Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

Wales v Ireland this weekend isn't on anywhere except BBC Wales. Think you can get it on Sky under other channels. BBC Wales streams Pro 12 matches online so hopefully they'll stream this too.

Does anyone have any idea of anywhere in or near Portlaoise that will show the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

It's far too early to be doing that now surely for a tournament in the Autumn. As for team from high altitudes having an advantage in the lowlands... Compare Bolivia's football results home and away.
    Think its a lot of mindgames. Our regime is more brutal than your regime. I read All Blacks do 7 quality hours a week. Typical sessions might be one hour. Players have freedom to work on programs in their own time. Wales would be better off doing nothing but skills work, their biggest deficit on the SH teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It's far too early to be doing that now surely for a tournament in the Autumn. As for team from high altitudes having an advantage in the lowlands... Compare Bolivia's football results home and away.

Bolivia & Ecuador are both a lot better at home than away, but it's more to do with other teams being worse at that height than them. The vast majority of their players play in Europe, presumably at lower altitudes and you don't see them smashing it up.

At the end of the day, the better team is more likely to win, perhaps that extra physical edge is more of a factor in rugby than football but I would say it's minimal at best.

Preparation is key but I have faith in Joe in that regard.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There's been a couple of articles about the training with Irish players this past week and they all kind of say the same thing. The sessions are pretty brutal but they see no need to go abroad to do them.

Luke Fitzgerald mentions the altitude thing too...

http://www.the42.ie/luke-fitzgerald-pre-season-ireland-recovery-2015-2244131-Aug2015/

Andrew Trimble
    http://www.the42.ie/andrew-trimble-world-cup-2249476-Aug2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Ciprianis chances of staying in the WC squad looks to have got a bit of a boost

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/world-cup/danny-cipriani-free-to-play-at-world-cup-after-drinkdrive-charge-decision-is-put-on-hold-31425308.html

I'm sure there were absolutely no outside factors in him being re-bailed until just after the tournament ends :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

^ It'll be interesting to see if Cipriani gets picked. They've given the players a list of rules on how to behave on social media and all that kind of thing, presumably in an effort to keep negative press away, so it would be pretty odd to then pick a player who is on bail for drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Don't hate on Cipriani. His last incident led to this gem of a post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84320643&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Fiji won the Pacific Nations Cup this morning, 39-29 from Samoa. Australia, England, Wales, Fiji and Uruguay has to be the toughest pool in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

matthew8 wrote: »
    Fiji won the Pacific Nations Cup this morning, 39-29 from Samoa. Australia, England, Wales, Fiji and Uruguay has to be the toughest pool in history.

I don't fancy Australia's chances at all

In other Pacific Nations Cup news, Canada are beyond terrible. Wonder what kind of team we'll go with there? A B team would beat them handily but should we start the A team and ring the changes in 2nd half or start the B team and have some A players in reserv on the bench just in case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wales only have themselves to blame for playing that game outside the international window and dropping down in the seedings!

The game was against Australia wasn't it? So one of them is going to regret it at least I'd imagine (unless England fail to make it out of the group stages at their own World Cup!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Wales only have themselves to blame for playing that game outside the international window and dropping down in the seedings!

The game was against Australia wasn't it? So one of them is going to regret it at least I'd imagine (unless England fail to make it out of the group stages at their own World Cup!)

I could see Wales failing to make it personally. They've struggled against SH opposition generally and didn't they only just about manage to beat Fiji in MS in the last AIs?

molloyjh wrote: »
    I could see Wales failing to make it personally. They've struggled against SH opposition generally and didn't they only just about manage to beat Fiji in MS in the last AIs?

Yes but they have a hell of a coach who seems to consistently get them to peak at the right times (as we've found out so many times).

We could quite easily see a situation where Australia beat Wales, Wales beat England and England beat Australia!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In other Pacific Nations Cup news, Canada are beyond terrible. Wonder what kind of team we'll go with there? A B team would beat them handily but should we start the A team and ring the changes in 2nd half or start the B team and have some A players in reserv on the bench just in case?

Do we want to risk another Georgia ?

Do we want to risk another Georgia ?

Do you mean risk another Georgia by starting the A team?

Do you mean risk another Georgia by starting the A team?

We really only had an A team at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yes but they have a hell of a coach who seems to consistently get them to peak at the right times (as we've found out so many times).

We could quite easily see a situation where Australia beat Wales, Wales beat England and England beat Australia!

True. You'd have to look at the team with the most depth and how they may fare against Fiji and Uruguay because they can't afford to play a full strength side in 4 pool games. And it's hard to know which of those 3 has the depth to make a difference. England maybe?

The single biggest issue Oz had against the Lions was a lack of depth and Gatland for all his positives tends to have his list of favourites and few others get a look in. It's such a tough pool to call and Fiji could very easily have a deciding say in who gets out every bit as much as the the big 3 in the pool. Should make for fascinating viewing.

True. You'd have to look at the team with the most depth and how they may fare against Fiji and Uruguay because they can't afford to play a full strength side in 4 pool games. And it's hard to know which of those 3 has the depth to make a difference. England maybe?

The single biggest issue Oz had against the Lions was a lack of depth and Gatland for all his positives tends to have his list of favourites and few others get a look in. It's such a tough pool to call and Fiji could very easily have a deciding say in who gets out every bit as much as the the big 3 in the pool. Should make for fascinating viewing.

Yup - this is going to be the issue for Australia and Wales and it may come down to who weathers the warm ups and pools that bit better. I would go so far as to say that Wales are almost at crisis point in some positions and if neither North nor Williams get back fit in time they are in serious trouble in the backs and not fairing that much better in the forwards with massive reliance on 2 - 3 players.

I don't know as much about Australia's back up options but they are recalling Kane Douglas who wouldn't be within an arses roar of the Irish team so maybe that is telling. They've potentially lost Genia and Cooper seems to be as daft as ever so they could have real instability at the half backs.

England despite the fact that they have a young and in places mediocre squad, have plenty of depth to rely upon and if the group comes down to points I feel this will give them an edge.

Such an exciting pool and having the host nation in there makes it even better.

Australia's problem will be with their place kicking. It doesn't matter so much in their Rugby Championship games because they tend to score tries but playing two of the best Northern Hemisphere teams, who will both have home support, could be the kind of games where it comes down to 2 or 3 points and the way Australia are kicking they'll lose both those matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

This group will cause a very high attrition rate for all 5 teams. So whereas a few months back I thought Australia were a bit of a value each-way bet for the tournament, I don't any more. Regardless of who comes out of this group, I feel they're gonna be too battered and bruised to make it all the way, or even past the semis.

• Advertisement

This group will cause a very high attrition rate for all 5 teams. So whereas a few months back I thought Australia were a bit of a value each-way bet for the tournament, I don't any more. Regardless of who comes out of this group, I feel they're gonna be too battered and bruised to make it all the way, or even past the semis.

Or battle hardened.

Leinster always seemed to benefit from tough groups at the knock out stages of the Heineken Cup, albeit I appreciate the differing time lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Or battle hardened.

Leinster always seemed to benefit from tough groups at the knock out stages of the Heineken Cup, albeit I appreciate the differing time lines.
    Totally different though, as you say yourself. H Cup played over 6+ months. Group stages played over 4 months with breaks. World cup is Canada, Romania then 5 very high intensity tests in a row. No break.

Totally different though, as you say yourself. H Cup played over 6+ months. Group stages played over 4 months with breaks. World cup is Canada, Romania then 5 very high intensity tests in a row. No break.
    I agree with your point, but I think we potentially have the easiest run to a semi of all the teams in the tournament. (Assuming we top our group)
    I was referring to pool A; to qualify top of that group is gonna be some feat. But I can't see that happening without the winner's injury list being sizable.
    (And as was pointed out earlier, the winner of that group may not necessarily have won all 4 pool matches.)

Btw is the bonus point system in operation for the WC? I assume no?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Btw is the bonus point system in operation for the WC? I assume no?

It is. Could make Pool A very interesting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is. Could make Pool A very interesting.

Finalists France only qualified for the quarter finals ahead of Tonga because of bonus points last time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Jaysus that's right...

Well not that it was needed but that's tweaked my interest even more...how long to go??!!!

Tick tock.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Finalists France only qualified for the quarter finals ahead of Tonga because of bonus points last time round.

How did I forget that...:o

How did I forget that...:o

I really hope that France shows up this year, because we will top the group and then they will knock out New Zealand for everyone!

I thought about having a bet on France. 20-1 seems a fair price seeing as they're equally as likely to win it all as they are to lose to Italy and not make it out of the pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

I really hope that France shows up this year, because we will top the group and then they will knock out New Zealand for everyone!
    Can't see Ireland beating France ..... looking back on how this season's game panned out in the 6N. [Second half]

It'll be an Ireland / NZ quarter final ...... and Ireland will have to break new ground to progress.

Advertisement