Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and Mental Health

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭jo2509

mod @jo2509 Please go and read the forum charter. Posters here must have a minimum of 50 posts. Don't post again until you've reached this criteria.

Apologies, posted again before seeing your message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Ladies (and possibly lads), would none of you never message a blogger with your thoughts? Genuine question like.
    I find it interesting that the tone of messages here sounds like people want to, but never do. Why?
    I do it myself i have to say, and as yet, havnt been blocked yet anyway :-) I just think we, as followers, should let these bloggers know what we think or be calling them out on stuff.

Not 100% of the rules, ill go and have a read....are we allowed name names? Theres a blogger who i actually think is brinking on mental health issues, its a bit worrying....although i only have been following her a few months, maybe she is always like that....she had a few facebook pages, recently closed them down cause of back lash....talks with a very weird twang...anyone??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

mel123 wrote: »
    Ladies (and possibly lads), would none of you never message a blogger with your thoughts? Genuine question like.
    I find it interesting that the tone of messages here sounds like people want to, but never do. Why?
    I do it myself i have to say, and as yet, havnt been blocked yet anyway :-) I just think we, as followers, should let these bloggers know what we think or be calling them out on stuff.

Not 100% of the rules, ill go and have a read....are we allowed name names? Theres a blogger who i actually think is brinking on mental health issues, its a bit worrying....although i only have been following her a few months, maybe she is always like that....she had a few facebook pages, recently closed them down cause of back lash....talks with a very weird twang...anyone??

I have been tempted to but considering the trend of "You're a hater. Blocked" it doesn't feel like it'd do much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

It is because people call them out on stuff that you see crocodile tear type posts appearing from these people. So transparent.

Do these bloggers really think that people have that little cop on?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I've been blocked by Rosie Connolly and Just Jordan for snapping them and asking them harmless questions. I've also been blocked from So Sue Me for tagging one of my friends in an Instagram post and putting an eye roll emoji. I didn't even write anything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

@Mel, I was blocked by Rosie for asking about her sunglasses, so I wouldn't be rushing to message another one. You will just be seen as a 'hater' and get blocked. The thing that drives me berserk is that some of these women claim to own 'brands', yet can't even respond to a simple question, they just hit block and move on. It's so disrespectful and hugely unprofessional, in the real world you simply cannot do this. I followed Rosie for quite a while, and had even messaged her to say how good it was to see her use #ad more, and then to be blocked for asking a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

jo2509 wrote: »
    This is what i was trying to say :D

The social anxiety thing is even more dubious... Suffer from social anxiety yet are able to attend events, travel, do TV/newspaper interviews etc etc.

I hate to think that anyone would feign mental health issues, but unfortunately as someone said upthread, i feel with some it is a convenient 'get out of jail card' when things don't go their way.

Yes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

anna080 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is totally off topic and I'm sure it is, but Fairy went on a huge rant today on her Snapchat about body ideals and how online content can affect your mental health in a negative way. If ever I wanted to snap her something, today was the day. She 100% contributes to all that she was giving out about. She manipulates her content to something that doesn't even represent who she is. She filters and photoshops like no other blogger out there. She shows off her body and zooms in on her "progress", snap after snap.
    The image she likes to portray isn't a real one when she uses filters and photoshop like nobody's business.

I was on twitter, and the backlash she is/was receiving was obviously to do with this. If you check out the comments and hashtags (its prob on insta too, im just not on it), you will see people have dragged up some VERY different photos of her, photos that i dont think even photoshop or good contouring could do if you know what i mean. Fillers once, and now they are gone :D:D As other posters have said, be more honest and you'll be more respected. Im not saying she deserved it, but she definitely opened herself up for it all.

http://www.independent.ie/style/beauty/irish-blogger-joanne-larby-opens-up-about-cosmetic-surgery-regrets-35942059.html?utm_content=buffer8823f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I find that Independent article funny. She says she regrets getting her fillers done as she prefers that natural look but then says she will probably get breasts implants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I was on twitter, and the backlash she is/was receiving was obviously to do with this. If you check out the comments and hashtags (its prob on insta too, im just not on it), you will see people have dragged up some VERY different photos of her, photos that i dont think even photoshop or good contouring could do if you know what i mean. Fillers once, and now they are gone :D:D As other posters have said, be more honest and you'll be more respected. Im not saying she deserved it, but she definitely opened herself up for it all.

http://www.independent.ie/style/beauty/irish-blogger-joanne-larby-opens-up-about-cosmetic-surgery-regrets-35942059.html?utm_content=buffer8823f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I went on to twitter to see this backlash and it seems every negative tweet has been removed while she's retweeted loads that say how wonderful she is.
    All that does is show she's only interested in people who agree with her opinions.

Saying she's only had lip fillers once over a year ago is obviously a lie and the drama about "poor me and my huge boobs" when she doesn't have large boobs at all is attention seeking, it really irritates me as there's people who genuinely have problems with this and she just seems to look for issues she doesn't have to get attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

mel123 wrote:
    I was on twitter, and the backlash she is/was receiving was obviously to do with this. If you check out the comments and hashtags (its prob on insta too, im just not on it), you will see people have dragged up some VERY different photos of her, photos that i dont think even photoshop or good contouring could do if you know what i mean. Fillers once, and now they are gone As other posters have said, be more honest and you'll be more respected. Im not saying she deserved it, but she definitely opened herself up for it all.

God I went onto Twitter there to have a look and she is getting a tough time of it by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Live in the public eye and you gotta take all that it brings. If you ain't happy then remove yourself from the public eye and do without all the freebies,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

I just looked up all the Twitter stuff there. She wasn't being cyber-bullied.
    So it started where someone put up a side-by-side pic of Joanne pre lip fillers, against a more recent pic, insinuating that she's still getting fillers done.
    A second person put up an old pic of Joanne where you can see her very pale natural skin, questioning why she always says that she's naturally dark-skinned.

Threats of legal action for sharing pics without her consent - Joanne said the pics where from a private family account. But apparently they were from her old blog. Lol!

Her go-to lately for silencing any discussion she doesn't like is to threaten people with legal action. I'm sure she'll have her legal team onto Boards shortly to shut us all up. :p

Yea she is coming across as very defensive and a lot of people seem to be blocked for saying anything that she doesn't like.
    Morto that the pics were on her blog and she didn't realise. I sense there will be another social media detox and it will last a day or something again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I am actually dying laughing at how sad and pathetic someone would have to be to go find old photos of her with fair skin. That's beyond pathetic, a little weird and very pitiful that someone would go to such extremes to "out" someone for not being naturally sallow. If you're that invested in someone's private life it's time to unfollow.

I am actually dying laughing at how sad and pathetic someone would have to be to go find old photos of her with fair skin. That's beyond pathetic, a little weird and very pitiful that someone would go to such extremes to "out" someone for not being naturally sallow. If you're that invested in someone's private life it's time to unfollow.

I agree Lexie. It's all well and good us discussing what she's said on social media on here, but you'd want to be a particular kind of person to root up old photos in order to ridicule and expose her in a way that has nothing to do with what she was even on about. That was just used as a way of getting a pop at her for cheap likes.
    It's obvious certain people don't like her and are just trying to ridicule her now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

wolfmoon87 wrote:
    Threats of legal action for sharing pics without her consent - Joanne said the pics where from a private family account. But apparently they were from her old blog. Lol!

Any links for us nosebags who dont have twitter? ;-) lol..

Just vindictive,bitter and nasty. But whatever, I'm sure MUF won't lose much sleep about a twitter troll.

I originally agreed but after finding the post that's not the reason at all. They were pointing out that she's completely changed herself while claiming to be "natural". She's created this situation and is now struggling to ordeal with it.

I looked on twitter and found the photos. I'm completely shocked!! It's a massive transformation. Genuinely didn't think it was the same person so perhaps it's not that invasive when a) it was public blog photos and b) she's the one complaining about people pretending to be what they aren't?

Going from a rosy cheeked blonde with thin lips to an olive toned brunette with massive lips takes a lot of work and more than one filler.

Going from a rosy cheeked blonde with thin lips to an olive toned brunette with massive lips takes a lot of work and more than one filler.

Agree. I think the backlash is from followers who feel massively duped by her claims that she is natural bar one filler. No fake tan, no additional fillers, no sun beds! I think it's a case of the Kylie jenners here a bit!
    Why lie tho?! Sure nobody cares what you've got done!

• Advertisement

It is but look at any of the bloggers when they started off and compare now with free trips to gyms, hair and beauty salons and cosmetic clinics. I can't think of one big blogger who hasn't changed. Trawling through the Internet looking for old pictures is odd. To call her out over the tone of her skin lol

laylag wrote: »
    Agree. I think the backlash is from followers who feel massively duped by her claims that she is natural bar one filler. No fake tan, no additional fillers, no sun beds! I think it's a case of the Kylie jenners here a bit!
    Why lie tho?! Sure nobody cares what you've got done!

I don't think the backlash is from fans who feel duped. It's from people who just want to get their spoke in now she's topical on Twitter. They come off looking a bit sad and pathetic, IMO.
    The whole mental health thing wasn't juicy enough for them they wanted to ridicule her.

anna080 wrote:
    I don't think the backlash is from fans who feel duped. It's from people who just want to get their spoke in now she's topical on Twitter. They come off looking a bit sad and pathetic, IMO. The whole mental health thing wasn't juicy enough for them they wanted to ridicule her.

Lol yea it's not something that I'd be spending my days doing myself but she has set herself up for this somewhat by going out of her way to claim all she has had done is one filler a few years ago. It's obviously more than that and yes of course she is entitled to do whatever she likes! But when you're in the public eye and obviously lying people will take you to task on that. I totally agree that rummaging through old pics of hers is more than a bit weird tho!

I hope she does follow it up legally if she said she's going to

Ah come on guys, you don't need to spend 'days' looking for pics of her before, they are very widely available online. She's only getting snotty about it because she has been caught out in her lies, and more people are wise to it now. She has clearly undergone a drastic transformation, and people are noting the before and after. What legal action do you recommend she takes? Those photos were placed on HER blog by HER. If she can't handle people asking her abour her lies, maybe she shouldnt lie???? Come on.

Ray37 wrote:
    Ah come on guys, you don't need to spend 'days' looking for pics of her before, they are very widely available online. She's only getting snotty about it because she has been caught out in her lies, and more people are wise to it now. She has clearly undergone a drastic transformation, and people are noting the before and after. What legal action do you recommend she takes? Those photos were placed on HER blog by HER. If she can't handle people asking her abour her lies, maybe she shouldnt lie???? Come on.

That was just a turn of phrase. I didn't mean. It would take actual days to find the pictures. My comment is stating that I can see why she is getting these questions as it's clear she is lying so we're kind of on the same page here.

Ooops sorry if I picked you up wrong :-) looks like we are indeed on the same page about this x

Yea it's obvious she's had fillers and tans but do ye not think there's something a bit mean girl about those trying to humiliate the woman over it? Like I agree with what ye are saying but imagine actually going to the effort of posting before and after pics of her like it's a bit saddo. Some people get their kicks from stuff like that I guess.

Hey Anna, I don't really, tbh she always blocks and deleted people who ask questions that she percieves as 'hater'ish', and continually tries to fool her audience into believing she is something she isn't. She claims to never wear tan, but is breaking her back lately to promote it. I don't see a problem honestly with calling out a person who lies repeatedly, at all. To each their own, but I don't see an issue here, especially as those pics are from HER own blog ya know?

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    Yea it's obvious she's had fillers and tans but do ye not think there's something a bit mean girl about those trying to humiliate the woman over it? Like I agree with what ye are saying but imagine actually going to the effort of posting before and after pics of her like it's a bit saddo. Some people get their kicks from stuff like that I guess.

See I don't read it as they are trying to humiliate her or that they are haters. I see it as them asking her why she's criticising others for doing the same thing she does herself.

She has low self esteem and wants to change how she looks and people get that - a lot of us feel that way, sure the diet and plastic surgery industries are built on people's insecurities!!
    I think if she was honest and admitted to it and said how she's struggled with wanting to change her look completely people would be kinder and more understanding but instead she's done her usual thing of lashing out, accusing people of stalking her and talking rubbish about legal action. There's no law that says someone can't use publicly available photos to ask a question.

Advertisement