Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I personally can't see a good France turning up.

Look what England did to them. It was an entertaining game and everything, but England hammered them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Be interesting to see how the French warm up games go, see if they are any closer to playing like a team. I would favour us to beat the French on form but it will be a close match.

Can't see Ireland beating France ..... looking back on how this season's game panned out in the 6N. [Second half]

It'll be an Ireland / NZ quarter final ...... and Ireland will have to break new ground to progress.

Yeah it's hard to see how Ireland could beat France having not lost to them since the warm up games in 2011 and beating them the last two times we played them. I just can't see it. Hope we can come up with something against the All Blacks.

Seriously though, I'm not confident of beating them - but there is no reason why we couldn't and it wouldn't surprise me if on the day we were favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Can't see Ireland beating France ..... looking back on how this season's game panned out in the 6N. [Second half]

It'll be an Ireland / NZ quarter final ...... and Ireland will have to break new ground to progress.

Can't see us beating France? Really? Strange comment. France have shown nothing over the last couple of seasons and haven't beaten us in years. Of course, they may do, I could see how they might (:p) but we're definite favourites to top the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Yeah it's hard to see how Ireland could beat France having not lost to them since the warm up games in 2011 and beating them the last two times we played them. I just can't see it. Hope we can come up with something against the All Blacks.

Seriously though, I'm not confident of beating them - but there is no reason why we couldn't and it wouldn't surprise me if on the day we were favourites.
    Obviously Ireland are perfectly capable of beating them ...... but I have a sneaky feeling that it won't happen. IMO recent results don't really matter with such evenly matched sides.

Also I don't agree with previous poster's opinion that France won't turn up. They will and they will be very direct against Ireland which may be difficult to counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It would be perfectly French for them to rock up and give us a pasting. They certainly have the form for it. We've yet to see how well this Ireland team can do fighting back from behind. The Welsh game exposed some of that.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It would phenomenally surprise me if we weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It would phenomenally surprise me if we weren't.

We're heavy favourites to top the group, which is essentially the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I have a dream.....

Twickenham Stadium 31st Oct 2015.
    RWC Final:Ireland vs New Zealand.
    After a tense close game... Ireland score in the last minute to beat New Zealand for the 1st time and win the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Agent J wrote: »
    I have a dream.....

After a tense close game... John Hayes scores in the last minute to beat New Zealand for the 1st time and win the RWC.

Completely agree, yeah.

• Advertisement

Completely agree, yeah.

Except in your version of the dream Ireland's third best prop of the professional era, John Hayes, comes thundering off the bench to score the match winning try running the ball from outside the NZ 22, side stepping Ma'a-Nonu, fends McCaw and just steam-rolls over Carter as if he was ROG and Swan Dives over the line making the shape of a giant M with his arms as he touches the ball down.

Agent J wrote: »
    I have a dream.....

After a tense close game... John Hayes score in the last minute to beat New Zealand for the 1st time and win the RWC.

Completely agree, yeah.

FECK

Hadn't read your edit. Ah I'll leave it stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Obviously Ireland are perfectly capable of beating them ...... but I have a sneaky feeling that it won't happen. IMO recent results don't really matter with such evenly matched sides.

Also I don't agree with previous poster's opinion that France won't turn up. They will and they will be very direct against Ireland which may be difficult to counter.

France will have more time together than they've ever had before so will almost certainly be a more difficult prospect during the RWC. But you simply can't write off the fact that they haven't beaten us in 4 years, 2 of which were as poor as we've been for a long time. We've proven to be a very hard team to beat and I'd back us to win it, but only just. I can see it being a very tense affair.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

France also tend to get better as a tournament goes on. Look at their Six Nations this year. Okay they lost to England but they played so much better than they did against us or Wales.

France also tend to get better as a tournament goes on. Look at their Six Nations this year. Okay they lost to England but they played so much better than they did against us or Wales.

From an attacking point of view yes, but then that had as much to do with how open England made it in their chase for points. Defensively they were muck on that last day. They still have issues with their coach and his selections though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I wouldn't put it past one of the minnows beating France tbh.

Naturally they'll play their best against us though.

.ak wrote: »
    I wouldn't put it past one of the minnows beating France tbh.

Come on Italy!

Interestingly - I wonder who NZ would rather face. For some reason I reckon they would still prefer us!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, I doubt they pay much attention to the 6N (and if they do they won't see much to scare them) so it'll be the team that has never ever beaten them or the one that always seems to pull a huge game out of the bag when playing NZ for high stakes.

Yeah, I doubt they pay much attention to the 6N (and if they do they won't see much to scare them)

Well given their coach was commenting on the play style of NH teams during the 6N so I doubt they are completely ignoring it either.
    so it'll be the team that has never ever beaten them or the one that always seems to pull a huge game out of the bag when playing NZ for high stakes.

That's head / heart stuff though. It's hard to ignore the quality of the French but that doesn't mean we should ignore their results the last few years and I doubt the NZ team would either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

Yeah, I doubt they pay much attention to the 6N (and if they do they won't see much to scare them) so it'll be the team that has never ever beaten them or the one that always seems to pull a huge game out of the bag when playing NZ for high stakes.

http://www.allblacks.com/News/26797/nine-things-the-all-blacks-might-have-noticed-about-the-six-nations At least one person involved with the allblacks is keeping an eye on the 6N

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

molloyjh wrote: »
    From an attacking point of view yes, but then that had as much to do with how open England made it in their chase for points. Defensively they were muck on that last day. They still have issues with their coach and his selections though.

agreed.... they have a dead duck as coach who, for all intents and purposes has lost the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

sydthebeat wrote: »
    agreed.... they have a dead duck as coach who, for all intents and purposes has lost the dressing room.

Well, we might see the classic 'player lead France coup' again in this RWC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Vive la révolution!

im not sure they have the natural leaders they had in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Interestingly - I wonder who NZ would rather face. For some reason I reckon they would still prefer us!

Thats an interesting question. Based on history, the ABs would rather face Ireland. If you looked at recent/current form, they would rather play France.

Personally I would like the ABs to face France in the quarters. That we get vengeance for 2007 and then get to beat Ireland in the final:D

im not sure they have the natural leaders they had in 2011.

Yeah all I can think of here is Pape going mental at Thomas (?) for not catching his forward pass on Thomas debut.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah all I can think of here is Pape going mental at Thomas (?) for not catching his forward pass on Thomas debut.

parra and trinh duc would be, but they probably wont be on the field.
    Dusautoir is probably the only one with the leadership that will be playing that could do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

parra and trinh duc would be, but they probably wont be on the field.

It's a complete and utter joke at this stage that they won't be. Even when Lièvremont was in charge the two of them saved France many a time. I could possibly accept someone being someone being preferred to Parra, not that I'd advise it, but Trinh-Duc not being in the first XV is just insane given how far ahead he is of France's other options at 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Canada have cut their squad to 35
    http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsletter.cfm?clientID=3817&leagueID=0&page=89428
    They play USA and Glasgow in Canada on August 22nd/29th before they cut the squad to 31 on August 31st
    They will then face Georgia on September 2nd and Fiji on September 6th, both games taking place in England.

Advertisement