Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TNG runthrough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Dr Crusher episodes are the worst

Sub Rosa, where she gets off with a ghost

Where she's trapped in a warp bubble, 'If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!"

The boring ferengi scientist murder mystery one..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Timicin wrote:
    the work will continue
    can't stop the work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Evade wrote: »
    For all the many faults of that episode "I AM NOT A MERRY MAN" makes it worth it.

I always enjoyed that one. Looked like they were just having a good laugh:

"Jean-Luc. For some reason I'm on Sherwood Forest"

"Yes, I know"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's darmok and jalad time <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

bluewolf wrote: »

Shaka when the walls fell.

Great episode. Haven't seen it in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I always thought Picard thinking the book he finds while rummaging through Dathon's things is a logbook is a bit of a leap, it could be almost anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Temba, his arms wide!"

461673.png

"doctor you killed the giant floating crystal"
    "i did it for renny my son"
    "renny thinks you're an asshole now doc. From what i can tell of his memories. Soz"

I wish they'd managed to communicate with the giant flying crystal. I thought it was evil in the ep with lore?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wish they'd managed to communicate with the giant flying crystal. I thought it was evil in the ep with lore?

brainless rather than evil, no?
    The meet again in one of the Titan books and expand on it a bit. It's just the space equivalent of an apex predator.

I must go back and check that one again

• Advertisement

Spock has made an appearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As you are watching, keep an eye out for some guest actors who auditioned for main cast roles e.g.
    - Eric Menuyk (The Traveller) auditioned for the role of Data
    - William Campbell (The Outrageous Okono) auditioned for the role of Riker
    - Rosalind Chao (Keiko) was considered for the role of Tasha Yar, but turned down the final audition.
    - Julia Nickson was also in the running for Tasha Yar, popped up as Ensign Liam T'Su in "Arsenal of Freedom" and Cassandra in DS9's paradise

In other series, William Russ (Tuvok) auditioned for Geordi, and Stephen Macht ("Krim" in DS9 The Circle) was considered for Picard.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Spock has made an appearance!

Evade wrote: »
    There's a nice callback/payoff to that in season 5.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    In other series, William Russ (Tuvok) auditioned for Geordi
    He shows up in Starship Mine as one of the thieves and as a crewman on the Enterprise B in Generations too.

I watched Gambit and Paralells the other day. Captain Data is one of my favourite things in TNG, it's a pity he only shows up in Gambit and Redemption. Paralells is probably one of the best of season seven, crazed Riker from the Borg Universe and captain Riker's "It's been a long time" to Picard are nice little touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Paralells is one of my favourites alright. Don't think it get's enough praise actually.

The following episode, The Pegasus, is really solid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

Finished. Season 7, imo, relative to what came before, is a stinker of a season. Cracking finale, and a handful of solid eps, but by and large it was pretty bad.

Today we learn that alexander is a brat, worf is a bit lost and refuses help, and warp without a warp drive!
    i guess the floaty organisms weren't the first attempt

and warp without a warp drive!

Never properly got that "concept", in terms of how they were saying it'd replace warp drive.

"Conn, drop us out of warp and change course for sector 001, engage!"

"Em, Captain, we can't. We're travelling by Soliton Wave so we need to continue on to our destination to meet a dispersal wave. Once we're there and safely out of this wave, I'll message the station to send a new wave headed for Sector 001 that we can get a lift off of, ok?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I could easily imagine how, in a post-scarcity society like the Federation, there'd be dozens if not hundreds of these sorts of experiments; with no constraints on budgets, politics, conflict or any of the usual concepts that block ideas, anyone smart enough could get their batty experiment fronted by Starfleet. With no pressure towards practicality, no idea is too silly.

Inviere wrote: »
    Never properly got that "concept", in terms of how they were saying it'd replace warp drive.

"Conn, drop us out of warp and change course for sector 001, engage!"

"Em, Captain, we can't. We're travelling by Krieger Wave so we need to continue on to our destination to meet a dispersal wave. Once we're there and safely out of this wave, I'll message the station to send a new wave headed for Sector 001 that we can get a lift off of, ok?"

Yeah it seemed a bit mad but i figured if it worked they could do a portable controllable version or something

Yeah it seemed a bit mad but i figured if it worked they could do a portable controllable version or something

Something has to generate a dispersal wave, in front of you, heading in the opposite direction to you though in order to stop you. Similarly, something has to generate a wave behind you, so you can get swept away in it. I'm not sure how portable the tech really could have been :confused:

• Advertisement

Something has to generate a dispersal wave, in front of you, heading in the opposite direction to you though. Similarly, something has to generate a wave behind you, so you can get swept away in it. I'm not sure how portable the tech really could have been :confused:

I'll be honest i was paying less attention to that and more attention to yelling "there's no sound in space!" at the fancy sound effects from it...

I'll be honest i was paying less attention to that and more attention to yelling "there's no sound in space!" at the fancy sound effects from it...

:D

(Even JJ got that right!)

I always liked the old Star Wars EU excuse for sound in space, it's speakers in the cockpits/helmets giving you information from the sensors as sounds. Instead of looking at the sensor screen to see there's TIEs coming from behind you hear them.

It's funny watching some episodes and being like, i don't remember this, but that's a bad guy...

Worf's answer to another problem is death and Riker gives him a dressing down.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaR7Uxau9OY
    Bit dull but Frakes is a great actor

You can understand why though, in a warrior culture, losing the ability to stand is losing their way of life. I think Picards response is the most enlightened, we may not agree with their beliefs, but we should respect them, and not impose our own morality onto another culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaR7Uxau9OY
    Bit dull but Frakes is a great actor

I thought it was a great episode.
    You can understand why though, in a warrior culture, losing the ability to stand is losing their way of life. I think Picards response is the most enlightened, we may not agree with their beliefs, but we should respect them, and not impose our own morality onto another culture.

But why should someone from another culture impose there believes onto someone who does not believe in them.

I thought Rikers response to Worfs request was brilliant and the right thing to do as well. Worf changed his mind fairly quickly when he realised who it would be that would carry out his request. Funny he had no problem asking Riker to do it but as soon as it was his son he did not have the courage to go through with it. Ironically that could have led to Alexander having a very different life do and maybe even becoming a better Klingon. Some friend he was do not having a problem trying to get his friend aka Riker to do something he did not want to do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I think the biggest misstep in that episode is having Worf paralysed from the waist down instead of the neck down. Worf's position would be easier to justify then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

As clunky as Babylon 5 dialogue could be, there was a good episode involving the doctor: There was a dying kid who could have been saved by a simple procedure which was forbidden by his people's beliefs.
    He went against their beliefs and saved the kid only for the parents to freak out, devastated. They killed the kid in an attempt to undo what the doctor had done and try to save their kid's life. The doc got on his high horse about how backwards and stupid they were only for the commander to smack him down for being so arrogant assuming that his beliefs were superior to theirs.

• Advertisement

As clunky as Babylon 5 dialogue could be, there was a good episode involving the doctor: There was a dying kid who could have been saved by a simple procedure which was forbidden by his people's beliefs.
    He went against their beliefs and saved the kid only for the parents to freak out, devastated. They killed the kid in an attempt to undo what the doctor had done and try to save their kid's life. The doc got on his high horse about how backwards and stupid they were only for the commander to smack him down for being so arrogant assuming that his beliefs were superior to theirs.
    Objectively, they are. Allowing your child to die because of some backwards belief is dumb. Doesn't matter if it's religious tradition or vaccines cause autism, dumb is dumb.

Advertisement