Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TNG runthrough

• 24-07-2018 8:37pm

the DS9 runthrough was good craic, any interest in a tng rewatch.

i've just watched the first one.
    60s dresses. oh data why are you so not human ha ha. Q makes his very first appearance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Riker befuddled by an alien using a replicator.

Evade wrote: »
    Riker befuddled by an alien using a replicator.

and a HOLODECK!!! :eek::eek:
    the smug ensign and the ship giving directions to riker was a bit lol. turn left. turn left now!
    you think they never learned from gps

bluewolf wrote: »
    They were supposed to be pretty new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

Currently doing one myself, half way through Season 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I seem to recall male extras running around in the same dress / miniskirt fashion as female crewmembers. Remarkably this didn't persist throughout the series

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I seem to recall male extras running around in the same dress / miniskirt fashion as female crewmembers. Remarkably this didn't persist throughout the series

You can see that in the Encounter at Farpoint, and perhaps one or two other early eps

I didnt know data was programmed as a sex robot too. Jaysus

At least dr crusher figured out the crazy virus was passed through touch. I didn't think data would get infected. I thought he'd save the day after everyone else went under

You can tell i haven't seen this in a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Daith

the smug ensign and the ship giving directions to riker was a bit lol. turn left. turn left now!
    you think they never learned from gps

Yep the flashing lights thing for directions was odd. What if two people were looking for directions?

I do recall the person who shows Riker how to use the arrows checks out Riker's ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Daith wrote: »

I do recall the person who shows Riker how to use the arrows checks out Riker's ass.

I haven't watched Encounter at Farpoint for years, even during my last Next Gen runthrough I just didn't have the strength.

But now I am going to have to, dammit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

JayRoc wrote: »
    I haven't watched Encounter at Farpoint for years, even during my last Next Gen runthrough I just didn't have the strength.

Im really glad Gene Roddenberry took a backseat role after season 1.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Encounter at Farpoint is such a weird fish, even by the metrics of the rest of Season 1. It surely must have been jarring to any Trekkie who grew up with the swashbuckling adventures of TOS, or even the four films that had come out by TNG's premiere.

Encounter at Farpoint is such a weird fish, even by the metrics of the rest of Season 1. It surely must have been jarring to any Trekkie who grew up with the swashbuckling adventures of TOS, or even the four films that had come out by TNG's premiere.

Ive often wondered what it would be like to watch that episode on LSD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Daith

JayRoc wrote: »

It's actually important to Riker's character to establish him as a ugh "ladies man" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

If you're doing a TNG run-through, you should have a look at the Greatest Generation podcast – http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/greatest-generation

They're onto DS9 now (nearing the end of Season 2) but, start at the start, they have already covered the entirety of TNG.

It's a very light-hearted look at the series, "from two guys who are a little bit embarrassed to have a Star Trek podcast", and I found it a whole lot of fun.

Even if you're not doing a run-through at the same time... It's good fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I've been working my way through the Greatest Gen podcast as well and found it very entertaining. The appearance of Kevin Uxbridge in random episodes makes it difficult to keep composed on my work commute.

yar to yareena (did they do this on purpose): i'm totally gona beat your ass
    yareena: NO U

yar to the captain: well i tried, she won't budge
    :rolleyes:

Just spotted that now in ep 5 where they're all stuck in nowhere-imagination-land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

:D love the line at 5.35 - "Eh ... is this as good as we remember it was ?"

Great early scene in the Federation - Cardasian conflict.
    From s5 I think

Goodshape wrote: »
    If you're doing a TNG run-through, you should have a look at the Greatest Generation podcast – http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/greatest-generation

They're onto DS9 now (nearing the end of Season 2) but, start at the start, they have already covered the entirety of TNG.

It's a very light-hearted look at the series, "from two guys who are a little bit embarrassed to have a Star Trek podcast", and I found it a whole lot of fun.

Even if you're not doing a run-through at the same time... It's good fun :)

The earliest I find here (TNG) is from Season 2 ...

Did they do a run through on season 1 too ?

• Advertisement

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Great early scene in the Federation - Cardasian conflict.
    From s5 I think

I know it's probably not your video but that's Gul Macet, not Gul Dukat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

TomSweeney wrote: »
    The earliest I find here (TNG) is from Season 2 ...

Did they do a run through on season 1 too ?

They did. Not sure why it's not listed on their site but if you search for the podcast on your podcast app you should find it.

This link might work better to get the full show - https://pca.st/greatgen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I found Tim Lynch's episode reviews to be useful companions... they start mid season 2.
    http://timlynchreviews.wikia.com/wiki/TNG

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Bring back tasha yar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Bring back tasha yar

Sacrifice Everything! Make it so!

Bring back tasha yar

Crosby must really regret leaving the show when she did.

Inviere wrote: »
    Crosby must really regret leaving the show when she did.

Someone would have made way at end of Season 1...
    https://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/08/05/star-trek-the-next-generation-marina-sirtis-fired-denise-crosby/

Bizarrely in the original casting it was supposed to be Sirtis playing Tasha Yar!

It's a pity she wasn't fired, her character brought down most episodes and I'm not surprised writers didn't know what to do with her.

Weird to read Rodenberry of all people quoted remarking there were 'one too many women', wondering what he meant by that as on the face of it, it sounds contradictorily regressive.

It's a pity she wasn't fired, her character brought down most episodes and I'm not surprised writers didn't know what to do with her.
    Weird to read Rodenberry of all people quoted remarking there were 'one too many women', wondering what he meant by that as on the face of it, it sounds contradictorily regressive.

Not sure what to make it myself but I think there was also competition between Yar and Worf for screen time... Yar was security chief but then what would Worf do on the bridge.

And long term they saw more potential stories from a Klingon on board.
    So it was species-ist :)

• Advertisement

Aw i thought she was a good contribution and didn't bring anything down.
    I was wondering if she left herself or got kicked off all right

Aw i thought she was a good contribution and didn't bring anything down.
    I was wondering if she left herself or got kicked off all right

She was good, if not a little lacking in scope. She left herself, something I’d say she probably regrets because she seems to have continued to embrace Star Trek by continuing to go to cons etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In The Captains documentary Patrick Stewart mentions she left largely out of boredom / not feeling utilised enough. She was spending entire days on-set where her only contribution was standing on the raised part of the bridge behind Stewart and Frakes.

Yeah, that was evident just watching those season 1 episodes; Yar rarely contributed anything remotely meaningful to episodes, to the point where even her funeral was a bit jarring, lamenting a crewmember barely acknowledged at the best of times.

I just watched the funeral episode last night, i just thought it was a bit hammy.
    Do you update these recordings every few months or what. In case you die. Wes you're so innocent and childish

Gul dukat is commander tebok!

• Advertisement

Gul dukat is commander tebok!

He pops up a few times in TNG I believe.

Marc Alaimo was a good actor.

He's one of the carnivorous alien ambassadors in season one's the Lonely Among Us too.

The actual number of 'holodeck gone wrong' episodes, i would never go near one!!

The actual number of 'holodeck gone wrong' episodes, i would never go near one!!
    I bet that's the reason the Ferengi branded them as holosuites. Ferengi marketers wanted to get away from all the bad press associated with inferior Federation holodecks.

I bet that's the reason the Ferengi branded them as holosuites. Ferengi marketers wanted to get away from all the bad press associated with inferior Federation holodecks.

Nah... the reason we dont hear about the holosuite disasters is the waiver of liability non disclosure agreement you have to sign. You would need starship sensors to read the ferengi small print!

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Nah... the reason we dont hear about the holosuite disasters is the waiver of liability non disclosure agreement you have to sign. You would need starship sensors to read the ferengi small print!
    I don't know. Over seven years of operation on DS9 Quarks holosuites had two malfunctions that I can think of, Doctor Bashir's legally distinct from James Bond spy program and Sisko getting zapped when he was studying that Bajoran obelisk. The former was arguably not the fault of the holosuite.

I don't know. Over seven years of operation on DS9 Quarks holosuites had two malfunctions that I can think of, Doctor Bashir's legally distinct from James Bond spy program and Sisko getting zapped when he was studying that Bajoran obelisk. The former was arguably not the fault of the holosuite.

Vic was a Real Person as well though! he was able to chat to them over the intercom

Vic was a Real Person as well though! he was able to chat to them over the intercom

And a real life human ( for some reason) in the mirror universe.

I don't know. Over seven years of operation on DS9 Quarks holosuites had two malfunctions that I can think of...

That you know of!
    What about the one Quark hushed up cos the vedek didnt want anyone to know what program he was using...

odyssey06 wrote: »
    That you know of!
    What about the one Quark hushed up cos the vedek didnt want anyone to know what program he was using...

Vulcan Love Slave III

That was by design wasn't it? There's no reason holograms that know they're holograms shouldn't be able to do it. It's just we're mostly used to seeing holograms that don't know they're holograms. The Doctor(s), Vic, and Lewis Zimmerman's assistant being the only Federation exceptions that come to mind.

That was by design wasn't it? There's no reason holograms that know they're holograms shouldn't be able to do it. It's just we're mostly used to seeing holograms that don't know they're holograms. The Doctor(s), Vic, and Lewis Zimmerman's assistant being the only Federation exceptions that come to mind.

I didn't think it was because they were so surprised about the intercom thing, but they did say he was built with a different matrix so maybe!

do you think these lads on the enterprise do shifts? like there is a disaster in 17 hours! we will reconvene in 6 hours! bring ideas! cool but can i have a nap first or something.
    or they are chilling in the bar and suddenly they must report to the bridge at once

do you think these lads on the enterprise do shifts? like there is a disaster in 17 hours! we will reconvene in 6 hours! bring ideas! cool but can i have a nap first or something.
    or they are chilling in the bar and suddenly they must report to the bridge at once
    There's three shifts per day, four for Jellico's brief command. If something big happens they call all senior officers to their stations because you probably don't want some lieutenant JG in command of the graveyard shift full of ensigns using their wealth of experience in a crisis or a first contact situation.

This lad playing riva. Hello

Apparently the actor himself was deaf as well and produced the episode. That's cool

This lad playing riva. Hello

Apparently the actor himself was deaf as well and produced the episode. That's cool
    This is probably a really unpopular opinion but I hate that episode. Riva's refusal to meet people in the middle with his being deaf is a really strange position for a mediator. I get what they were trying to do but like the DS9 episode where Vic's is taken over by the Mafia the execution was really off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement