Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and Mental Health

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

To me, just my opinion, it's quite sad to show that level of interest in finding an old photo of a blogger who's made no secret of the fact she's not happy with her appearance. "Kicking a person when they're down" and "bordering on bullying" is two phrases of use to describe the level of effort going into finding old photos purely to "catch her out" for not being olive skin toned. It's really really weird behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Lexie, it's really damaging to use the word 'bully' every time somebody does something you don't necessarily agree with. She is a public figure, who shared those photos of herself (before and after). It's not catching her out, she's already caught herself out by blocking and deleting any question she doesn't like. Asking someone why they are lying is NOT bullying. This word is losing all meaning because of how easily it is thrown around. If people were messaging her saying she was ugly or stupid, THAT would be bullying. Asking her why she claims to be olive skinned when she clearly is not does not make someone a bully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

To me, just my opinion, it's quite sad to show that level of interest in finding an old photo of a blogger who's made no secret of the fact she's not happy with her appearance. "Kicking a person when they're down" and "bordering on bullying" is two phrases of use to describe the level of effort going into finding old photos purely to "catch her out" for not being olive skin toned. It's really really weird behaviour.

I dunno Lexie she was asked why she's claiming not to use tan or sunbeds when clearly she does. She's outright lying to her followers and her business and brand depends on them believing her.
    That's not bullying. Not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I had a look on twitter. She called the person creepy for taking them from a private account, she needs to calm down. I think pictures of her when she was younger look good and it really shows she has had a lot of cosmetic work done when you compare the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have to say, seeing the before and after pics were quite sad. The before Joanne looks like a nice, friendly person, the kind of girl I could see myself being friends with.
    She has totally lost herself in the process of making herself look flawless. The before Joanne is a stunning girl. The after is still obviously gorgeous but looks fake and manufactured and over edited.
    She must be so insecure to not only have done as much to change her appearance, but to also lie about it.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry you feel that my use of the word "bully" is damaging however delibrately setting out to cause shame, hurt or intimidation is actually bullying. Like that or not, that's what bullying is. Why does it matter if she's a public figure? Is it acceptable to question why Beyoncé is less black now than she was before she was famous? It's got little to do with anyone what colour MUFs skin is. She says she's olive skinned, it's not up to anyone else to question her skin colour based on an older picture, that's weird. I'm pale as all hell with a rosey cheek but I have a warm skin tone. Im practically grey I'm so pale but there's a yellow tone to my skin. I'd be thinking wtf if some stranger online rooted out a photo of me in the past with "well actually in this photo you look like you're of cool skin tone".

Fact is, why was that photo posted? Was it posted genuinely to ask a question or was there malice behind it? I find it very hard that anyone could be that bothered by someone's use of sunbeds that they feel it's appropriate to call someone out online for being pale in an old photo. I find it more plausible that was posted to undermine the muf, to ridicule her, to have others turn on her and to cause drama. In my opinion, that is bullying. Just because someone is in the public eye doesn't mean you have free reign on the right to be nasty and that's what's going on here. People jumping on her over the tone of her skin

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I have to say, seeing the before and after pics were quite sad. The before Joanne looks like a nice, friendly person, the kind of girl I could see myself being friends with.
    She has totally lost herself in the process of making herself look flawless. The before Joanne is a stunning girl. The after is still obviously gorgeous but looks fake and manufactured and over edited.
    She must be so insecure to not only have done as much to change her appearance, but to also lie about it.

They were my thoughts too, WR. Gorgeous looking girl. She looked very sweet and vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm sorry you feel that my use of the word "bully" is damaging however delibrately setting out to cause shame, hurt or intimidation is actually bullying. Like that or not, that's what bullying is. Why does it matter if she's a public figure? Is it acceptable to question why Beyoncé is less black now than she was before she was famous? It's got little to do with anyone what colour MUFs skin is. She says she's olive skinned, it's not up to anyone else to question her skin colour based on an older picture, that's weird. I'm pale as all hell with a rosey cheek but I have a warm skin tone. Im practically grey I'm so pale but there's a yellow tone to my skin. I'd be thinking wtf if some stranger online rooted out a photo of me in the past with "well actually in this photo you look like you're of cool skin tone".

Fact is, why was that photo posted? Was it posted genuinely to ask a question or was there malice behind it? I find it very hard that anyone could be that bothered by someone's use of sunbeds that they feel it's appropriate to call someone out online for being pale in an old photo. I find it more plausible that was posted to undermine the muf, to ridicule her, to have others turn on her and to cause drama. In my opinion, that is bullying. Just because someone is in the public eye doesn't mean you have free reign on the right to be nasty and that's what's going on here. People jumping on her over the tone of her skin

Nail on the head Lexie, it was the intent behind it that doesn't sit well with me. The poster didn't actually care about getting a response she just wanted to ridicule her. In fact I think the majority of the conversation took place after Fairy blocked her so it's not as if she was going to be getting any answers.

I don't really know how many times I need to reiterate this. The issues stems from her lying about sunbeds, lip fillers etc. It's blatant. If someone continually lied to you about something, would you just accept it? She is building her career mostly on how she looks, but isn't being honest about herself. I really don't know how many more ways I can explain this. She is lying, people know she is lying, and she is selling an unatainable image to her followers. If you don't see an issue with that, fine, but you should really question how much of what you see from bloggers and influencers is the truth. If people don't ask questions, in all scenerarios, you will have the wool pulled over your eyes. Why do you think she blocks and deletes any comment that isnt a total arse kiss? She's getting nervous now, because people are seeing how much she has changed herself (which nobody would care about if she was honest) and realizing she has been lying for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I feel more sympathy for the young impressionable follows who believe her when she says it's all "natural" (minus the lips) and hold themselves to impossible standards as a result of her lies.

• Advertisement

A quick Google of "joanne larby old picture" throws up a pic of herself and Suzanne Jackson at so she mes first birthday. Suzanne looks like a completely different person. They both do. They're both unrecognisable. Why isn't Suzanne being quizzed on her surgery too? As far as I'm aware she hasn't admitted to having much done at all. It's easier to pick apart someone that's struggling with their self esteem though, isn't it? You'll get more of a reaction from someone like that.

She doesn't owe us or anyone else an explanation as to what she has done. Lots of celebrities have had work done but it's not our god given right to be told what another person is choosing to do with their bodies. You don't lose your right to privacy because someone's decided to follow you on Instagram.

It would be nice if she did talk about any procedures but she's not advertising sunbeds or plastic surgeons so why should she tell us?

Anyone with an eye in their head can see she's had work done, if you're that gullible that her choices on what to do with her body affects you then your probably better off not following her

I don't understand though why you feel like you aren't allowed to ask her? I'm also confused coz you are kind of agreeing that it's all dandy that she lies, repeatedly? I'm not trying to argue at all, a bit of debate is v healthy afterall :-) I just don't really get why you feel like it's fine for someone to lie and lie, but not ok for her followers, who are her source of income, to question that? Geuninely not having a go at you, I suppose we just have very different opinions on this subject

Is it lies though? What is she selling us that is lies? She's telling us she doesn't wear fake tan so it can't be that. She's admitted she's had her lips done, so it can't be that. Tell me, why do you feel so victimised and lied to and hard done by from the choices she's made about her own body?

A quick Google of "joanne larby old picture" throws up a pic of herself and Suzanne Jackson at so she mes first birthday. Suzanne looks like a completely different person. They both do. They're both unrecognisable. Why isn't Suzanne being quizzed on her surgery too? As far as I'm aware she hasn't admitted to having much done at all. It's easier to pick apart someone that's struggling with their self esteem though, isn't it? You'll get more of a reaction from someone like that.

She doesn't owe us or anyone else an explanation as to what she has done. Lots of celebrities have had work done but it's not our god given right to be told what another person is choosing to do with their bodies. You don't lose your right to privacy because someone's decided to follow you on Instagram.

It would be nice if she did talk about any procedures but she's not advertising sunbeds or plastic surgeons so why should she tell us?

Anyone with an eye in their head can see she's had work done, if you're that gullible that her choices on what to do with her body affects you then your probably better off not following her

Lexie I'm not sure if you're deliberately missing the point here.

Muf is constantly saying she doesn't use sunbeds of fake tan when she obviously does.
    She claims not to have had any work done other than lip fillers once "years ago".
    You work in the beauty industry so it might be obvious to you but frankly no it isn't obvious to everyone and people shouldn't have to try and work out if a blogger is lying.

I don't follow so Sue me but I presume if she was outright lying and claiming her look was completely natural she'd be pulled up on it too.

I've mentioned it numerous times in the above posts, so I don't need to again. I was being very civil, but you're getting very cross now. We can agree to disagree, there's no need to get so angry.

I don't see why you're getting personal and bringing my job into this, TBH. But while we're on the subject do you think every client that comes to me in my job has the right to know what cosmetic procedures I have done? Would that be acceptable, for a client to bring an old photo in she found online and quiz me on the fact I'm darker now and why am I denying using sunbeds? I'd find that a) none of their business and b) inappropriate so why is it different for her

Technology that allows people to take infinite, high-quality photographs of themselves, alter them and post only the best of them on the internet has had a massive detrimental impact on the mental wellbeing of girls especially. Girls are way more insecure than they used to be when the only photos people took were with a disposable camera and not all shared on the internet. Interest in and use of make-up has clearly exploded in the last 5 years. Normal girls live under levels of scrutiny which 15 years ago only applied to celebrities and have little choice but to try to cope as best they can with the pressures that result from this. Girls like this blogger (who I have no idea of) obviously contribute to this problem more than most. But she is a victim of the technology and the cultural norms that results from it, along with most other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Wexy86

Why isn't Suzanne being quizzed on her surgery too?

The difference is So Sue doesn't go on her social media platforms and continually say her features are all 100% natural, she chooses to not comment on same which is completely her own choice. Whereas MUF flat out denies having her lips done regularly and hitting the sun beds to maintain her colour. Again not a thing wrong with this but just own it and then everyone can move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

MUF was on snap chat discussing how images of "perfection" she sees online makes her feel insecure herself.
    However she posts heavily edited pictures, states she never uses sunbeds or tan and that she has had no work done when clearly she has had a fair bit done.
    There is no issue with whatever way she gets a tan and in fairness she does have a gorgeous skin tone. Nor is there any issue as to what she chooses to inject into her face..sure it's her face to do with as she chooses.
    The issue for me is the fact that she is complaining about seeing these images online which make her feel insecure all the while she is doing the very same thing to her young followers. And when she is questioned on anything that she doesn't like, her answer is "block" and "delete." I think if she is peddling tan or saying she is all natural, her followers are entitled to ask her about it without getting blocked. She is complaining about something that she is a part of, contributes to and essentially earns part of her income from. Is she the only one? God no! But she is the one complaining about the portrayal of false ideals when she is doing the very same thing.

Anyways I have little else to say on this so that's my 2 cents.

I don't see why you're getting personal and bringing my job into this, TBH. But while we're on the subject do you think every client that comes to me in my job has the right to know what cosmetic procedures I have done? Would that be acceptable, for a client to bring an old photo in she found online and quiz me on the fact I'm darker now and why am I denying using sunbeds? I'd find that a) none of their business and b) inappropriate so why is it different for her

I think I explained why I mentioned your job but I'll say it again - because in your previous post you stated it was obvious she had work done and people should know it or words to that effect, I was simply saying what might be obvious to you because it's your line of work wouldn't be obvious to others.

Muf 's business is as a blogger and is built on her looks and getting people to buy things based on trusting her opinion and that what she's saying is true.
    When she tells her followers that she doesn't use fake tan, doesn't use sunbeds and is naturally that colour they have no reason not to believe her -so to find out that is a lie and she in fact is naturally very pale and must be using *something* artificial to get that colour makes it harder for followers to believe her at all.
    I don't know anything about lip fillers but I find it hard to believe that having it done once years ago changes the shape of your lips forever as she claims is true... But like I said I don't know.

What you're saying here is that it's perfectly acceptable to lie and manipulate her followers to get money and if anyone asks her about it they can be blocked and called a bully or a hater?
    That's very odd tbh.

I don't think there's any point discussing this with you though as you're set in your pov.

• Advertisement

@Notjustsweet you are bang on. Lie all you like (MUF) but don't expect everyone to buy your bull. Not everyone is a gullible sheep who believes everything ANY blogger says. By telling lie after lie, she's only making her reviews less trust worthy, so it's only hurting her image at the end of the day. People are copping on to her now anyway, a huge amount of people are seeing the wood for the trees. One small lie makes it easier to do it more and more.

I think I explained why I mentioned your job but I'll say it again - because in your previous post you stated it was obvious she had work done and people should know it or words to that effect, I was simply saying what might be obvious to you because it's your line of work wouldn't be obvious to others.

Muf 's business is as a blogger and is built on her looks and getting people to buy things based on trusting her opinion and that what she's saying is true.
    When she tells her followers that she doesn't use fake tan, doesn't use sunbeds and is naturally that colour they have no reason not to believe her -so to find out that is a lie and she in fact is naturally very pale and must be using *something* artificial to get that colour makes it harder for followers to believe her at all.
    I don't know anything about lip fillers but I find it hard to believe that having it done once years ago changes the shape of your lips forever as she claims is true... But like I said I don't know.

What you're saying here is that it's perfectly acceptable to lie and manipulate her followers to get money and if anyone asks her about it they can be blocked and called a bully or a hater?
    That's very odd tbh.

I don't think there's any point discussing this with you though as you're set in your pov.
    First of all, I'd just like to make the point how I earn a living is irrelevant so don't see why you feel it's acceptable to bring personal details into this discussion. Moving on from that, I'm not saying it's ok for her to lie at all. I'm saying it's ok for her not to disclose information she doesn't want to share. She works out a lot and is extremely disciplined with her diet. She's made some drastic changes to her body. She regularly states people shouldn't follow her diet as it's tailored to her training. I've never heard her state anything about sunbeds but she is adament that she hasn't worn fake tan in years, and that she has olive skin.
    So some creep/saddo has unearthed a photo of her from years ago and she's pale in it. Like I said, you can still have a warm skin tone and be pale. She has a lot more money now, she goes on many holidays throughout the year. Who's to say she's just not exposed to more sun and tans naturally? We don't know. She might use sunbeds, she might be naturally dark. She's telling us she is and unless I see a photo of her in/leaving a tanning machine, I can't say for certain whether she's lying or telling the truth. Simple fact of the matter is, I don't know.

As for her lips, I took it to mean she hasn't had them done in a year, not that she had them done once a year ago, infact I don't think I've ever heard her say she only had them done once. Depending on the amount and the type of filler used it's quite possible that they haven't dissolved. Your lips never go back to their natural state after lip fillers, some fillers are different and not all fillers dissolve/dissolve completely. Personally I'm not into that look so I have no interest if she gets the done or not - they're not to my taste.

If you feel like she's not genuine, don't buy her products or give her your money. That's a pretty simple solution if you feel your interrogation isn't being answered to your liking, if you don't agree with the brand don't support it.

I understand the points you make that she complains to something she's a huge contributor towards, however, I feel she's quite insecure and has very low self esteem. She clearly is not happy with her body at all and that's going to be her own personal struggle. Yes she's complaining about something she's fed into but she's obviously been striving for perfection for a very long time and I pity her. Nobody deserves to feel unhappy within their own body. Maybe that realisation will help her accept herself more and not feel the need to use such extreme editing on her social media - but she's obviously folding under the pressure and I don't know about you but I wouldn't like to think I contributed to anyone feeling so bad about their own body just because I felt like it's my business whether or not she uses a fake tan.

She's not selling you skin or tan or sunbed sessions.
    She's not selling lipfillers or cosmetic surgery.
    She's not selling or endorsing Botox.

OK well I apologise for mentioning your job if you're unhappy about it. As I said it was because you felt it was obvious that she had work done whereas to a lot of people without your 'eye' it may not be.
    I only know your profession as you mention it on the beauty forums, it's not a personal thing.

I agree MUF must be very insecure but the long and short of it is if she's unhappy with the industry perhaps its time to put down the camera or stop pretending to be someone she isn't.

I saw the comment about the lips and she specifically said she had lip fillers once and only once over a year ago and that was it.

She is selling tan, she was running a tan competition only in the last few days and has been #ad about some tan that she allegedly doesn't even use. Hypocrite much?

I think we have to agree to disagree tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Am I the only one who thinks she has already decided about getting her boobs done? She has to wait till after her comp as wouldn't be able to train so she is going to make it all about mental health now. Also she said she was getting an implant also. Usually with a breast uplift you wouldn't get an implant.
    Regarding her fillers.....i have had fillers. They DO NOT last a year. If so I wouldn't have had to get them done twice already Jesus I wish they would last!!!
    Re tan? I actually think that is her natural colouring. I have a friend who often has dark skin tone all summer. Especially if she gets any bit of sun. She has blonde hair and can look pale in winter.
    Anyway my point is if she wants to put some kind of stop to the cycle she should just come out and say-yeah I get regular fillers. I am getting boob job.
    Suzanne Jackson is gorgeous but she has defo had breasts done and lips. Dosnt claim to be natural but chooses not to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Am I the only one who thinks she has already decided about getting her boobs done? She has to wait till after her comp as wouldn't be able to train so she is going to make it all about mental health now. Also she said she was getting an implant also. Usually with a breast uplift you wouldn't get an implant.
    Yeah I think so too because would her boobs not go back to original size when she puts the weight back on after the competition? She said she will be down to a size 6 for when she is competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

She's not selling you skin or tan or sunbed sessions.
    She's not selling lipfillers or cosmetic surgery.
    She's not selling or endorsing Botox.

I used to follow her on snapchat and when she finally admitted to getting lip fillers, she snapped about going for them (I can't remember did she snap the actual procedure) and gave a discount code to her followers for the place she used!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I used to follow her on snapchat and when she finally admitted to getting lip fillers, she snapped about going for them (I can't remember did she snap the actual procedure) and gave a discount code to her followers for the place she used!
    Recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Recently?
    Oh no probably a good year or two ago, I stopped following her then and that's been a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

It is unfair and wrong to blatantly lie and say 'I'm natural' if that's not the case.

She doesn't have to reveal what she's had done but don't patronise us by saying you haven't had anything except 1 lip filler when it's not true. If that 1 lip filler is lasting so long why does Carla Jackson say she gets hers done every couple of months?!

I disagree also that it's bullying. I did not see the pictures as I am not on Twitter but presenting 2 photos that are obviously different should spark a conversation and might draw other people's attention to it - not everyone is as alert to the fact that work has been done and some people might be influenced into thinking she is natural - as she has stated. If I was a loyal follower and didn't see the old/new pic, I might be hanging onto her word as truth!

Legal action is used as a scare tactic.

• Advertisement

I'm not an expert on different lip filler but there's different types and after even 1 treatment you will never get your natural lips back. They might not look as full or inflated as they once did but you'll never get back to pre filler stage.
    You then have different types of fillers that will react with different people. Some people can't tolerate fillers at all and the fillers will not hold or last. Sometimes the fillers can leave lumps and bumps on a persons lip, sometimes fillers do not dissolve and they're left with ridiculous over inflated lips. In my personal opinion her lips were not enhanced that much in one or two sessions, certainly for your first time I can't imagine a reputable place offering a client over a ml and going from having a very thin upper lip I would say at a guess a ml would have just evened her top lip out with her bottom. So, in my opinion I believe she's had a good few treatments over a relatively short space of time. However I do believe her when she says she hasn't had them done in over a year.

Advertisement