Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes, it's a footpath, not a purpose built greenway as you claimed.

The Great Southern Trail was/is the first purpose built greenway in Ireland.

Neither were even called that back then. The term greenway didn't even exist. Footpath, trail, walkway whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Neither were even called that back then. The term greenway didn't even exist. Footpath, trail, walkway whatever.

The Great Southern trail was created by volunteers for the greater good.
    Their work has inspired all of the subsequent greenways.

I think it's important those people get the recognition they deserve.

Baldoyle to Portmarnock greenway opened

Only 1.8km but every little helps

https://www.irishbuildingmagazine.ie/2020/06/12/e2-5m-baldoyle-to-portmarnock-greenway-opened/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Baldoyle to Portmarnock greenway opened

Only 1.8km but every little helps

https://www.irishbuildingmagazine.ie/2020/06/12/e2-5m-baldoyle-to-portmarnock-greenway-opened/

This literally cost 2m to build. The development was a ****show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this literally cost as much as five or six - or maybe even eight - houses to build. it's a scandal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

this literally cost as much as five or six - or maybe even eight - houses to build. it's a scandal.

And they ruined the racecourse. It felt like you were in the country, now it's so busy. I hate fingal County council.

The new Co opted councilors are useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

That bit of greenway is a godsend. That stretch of road is one of the scariest I had to cycle on a regular basis, constant close overtakes at high speed.

I no longer live in the area and am very resentful it wasn't completed before I moved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

This literally cost 2m to build.
    Whenever I hear a figure like that, for what seems like a small amount of road or Greenway, I wonder what could have led to it.

Often, of course, there's a lot more going on then just "shlappin' a bit o' concrete" down.

In this project, you can see that there's a fair amount of pipe-laying happening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

As someone posted in the Waterford forum, work is starting on the Kilmeaden link on the Waterford Greenway

https://twitter.com/Briankenny9/status/1272469397416955904

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

How is that a scandal?
    And they ruined the racecourse. It felt like you were in the country, now it's so busy. I hate fingal County council.

The new Co opted councilors are useless.

Very cranky altogether. I'm sure the occasional cyclist going along it isn't making it feel "so busy".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Work has restarted on the Old Railway trail in Athlone, final mile or so the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It seems like there are enough cheese towns connected to, or with the potential to connect to, greenways that they could make a branded cheese cycling tour :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

MJohnston wrote: »
    It seems like there are enough cheese towns connected to, or with the potential to connect to, greenways that they could make a branded cheese cycling tour :pac:

Mogeely coming soon ... ( Has 2 cheese factories),

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MJohnston wrote: »

If there's any distilleries around there, then we could have an Irish Greenway version of the Bordeaux marathon, 26 miles, 23 glasses of wine, loads of cheese.

CatInABox wrote: »
    If there's any distilleries around there, then we could have an Irish Greenway version of the Bordeaux marathon, 26 miles, 23 glasses of wine, loads of cheese.

Not to mind that cycling drunk is actually illegal here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not to mind that cycling drunk is actually illegal here.

You can walk/run on greenways too, and legally while drunk. Although, 23 glasses of whiskey is probably a bit too much, even if it's spaced over 6/7 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

James May and Oz Clarke cycle Ireland, I can't wait! :D

Include a few micro breweries .... Start at either cobh or crosshaven heading for youghal .. ( cork cc have a plan for cork city to carrigtohil ) might have to wait a bit for carrigtohil to midleton ,
    There's no shortage of small breweries in cork city , distillery in midleton ,think there's a brewery in youghal , matched with carrigaline cheese . Hegartys cheese (6 miles from city but hey ).. ardsallagh in carrigtohil ,balinrostig (near midleton ) , mogeely (cheese factory is on the line ) , might have to include a few fermoy cheeses for youghal but it'd be a grand day trip ... Probably wouldn't set any speed records though ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It's only about 60 km ,from crosshaven to youghal ,
    If they ever get round to connecting youghal to dungarvan ,it could be a proper cycle and a proper piss up ... The Carnage arriving in Waterford after a drink every 10 or 15 miles...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I see there is mention in the new programme for government for a walking route between Malin Head in Donegal and Kinsale in Cork. I presume this will use the existing greenway routes, the Western Way route and some of the new greenway routes to be developed.

I would think a lot of the quiet country roads would be used for the rest of it. It is not a bad idea.

This would probably be more targeted at individual walkers/groups rather than families.
    The potential for a walking route around the entire country looks possible.

• Advertisement

I would think a lot of the quiet country roads would be used for the rest of it. It is not a bad idea.

While those roads may have lower traffic levels they are lethal to walk or cycle on with the way many locals drive on them

While those roads may have lower traffic levels they are lethal to walk or cycle on with the way many locals drive on them

Ya fair point. Though I don't think there is an alternative to the country roads in some areas where there is no train line present. Doubtful that they will acquire land as it is expensive.

On another note the cost of the Cahersiveen greenway has raised worries over the long term costs of future greenways. There was an article in one of the papers that stated paying farmers to acquire the land (that was originally in the hands of the CIE) plus engineering challenges has increased the cost significantly.

Saying that this greenway is meant to be the blueprint in terms of trail surface, junctions, crossings etc so it will probably need little extra to be done to it once it has opened.

There are still works ongoing on the Mayo Greenway and road crossings to be dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Ya fair point. Though I don't think there is an alternative to the country roads in some areas where there is no train line present. Doubtful that they will acquire land as it is expensive.

On another note the cost of the Cahersiveen greenway has raised worries over the long term costs of future greenways. There was an article in one of the papers that stated paying farmers to acquire the land (that was originally in the hands of the CIE) plus engineering challenges has increased the cost significantly.

Saying that this greenway is meant to be the blueprint in terms of trail surface, junctions, crossings etc so it will probably need little extra to be done to it once it has opened.

There are still works ongoing on the Mayo Greenway and road crossings to be dealt with.

The Barnagh tunnel extension on the Great Southern Greenway cost almost 1 million for a 1km dead-end.

Approx 20 million for a brand new 32km greenway is still great value, and it will never be cheaper than now to build...

The Barnagh tunnel extension on the Great Southern Greenway cost almost 1 million for a 1km dead-end.

Approx 20 million for a brand new 32km greenway is still great value, and it will never be cheaper than now to build...

Council defends ineptitude. 4.7m now over 20 million. Bargain.

https://www.radiokerry.ie/council-defends-escalating-costs-proposed-south-kerry-greenway/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

New 128km Irish greenway through three counties just given green light
    A significant new greenway through the west of the Republic has been given the green light after being included in a major new economic plan to develop the north west region.

The 128km Athenry to Sligo Greenway, which is also known as the ‘Western Rail Trail’, takes in counties Galway, Mayo and Sligo.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-greenway-through-three-counties-gets-green-light/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

New 128km Irish greenway through three counties just given green light
    A significant new greenway through the west of the Republic has been given the green light after being included in a major new economic plan to develop the north west region.

The 128km Athenry to Sligo Greenway, which is also known as the ‘Western Rail Trail’, takes in counties Galway, Mayo and Sligo.
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-greenway-through-three-counties-gets-green-light/

Not quite. If you actually read the document there are specific policy objectives in support of the railway;

See RPO 6.13 of the strategy;

(A) “It shall be an objective to deliver the Athenry-Tuam-Claremorris-Sligo rail to an appropriate level of service and to a standard capable of facilitating passenger and freight transport”
    (B) “It shall be an objective to progress through pre-appraisal and early planning the extension of the railway from Athenry-Tuam-Claremorris-Sligo”

And RPO 6.16:

“Investigate the feasibility of extending the rail network to the North West City Region (Letterkenny/Derry/Strabane) from Sligo and Dublin”

So in fact greenways cannot be located on any part of the Western Rail Corridor, despite the misleading claims made by Ciaran Cannon yesterday. That doesn’t mean the so-called Quiet Man Greenway can’t happen, it has to be on an alternative route, well away from the operational railway...

I can't see any railways being extended unless outside money comes in for them from Europe.
    The greenways are being backed by Europe as some of them form part of the Eurovelo routes plus they would benefit from rural development grants.

Interesting that a greenway route around the north west coast of Mayo is on a EuroVelo route and so is likely to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

I can't see any railways being extended unless outside money comes in for them from Europe.
    The greenways are being backed by Europe as some of them form part of the Eurovelo routes plus they would benefit from rural development grants.

Interesting that a greenway route around the north west coast of Mayo is on a EuroVelo route and so is likely to happen.

Of course Ciaran Cannon put a stop to a EuroVelo route from Athlone to Galway as he was more interested in protecting Land Owners than giving cyclists a decent route across the country.

Sligo eye wrote: »
    Of course Ciaran Cannon put a stop to a EuroVelo route from Athlone to Galway as he was more interested in protecting Land Owners than giving cyclists a decent route across the country.

You mean the Euro Velo route that has been constructed as far as Athlone, is being extended across the Shannon and which the remaining section to Galway is undergoing design at the moment with public consultations due to start in 2021?

That Euro velo route?

• Advertisement

Sligo eye wrote: »
    Not quite. If you actually read the document there are specific policy objectives in support of the railway;

See RPO 6.13 of the strategy;

(A) “It shall be an objective to deliver the Athenry-Tuam-Claremorris-Sligo rail to an appropriate level of service and to a standard capable of facilitating passenger and freight transport”
    (B) “It shall be an objective to progress through pre-appraisal and early planning the extension of the railway from Athenry-Tuam-Claremorris-Sligo”

And RPO 6.16:

“Investigate the feasibility of extending the rail network to the North West City Region (Letterkenny/Derry/Strabane) from Sligo and Dublin”

So in fact greenways cannot be located on any part of the Western Rail Corridor, despite the misleading claims made by Ciaran Cannon yesterday. That doesn’t mean the so-called Quiet Man Greenway can’t happen, it has to be on an alternative route, well away from the operational railway...

You left out a lot of important information but rather than make you look silly on 2 threads might I suggest we continue this on the WRT thread on the C&T forum.

Advertisement