Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'm surprised at Hibbard being cut.

I'm sure it had no bearing on Gatland's choices but I did enjoy watching this gif of Phillips running away from McFadden last week instead of tackling him.

drawpass.gif

Phillips did well there tbh. Didn't commit and create the space for Reddan and Earls. Instead he forced the 3 Irish players into making a decision and the lads ultimately weren't on the same page.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

molloyjh wrote: »
    Phillips did well there tbh. Didn't commit and create the space for Reddan and Earls. Instead he forced the 3 Irish players into making a decision and the lads ultimately weren't on the same page.

I know, but out of context it just looks like he's running away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Yeah, looks a bit funny, but he probably did quite well.
    Still, reminded me of this fella:
    giphy.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Patchell paying the price for the anscombe experiment.

not surprised hibbard returned, his fitness is seriously lacking, spend most of last saturday puffing and walking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is there any fixture list PDF floating around for printing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I've the fixtures in an Excel spreadsheet for a game I'm going to do. Do you want it? I can turn it into a pdf if you want it

Synode wrote: »
    I've the fixtures in an Excel spreadsheet for a game I'm going to do. Do you want it? I can turn it into a pdf if you want it
    Sounds good! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

I've tried this out and it creates a calendar entry for all the games which could be useful too https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/comments/3gg27p/world_cup_calendar_entries_for_outlook_groupwise/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

b.gud wrote: »
    I've tried this out and it creates a calendar entry for all the games which could be useful too https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/comments/3gg27p/world_cup_calendar_entries_for_outlook_groupwise/

Just realised from this that Romania play France on Wednesday 23rd and then play us on Sunday 27th. That's a rough draw.

France play Italy on Sunday 19th as well so have a short turnaround there, although it won't be as big a deal for them. We got lucky with our fixtures. France, Romania and Canada all have short turnarounds of some degree. Although France do have a few extra days on us for the last game.

Just realised from this that Romania play France on Wednesday 23rd and then play us on Sunday 27th. That's a rough draw.

France play Italy on Sunday 19th as well so have a short turnaround there, although it won't be as big a deal for them. We got lucky with our fixtures. France, Romania and Canada all have short turnarounds of some degree. Although France do have a few extra days on us for the last game.

Lower tier nations get the serious short end of the stick, see this diagram for reference

https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/628239021773312000?s=09

• Advertisement

Lower tier nations get the serious short end of the stick, see this diagram for reference

And this one

https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/628251814077571072?s=09

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like Scotland and Oz are now lower tier nations with NZ and SA not far behind. Japan has taken a big boost too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They got it worse last time round but yeah, it's still not good enough. It's completely absurd that the teams least able to play multiple games in short windows are the ones required to do so. If necessary, Ireland could play Romania and Italy over a 5 day window. Romania would be in no position to play Ireland and Italy over the same period.

In general lower tier nations get the serious short end of the stick, see this diagram for reference
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Looks like Scotland and Oz are now lower tier nations with NZ and SA not far behind. Japan has taken a big boost too!

FMP :D

Sounds good! Thanks!

Got it! Merci.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

FMP :D

Ave No. of days for top 10 teams is 21 days, ave for other 10 teams is 20 days so not a major scandal.

Your man has left Uruguay out of his list which I would rank as bigger crime, they've the same number of days as Wales.

I've just noticed Kane Douglas is on the bench for the Wallabies this weekend. I wonder how Australian based players not in the squad feel about someone like him waltzing back into the team after going abroad and, insult to injury, hasn't even played any rugby for months?

I've just noticed Kane Douglas is on the bench for the Wallabies this weekend. I wonder how Australian based players not in the squad feel about someone like him waltzing back into the team after going abroad and, insult to injury, hasn't even played any rugby for months?

Id say they're much happier about Douglas being there than either of the Toulon boys.
    At least Douglas will technically be a reds player during the rwc.

We have a gif we can use for when NZ get knocked out

iWlp7s.gif

http://gfycat.com/AgedCompleteFlee

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Id say they're much happier about Douglas being there than either of the Toulon boys.
    At least Douglas will technically be a reds player during the rwc.

That's true.

Must suck to be someone who plays the same position though and know they basically went and bought out his contract to get him back into the world cup squad with no idea of his fitness rather than give you a chance.

Granted it's possible they've got all the decent players available to them on camp.

That's true.

Must suck to be someone who plays the same position though and know they basically went and bought out his contract to get him back into the world cup squad with no idea of his fitness rather than give you a chance.

Granted it's possible they've got all the decent players available to them on camp.

I think Luke Jones suck at home has the biggest gripe.

France finally remembered to name a team for tomorrow's match with England.

15. Scott Spedding, 14. Sofiane Guitone, 13. Rémi Lamerat, 12. Alexandre Dumoulin, 11. Brice Dulin, 10. François Trinh-Duc, 9. Morgan Parra; 1. Vincent Debaty, 2. Dimitri Szarzewski (c), 3. Nicolas Mas, 4. Yoann Maestri, 5. Alexandre Flanquart, 6. Yannick Nyanga, 7. Fulgence Ouedraogo, 8. Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: 16. Guilhem Guirado, 17. Xavier Chiocci, 18. Uini Atonio, 19. Seb Vahaamahina, 20 Loann Goujon, 21. Rory Kockott, 22. Rémi Tales, 23. Gael Fickou

France finally remembered to name a team for tomorrow's match with England.

15. Scott Spedding, 14. Sofiane Guitone, 13. Rémi Lamerat, 12. Alexandre Dumoulin, 11. Brice Dulin, 10. François Trinh-Duc, 9. Morgan Parra; 1. Vincent Debaty, 2. Dimitri Szarzewski (c), 3. Nicolas Mas, 4. Yoann Maestri, 5. Alexandre Flanquart, 6. Yannick Nyanga, 7. Fulgence Ouedraogo, 8. Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: 16. Guilhem Guirado, 17. Xavier Chiocci, 18. Uini Atonio, 19. Seb Vahaamahina, 20 Loann Goujon, 21. Rory Kockott, 22. Rémi Tales, 23. Gael Fickou

Trin-Duc !!!!!!!!!!

Parra !!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

One thing the rest of the rugby world could do without would be France finding form just before the beginning of the world cup. I'm starting to worry about them.

One thing the rest of the rugby world could do without would be France finding form just before the beginning of the world cup. I'm starting to worry about them.

There were jokes doing the rounds earlier that they weren't actually going to name a team and just put out the first 15 players that got off the bus. :D

France are one of those teams, just as likely to win the World Cup as they are to fall over their own feet and lose to Romania.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/628239021773312000?s=09

i dont understand why they dont allow the bottom ranked teams in each group to play a week before the 'real' opening game so to speak. Surely in this day and age something can be done to help the lower ranked teams to develop.

Romania are currently playing their first warmup match at the moment against Yorkshire Carnagie. So. .. yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Trin-Duc !!!!!!!!!!

Parra !!!!!!!!!!

I swear to feck if they get picked against us...

.ak wrote: »
    I swear to feck if they get picked against us...

We'll still beat them. We're a better team, better coached and more driven with better or equal talent.

We've the easiest group in the tournament and when we hammer France we'll prove it.

We'll still beat them. We're a better team, better coached and more driven with better or equal talent.

We've the easiest group in the tournament and when we hammer France we'll prove it.

I would say South Africa have the easiest pool.

• Advertisement

I would say South Africa have the easiest pool.

That depends on whether your Scottish, Samoan or South African.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah NZ clearly have the easiest.

.ak wrote: »
    Ah NZ clearly have the easiest.

Only from their perspective. Really we only have France to deal with, I'd rather that than have Australia, NZ or SA in our group so out of the NH teams were doing by far the best.

I'm totally bought into the Joe Show, and I have complete faith in the sheer quality of our team. We're going to well beat France and squeaky bum time is going to be on hold until late into the semi final when we out class either England or Australia.

Our RWC final against NZ is going to be made into a film about how it began the reunification between the north and the republic with Morgan Freeman playing Enda Kenny.

Believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Only from their perspective. Really we only have France to deal with, I'd rather that than have Australia, NZ or SA in our group so out of the NH teams were doing by far the best.

I'm totally bought into the Joe Show, and I have complete faith in the sheer quality of our team. We're going to well beat France and squeaky bum time is going to be on hold until late into the semi final when we out class either England or Australia.

Our RWC final against NZ is going to be made into a film about how it began the reunification between the north and the republic with Morgan Freeman playing Enda Kenny.

Believe.

You had me up til Morgan Freeman...

Adam Sandler surely a better bet!

kuang1 wrote: »

With Adam Sandler also playing his wife Fionnuala O'Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

kuang1 wrote: »

Far better bet!

image_zps8xytyngc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Romania are currently playing their first warmup match at the moment against Yorkshire Carnagie. So. .. yeah.

That really states the real popularity of rugby by looking at how certain countries are warming up for the world cup. A shame that rugby isn't more popular in other countries like Spain and Germany.

Coburger wrote: »
    That really states the real popularity of rugby by looking at how certain countries are warming up for the world cup. A shame that rugby isn't more popular in other countries like Spain and Germany.

I would imagine it's more a financial reason rather than not having other options. Playing against Spain, Holland or some of the lower tier European teams would be an option, but maybe it's logistics and finances that dictate their warm up games.

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would imagine it's more a financial reason rather than not having other options. Playing against Spain, Holland or some of the lower tier European teams would be an option, but maybe it's logistics and finances that dictate their warm up games.

Seems a shame though that they can't even get a match against one of the Premiership or Pro 12 teams. Canada, I think, have a match against Glasgow in their warm up period. Granted it's a Glasgow side without their international players, but it's still a step up from Yorkshire Carnegie.

It ended 10-10, by the way.

Seems a shame though that they can't even get a match against one of the Premiership or Pro 12 teams. Canada, I think, have a match against Glasgow in their warm up period. Granted it's a Glasgow side without their international players, but it's still a step up from Yorkshire Carnegie.

It ended 10-10, by the way.

Rugby in Romania seems to have stagnated a little, where as Georgia appear to be making progress, they're going no where fast. I'm surprised though they couldn't have arranged a match in England with one of the other lower tier teams as part of their warm up.

• Advertisement

Rugby in Romania seems to have stagnated a little, where as Georgia appear to be making progress, they're going no where fast. I'm surprised though they couldn't have arranged a match in England with one of the other lower tier teams as part of their warm up.

I've just looked it up there and it seems Romania are playing Edinburgh next weekend, so that's at least a small step up. Last warm up match is against Tonga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Pica moles looks like a man who's been having dodgy belly issues for a fortnight. He's a shell of his former self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Georgia have dominated European rugby below 6 nations for past few years Romanian rugby hasn't stagnated just not s strong as Georgians. They have game against Tonga as Tickle_me_elmo says but its a great shame likes of Ireland, Scotland, Wales etc haven't don't more than simply had a mini 6 nations tournament this month and played sides who may be slightly similar to world cup pool opposition as its not like(on basis of attendance in Aviva today) that crowds would not have came in if we were playing "tier 2" sides

Georgia have dominated European rugby below 6 nations for past few years Romanian rugby hasn't stagnated just not s strong as Georgians. They have game against Tonga as Tickle_me_elmo says but its a great shame likes of Ireland, Scotland, Wales etc haven't don't more than simply had a mini 6 nations tournament this month and played sides who may be slightly similar to world cup pool opposition as its not like(on basis of attendance in Aviva today) that crowds would not have came in if we were playing "tier 2" sides

If Ireland had been playing Georgia or the likes in warm ups they would have had to charge a reasonable fee for tickets and probably would have got a better turnout.

It's a shame the Tier 2 sides don't have a better quality 6 Nations style championship themselves. After Georgia and Romania it's a pretty steep drop in quality to the next European sides.

If Ireland had been playing Georgia or the likes in warm ups they would have had to charge a reasonable fee for tickets and probably would have got a better turnout.

It's a shame the Tier 2 sides don't have a better quality 6 Nations style championship themselves. After Georgia and Romania it's a pretty steep drop in quality to the next European sides.
    They wouldn't have to charge a reasonable fee? Why would they have to charge more for a Georgian game
    Tier 2 sides have European nations cup. Standards always going up. Georgia are good margin ahead of rest and the next 2/3 sides Romania are about same level. The tier 2 sides have European nations cup. Played same time as 6Ns.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The SA v Argentina game is hard watching - SA in white, and Argentina in their traditional blue and white stripes

They wouldn't have to charge a reasonable fee? Why would they have to charge more for a Georgian game
    Tier 2 sides have European nations cup. Standards always going up. Georgia are good margin ahead of rest and the next 2/3 sides Romania are about same level. The tier 2 sides have European nations cup. Played same time as 6Ns.

Did you read my post?

I said they would have to charge a reasonable fee.

I know there's a European Nations Cup but, as I said, the drop in quality from Georgia/Romania to the other teams is pretty big. It's better than not playing at all but it doesn't seem to be doing much for the other nations development.

Did you read my post?

I said they would have to charge a reasonable fee.

I know there's a European Nations Cup but, as I said, the drop in quality from Georgia/Romania to the other teams is pretty big. It's better than not playing at all but it doesn't seem to be doing much for the other nations development.
    Which prices for these games are unreasonable? 15-60 and schoolboy/girl tickets a tenner. What would be reasonable to change from those prices
    How would you propose improving quality without European nations cup? How else are Germany, Russia etc going to improve without playing Georgia. It is doing ok for the other nations but Georgia are simply beating all.

Which prices for these games are unreasonable? 15-60 and schoolboy/girl tickets a tenner. What would be reasonable to change from those prices
    How would you propose improving quality without European nations cup? How else are Germany, Russia etc going to improve without playing Georgia. It is doing ok for the other nations but Georgia are simply beating all.

Again, I wonder if you've actually read my post?

Firstly, tickets for today's match were between €40-70. Fairly steep for a warm up match between a second/third string Ireland team and a second string Scotland team.

Was it two November's ago tickets for the match against Georgia were €20? That seems reasonable.

I said it's a shame the Tier 2 Nations Cup wasn't of better quality. Not that they should do away with it. Georgia and Romania can't be getting much good from it if there's no real challenge from anyone. It's a shame the quality of the other teams is not better, is what I said. Obviously it's good for the other nations that are still developing but Georgia and Romania, to a degree, would benefit more from having better quality teams to play against other than just at a World Cup and the occasional Autumn International.

• Advertisement

Again, I wonder if you've actually read my post?

Firstly, tickets for today's match were between €40-70. Fairly steep for a warm up match between a second/third string Ireland team and a second string Scotland team.

Was it two November's ago tickets for the match against Georgia were €20? That seems reasonable.

I said it's a shame the Tier 2 Nations Cup wasn't of better quality. Not that they should do away with it. Georgia and Romania can't be getting much good from it if there's no real challenge from anyone. It's a shame the quality of the other teams is not better, is what I said. Obviously it's good for the other nations that are still developing but Georgia and Romania, to a degree, would benefit more from having better quality teams to play against other than just at a World Cup and the occasional Autumn International.
    A game against Georgia compared to Scotland will always be priced differently and as these games will be very different to games in November against T2 sides..
    How do you propose more games for those sides to play higher quality of games. Theyre getting Autumn internationals and summer games against T1 sides. No other time for games. Georgia wont ever play 6 nations as there isn't the space in season for them to play expanded 6Ns. It would benefit Georgia etc to play more but they are playing more t1 sides with new IRB schedule

Advertisement