Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Stadia

Comments

Cordell wrote: »
    For most people lag will not be worse than the video input lag of their tv. They are already accustomed to 30 fps laggy gaming, so this will be actually an improvement.
    For the PCMR, this may be the end, the final nail in the coffin.

TV Game mode, stopping screen processing, does a lot for that TV lag.
    Even Fifa players will get frustrated with too much lag, and I just mean guys who play against their friends and not competition style.

Final nail in the coffin? PC gaming is stronger than ever. Personally, game streaming services do not appeal to me and i hope this will be a flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Cordell

Just to make sure, I'm making a point against Stadia :)
    PC gaming is not stronger than ever, it used to be the primary platform, now it's the 3rd. Let's hope that this does not push it further down.

But 'final nail in coffin'? Gwan outta that.

Anyway, i can't see this taking off at all.

Alright please excuse my slip you fellow PCMR gamers :) I'm just worried that if streaming games will take off they will further displace resources and push PC gaming further out. We are already getting AAA games poorly ported for PC, I don't want more of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

All I can imagine is ads between cut scenes and at the end of levels.

Maybe even a Burger King sticker on a colonial marines arm. :D

What's going to hold this back is the latency issues as was mentioned before unless you have amazing b/band speeds which let's face it, the average joe soap is not going to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I think there's a lot to be said for people who find out that all they need to play the latest AAA titles is their crummy laptop/chromebook and their brother's spare xbox controller!

There'll be a market for it!

I have a custom built gaming PC and I'm even interested to find out how it works and if ease of use and real world configs will allow for low lag streaming.

Time will tell, it could be a missive pile, but I'm not willing to write off Google just yet :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm a former PC gamer who has had to put his Alienware desktop in the attic because of kids, I'll be getting this when it comes out, I'll put it with the Shield and never use it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm a former PC gamer who has had to put his Alienware desktop in the attic because of kids, I'll be getting this when it comes out, I'll put it with the Shield and never use it as well.

Probably should have put the kids in the attic :pac:

TitianGerm wrote: »

And feed them fish-heads

A Chromecast ultra and a Stadia controller can turn any HDMI ported TV into a potential high end console gaming machine!

I'm pretty excited anyway :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

TitianGerm wrote: »

Don't tempt me, I upgraded my G15 keyboard to a G19 so I could keep an eye on the baby cam while gaming, I tried everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Clareman wrote: »
    Don't tempt me, I upgraded my G15 keyboard to a G19 so I could keep an eye on the baby cam while gaming, I tried everything

Ha :pac: the worst I have to contend with is the dog coming up looking for attention when I'm gaming.... oh and herself when she's giving out :pac:

If this gets any kind of traction it will ruin the industry further.

• Advertisement

Don't get the negativity tbh. PC/Console gaming on tap through an app on your tv. Not even an app, just use your browser. What's not to like? If you don't have the broadband for it then obviously it's going to be too laggy, it's clearly for high speed broadband with low pings. So if you meet those requirements this is a great service, no? Worried about Google gathering your data? We are protected by GDPR, you can already go to their website and delete everything they have on you and it's not as if Steam, Microsoft, Sony etc aren't harvesting this information already.

Personally, I'm more excited for Xbox xcloud to compliment console hardware. For example being able to game in work or on holidays. Microsoft have been laying the foundations for while now it looks like a stronger proposition but as we all know competition is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Im excited and disappointed at the same time. Games via streaming just like my music/youtube (excitement) but i only have at best a 3mbps connection (disappointment).

I have EA Access but hardly use it due to my sh!t broadband. I keep it as my lads use the account. Crappy broadband and im only 5k from the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

I am intrigued by this and think it would be suitable for me. I am a relatively casual gamer nowadays and the type of games I play mostly are rpgs and strategy games so a small bit of lag won't kill my enjoyment of a game. If this launches and has a good range of titles I will probably go for it over buying one of the next generation consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

The country would need to see a roll out of Google Fibre, sure Galway is still on dial up :)

But more interesting here I think is the idea of "instances" of the console being hosted on the google servers - think about how that could make software utter redundant too. Apply the same technology to Photoshop where I patch in and run the programme on adobe's servers and it means I no longer need a beast of a laptop just to run Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Could be amazing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47810367

Something for the digital content age. Example of losing content based on the closure of a provider.
    Steam games are locally stored and playable offline (not sure if they can remove access to those too easily). Same with Origin I think, there was an issue with my client and when they repaired the account damage several games were now unavailable as EA did not hold them in the store anymore (they gave me credit or latter versions of the game series)

Now a streaming company? All purchased games on a streaming service (if it is purchase based) will be vulnerable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47810367

Something for the digital content age. Example of losing content based on the closure of a provider.
    Steam games are locally stored and playable offline (not sure if they can remove access to those too easily). Same with Origin I think, there was an issue with my client and when they repaired the account damage several games were now unavailable as EA did not hold them in the store anymore (they gave me credit or latter versions of the game series)

Now a streaming company? All purchased games on a streaming service (if it is purchase based) will be vulnerable

Hence why I try to buy all my games through GOG / Humble Bundle if possible - no DRM meaning actual backups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

LOL

I have:
    617 games on Steam
    34 Uplay
    42 Origin
    2 Blizzard thing
    2 Epic Store
    7 Gog
    Pretty sure I left one out.

If they went bang I know I will lose those games as I like others sure as fcuk dont have them installed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I heard it's using linux and vulkan on the back-end. Which means there's a functioning linux-native Assassin's Creed game that's been created and probably many other titles to come... that we'll never be able to purchase traditionally. But here's hoping it improve support of the tools for that kind of thing at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just checked my PC digital game count which currently stands at

Steam - 9348
    GOG - 213
    Origin - 62
    Battle.net - 4
    Epic - 8 (all the free games :D)
    Itch.io - 71
    Microsoft Store - 2
    Uplay - 49

There were a few older sites that I can't remember the names of that have now gone belly up but I managed to get my Steam keys out of , so it is scary to think if these places go down you're SOL
    edit: I remembered one of them - Indie Royale

Skerries wrote: »

Steam - 9348
    GOG - 213
    Origin - 62
    Battle.net - 4
    Itch.io - 71
    Microsoft Store - 2
    Uplay - 49

There were a few older sites that I can't remember the names of that have now gone belly up but I managed to get my Steam keys out of , so it is scary to think if these places go down you're SOL

The game I played and don't have an install for? I've gotten my use from them and, honestly, don't even want them showing in the list.
    Issue is that there are games where I still have the discs or installed that I always go back to at some stage.

Having no way of storing thee games is a dangerous place to be. Much like digital films, is it UltraViolent that is shutting down. If you don't get your library transferred over to another provider then Sucks To Be You.

Skerries wrote: »

Steam - 9348
    GOG - 213
    Origin - 62
    Battle.net - 4
    Itch.io - 71
    Microsoft Store - 2
    Uplay - 49

Are you a bot? :P

I heard it's using linux and vulkan on the back-end. Which means there's a functioning linux-native Assassin's Creed game that's been created and probably many other titles to come... that we'll never be able to purchase traditionally. But here's hoping it improve support of the tools for that kind of thing at least.

You can't assume either of those 2 - it does not need to be linux native nor vulkan native.

Cordell wrote: »
    You can't assume either of those 2 - it does not need to be linux native nor vulkan native.

Of course it doesn't need to - but it would benefit from and has already done so. It's pretty safe to assume it, I'd say.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Google-Stadia-Vulkan-Linux

A safer assumption will be that they will have a virtualization layer with a Linux/Vulkan backend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭jones

awec wrote: »
    25mb/s required for 1080p, which pretty much rules out most of rural Ireland.

And me :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

More leaked details courtesy of Jason Schreier:
    There will be a base subscription available when Stadia launches in November, for $11.99 Canadian per month. This one will give you access to some Stadia games at 4K resolution/60FPS.

Other games—newer ones, especially—you’ll have to buy.

In 2020, Google will launch a “Stadia Base” model that’s totally free, but only allows you to play games at 1080p resolution.

A pricey Stadia Founder’s Edition will be for sale this fall ($169 Canadian) that includes a Chromecast Ultra, a Stadia controller, a three-month subscription, and Destiny 2 (which, as Kotaku revealed yesterday, will be on the platform at launch).

Doom, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, the new Tomb Raider trilogy, and The Division 2 are also part of the Stadia launch lineup.

Minimum internet speed requirement is a 10mbps download/1mbps upload.

https://kotaku.com/google-stadia-pricing-leaks-will-have-both-subscriptio-1835294433

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Mr E wrote: »

Live stream up now, and it seems leak was accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,731 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looking forward to a new way to not play a bunch of AAA games I have little interest in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Unless this offers something i cant get anywhere else(google exclusive sounds weird:P)i dont see the point.

With the current drawback to streaming games i just dont see the point.

Maybe google can sort those problems givin their infastructure but thats a big if.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I pre-ordered the founders edition. I've had my eye on a Chromecast Ultra for a while now and it's actually a decent deal for what you're getting.

I have good internet - 300gb with Virgin and access to SIRO - so I'm not worried about the speed and I don't have a gaming PC anymore so if this means I can play in PC quality fidelity for a Netflix price, I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

The Founder Edition does seem like good value, but I am cursed with 4gb internet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

if anyone can finally crack game streaming it would be google, so i am actually a bit excited for this :)

I pre-ordered the founders edition. I've had my eye on a Chromecast Ultra for a while now and it's actually a decent deal for what you're getting.

I have good internet - 300gb with Virgin and access to SIRO - so I'm not worried about the speed and I don't have a gaming PC anymore so if this means I can play in PC quality fidelity for a Netflix price, I'm in.

Theres always going to be compression for streaming. It wont be original quality. Granted the stuff i saw still looked good.

• Advertisement

pricing seems reasonable enough also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

glasso wrote: »
    pricing seems reasonable enough also.

I dunno, 9.99 monthly sub + price of game + price of internet connection + cost of going over any download cap you might have + cost of controller and chromecast if you want to play on a TV, could add up to a fair bit of change per year!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Venom wrote: »
    I dunno, 9.99 monthly sub + price of game + price of internet connection + cost of going over any download cap you might have + cost of controller and chromecast if you want to play on a TV, could add up to a fair bit of change per year!

You only need to pay the monthly sub for 4k. For 1080p it's free. You have pay for the game and broadband anyways so no additional cost there. Most providers don't have caps now so for most people no change here either. You don't need a Chromecast for it so no extra charge there and I think you can use an Xbox or PS4 controller for it.

So, for 1080p you won't spend anything extra than you currently do to play a game.

I have concerns over latency. I think it will be an issue for anyone accustomed to gaming on PC or console. For people coming from mobile gaming - controlling via a touch screen or playing those tilt-screen games etc ... i'm sure they will not notice latency issues.

I also have concerns over picture quality. Realtime lossy encoding at the kind of bitrates they are talking about incurs a very noticeable quality loss. Particularly with high frequency detail, particle effects, smoke etc. Again, the very casual crowd will perhaps not notice.

My understanding is that only a small selection of (mostly older) games will be free to play for subscribers. Most new AAA games will be a full-price purchase. I have concerns over game ownership and the longevity of the service. Google have a reputation for shutting products down. Okay...this is a concern with any digital purchase. It is more of a concern with Stadia because:
    a) They are more likely to shut it down imo
    b) A shutdown would result in full and instant revokation of owernship. If Playstation Store shut down tomorrow I at least have my digital purchases on the console until it fails

Regarding the 'free' 1080p version. It would not be financially viable for them to allow freeloaders to play a game for eternity in exchange for a one-time purchase (of which they only get a cut). So they will do something to generate revenue from you, or encourage you to upgrade. If you are a freeloader I expect they will give you a low quality game instance and a low quality video stream (resolution is not a measure of quality). And pause the game frequently to bombard you with adverts.

So the Founders edition has a 4k Chromecast Ultra and a Stadia controller!
    Do I need the CC Ultra if I already have a 4k Android TV with built in casting?
    Is it just overkill?

If I can get away with just getting the controller and the Pro pass, that'd be better for me :D

Also have an Nvidia shield that I'm sure will have a supported app come release :)

This might only be good for internet cafes or something and for countries with good internet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This might only be good for internet cafes or something and for countries with good internet.

The same thing was said about Netflix years ago and now everyone and their dog has a Netflix subscription here.

Virgin Media have about 400,000 customers here. There are plenty that can get Virgin but choose not too as well. Their broadband is more than good enough. Then add up all the people who have access to SIRO, EIR fibre or EIR VDSL with a decent speeds which is a lot more. Plus, all the above are expanding their networks.

Sure some people here can only get crap broadband or no broadband at all but there are a lot of people with access to good broadband, that is good enough for this.

Virgin Media have about 400,000 customers here. There are plenty that can get Virgin but choose not too as well. Their broadband is more than good enough. Then add up all the people who have access to SIRO, EIR fibre or EIR VDSL with a decent speeds which is a lot more.

Sure some people here can only get crap broadband or no broadband at all but there are a lot of people with access to good broadband, that is more than sufficient for this.

Its not only your broadband,its the location of the server your connecting too.

PCGamer saying gaming at 4k on stadia for 65hrs uses one terabyte of data.

That may be enough to start boardering on ISP's fair usage policy.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/stadia-4k-streaming-will-use-up-1tb-of-data-in-65-hours/

EoinHef wrote: »
    Its not only your broadband,its the location of the server your connecting too.

PCGamer saying gaming at 4k on stadia for 65hrs uses one terabyte of data.

That may be enough to start boardering on ISP's fair usage policy.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/stadia-4k-streaming-will-use-up-1tb-of-data-in-65-hours/

Google have data centres here in Dublin.

That data usage would be lower if you drop the quality and don't have 5.1 audio (I assume you can disable that). So yeah worse case scenario you're looking at 15GB an hour. But it can be a lot less and I know plenty of people who game who don't have 4K TVs or surround sound. So, for those people the usage will be a lot lower. Not to mention Netflix uses a lot of data too (not as much sure) but still about 8GB an hour for 4K.

I know Virgin don't have caps any more. I'm pretty sure I read that Eir got rid of them too. Not sure about Siro.

The same arguments were made when Netflix came out and look at streaming video now. Loads of companies are launching streaming services now.

The only server you need to ping is googles data centre in Dublin. As long as you can ping Dublin, you're laughing.
    I can ping a Dublin server from Limerick is 15ms, that's a 30ms round trip, quicker than the lag on modern TVs when not using a gaming mode, that can be up to 200ms! Or the lag of using a wireless controller is 40 to 50ms

Seriously, stop worrying about lag! Google's got you covered :D

PS: I take no responsibility it it turns out to be a laggy mess :pac:

Sounds like you boys are sold already,ill not try convince you other wise.

At this stage no one here actually knows how well it will run in ireland so i guess we'll just see when it comes out.

I just find it strange that givin the history of streaming services that people are quite quick to believe the hype. It could turn out to be perfectly accurate but ill be waiting to see how it actually runs before i say it wont have the issues other streaming services have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement