip of her car crash interview with Sean O Rourke.

The Norwegian terrorist attacks in 2011 and Oscar Pistorius shooting his girlfriend in 2013 and his trial in 2015. The killing of Osama Bin Laden by the US military in 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

The Norwegian terrorist attacks in 2011 and Oscar Pistorius shooting his girlfriend in 2013 and his trial in 2015. The killing of Osama Bin Laden by the US military in 2011.

God,the Pistorious thing was so bizarre...is he still doing time.???...I remember the boards threads puns about the Gunners(Arsenal)Blade Runner had me wetting myself at the time(notwithstanding the awful tragedy behind the headlines obviously):p

The Gardai being shot on the Cooley Peninsula in Louth might make an appearance!

Obesity rates declining. People enabled to indulge their desire to be selfish dickheads and close off the rest of the world by staring at their newly-invented smartphones any time they feel the least bit awkward in public. Social media and constant exposure to information making everyone numb. All music sounding warbly overly-polished auto-tuned shyte. Scumbags of the old way (actual scumbags who were intimidating and scary) being replaced by vain, sun-bed users who wear girly jeans stuck to their legs, who are obsessed with their diet and haircut. Nobody cares about movies anymore because visual media is as readily available as air and the anticipation of watching something that is supposed to be entertaining is gone.

The "Games Convention" in the convention centre in the IFSC 2 years ago...

If the organisers don't have this successfully dead & buried by all accounts a great job is done so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

All music sounding warbly overly-polished auto-tuned shyte.

Scumbags of the old way (actual scumbags who were intimidating and scary) being replaced by vain, sun-bed users who wear girly jeans stuck to their legs, who are obsessed with their diet and haircut.

As if they'd cover this anyway :pac: but autotune was very ubiquitous in the 00s also.

I never get how people think "sunbeds" "skinny jeans" etc are a new phenomenon and more popular today than before

I suppose social media maybe clouds people's perceptions

When I was in college from 04-07 lads getting fake tan done, perfecting their hair, shaving chest etc. was even more common than nowadays imo. Look back at any soap/TV show, premier League game etc from the 1990s and see how groomed many of the 20-something males were even back then.

The ubiquity of metrosexuality goes back decades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Endless US Mass Shootings.

4 of the top 5 deadliest in the US have all come from this decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

The song 'Reelin' in the years' by Steely Dan I wrongly thought for ages it was Thin Lizzy.

Thought I was all zen and shih but I have a violent reaction when that guitar kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 68,070 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jr86 wrote: »
    As if they'd cover this anyway :pac: but autotune was very ubiquitous in the 00s also.

I never get how people think "sunbeds" "skinny jeans" etc are a new phenomenon and more popular today than before

I suppose social media maybe clouds people's perceptions

When I was in college from 04-07 lads getting fake tan done, perfecting their hair, shaving chest etc. was even more common than nowadays imo. Look back at any soap/TV show, premier League game etc from the 1990s and see how groomed many of the 20-something males were even back then.

The ubiquity of metrosexuality goes back decades

The lads doing the fake tan and shaved chest in 04-07 weren't the level of scrotes that are now going around presenting like cheap rentboys in San Francisco circa 1966. I blame McGregor getting scrotes in to expensive tailored rather than expensive Champion Sports clothes for all of this.

These days, someone in a tracksuit is probably out jogging, and someone in expensive, tiny jeans with a pomaded haircut is possibly going to beat you up.

There was a thing in the UK about 7/8 years ago of total "hard man" types wearing moccasins and skinny jeans that didn't meet their shoes. They'd also all started vaping. Its quite hard to feel intimidated by the ghost of a 17th century gay pirate, that also smells of strawberry shortcake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I don't remember it being mentioned already, but the Icelandic volcano was a fairly big deal at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Cultural Enrichment across Europe. Bataclan, Charlie Hebdo, Nice, Berlin etc. Coming to a city near you in the 2020's. Welcomed with open arms by our fearless leaders

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I don't remember it being mentioned already, but the Icelandic volcano was a fairly big deal at the time

The chaos that caused, all the flights across Northern Europe cancelled for days. I remember hearing that there were people that the Department of Social Protection found out were not living full-time in the country but claiming benefits here as they could not fly in for signing-on days. Every cloud and all that.

I wonder will a lot of the centenary commerations will feature;
    2012 Titanic
    2014 Start of WWI
    2016 Easter Rising - I think this will definitely feature
    2018 End of WWI
    2019 Meeting of first Dail

LordBasil wrote: »
    The chaos that caused, all the flights across Northern Europe cancelled for days. I remember hearing that there were people that the Department of Social Protection found out were not living full-time in the country but claiming benefits here as they could not fly in for signing-on days. Every cloud and all that.

I wonder will a lot of the centenary commerations will feature;
    2012 Titanic
    2014 Start of WWI
    2016 Easter Rising - I think this will definitely feature
    2018 End of WWI
    2019 Meeting of first Dail

I suppose you could also throw in the centenaries of the 1913 Dublin lockout and the 1915 sinking of the Lusitania as well. I agree that the centenary commemerations of the 1916 Rising will certainly be covered.

And the Treaty of Versailles

The Dublin Hurling Team's triumph under the management of Anthony Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

2010 - Ireland receives IMF / EU bailout of €85 billion (good start to the decade)
    2011 - Fianna Fail lose 51 seats in general election
    2016 - Labour lose 26 seats in general election
    2016 - Donald Trump elected US president
    2016 - Britain votes to leave the EU
    2017 - Stormont suspended indefinitely
    2017 - DUP supports UK conservatives in government
    2018 - Ireland achieves balanced budget for first time since 2007

• Advertisement

Three teenagers are crushed in the queue outside a nightclub/disco in Cookstown, Co.Tyrone.

Attracta house, and the scandalous way the residents were treated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭paulbok

Steve F wrote: »
    I was always under the impression these sort of programs were CHEAP to make?
    No Actors to pay
    No filming to be done,the audio-visual is sitting there in the archives
    The editors are already on the RTE payroll anyway so no extra wages to be paid?
    Maybe not I dunno :confused:

And the researcher/OP is getting their job done for them on boards foc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

This popped into my head just now, reminded me of this thread:

Remember when the Gardaí took a child away from a Roma family, because the child had blond hair? That was a bizarre episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This popped into my head just now, reminded me of this thread:

Remember when the Gardaí took a child away from a Roma family, because the child had blond hair? That was a bizarre episode.
    It turned out to be Boris Johnson . See how that turned out .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Cultural Enrichment across Europe. Bataclan, Charlie Hebdo, Nice, Berlin etc. Coming to a city near you in the 2020's. Welcomed with open arms by our fearless leaders

To the sound of Avici, Adele, George Ezra etc.
    Musical appropriation at its finest

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

I think from an Irish historical perspective, the most important years of the 2010s were 2010, 2011, 2015 & 2016. They witnessed;

The economic collapse of the country leading to the Troika Bailout.
    The electoral decimation of Fianna Fail in 2011, a party going from 70+ seats to just 20 was unheard of.
    The formation of the FG/Labour coalition in 2011, with the biggest Dail majority in history.
    The hugely historic, successful and long overdue visit of Queen Elizabeth II to the Republic in 2011.
    Leo Varadkar coming out as gay in 2015, the first serving minister to do so and then later that year the marriage equality referendum passing thereby changing the definition of marriage in the constitution.
    The 2016 General Election which led to the confidence and supply agreement between FF & FG.
    The 2016 Brexit Referendum which is still continuing to cause political headaches and economic uncertainty today. Hard to judge the full impact of this but I think if Brexit goes ahead it will fundamentally change these islands. It could be a disaster for Ireland or one of the best things to ever happen for the country, only time will tell.....

Advertisement