Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Stadia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

CatInABox wrote: »
    Called it.

Destiny 2 Google Stadia players can only play with other Stadia players at launch

I know that it says there's no restriction on them actually doing it eventually, but I doubt that they will, or it'll be an option with an disclaimer that you'll probably lose to someone on dedicated hardware.

Like that's something to brag about. The whole lag input issue is a big turn off... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't think they're avoiding it for competitive matching & fairness reasons. It's much more likely an issue with Google like there was/is with Sony about crossplay and the fact that it's not a windows version. Nothing they can't overcome though, Borderlands had OSX, Windows & Linux crossplay for years until they borked it with the windows graphics update.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I think the game sales model will fall to pieces on them.

Their best bet will be a Netflix style subscription minus the game sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I think the game sales model will fall to pieces on them.

Their best bet will be a Netflix style subscription minus the game sales.

As big as Google is, I cannot see them agreeing to pay millions to each developer to allow their users access to game x or game y.

Doing so almost put Netflix out of business before they decided to stop paying for third party film, tv etc and focus on making their own content. Something Google are not going to do on a large scale.

I agree with you though, I cannot see their model working.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think they're avoiding it for competitive matching & fairness reasons. It's much more likely an issue with Google like there was/is with Sony about crossplay and the fact that it's not a windows version. Nothing they can't overcome though, Borderlands had OSX, Windows & Linux crossplay for years until they borked it with the windows graphics update.

There will be technical reasons too.

Anyone rendering locally will always have an advantage over someone rendering remotely when it comes to multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I’ve done a full 180 on this and cancelled my pre-order. Still intrigued by the tech but with Microsoft looking to at least match it and Google’s eagerness to drop technology at the drop of a hat, I don’t really have any faith that they won’t do the same here.

I got a Daydream VR headset last year – a nice piece of kit with a great handheld remote that worked really well with my Samsung S8. Then last week I upgraded my phone to the latest S10 model and suddenly it doesn’t work with the Daydream because Google have abandoned the project. It’s a technically superior phone, it can do the job and indeed when I put it in the VR headset, I can see the software appearing on screen and working but because Google don’t ‘support’ the new phone, I get a pop-up that covers the screen telling me it’s not compatible.

It’s the same with the latest Google Pixel 3A and 3A XL phones too. They just cut and run from projects like this at the drop of a hat.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, you can't trust them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

I'm curious about Stadia.

To be honest, the Destiny 2 details have me interested, from the cross save perspective. I figure that will be a good place for me to dip my toe.

I do have concerns on (1) Bandwidth, (2) Latency - but i'm considering the founder thing. Just to see what it is like, to be honest.

Yea, I think it looks good. €180 at launch is a good price for me to upgrade from my PS3. A PS4 or XBOX is going to cost double this price.

Does anyone know how to purchase the founder edition though?
    Just because the midnight blue controller looks cool,
    the wasabi and white ones look w**k...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Yea, I think it looks good. €180 at launch is a good price for me to upgrade from my PS3. A PS4 or XBOX is going to cost double this price.

You should be able to pre-order here:
    https://store.google.com/product/stadia

Though it looks like the Founders Edition is gone.

I cancelled mine a few weeks ago, decided it was not worth it, the buying games and paying a subscription was a step too far, I'll just buy them for my PS4 (or Switch).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

They're starting with the nonsense/straight out lies marketing speak now:

https://www.pcgamer.com/grid-for-stadia-has-a-40-car-mode-that-isnt-possible-with-other-hardware/

The whole premises make no sense - games run locally, they'll need to exchange just a stream of data about positioning of the cars etc. through the network. No modern PC/Console will have trouble interpreting and rendering such data.

The bottleneck is bandwidth...and Stadia uses it to stream video and audio as well.

Yet, it looks like they do have an audience - the comments section of that article is filled with people who clearly don't know how games work, going on about "yeah, your computer can't possibly render 40 cars!"

Also...40 cars pileups at the first corner. No thanks, it's ridiculous enough with 20 already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I just realised that the launch date for this is next tuesday!

I've a feeling this thing is dead before it ever gets going, the launch lineup is like a greatest hits of the year gone by, and there seems like they've generated little to no buzz or hype about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yes, founders edition are due to start dropping in peoples houses from Nov 19th.

I have a founders edition on pre-order myself.
    You can check your order in the google store for expected delivery.
    Mine says expected delivery between Nov 27th-28th.
    I'm obviously not part of the first batch, only ordered it Aug 21st.

And really, I just know that my money gets me a controller, Chromecast Ultra and 3 months Stadia Pro.

For me, I didn't really plan on buying games, was going to see how the subscription service fleshes out over the next few months.

But I might buy RDR2 for Stadia over PC if it runs better and if you get a discount for Stadia Pro! I'll see. I did want it to be more of Netflix service than purchase individual items and hopefully the Pro service ends up that way, but nothing is sure yet less than 6 days from "launch" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm concerned about the pricing of games. I have a founders on pre-order. But looking at the games I either have them or have zero interest in them. The only maybe game is something like RAGE 2. Which you can pick up routinely for around €20 now. Is it going to be priced at that price point or will it be an early adoptors bargain of €69.99

I'm concerned about the pricing of games. I have a founders on pre-order. But looking at the games I either have them or have zero interest in them. The only maybe game is something like RAGE 2. Which you can pick up routinely for around €20 now. Is it going to be priced at that price point or will it be an early adoptors bargain of €69.99

Yeah, there won't be any parity with existing platforms, just because a game might be 6 or 12 months old on those platforms already.

It'll be this is a new game on our new platform and it'll be sold at a new price.
    Same as when a lot of old stuff came to switch at the start.

That's just my opinion of course and I'll be seriously shocked if they do launch with cheaper than "New" pricing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can get a diskless Xbox One S for £180 at the minute.

https://www.monster-shop.co.uk/product/xbox-one-s-1tb/

I'd imagine it'll be £150ish in various places on black Friday. Get Game Pass and your sorted.

Still undecided about whether to cancel my Founder's Edition pre-order. Already have two Xboxes and a PS4, and a list of games I've been meaning to get around to. I just don't know which games I'll actually play on Stadia.

My Mrs is also going to kill me if she sees it, so there's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Basil3 wrote: »
    Still undecided about whether to cancel my Founder's Edition pre-order. Already have two Xboxes and a PS4, and a list of games I've been meaning to get around to. I just don't know which games I'll actually play on Stadia.

My Mrs is also going to kill me if she sees it, so there's that.

looking at the stadia launch lineup, theres feck all in it that isnt already on console at a significantly cheaper price.
    EJG3PX6UwAAQALS-26ff.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C566&ssl=1
    indeed, with black friday sales around the corner, they're likely to get further cuts.

There's a few good answers coming out of the AMA that started at 6pm!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/dvv3tv/hi_reddit_andrey_from_the_stadia_team_here_and_im/?st=k2xkbwne&sh=6a774acd

For instance, as soon as they ship your physical stuff, you'll get the invite via email.
    You can use then iOS or Android app to sign up and get your username straight away.
    From there, you can play away on your PC or chromebook while waiting on the controller to arrive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

My order is due to arrive on 22 - 25 November. Im looking forward to it. The launch lineup is light but if the tech works I can see me knocking great use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

looking at the stadia launch lineup, theres feck all in it that isnt already on console at a significantly cheaper price.
    EJG3PX6UwAAQALS-26ff.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C566&ssl=1
    indeed, with black friday sales around the corner, they're likely to get further cuts.

A good line up if it was 2018. Surprised DOOM 2016 isn't on it even though Ethernal was delayed.
    Hopefully Gylt appears on other systems eventually as it looked interesting when it was revealed.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Hopefully Gylt appears on other systems eventually as it looked interesting when it was revealed.

It looks alright to me, reminds me Edith Finch in ways!
    Here's the launch trailer :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I really don't like the idea of this. Aside from the limitation of current internet speeds and reliability, I prefer to have my games on my end. I understand that I don't own them but I shouldn't have to be online to enjoy single player games.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Really interested to see how this pans out. I think this business model is inevitable for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The AMA shows that the Epic Store is feature rich compared to this :confused:

You might not get your ultra and gamepad on the same day :confused:

Just cancelled my preorder there. With the money saved I'm buying RDR2 ultimate edition and Far Cry 5 gold edition and still have €60 left over.

I like the idea of Stadia, but the reality is most of my gaming is online with friends, and I'm gonna be all there on my own on Stadia. I hope it's a success, though.

I've often referred to the Nov launch as the soft launch and the real launch is in Feb when the basic service goes active for free.
    At that time, there's no barrier to entry. You don't have to pay €129 to buy in. You can use any device and any wireless controller to get going.
    It's really hard to justify the buy in for next weeks launch, when next years launch won't cos anything (unless you want to buy a standalone Stadia controller).
    It's a beta, in all but name :)

Plus I already have a 4k Android TV with built in Chromecast.
    Google have stated that they plan to support that setup in the future.
    What happens to the Chromecast Ultra at that point, when I no longer need it for Stadia?
    It's fúcking useless then! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Google may be a juggernaut but the fact is most of their products fail. Catalogs, wave, google plus, answers, notebook, google video (not youtube, they bought that) etc. Their only good product that they're not famous for was reader and they killed that themselves. Stadia could be a relative success or be a niche service that some enjoy but gets dropped if it's not up to their email, data storage or search engine levels of adoption.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I've often referred to the Nov launch as the soft launch and the real launch is in Feb when the basic service goes active for free.
    At that time, there's no barrier to entry. You don't have to pay €129 to buy in. You can use any device and any wireless controller to get going.
    It's really hard to justify the buy in for next weeks launch, when next years launch won't cos anything (unless you want to buy a standalone Stadia controller).
    It's a beta, in all but name :)

Plus I already have a 4k Android TV with built in Chromecast.
    Google have stated that they plan to support that setup in the future.
    What happens to the Chromecast Ultra at that point, when I no longer need it for Stadia?
    It's fúcking useless then! :D

It's as if you are paying for the pleasure of being a beta tester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Microsoft's Xcloud coming to Game Pass Ultimate with all new games launching on it really leave Stadia with a mountain to climb.

• Advertisement

Just saw RAGE 2 got added to Xbox Game Pass, so the only game I had half an interest in is now free on my xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

awec wrote: »
    I'd be a lot more excited for this if it was Microsoft or Sony.

This is the future, but it's long term really. We've seen from the local-only streaming options on xbox, playstation and steam that even the slightest amount of input lag makes games unplayable.

The 4k 60fps stuff sounds like pure pie in the sky.

That's my thought as well - I've recently discovered the limitations of Steam remote play, especially in terms of image quality.

Basically, games with big & wide environments, like FPS, you can get away with it. Games representing small details, there is a slight but noticeable loss in quality - PES 2020, for example, looks blurry and washed away.

This is with the game running at 1080p, streamed through gigabit ethernet (cabled) from one room to the other, and upscaled on a 4k TV. If I run the game directly on the laptop, still at 1080p, connected to the same TV, it looks normal. If I try to run the game in 4K on the main gaming PC and stream it, it chugs and drops frames (runs at steady 60fps with the screen connected directly). Testing the network with iPerf, there is a steady 900~ mbps connection between the two computers.

I can't imagine it working "perfectly" through the internet. Compromises will be needed.

Google may be a juggernaut but the fact is most of their products fail. Catalogs, wave, google plus, answers, notebook, google video (not youtube, they bought that) etc. Their only good product that they're not famous for was reader and they killed that themselves. Stadia could be a relative success or be a niche service that some enjoy but gets dropped if it's not up to their email, data storage or search engine levels of adoption.

I'd say the same normally, but with them founding a gaming studio, I reckon they are in it for the mid term at least (5-6 years) before reconsidering.

You'd hope that if they called it quits then that they'd have a compensation program for the digital goods, kind of like UltraViolet recently who shut down but gave me free copies of the movies I had from Google Play instead :)
    Microsoft's Xcloud coming to Game Pass Ultimate with all new games launching on it really leave Stadia with a mountain to climb.

Absolutely great service and I can't wait for it to come to PC.
    Mobile screens are just too small for my awful vision :D

Money taken from my account today. No code yet but hopefully not too long.

Money taken from my account today. No code yet but hopefully not too long.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it when it's up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I'm strongly considering cancelling my order, I already use Nvidia GeForce Now and that covers the gaming needs for my son and me. And at least if I cancel GeForce Now (whenever Nvidia start charging for it) I still own the games on Steam.

• Advertisement

I'm strongly considering cancelling my order, I already use Nvidia GeForce Now and that covers the gaming needs for my son and me. And at least if I cancel GeForce Now (whenever Nvidia start charging for it) I still own the games on Steam.

How does that nvidia thing work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm considering cancelling this myself but at the same time I'm interested to see does it actually work at all!

I have been mulling it over though, I've a PS4 Pro, Switch, a PC about 2 years old and I'm half only getting it as I want the controller and I'm a bit of a Google fanboy

I don't really need this at all, but at the same time it has me interested!

How does that nvidia thing work?

It's in beta at the moment so it's been free for months, though they used to charge for it.

I play it on my Nvidia Shield, with the controller I got with it. Has a limited number of free games, and the rest you buy in Steam (not everything is supported). Games are streamed to the Shield, much like how Statia should work.

I have no other gaming machine (besides for a Wii), but I'll y only really interested in F1 games and my son in Lego games.

It's in beta at the moment so it's been free for months, though they used to charge for it.

I play it on my Nvidia Shield, with the controller I got with it. Has a limited number of free games, and the rest you buy in Steam (not everything is supported). Games are streamed to the Shield, much like how Statia should work.

I have no other gaming machine (besides for a Wii), but I'll y only really interested in F1 games and my son in Lego games.

I used to find geForce Now pretty good, but haven't used it in ages. The other day the kids decided they wanted to play Lego Incredibles on the Shield, and the game just got stuck on queuing. This is the kind of thing that would concern me with Stadia.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I used to find geForce Now pretty good, but haven't used it in ages. The other day the kids decided they wanted to play Lego Incredibles on the Shield, and the game just got stuck on queuing. This is the kind of thing that would concern me with Stadia.

Since it became free it's become much busier, especially since they added a client for other platforms. I don't usually have to wait more than a minute or two. But yes, it is something that would concern me if I was paying.

• Advertisement

Money taken from my account today too. Estimated delivery time has improved by a day. So should have it in my hands by Friday at the latest. Looking forward to testing it out.

An authorisation has been taken on my credit card too, even though my delivery date isn't until 27-28th.
    Probably just a funds check.

Either way, I found out from an IGN unboxing video earlier that the optional wall plug for the Chromecast Ultra comes with an ethernet adapter.
    This is great as this would literally suck balls over WiFi, like project xCloud beta that I'm in.
    With everything hard wired to the modem, I'm much happier about this than I ever was until today :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    An authorisation has been taken on my credit card too, even though my delivery date isn't until 27-28th.
    Probably just a funds check.

Either way, I found out from an IGN unboxing video earlier that the optional wall plug for the Chromecast Ultra comes with an ethernet adapter.
    This is great as this would literally suck balls over WiFi, like project xCloud beta that I'm in.
    With everything hard wired to the modem, I'm much happier about this than I ever was until today :)

Mine is gonna have to be over wifi, but my wifi is fairly good. Usually doesn't dip below 15 mbs and is regularly in the mid 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Mine is gonna have to be over wifi, but my wifi is fairly good. Usually doesn't dip below 15 mbs and is regularly in the mid 20's.

Is that good enough? I know it's not like for like but Nvidia Geforce Now say a recommended minimum of 25 Mbit for their game streaming service. I have Ethernet on a Shield with 90/20 Mbit and get some lag at times. I certainly couldn't like to have it on WiFi.

Is that good enough? I know it's not like for like but Nvidia Geforce Now say a recommended minimum of 25 Mbit for their game streaming service. I have Ethernet on a Shield with 90/20 Mbit and get some lag at times. I certainly couldn't like to have it on WiFi.

They claim 10 is the minimum required so I have a decent bit of wiggle room with it.
    I see they've announced 10 more launch titles this morning. Pads out the list a bit better now.

I reckon you'd have to use this over ethernet cable to get a decent experience even if they do say wifi is an option.
    Just can't see it working that great .

I reckon you'd have to use this over ethernet cable to get a decent experience even if they do say wifi is an option.
    Just can't see it working that great .

Will let ya know on Friday :)

Yeah, for me it has to be Ethernet as WiFi is fúcking shocking in my place for ping/jitter it's the concrete in the walls and floors from what I can gather.

I've played PS Now and Steam link with wires in the past and it's been fine, so as long as I can plug the CC Ultra into Ethernet, I'll be laughing :)

I'm guessing that most people would be okay over WiFi, but it depends on numerous factors!

I'm looking forward to hearing about how well it runs. If it does take off then i think this will be the future of gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

They claim 10 is the minimum required so I have a decent bit of wiggle room with it.
    I see they've announced 10 more launch titles this morning. Pads out the list a bit better now.

Your upload speed would be a more important figure, it's usually only about one eighth of your download speed depending on your package

• Advertisement
Advertisement