Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hot take: most TNG uniforms are garbage and awful to look at. It was only with the movie uniforms that they not only looked good, but the actors were comfortable wearing them.
    The best TNG uniform is the Yesterday's Enterprise variant. The higher collar, belts, and black cuffs made it look so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

We already had this 20 pages uniform chat before.

Take it to a new thread.

Or, recognise that this is a pretty small forum and topics tend to flow organically, especially when there's not much news.

FFVII wrote: »
    We already had this 20 pages uniform chat before.

Take it to a new thread.

Sir, yes sir!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Sir, yes sir!!!!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

some rumours from Denise Crosby that shes likely to appear Picard, assume not series 1 but.. Romulans etc wouldnt be surprised to see her pop up

some rumours from Denise Crosby that shes likely to appear Picard, assume not series 1 but.. Romulans etc wouldnt be surprised to see her pop up
    I wouldn't mind seeing Sela scheming again.

That woman should be the meme for "I immediately regret this decision"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

That woman should be the meme for "I immediately regret this decision"

Does anyone think Roddenberry didnt want her back permanently because she dared pass on the opportunity or was it just that the show had moved on so the only room for her was in yesterday's enterprise and Sela?

(Apologies for off topic :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, were I in Crosbies place back in the day, I would have left too. Watching season 1, she really had nothing to do throughout the run and while the same could be said for Word, Data or Troi, at least they had something to work with. Tasha Yar was Generic Human Crew, with maybe 1, 2 lines per episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

To be fair, were I in Crosbies place back in the day, I would have left too. Watching season 1, she really had nothing to do throughout the run and while the same could be said for Word, Data or Troi, at least they had something to work with. Tasha Yar was Generic Human Crew, with maybe 1, 2 lines per episode.

I think she made a big mistake because its not like she got any other big gigs after it. So if she had of stayed in TNG things might have got better.

As for this ''Word'' character scratches head . I can't say I remember them.

I think you mean Worf lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sir, yes sir!!!!

I like the Admiral Picard one :D

star-trek-picard-comic-3-1193039.jpeg?auto=webp&width=1186&height=1800&crop=1186:1800,smart

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I like the Admiral Picard one :D

star-trek-picard-comic-3-1193039.jpeg?auto=webp&width=1186&height=1800&crop=1186:1800,smart

ohhhhhhhhh nice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

AMKC wrote: »
    I think she made a big mistake because its not like she got any other big gigs after it. So if she had of stayed in TNG things might have got better.

Agreed. I always felt she regretted leaving too, as she seemed to spend the rest of her days embracing Trek at conventions, and remaining part of the family etc. She seemed to jump at the chance to get back involved for Sela etc too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As for this ''Word'' character scratches head . I can't say I remember them.

I think you mean Worf lol.

Not saying it wasn't a mistake, am saying that at the time it was an understandable decision for an actor to make, considering Yar was basically a red-shirt with the occasional line or two. Assuming it wasn't brilliantly paid - and going by the chaos of pre-production I'd imagine it wasn't - I'd have left too were I in Crosbie's place.

Like, has there even been any subsequent reveals of Yar in fact having some complex or meaningful character that would have been explored in a later season?

Not saying it wasn't a mistake, am saying that at the time it was an understandable decision for an actor to make, considering Yar was basically a red-shirt with the occasional line or two. Assuming it wasn't brilliantly paid - and going by the chaos of pre-production I'd imagine it wasn't - I'd have left too were I in Crosbie's place.

Like, has there even been any subsequent reveals of Yar in fact having some complex or meaningful character that would have been explored in a later season?

She had the best of the character backgrounds, and there were subtle & obvious hints as to the reason for her withdrawn nature.
    Her mistake was 2 fold though:
    1. Leaving without something dead to rights nailed down
    2. Having her leaving be a death scene

Actually the character was ahead of it's time, with Roddenberry not wanting any crew conflict and her characterisation really needing serialised TV format.

He creates a character from a fallen world, just to show how the Federation was the way forward, but does not allow real negativity.

Even in DS9 she would have been a multi layered character along the lines of Garak, Ducat, Bashir, or even Rom

Being from a failed and abandoned colony could have made her much more sympathetic to the Maquis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Evade wrote: »
    Being from a failed and abandoned colony could have made her much more sympathetic to the Maquis.

Tasha loved the Federation, and has said Starfleet saved her. She would never betray the Federation imo

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Tasha loved the Federation, and has said Starfleet saved her. She would never betray the Federation imo
    I think the Federation abandoning some of its worlds might at least make her a little conflicted. Imagine the organisation you idealise betraying its principles (arguably) the only moral choice might be to leave and carry on those ideals on your own, or with the Maquis.

Obviously if she was still a regular then she'd stay with Starfleet but it's a potential story that could have centered around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Set course to the Hype system, Maximum Warp.. Engage!

https://twitter.com/jeffersonrusso/status/1196532816382611456

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Can’t wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Issue 1 of the Picard: Countdown comic seems to be out?

Anyone know if / where it's available? In Dublin preferably for myself, or online I guess.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Issue 1 of the Picard: Countdown comic seems to be out?

Anyone know if / where it's available? In Dublin preferably for myself, or online I guess.

I’d say call forbidden planet. But only if you don’t mind them saving your number and calling you to tell you about comics that have come in every few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's out online alright

Have read it now and the look and tone seems pretty faithful to TNG/DS9/VOY era. Hopefully this bodes well for the upcoming series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I’d say call forbidden planet. But only if you don’t mind them saving your number and calling you to tell you about comics that have come in every few weeks :)

Forbidden Planet have gone downhill a lot. I used to love going there and remember when half the shop was full of kits from Star Trek and other sci-fi shows. I barely ever go there now its all manga this and that. You would be lucky to find any sci-fi show in there now except Star Wars and even that has suffered in the last few years which was coming as there are only so much you can sell to people before it gets boring.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It's out online alright

Have read it now and the look and tone seems pretty faithful to TNG/DS9/VOY era. Hopefully this bodes well for the upcoming series :)

That's good to hear.

Just on Picard. I wonder are some of the events that happened in ''Voyager'' in season 3 Episode 17 ''Unity'' somehow related to the Borg in ''Picard'' and what has happened to them? Just caught the end of it there on ''Horror Channel'' but have seen it many times before. Worth a watch I think if you have not seen it in a while.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Rawr

Just on Picard. I wonder are some of the events that happened in ''Voyager'' in season 3 Episode 17 ''Unity'' somehow related to the Borg in ''Picard'' and what has happened to them? Just caught the end of it there on ''Horror Channel'' but have seen it many times before. Worth a watch I think if you have not seen it in a while.

I feel it would be wise of them to draw on the many Borg references throughout the TNG era. There's a lot to work with there and if ST:Picard is going to be a Borg-heavy show it would make a lot of sense for them to do that.

I would certainly enjoy it a lot to actually have a new Trek show that references stuff that happened before. It's been a while since we had that....

Forbidden Planet have gone downhill a lot. I used to love going there and remember when half the shop was full of kits from Star Trek and other sci-fi shows. I barely ever go there now its all manga this and that. You would be lucky to find any sci-fi show in there now except Star Wars and even that has suffered in the last few years which was coming as there are only so much you can sell to people before it gets boring.

That's good to hear.

Right??? I used to love buying models in there. Got my enterprise D there way back when.

Now all they have is those super expensive busts from all the franchises and toys.
    I mean I wouldn’t spend €350 on an amazing sculpt of Palpatine sitting in his chair even if I had it. But somebody’s buying them, otherwise they would have dropped it by now

That glass cabinet with all the statues an busts is amazing but kind of obscene too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I like that the STO Odyssey class is now Canon!

It's a nice ship.

star-trek-picard-odyssey-class-verity-1197782.jpeg?auto=webp&width=900&height=692&crop=900:692,smart

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Thought it might be the Enterprise-F (also Odyssey class) for a second, it would be in keeping with Picard in command but looks like it's actually the USS Verify. Warning, spoilers in article: https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Verity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stark wrote: »
    Thought it might be the Enterprise-F (also Odyssey class) for a second, it would be in keeping with Picard in command but looks like it's actually the USS Verify. Warning, spoilers in article: https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Verity
    The Enterprise is mentioned as being under the command of another captain, with Will and Deanna still on the Titan, but no reference to wether it's still the -E or -F

If it was me I'd have used that Admiral's influence to get special dispensation from the Chief of Starfleet Operations to change the name though ;) Hey it worked for Bill Ross and Sisko :p

Advertisement