Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Football: Multimillionaires kicking around a ball for seemingly hours for a nil-all draw. Just never saw the attraction.
    Breaking Bad: Just couldn't get into it. Got 1/2 way through season 2.

Pretty much - the majority anyway - of "woke culture". I really get almost none of it - especially as the sources of it tend to be from people or cohorts or areas I would otherwise mostly be in political and social alignment with.

People who consistently make an average of 35-40 posts per day on boards for months on end.

Being upset when people do simple things like hold hands in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

sk8erboii wrote: »
    We get it. Youre an old man who doesnt know what AMOLED, 4k, 120 fps, wide focal length, CMOS sensor, 60hz, HDR, telephoto lens, 5g, A12 bionic processor, flash memory, depth of field, color science etc etc etc means.

Great. Stick to your 120 euro burner. The rest will want the best. As an engineer, high end phones processor and 4k photos improve the workflow of my entire team. We can share issues and solutions right away. I bet you still use fax for this.

Whether I'm 25 or 75, gobbledygook remains gobbledygook. Taking money from people like you truly is like taking sweets from a baby.

Robbed blind every day of the week I imagine :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm clearly past it because there's a whole heap of **** I don't get!
    • The trend amongst young women for drawing ridiculous thick black eyebrows on themselves.
    • "Influencer" culture - I get why they do it, I get why some marketing people will pay them, I just don't get why anyone would pay any attention to them.
    • Yankee Candles - again, I get that a lit candle can add a bit of atmosphere to a room, I just don't see why it has to be one that costs €30 and smells of cheap air freshener.
    • Reality TV that just films famous people living their faux "real" lives (e.g. the Kardashians, or the Osbournes before them). What's interesting about watching the gross consumption and petty drama of simpletons with too much money?
    • Gender identity - I can get my head around someone feeling like they were born into the wrong body and wanting to transition and have no problem referring to someone by their preferred gender pronouns etc. but I simply can't get my head around the whole "gender fluid" nonsense or the shrieking offence expressed by some transsexual activists when others express a distinction in their sexual preference for those born into the gender they present as or when a business can't offer them the same services (e.g. the moron who sued when a bikini waxing business refused to wax her testicles)
    • Society's tolerance for modern feminism in the developed world. Stop giving these female supremacists the oxygen of publicity!
    • Haute Couture Fashion / High End Brands - again, I can understand paying a premium price for a premium product that's of demonstrably better quality but I can't abide the nonsense that a Tommy Hilfiger / Gucci / Ted Baker shirt of comparable quality to one sold by Marks and Spencer's is worth three or four times the price. The practice of spending thousands of euro on a handbag because it has a fashionable brand stamped on the leather or on a pair of high heeled shoes because they have a red sole is downright vulgar imo
    • Irish people that obsessively follow English football teams. Sport is a tribal thing: support your local team. If ye all did it, they might actually get decent.
    • Fake tan. You look orange, your hands look like you've wiped your arse with them, no one believes it's a natural tan and you'd look far better without it.
    • Why some young lads believe it's acceptable to walk around in public with their hand down their jocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

sk8erboii wrote: »
    We get it. Youre an old man who doesnt know what AMOLED, 4k, 120 fps, wide focal length, CMOS sensor, 60hz, HDR, telephoto lens, 5g, A12 bionic processor, flash memory, depth of field, color science etc etc etc means.

Great. Stick to your 120 euro burner. The rest will want the best. As an engineer, high end phones processor and 4k photos improve the workflow of my entire team. We can share issues and solutions right away. I bet you still use fax for this.

I couldn't give a rats ass about that shyte or your office buzzword bingo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Mrs Browns Boys

Cannot for the life of me see why people enjoy it and you just know over Christmas it will be run and rerun.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

I don't get

any presents for Christmas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

vriesmays wrote: »
    Closing the peat industry to help combat climate change when that volocano in New Zealand emits more toxic fumes than from burning all our bogs.

We should close the volcanoes instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

This thread is made for Mr Fegelien.

Can someone reach out?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Christ yes, especially Irish weddings. Nothing as cringy.

Irish fooking Christmas weddings, what the fook is all that about Christmas is fooking expensive enough for fook sake.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

National pride for no reason ,
    Not one of us had a choice where we where born it's pot luck ,
    So this bollox of I'm proud to be Irish because I was simply born here is a load of my *ock,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

Christ yes, especially Irish weddings. Nothing as cringy.

Even more annoying since social media came along with people trying to outdo their friends and family with the ultimate original wedding photo. In black and white obviously.

And related to that, why the hell in the year 2019 do women still change their name after getting married? And again related to that, if they do change their name why can't they use ONE BLOODY NAME? Me at work: ''And whats your name? Oh let me see what name did I use for this??'' ARRRGHHHH!

Ok i have the flu

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

K-Pop and it's aggressively mental fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

People who like Cats. They are vile creatures.

Acosta wrote: »
    Even more annoying since social media came along with people trying to outdo their friends and family with the ultimate original wedding photo. In black and white obviously.

And related to that, why the hell in the year 2019 do women still change their name after getting married? And again related to that, if they do change their name why can't they use ONE BLOODY NAME? Me at work: ''And whats your name? Oh let me see what name did I use for this??'' ARRRGHHHH!

Ok i have the flu

Bear in mind that if children arrive then they will 99.999% take the father's surname. You have a situation where 'some' mothers/wives would rather keep all the surnames the same so take the husband's surname. I have met women who gave that reason- their kids started asking questions as to why they have a different surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lip fillers . I don’t get the big pouty lips that celebrities all get . Do they not get that they all look the same and so silly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Reality tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Acosta

Bear in mind that if children arrive then they will 99.999% take the father's surname. You have a situation where 'some' mothers/wives would rather keep all the surnames the same so take the husband's surname. I have met women who gave that reason- their kids started asking questions as to why they have a different surname.

A simple explanation to the child will solve that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

vriesmays wrote: »
    Closing the peat industry to help combat climate change when that volocano in New Zealand emits more toxic fumes than from burning all our bogs.

One of these things we can affect to make some change, the other, we can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

This week it has to be people !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

The x-factor. How is that still going if it's not been cancelled yet.

People who do not agree with me and share my world views 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Wrestling.
    Nothing against it. Vince McMahon was a smart man. Glee was great fun. Happy that Irish wrestlers do well in it. I just never got it.

Nine Inch Nails.
    Trent Reznor's scores are great and he seems bang on. Could never get into his NIN stuff though I'm sure it's great, it's not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Acosta wrote: »
    A simple explanation to the child will solve that issue.

It's not so big a deal until you think even remotely ahead.

Mrs Townshend marries Mr. Klopp

Child becomes Mrs Townshend-klopp

Mrs Townshend-Kopp marries Mr. Bilfred-Barley.

Child becomes Mrs townshend-Klopp-Bilfred-Barley.

"why is my grandfather's name bilfred-townshend-klopp?"

"very simple, little chiseler, one person decided to drop one name and hyphenated another while adding one extra. By the way, good luck explaining this mess to your children. "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Christmas Markets here.

Last one I was at sold retro junk with light bulbs screwed into them, bits of trees roughly cobbled together to form reindeer and Santas, the obligatory scented candles and crafts I could make better myself. All overpriced for what they were.

Who buys this crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Tell us more!

Oops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Fake lips
    A lot of 'parenting' stuff but can't list them or their proponents will derail the thread
    Restaurants where you have to queue to order but someone is hired to come to your table with it... could you not just take the flipping order

• Registered Users Posts: 16,761 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Non religious people who are very "spiritual" people !

It's meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

-Fake tan
    -Small talk for the sake of it with people you dislike
    -The fear so many people have of deviating from social norms even if sticking to them makes them unhappy
    -People who cannot do anything alone, ever, or make a big deal about doing something alone, e.g. "I went on holidays on my own!" or "I went to the cinema alone!". Congrats, you've joined the big girls and big boys club. Woo.
    -The inability to empathise
    -The mental health bandwagon every single ****er who's ever had a "bad day" has jumped on, but who wouldn't have a clue what to do if faced with genuine mental health difficulties.
    -IG influencers turning themselves into life coaches. Go away.
    -Wine. Nope. Ew.
    -3rd wave feminists. Also go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Non religious people who are very "spiritual" people !

It's meaningless.

Not sure I see your point. There are so many different religions out there with different gods, most of them claiming to be the 'one true faith'. Obviously, they can't all be right. It's far more likely that they're all wrong.

But if someone believes that there is some form of 'higher being', but can't figure out which particular religion is the correct one, why shouldn't they be spiritual without adhering to a particular religion?

Advertisement