Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling in the '10's

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I wonder if Gerry Ryan`s death in 2010 will get a mention. After all he was one of RTE`s own. Although, on second thoughts, considering the circumstances of his death they will probably avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I wonder if Gerry Ryan`s death in 2010 will get a mention. After all he was one of RTE`s own. Although on second thoughts, considering the circumstances of his death, they will probably avoid it.

Course they'll mention it. A huge event. Still missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

I wonder if Gerry Ryan`s death in 2010 will get a mention. After all he was one of RTE`s own. Although on second thoughts, considering the circumstances of his death, they will probably avoid it.

It was a big story and he was a major star on RTE so it could. The other similar story I can compare it to is Katy French, was her death mentioned in the 2007 edition? I can't remember.

God, 2010 was such an awful, depressing year.

The Nal wrote: »
    Course they'll mention it. A huge event. Still missed.

I wonder will they though, taking into account the reason why he died. As I remember, the death of model Katy French in 2007 due to drug use was a huge story at the time yet didn`t get a mention in that year`s edition of RITY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Gerry Ryan will definitely be covered

Paidi O'Se in the GAA world also

In other international news, not sure if anyone mentioned the London lootings in 2011

I wonder will leicester City get a shout out. They might try and manufacture some Irish connection :pac:

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan will definitely be covered

Paidi O'Se in the GAA world also

In other international news, not sure if anyone mentioned the London lootings in 2011

I wonder will leicester City get a shout out. They might try and manufacture some Irish connection :pac:

None of their matches broadcast by RTE at the time so no.

I wonder will they though, taking into account the reason why he died. As I remember, the death of model Katy French in 2007 due to drug use was a huge story at the time yet didn`t get a mention in that year`s edition of RITY.

Can't really compare the two though. One was a socialite model who had been semi famous for about a year, mainly through attention seeking, and one was a broadcasting legend.

The demise of the old cable TV channel offerings in Ireland which incorporated BBC1 and BBC2.

SKY is NOT YOUR FRIEND

None of their matches broadcast by RTE at the time so no.

What so if Ireland won the Rugby World Cup in 2007 it wouldn't be covered as it was on TV3?

Or Shane Lowry's open win won't be mentioned?

It wouldn't surprise me to see Leicester get a brief mention after Portugal are shown upsetting the odds to win the Euros (Euros will be covered as Ireland participated in them). It can show scenes of fans celebrating rather than actual match footage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

What so if Ireland won the Rugby World Cup in 2007 it wouldn't be covered as it was on TV3?

Point of order. I am certain the 2007 WC was covered by RTE or was it TV3?

Either way it was not happy experience. They hyped themselves up something else before that WC.

• Advertisement

Point of order. I am certain the 2007 WC was covered by RTE or was it TV3?

Either way it was not happy experience. They hyped themselves up something else before that WC.

Nope was all TV3

Nope was all TV3

Fair enough. It was defo on terrestrial TV anyway as I did not have any paid channels in my gaff at the time.

Or Shane Lowry's open win won't be mentioned?

It wouldn't surprise me to see Leicester get a brief mention after Portugal are shown upsetting the odds to win the Euros (Euros will be covered as Ireland participated in them). It can show scenes of fans celebrating rather than actual match footage

Again very doubtful. I would think the Rio Olympics, Euro 2016 and the All Ireland hurling and football finals will be the only sporting events that will be featured for that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The appearance of social media, the iphone, smartphones
    myspace , youtube etc
    there was an irish version of the xfactor program .
    there were new companys running cable tv ,
    virgin media , etc which carry bbc and itv.they bought out the old cable company .
    Maybe gay byrne leaving the late late show will be mentioned .
    you can pay for eir tv or virgin media if you don,t like sky.
    Even without a sub , you can watch free tv on an old sky reciever.
    I do,nt think they will show any matchs that were not filmed by rte ,
    of course they show all the gaa all ireland final matchs .
    i think there,s a british version of reeling in the years shown on bbc northern ireland .
    With a different title .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

riclad wrote: »
    The appearance of social media, the iphone, smartphones
    myspace , youtube etc
    Maybe gay byrne leaving the late late show will be mentioned.

Myspace was founded in 2003 and saw its decline from 2010 when Facebook and other social media platforms took over.
    Again, YouTube was founded before the 2010s so I don't think it will make an appearance unless showing specific viral videos etc.

Gay Byrne left The Late Late Show in 1999!

lol. Poor Pat Kenny!

Speaking of which. They should show this, complete and unedited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk qualifying for the Europa League.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not sure of it's being mentioned but the Berkeley balcony collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

BuboBubo wrote: »
    2006 "Jumbo Breakfast Roll" by Pat Shortt playing with clips of multiple cranes on the Dublin skyline and builders all working away, then cuts to Bertie saying the boom is getting boomier.

After that it's all recession sh1t for a few years.

I'll definitely watch it.

The 10's probably won't be made for another few years, it'll take a lot of trawling through archives and expensive to make.

I was always under the impression these sort of programs were CHEAP to make?
    No Actors to pay
    No filming to be done,the audio-visual is sitting there in the archives
    The editors are already on the RTE payroll anyway so no extra wages to be paid?
    Maybe not I dunno :confused:

Not sure of it's being mentioned but the Berkeley balcony collapse.

How could we forget that? That will definitely be mentioned. So tragic.

Reading through this thread has brought home to me that so many unthinkable, unprecedented things have happened this decade that no one could have saw coming. Most of them awful but a few inspiring moments as well. It's flown by, I still think of 2012 as being like 4 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

LordBasil wrote: »
    How could we forget that? That will definitely be mentioned. So tragic.

I don't think we could forget it but I couldn't remember reading it in this thread!

I don't think we could forget it but I couldn't remember reading it in this thread!

Yeah, nobody mentioned it before now alright.

Myspace was founded in 2003 and saw its decline from 2010 when Facebook and other social media platforms took over.
    Again, YouTube was founded before the 2010s so I don't think it will make an appearance unless showing specific viral videos etc.

Unless they mean pat kenny, but sure wasn't that 2009? :pac:

haha haven't heard of MySpace in years and years. Instagram and Snapchat are the only ones that really rose to prominence in the 10s. Twitter and Facebook rose in popularity in the late 00s. YouTube was more 2006/07

Few more mentions, Fade Street and Tallafornia (shudder) might get a reference, as Ireland's answer to the likes of the Hills and Jersey Shore which were huge in the states in the early 10s.

Death of Terry Wogan. Yes, there's a bronze effigy of him in Limerick, No, I did'nt visit it when I was there last a few weeks ago.

Pinnacle of carreer: interviewing Muhammad Ali

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Nal wrote: »
    lol. Poor Pat Kenny!

Speaking of which. They should show this, complete and unedited.

That came out in 2006

Almost forgot:

FINAL FINAL death of GeoCites : Yahoo Japan shut down Geocities japanese homepages this year. The data will be stored for users up to March 2020.

Essentially, if you were web savvy in 1997, you had your own Geocities website, they had different 'neighborhoods' like 'Rodeo' and 'CapeCanaveral'.
    Millenials would regard Geocities as far too awkard nowadays to contend with.

I once ran a Geocities website up to 2000.

Almost forgot:

FINAL FINAL death of GeoCites : Yahoo Japan shut down Geocities japanese homepages this year. The data will be stored for users up to March 2020.

Essentially, if you were web savvy in 1997, you had your own Geocities website, they had different 'neighborhoods' like 'Rodeo' and 'CapeCanaveral'.

Websites don't really exist anymore. People just share stuff from the same 3 or 4 apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Almost forgot:

Why in the name of God would that feature in Reeling in the Years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Leo not being elected Leader of FFG or even FG .

Leo being on his knees to the Eu .

• Advertisement

The song 'Reelin' in the years' by Steely Dan I wrongly thought for ages it was Thin Lizzy.

Advertisement