Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TNG runthrough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

AMKC wrote: »
    But why should someone from another culture impose there believes onto someone who does not believe in them.

Worf wasn't imposing anything though, he asked his friend, who he trusted, to help him carry out a ritual that he agreed with and believed in. All Riker had to do was say no, which he did. In that episode, Riker represented us, the viewer. Picard represented the "Star Trek" viewpoint.

You're right that he backed down when Riker suggested he had to ask Alexander to do it. Again though, I didn't see that as a weakness, more that Worf at times was more human than he let on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Tom Paris just showed up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

bluewolf wrote: »
    Tom Paris just showed up :D
    Slightly weird fact about this episode is it is (or was at one time) shown to USAF Academy cadets to show how the cadets they should apply the cadet honour code, "we will not lie, steal, or cheat, nor tolerate among us anyone who does."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Wasn't Paris actually supposed to actually be that character? Thought I read it somewhere. That would have explained the so called initial hostility against him that the Voyager producers had planned (And immediately abandoned) as opposed to some other hotshot cadet/young pilot that was in trouble with Starfleet who looked a lot like him :)

Wasn't Paris actually supposed to actually be that character? Thought I read it somewhere. That would have explained the so called initial hostility against him that the Voyager producers had planned (And immediately abandoned) as opposed to some other hotshot cadet/young pilot that was in trouble with Starfleet who looked a lot like him :)
    There was a copyright thing in Star Trek where the writer of an episode/story would own any new characters they created for the episode so if they used Nick Locarno in Voyager they'd have to pay the writer of the First Duty for every episode he was in. So they just cross out Nicholas Locarno's name and write in Tom Paris to get out of it. It's the same reason Vorik on Voyager isn't Taurik from Lower Decks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What happens if you get expelled from the academy?
    can you still get into starfleet another way? is there a 3 year moratorium then you can apply again?

What happens if you get expelled from the academy?
    can you still get into starfleet another way?
    Join whatever quasi military there is on a planet in the process of joining the Federation. There was a line in Rapture about integrating the Bajoran Militia into Starfleet. There's an officer exchange program with Federation allies too. Benzites and Klingons were shown in participating in it in a Matter of Honour and Sins of the Father along with Riker serving on a Klingon ship in the former.

I had no idea or had totally forgotten lwaxana troi was the computer voice. Hearing her talk to herself with alexander into the holosuite was funny
    And then she won't talk to herself with the replicator :D "i think your replicator is having a nervous lapse"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I had no idea or had totally forgotten lwaxana troi was the computer voice. Hearing her talk to herself with alexander into the holosuite was funny
    And then she won't talk to herself with the replicator :D "i think your replicator is having a nervous lapse"

Majel Barret was in absolutely everything, bar Discovery, which doesn't count anyway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majel_Barrett

dr crusher what are you at trying to save a borg.
    run away run away

• Advertisement

I know picard is a captain and knows lots of things and all, but hearing a random planet name after being 'kidnapped' or something and going 'oh that's not a federation planet' immediately. how would you know! there's like 150 of them

I know picard is a captain and knows lots of things and all, but hearing a random planet name after being 'kidnapped' or something and going 'oh that's not a federation planet' immediately. how would you know! there's like 150 of them
    There's more than that. 150 is the number of species (planets that originated a species might be more accurate), there are a lot of colonies out there too. If there were only 150 planets the deal with Cardassia to maintain peace would have involved losing about 10% of the Federation which would have been a much bigger deal.

I just did a quick google before i posted it and it said 150 planetary govts.
    I suppose that's even more my point then.
    Where is this
    Kataan
    Oh that's not fed

Ahhh

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That planet was well known for a recent referendum where it voted against joining. Or somesuch...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That was the one that died 1000 years ago from a nova. I don't think they mentioned the fed at all
    "the inner light" episode

That was the one that died 1000 years ago from a nova. I don't think they mentioned the fed at all
    "the inner light" episode

Ok good point... On the other hand, there are 200+ countries in the world. If someone said you were in the country of (random word) Kinshaya, you might very well say, "But that's not a country on Earth".

I just did a quick google before i posted it and it said 150 planetary govts.
    I suppose that's even more my point then.
    Where is this
    Kataan
    Oh that's not fed

Ahhh
    You were right, according to startrek.com it's 150 planetary governments which would include the colonies. That seems way too small. It also means we've seen or heard about all but 50 of those planets on screen and 10% of Federation worlds were in the DMZ while it was there.

I'm going to have to put this down to Star Trek writers can't scale. Like with the Bajoran occupation resulting in 15 million Bajoran deaths, which sounds like a lot but it lasted 50 years. WWII killed 80 million people directly and due to famine etc, in less than 10 years. I have to assume they don't include death by natural causes in that figure since about 0.5% of the population* would die that way every year.

*US rate, it was the first one that came in a search and is probably a pretty good analogue for Bajor.

Fair play to barclay, if i saw scary giant worm things trying to eat me in the transporter-land, in the middle of being gripped by transporter phobia, i would not be grabbing and trying to save them

I quite like data's poem

Ode to Spot

Felis Catus
    is your taxonomic nomenclature
    An endothermic quadruped
    carniverous by nature
    Your visual, olfactory,
    and auditory senses
    Contribute to your hunting skills
    and natural defenses.
    I find myself intrigued
    by your sub-vocal oscillations
    A singular development
    of cat communications
    That obviates your
    basic hedonistic predilection
    For a rhythmic stroking of your fur
    to demonstrate affection.
    A tail is quite essential
    for your acrobatic talents
    You would not be so agile
    if you lacked its counterbalance
    And when not being utilized
    to aid in locomotion
    It often serves to illustrate
    the state of your emotion
    Oh Spot,
    e complex levels of behavior you display
    Denote a fairly well developed cognitive array
    And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend
    I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

Oh my god Gul Madred is Jon Irenicus!!! I'd know that voice anywhere!!!
    it is time for more ... experiments. you should survive the process

PS THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I wish we'd gotten more Jellico. The uniform looks better on Troi than any of the casual clothes she's worn previously.

Oh my god Gul Madred is Jon Irenicus!!! I'd know that voice anywhere!!!

Good info here on Warner's various Trek roles over the years including Gul Madred:
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/David_Warner

Evade wrote: »
    I wish we'd gotten more Jellico. The uniform looks better on Troi than any of the casual clothes she's worn previously.

Definitely, i think she wanted one and suddenly was able to explain technical concepts when she got a uniform

Oh here
    link

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Good info here on Warner's various Trek roles over the years including Gul Madred:
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/David_Warner

I can't believe he was reading cue cards. Fabulous actor in that

Definitely, i think she wanted one and suddenly was able to explain technical concepts when she got a uniform

Oh here
    https://web.archive.org/web/20121113174100/http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/st/interviews/sirtis/page26.shtml
    And then she crashed the Enterprise-D.

don't remember that!

she is off wrecking the gaff as a Romulan today

don't remember that!

she is off wrecking the gaff as a Romulan today
    Generations.

It's been a while - nearly forgot where I left off!
    picard is falling in love with a stellar cartographer today, and my Alexa is arguing with the tv again :pac:

It's been a while - nearly forgot where I left off!
    picard is falling in love with a stellar cartographer today, and my Alexa is arguing with the tv again :pac:

Ah yes the captivating Nella Darren, played by talented Australian actress Wendy Hughes in one of her brief forays to the US:
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Wendy_Hughes

You can tell she was a quality Australian actress by the fact that Neighbours & Home and Away are absent from her CV :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't think that was Deanna's fault. There was not much she could do once it had been hit by the explosion from the other half and then caught in the planets atmosphere.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement