Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

i dont get why everyone has to have a conversation about everything these days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Oh specifically related to Christmas...

Christmas Eve boxes. When the f**k did that become a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Influencers...and the morons who religiously follow them/obsess over these twits

Ditto social media comedians, can any of them form more than one joke instead of beating the same one over and over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

All the fooking hassle over Christmas parties in work.

Lads resting their foot on their knee when they're sitting down. What a strange and uncomfortable thing to do with your leg.

Handkerchiefs, great, I'll just carry this snot rag around with me all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

That song Old Town Road,its awful.

• Advertisement

Weddings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Weddings
    Christ yes, especially Irish weddings. Nothing as cringy.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Shellac..

30 quid to glue a piece of coloured plastic on your finger nail and the places are full

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Digital music costing as much or almost as much as a CD. There's a new 5 CD boxset of 1999 by Prince. I was looking at the price of it a couple of days ago. It's something like €65 for the 5 CDs. It costs just €10 less to buy the mp3 files. That's absolute fucking madness.

Don't quote me on this but it could be to do with Royalties,but agree it does seem like madness:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

People who even consider buying CD's or MP3's for a tenner less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

"So why are people spending 10 times more on such a basic tool? Oh it can load a Web page 0.0000000007 nano seconds faster? Wow! It has multiple lens to take a picture? Phwooar!"

Because of brand power and supposed status symbols.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Electricity measurements. Ohms, Amps, Watts, Volts, Amp/hrs, kWh etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Extra frustrating thing is, that there is so much of it which indicates a significant potion of the population are contributing to it. At least 10% I'd say.

There was a video going around WhatsApp recently of a guy driving a 19 Reg jeep dumping a mattress in a scenic area by the side of the road in roscommon.
    Tight miserable bastard didn't want to pay for it to be disposed of properly.
    It's people doing it that you would least expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

"So why are people spending 10 times more on such a basic tool? Oh it can load a Web page 0.0000000007 nano seconds faster? Wow! It has multiple lens to take a picture? Phwooar!"

Because of brand power and supposed status symbols.

This is for you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gwlQlMLbk

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Shellac..

30 quid to glue a piece of coloured plastic on your finger nail and the places are full

That's not what shellac is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Steve F wrote: »

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

abff wrote: »
    What I don't get is people expressing opinions on the internet and thinking that by putting the word FACT in all capitals, it makes their opinion inviolate and above any form of challenge.

Good man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

cjmc wrote: »
    To answer the OP
    The ride. I used to get it , but now ? Maybe its old age :(

I dont get it as I'm pig ugly...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Grown ups who like Anime, My Little Pony, Furries, Pokemon, Digimon and Harry Potter

Compared to the people who watch 22 millionaires kick inflated leather around for the peasants amusement? I'll take my anime and Harry Potter any day, thanks! And Furries can be kinky! (I agree with the Bronies though...)

I'm also one for having a top end phone. I fell into the trap years ago when I followed trends, and haven't been able to go back to anything buy a flagship since, it's too much of a step down. Granted, I'm getting years out of the phones now, instead of the annual upgrade I used to do.

If I had the disposable income, I'd have that €10k tv that rolls out of a box. Savage cabbage! Same if I could afford it, I'd be driving a brand new Merc every year. I don't think people understand how much better Mercs are. It's not just a badge!

Fashion: Just don't get it. The really rich people who 'design' the clothes are the same people who are telling you what the next fashion is. People breaking the bank to have the latest Armani, or Gucci. My best mates sister is obsessed with shoes, and has a pair of Loobooton (feck knows how to spell that) where the material covering the top goes all around the bottom, so wearing them will rip them... She paid €2k to look at them.

"Modern" Art: I understand and appreciate the art from back in the day, architecture, paintings, statues, etc. I don't get someone taping a banana to a wall with duct tape, or someone creating "paintings" by ingesting paint up his hole and farting onto a canvas. Or that big picture that was just a blue square selling for scandalous money... Just don't get it.

Some music "Artists": Tools like Takeshi Six Nine and all those other fools who plaster their face with tattoos, or gold teeth, chains, etc. White people trying to be black really.

Each to their own and all that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

All the fooking hassle over Christmas parties in work.

Lads resting their foot on their knee when they're sitting down. What a strange and uncomfortable thing to do with your leg.

Handkerchiefs, great, I'll just carry this snot rag around with me all day.

This seems to be an epidemic. It's also pretty selfish because it takes up loads of space and means they're likely to touch the bottom of their shoe off someone next to them if in a crowded space or public transport. Ended up with a dirty shoeprint on my jeans from some ignorant sh1te doing this on the Luas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Vinyl

Where was this craze 10 years ago? It's become quite big and people spending time hunting for that "gem" in the street markets. Are they making profits out buying and selling, fair play I guess if they know what to look for

Does it truly sound better or is that in your imagination?

Music for vinyl has to be mastered differently with more dynamic range than for CDs etc. For CD mastering, everything can be loud and it doesn't matter to the laser, but with vinyl if everything is loud then the needle will slip out of the groove. People claim that vinyl sounds better mostly because of this.

Alternatively, vinyl is more analogue and has a warmer sound. Not necessarily more accurate just warmer.

That being said, I'm not on the vinyl bandwagon, just a little on the audiophile/high res one. With slightly higher end equipment (no need to spend thousands), you can hear the difference in my opinion, especially verses low quality streams/MP3s and cheap headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

B0jangles wrote: »
    Those pod coffee machines

what the hell are they about? - like, why would you spend a fortune on a machine so's you can spend a fortune on little pots of crap coffee? Little pots that are apparently a pain in the ass to recycle.

Buy decent beans, a grinder and an aeropress.

There, now you have good coffee and you're not knee-deep in stupid little pots!

Thank you for posting this. These things are the biggest con job going. A bag of decent ground coffee costs about €5 and all that's all that's in those pods and you get fcuk all coffee from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

B0jangles wrote: »
    Coffee

like, why would you spend a fortune on coffee? !

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Alternatively, vinyl is more analogue and has a warmer sound. Not necessarily more accurate just warmer.

Although I've heard it said that reissues and new albums on vinyl are mastered digitally and aren't as 'good' as older originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

watching football on tv. Paying for football packages and pay per view. All matches are very similar. Would be better to go out and kick a ball yourself. players having the last laugh with their extortionate wages. And im a male having grown up watching football on tv. not anymore. going to games with your mates and having a few drinks is social. suppose if you did the football on tv with a group watching it together that would be okay. i seem to have forgotten my point and i think im suddenly "getting it"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Music for vinyl has to be mastered differently with more dynamic range than for CDs etc. For CD mastering, everything can be loud and it doesn't matter to the laser, but with vinyl if everything is loud then the needle will slip out of the groove. People claim that vinyl sounds better mostly because of this.

That being said, I'm not on the vinyl bandwagon, just a little on the audiophile/high res one. With slightly higher end equipment (no need to spend thousands), you can hear the difference in my opinion, especially verses low quality streams/MP3s and cheap headphones.

To get hifi quality on Vinyl, it starts in the recording studio. It's too late in the mastering studio if you're thinking about vinyl production after the tracks have been recorded and mixed digitally.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

beejee wrote: »
    Tis the season and all that, people buying presents and all the shopping on overkill.

Wandering around a few shops yesterday it struck me that there are some very popular items/things that I just "don't get". I don't understand the popularity.

I could name loads of things, but I'll stick to two: phones and televisions.

Phones... Madness to me. 500 and 600 and 700 plus quid for a phone. For what?!

I'll buy myself a phone for around 100 quid, job done for years. It will take good pictures, good videos, loads of storage, use the Internet. Job done.

So why are people spending 10 times more on such a basic tool? Oh it can load a Web page 0.0000000007 nano seconds faster? Wow! It has multiple lens to take a picture? Phwooar!

Nah, just don't get it. Whatsoever.

Televisions are the same to me. Big television, very nice.

Spend an extra thousand quid to go from "4k" to "8k"? Crazy. I'm looking at the display televisions on shops, and I don't think I'd notice a difference even if I had a magnifying glass.

I just don't get it.

I understand paying more for a couple extra features, but literally multiples of the price? Nah, it's barking mad.

What don't ye "get" over the silly season? Or are you barking mad too? Woof!

We get it. Youre an old man who doesnt know what AMOLED, 4k, 120 fps, wide focal length, CMOS sensor, 60hz, HDR, telephoto lens, 5g, A12 bionic processor, flash memory, depth of field, color science etc etc etc means.

Great. Stick to your 120 euro burner. The rest will want the best. As an engineer, high end phones processor and 4k photos improve the workflow of my entire team. We can share issues and solutions right away. I bet you still use fax for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

callaway92 wrote: »
    Good man

Is that the best you can come up with?

If you could provide some evidence to back your assertion, I'd be more than happy to consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

For me, it's music. I couldn't tell you the last album I intentionally listened to, but it must be at least 5 to 10 years ago. Just giving it a go like. The last concert I was at was RHCP in 2003 (bought as a gift). I've listened to all sorts of things but just don't get it. I often have the radio on at home or in the car, but it's always talk stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    Thank you for posting this. These things are the biggest con job going. A bag of decent ground coffee costs about €5 and all that's all that's in those pods and you get fcuk all coffee from them.

Not to mention the environmental impact.

Advertisement