Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

England were supposed to be announcing their first round of cuts this evening but no sign yet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

England were supposed to be announcing their first round of cuts this evening but no sign yet.

Bit strange to make cuts before even playing one warm up? Unless you're 100% sure on players who aren't making the final squad.

Bit strange to make cuts before even playing one warm up? Unless you're 100% sure on players who aren't making the final squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33829760

Ashton cut.

"Fellow wings Marland Yarde and Semesa Rokoduguni also miss out, along with scrum-half Lee Dickson and centre Kyle Eastmond.
    Prop Matt Mullan and flanker Matt Kvesic are the two forwards dropped as England cut their squad to 39 players."

No real surprises there, I rate Eastmond but don't think he had a proper shot, Semesa I guess (injury he had right?) came at the wrong time. Others were looking sharper.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Won't have to suffer any of those swan dives at least. :)

No Ashton, No Hartley..... I'll have to focus all my hate on Owen Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

I've always disliked chris ashton, more than most but I have to admit I do feel for the guy. In recent interviews he comes across as actually quite a down to earth guy that has reigned it in since when he was at his most hateable...can't imagine what that fall from grace must feel like... being the best then considered in the same level as yarde and rokoduguni with nowell and johnny may ahead of you. grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

No Ashton, No Hartley..... I'll have to focus all my hate on Owen Farrell.

Sure there's always Mike Brown as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Is English Lurker around? I'd like to hear what he makes of these cuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I've never understood the dislike of Ashton. Seems like a decent bloke.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nor I Mike Brown. Has he got some previous or is it just the scowl?

Sure there's always Mike Brown as well
    Nor I Mike Brown. Has he got some previous or is it just the scowl?

Other than his whinging about England not winning the 6 Nations this year I don't know he's ever done anything to put him up there with Hartley and co.

I've never understood the dislike of Ashton. Seems like a decent bloke.

Yeah he comes across sound enough but the swan diving in instances like the connacht game a season or so ago when they were 8 tries up really makes him look like a proper Wang Ker.

He also unfortunately suffers from punchable resting face, not to be confused with bitchy resting face and I think we all had a kid in school we hated that had that same stupid head on them.

It certainly doesn't help that he bares a slight resemblance to that other bell end Dylan Hartley and finally he plays for Saracens... say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

In only other game today Namibia had a 46-13 win over Kenya in Windhoek today....

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

In only other game today Namibia had a 46-13 win over Kenya in Windhoek today....

Ah the old classic!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dunno if it's been posted but Jean De Villiers suffered a fractured jaw in the SA vs Argentina game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Wonder what the recovery time for that will be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

stephen_n wrote: »
    Wonder what the recovery time for that will be.

At best four weeks according to the BBC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'd say he's praying for the best, would be a big loss for the saffrrs!

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    I'd say he's praying for the best, would be a big loss for the saffrrs!

And for him too, wasn't he going to retire after the RWC?

Stheno wrote: »
    And for him too, wasn't he going to retire after the RWC?

Yeah.

He can still do most of the training with the team, they've said. Obviously not any contact stuff.

I don't know that he'd be looking at anything more than a spot on the bench anyway. Kriel and de Allande have been really good in the centre for SA so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yeah.

He can still do most of the training with the team, they've said. Obviously not any contact stuff.

I don't know that he'd be looking at anything more than a spot on the bench anyway. Kriel and de Allande have been really good in the centre for SA so far.

I think rightly or wrongly Meyer would have picked him, but tbh I think the SA team is better off without him.

I think rightly or wrongly Meyer would have picked him, but tbh I think the SA team is better off without him.

He should probably be in the squad that travels, assuming he's fit, even just for his leadership and experience but to think he can step right back into the starting lineup is a bit too much. As I said Kriel has been phenomenal at 13 for them and he seems to have a good thing going with de Allende beside him. JdV stepping in there in either position would kill any momentum they had.

South Africa are lucky in that they have a relatively easy group. Samoa will probably be a physical match and Scotland might challenge them a bit but realistically they should be finishing top of their group and by the time their last match (USA) comes around they should be able to give their main players a rest. So it's not inconceivable that JdV could get a decent run out at the WC but I can't see how he could be anything other than back up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He should probably be in the squad that travels, assuming he's fit, even just for his leadership and experience but to think he can step right back into the starting lineup is a bit too much. As I said Kriel has been phenomenal at 13 for them and he seems to have a good thing going with de Allende beside him. JdV stepping in there in either position would kill any momentum they had.

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm not trying to make an argument for him to start. I'm saying I think Meyer would have picked him.

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm not trying to make an argument for him to start. I'm saying I think Meyer would have picked him.

I know what you're saying, sorry, I was just expanding on my thought process :D

England have brought forward naming the team to play France to tomorrow. No idea why. Maybe they want France to go easy on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Clearly diversionary activity to stop everyone getting worried by the news that Australia now have a pack.

Clearly diversionary activity to stop everyone getting worried by the news that Australia now have a pack.

Has to be said, Australia's performance yesterday has added a bit of extra bite to that group. Whilst Wales were dire on Saturday, they are a first choice 15 team with poor depth but their first choice 15 is much more solid and could well turn Ireland over in the Aviva in two weeks time and if they do it cements that group as perhaps the toughest group in World Cup History.

• Advertisement

I was worried about Australia after their first two Rugby Championship matches, they won them, but there was a bit of luck involved. They looked very good against NZ though. Still need to sort out their backs though, 9/10 in particular.

Advertisement