Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling in the '10's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The rise of social media platforms such as Instragram, Snapchat etc. also, politicians using Twitter to communicate e.g. Trump etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Caitlyn Jenner

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

One of the most remarkable weeks in politics in the 2010s is now rarely spoken about, but it was a couple of days that were genuinely GUBU.

In just a few days in January of 2011, it was revealed by a Sinn Fein TD that Brian Cowen had had a series of personal contacts with Sean Fitzpatrick, former CEO and then-Chairman of Anglo Irish Bank. The Foreign Affairs MInister (Michael Martin) publicly turns against him, the party is divided. Five more senior ministers resign and the Green Party pulls out of Government. The Taoiseach struggles to fill every cabinet vacancy, since he doesn't have the Dail numbers to put new Ministers in Government. Only 7 remain, the absolute constitutional minimum. This leads to a farcical situation where MInisters have multiple portfolios, e,g, Eamon O'Cuiv is the Minister for Defence, the Minister for Social Welfare, and Minister for the Environment all at once.

Pat Carey is Minister for Communications, Energy, Natural Resources, Community, Equality, and Gaeltacht Affairs. Mary Coughlan is suddenly MInister for Health and MInister for Education.

Some of the resignations weren't even principled. Harney, Smyth, Dermot Ahern resigned because if they waited any longer, they'd stand to lose large a proportion of their MInisterial Pensions under the incoming Finance Bill.

This week in Irish politics is now largely forgotten. The turmoil and chaos is hard to believe, looking back. We were a rudderless ship.

I remember Vincent browne was interviewed for a few minutes on one of the morning radio shows and said that FF should loose all their seats at the then expected upcoming election

He was right

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

LordBasil wrote: »
    That period of late 2010/early 2011 will go down as the lowest in our history as a Republic;

The political chaos, bare-faced lies told to the public re The Bailout. ministers resigning to protect their huge pensions when IMF/ECB dictated austerity was being imposed on the country, Cowen's attempt at 'Jobs for the Boys', FF first backing Cowen then a few days later trying to get rid of him.

Utterly shameful.

It's well known that the decision to save Anglo was designed to try and save certain FF wealthy business men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Most of the biggest political/news stories have been mentioned, although i haven't seen the Belfast rape trial mentioned yet.

Some of the high profile tragedies like Jason Corbett, Karen Buckley and Ana Kriegel, will probably not be covered but were massive news stories of the decade

In sport McDowell, Clarke, McIlroy and Lowry's major wins will feature, as will McGinley captaining to Ryder Cup victory. Obviously every All Ireland win, and rugby/soccer triumph as all previously mentioned. Obviously the Olympics - with mainly Katie Taylor and the O'Donovans. In more specific cases Brian o'Driscoll's retirement will probably be covered, obviously Conor McGregor's triumphs and bout v Mayweather, and will they cover Eoin Morgan captaining England to world cup? :pac:

Weather - the 2012 rain all summer, 2010 freeze, Storm Ophelia 2017, "big Freeze" 2018, heatwaves in 2013 and 2018.

Volvo Ocean race in Galway will surely be covered from 2012

They generally have a few Fair City scenes. The Katy kidnapping storyline will likely feature. Derry Girls will perhaps feature?

In pop culture - Crystal Swing from 2010, Maura from Love island, Niall Horan and One Direction (and Mary Byrne in same year of XFactor), Westlife disbanded early in the decade and then re-united this year.

The ice bucket challenge, general rise of social media, ipad usage increase across schools and stuff, 'selfies' etc. Surely a few viral videos (Driver licence one surely too expletive-laden? :p)

Music that will surely feature - the token Irish mentions: Rubberbandits - Horse Outside (Clean) (2010), Westlife - Hello my love (2019), Crystal Swing - tequila (2010), Hozier - take me to Church (2015), Niall Horan - This Town (2017), Original Rude Boys (no idea), Picture This (no idea), Kodaline -High Hopes (2013), The Script - For the first time (2011), Superheroes (2012), Nathan carter - Wagon Wheel (2012), Eurovision entries

Music I could see featuring (and of course they'll feature popular commercial music before the music hipsters/snobs start :p ...) -

2010: katy Perry - firework/Teenage Dream, Travie McCoy - billionaire, Train - hey Soul Sister, Mumford and Sons - the Cave, OneRepublic - Stop and Stare, Rihanna - only girl in the world

2011: Maroon 5 - Moves like Jagger, Jessie J - Price Tag, One Direction - What makes you beautiful, Pitbull - give me everything, Ed Sheeran - A Team, Adele - rolling in the deep, Party Rock Anthem

2012: Snow Patrol - this isn't everything you are, Will-I-Am - Feel the love, Calvin Harris/Florence and the Machine - Spectrum, Gotye - Somebody that I used to know, Carly rae jepsen - Call me Maybe, Fun - we are young, Lorren - Euphoria

2013: Macklemore - One Love, Passenger - Let her go, Daft Punk - Get Lucky, Aviccii - Don't wake me up, One Republic - Counting Stars, OneDirection - Story of my life, Kesha/Pitbull - Timber

2014: Meghan Trainor - All about that bass, Pharrell - happy, Ed Sheeran - Sing, Coldplay - Magic, Clean Bandit - rather be, Robin Schulz - Prayer in C, Taylor Swift - Shake it off

2015: Kygo - Firestone, Omi - Cheerleader, Maroon 5 - Sugar, Charlie Puth - see you again, Adele - Hello, Ellie Goulding - love me like you do, Justin Bieber - Sorry

2016: Lukas Graham - 20 years, Rihanna/calvin Harris - this is what you came for, DNCE - Cake by the Ocean, Drake - Hotline Bling, Cheap Thrills - Sia, Zara Larsson - Lush Life, Fifth Harmony - Work from Home

2017: Despacito, Ed Sheeran - Shape of You/Galway Girl, Symphony - Clean bandit, Coldplay - something just like this, Shawn mendez - nothing holding me back, Calvin Harris - feels

2018: George Ezra - Shotgun, Dua Lipa - One Kiss, no idea what else

2019: No idea

Yeah it gets depressing as the decade goes on :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

the British royal weddings have always got a mention.

Demise of Cleary's and Boyer's department stores. Something died in me with their passing.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Paris/Nice attacks for 2015 & 2016 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,029 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/show/1535

They made there own version of the 10s but as said earlier didnt have that reeling in the years charm

All the untimely deaths of 2016

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Nobody mentioned Seamus Heaney dying ya philistines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Natural disasters in Haiti 2010 and in Japan and in New Zealand 2011. Funerals of former Taoisigh Garret Fitzgerald , Albert Reynolds and Liam Cosgrave.

The usual obligatory Late Late Show clips.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

What I'll remember most is Prince dying, Ebola in Congo, Haiti earthquake, Trump's election, Brexit and the offbeat shenanigans of Jimmy Savile and Kim Jong Un.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The death of John Reynolds, Irish Festival entrepreneur.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,029 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We all knw that the 10s wont have the quite moments when u assume 'what did the IRA do now'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Brooklyns got a winning team.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Famous murder/trials from the 2010's.
    Patrick Quirke murdered Bobby Ryan in Tipperary in 2011 and concealed his body until 2013 and was found guilty of murder in 2019.

Graham Dwyer murdered Elaine O' Hara in 2012 in the Dublin mountains and he was found guilty of murder in 2015.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned Seamus Heaney dying ya philistines.
    What’s a philistine ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Joe Duffy going after other religions like he does the Catholics in late 2019;);):D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    What I'll remember most is Prince dying, Ebola in Congo, Haiti earthquake, Trump's election, Brexit and the offbeat shenanigans of Jimmy Savile and Kim Jong Un.

But they are international stories, some may get a mention but they focus of the program is Irish events.

I wouldn't expect to see Saville featuring.

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »
    What’s a philistine ?

A person who doesn't appreciate good culture when he sees it

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

But they are international stories, some may get a mention but they focus of the program is Irish events.

I wouldn't expect to see Saville featuring.

The Jimmy Savile scandal and the associated Operation Yewtree were one of he biggest stories in the UK this decade so it could feature in some way.

Other things that could get a feature;
    The brutal murder of Jastine Valdez in Wicklow in 2018.
    UK Royal Weddings - Will & Kate 2011, Harry & Meghan 2018
    The Queen's Diamond Jubilee 2012
    The Migration Crisis
    Syrian Civil War
    Greek Economic Crisis
    The Ana Kriegal murder 2018 and trial 2019 - Ireland's Jamie Bulger moment
    Regency Hotel murder 2016 - Clips of it went global
    Homeless crisis
    Creche Scandal - 2019 Prime Time Investigates
    Tuam Babies
    Irish Women's Hockey team reaching WC Final
    Grenfell Tower Fire 2017

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We all knw that the 10s wont have the quite moments when u assume 'what did the IRA do now'

That was also the case in the 2000 - 2009 decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The appeal of Reeling in the Years when it first came out for me was the nostalgia element. (well, before they kept repeating the same episodes every 6 months). Does anyone feel the 10s are too recent to enjoy that nostalgia effect? Watching clips about the Brexit vote or Trump election would be like watching current affairs rather than yesteryear reminiscing...

I think they should wait 10 years before issuing a retrospective (eg maybe Reeling in the 00s would have merit now...)

ongarboy wrote: »
    The appeal of Reeling in the Years when it first came out for me was the nostalgia element. (well, before they kept repeating the same episodes every 6 months). Does anyone feel the 10s are too recent to enjoy that nostalgia effect? Watching clips about the Brexit vote or Trump election would be like watching current affairs rather than yesteryear reminiscing...

I think they should wait 10 years before issuing a retrospective (eg maybe Reeling in the 00s would have merit now...)

Actually that was only really true for the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s series. The 1990s and 2000s series were both originally aired a few months after the end of those decades. As I remember, a lot of people had the same opinions as you back then too.

The Jimmy Savile scandal and the associated Operation Yewtree were one of he biggest stories in the UK this decade so it could feature in some way.

Other things that could get a feature;
    The brutal murder of Jastine Valdez in Wicklow in 2018.
    UK Royal Weddings - Will & Kate 2011, Harry & Meghan 2018
    The Queen's Diamond Jubilee 2012
    The Migration Crisis
    Syrian Civil War
    Greek Economic Crisis
    The Ana Kriegal murder 2018 and trial 2019 - Ireland's Jamie Bulger moment
    Regency Hotel murder 2016 - Clips of it went global
    Homeless crisis
    Creche Scandal - 2019 Prime Time Investigates
    Tuam Babies
    Irish Women's Hockey team reaching WC Final
    Grenfell Tower Fire 2017

I'd doubt they'll cover the murders of teenagers tbh

They didn't do Robert Holohan in the 00s from what I remember

Missing people would be different, as it will actually raise awareness. They did cover Madeleine McCann in the 00s and not the Soham Murders, which although not Irish was an absolutely massive international story

Release of Malcolm Mac Aurthur, murderer of nurse bridy gargan in phoenix Park.

jr86 wrote: »
    I'd doubt they'll cover the murders of teenagers tbh

They didn't do Robert Holohan in the 00s from what I remember

Missing people would be different, as it will actually raise awareness. They did cover Madeleine McCann in the 00s and not the Soham Murders, which although not Irish was an absolutely massive international story

Actually the have covered the murders/violent deaths of children in previous editions - Jamie Bulger in 1993, The Quinn Brothers in 1998 (They were burned to death by loyalists who set fire to their house), the two young boys who died in the Warrington bombing of 1993, The Moors Murder trial 1965 etc. so they could feature Ana Kriegel and Jastine Valdez's murders

Actually the have covered the murders/violent deaths of children in previous editions - Jamie Bulger in 1993, The Quinn Brothers in 1998 (They were burned to death by loyalists who set fire to their house), the two young boys who died in the Warrington bombing of 1993, The Moors Murder trial 1965 etc. so they could feature Ana Kriegel and Jastine Valdez's murders

Yes but they were more in relation to the overall context of bombings and the Troubles than random one-off murders

the Jamie Bulger story will always be an exception, it was one of the biggest international stories in history and basically everyone on the street will still have a recollection of it.

I hope out of respect for the families and friends they don't show the likes of Karen Buckley and Ana Kriegel stories, where they may see footage of their loved one potentially years down the line when they're relaxing on a sunday evening

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Yes but they were more in relation to the overall context of bombings and the Troubles than random one-off murders

the Jamie Bulger story will always be an exception, it was one of the biggest international stories in history and basically everyone on the street will still have a recollection of it.

I hope out of respect for the families and friends they don't show the likes of Karen Buckley and Ana Kriegel stories, where they may see footage of their loved one potentially years down the line when they're relaxing on a sunday evening

They were massive stories though but we'll have to wait and see what they cover.

Advertisement