Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

England team for France match.

CMD0Vj4VEAECwwt.png

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

:mad::mad: calum clark :mad::mad:

sydthebeat wrote: »

And here I was worried there's be nobody left to hate with Hartley and Ashton gone.

And here I was worried there's be nobody left to hate with Hartley and Ashton gone.

Doubt he makes the plane tbh so wouldn't worry too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Meh if worst comes to worst you can focus on farrell.

Ashton may just act like a dick. Clark is nothing but a thug

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sydthebeat wrote: »

Jaysis lads ye are indoctrinating me well

I saw the name and went "isn't that the arm breaker"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The Burgess experiment continues.

stephen_n wrote: »
    The Burgess experiment continues.

Didn't he convert to blindside flanker for Bath?

Didn't he convert to blindside flanker for Bath?

He was tried at 12, I think, for a bit but didn't work out, has been playing flanker most of the season, quite well too by all accounts. Apparently Lancaster only wants him at centre though, not interested in him otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Decent pack. Not so sure about the backs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Has to be said, Australia's performance yesterday has added a bit of extra bite to that group. Whilst Wales were dire on Saturday, they are a first choice 15 team with poor depth but their first choice 15 is much more solid and could well turn Ireland over in the Aviva in two weeks time and if they do it cements that group as perhaps the toughest group in World Cup History.

You say extra bite; I say it's as welcome as opening the door to see your mother-in-law on the doorstep with her suitcase in one hand and a gimp on a leash in the other.

I was blithely confident in the belief we could beat up Australia and Wales up front and neither has the backs to have a really good crack at it once that's happened. If we can't do that to Australia, then we're probably going to lose the breakdown, and we can't kick because of Folau and our shoddy kickchase, and all of a sudden the result looks very much in doubt.

As for Wales, I'm not really paying attention to them yet, we'll see when the big boys come out - as you say, they could turn over Ireland in the Aviva, although probably odds against. Their front row is not a blessing at the moment. Be interesting to see how they defend the blind side next time... no, wait, sorry, *whether* they defend the blind side next time.

Tough group? Bah. DO NOT WANT.
    He was tried at 12, I think, for a bit but didn't work out, has been playing flanker most of the season, quite well too by all accounts. Apparently Lancaster only wants him at centre though, not interested in him otherwise.

Burgess was started at 13 - didn't do great; was switched to 12, then to blindside.

His last game at 12 was pretty good by most accounts. He's definitely looked better at blindside - but then his understanding has progressed too. It's possible he'd have looked as good at 12 if he'd continued there - Ford definitely seemed set on blindside for him. So far he's looked vindicated, but we'll see.

Lancaster is definitely only interested in him at centre. He says its because he can't jump in the lineout; plausible, but Lancaster always allegedly wanted him for inside-centre, and you can see why as the situation is quite, quite dire. Any port in a storm, even if Burgess looks more like he might be a stony shore with cannibals dancing on the clifftops. 50-50 on whether it will work.

Tough group? Bah. DO NOT WANT.

If it's any consolation - I'm going to really enjoy watching all the matches in the group.

Australia still haven't sorted their 9/10 pairing as far as I'm concerned. Phipps getting binned and not coming back on was what won Australia the match at the weekend. A smarter person than I could probably figure out a way to exploit that. Given their poor kicking too bonus point's could play a big part in deciding the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Australia still haven't sorted their 9/10 pairing as far as I'm concerned. Phipps getting binned and not coming back on was what won Australia the match at the weekend. A smarter person than I could probably figure out a way to exploit that. Given their poor kicking too bonus point's could play a big part in deciding the group.

That the Kiwi back row weren't able to do more against such mis-firing halves didn't help them at all either in fairness. Phipps and Foley were poor but they were never really made pay for it. I would imagine though that their performances alone on the day would be enough to convince Cheiks that they shouldn't be anywhere near the starting line-up for the RWC.

molloyjh wrote: »
    That the Kiwi back row weren't able to do more against such mis-firing halves didn't help them at all either in fairness. Phipps and Foley were poor but they were never really made pay for it. I would imagine though that their performances alone on the day would be enough to convince Cheiks that they shouldn't be anywhere near the starting line-up for the RWC.

The problem is though they've tried quite a few different pairings there and none of them are working well. Nic White looked more impressive in his 16 minutes than any of the rest of them have looked over 3 matches. I'd love to see White/Toomua get a start in Auckland this weekend. I doubt it'll happen though.

Samoa have named their final WC squad. First team to do so, I believe. (pretty annoying that they didn't click "ignore all" on spellcheck before releasing this)

CMGS1-4WoAAAgcB.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

No Census Johnson anyway, or his brother indeed. Still, the bones of a good team are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If I'm a Scot I'd be very afraid of that squad.

surprised peter saili not making the squad... must have been cack in training

No Census Johnson anyway, or his brother indeed. Still, the bones of a good team are there.

census is retired (*ahem stood down by his club ahem*)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If I'm a Scot I'd be very afraid of that squad.

Is there some confusion on that front? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Just learnt TV3 won't be going HD on saorview, pathetic.

Just reading this article about the Hawk-Eye technology they're going to be trialing at Twickenham during the England v France match this weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/11797604/Rugby-World-Cup-2015-Twickenham-breaks-new-ground-with-use-of-Hawk-Eye-during-England-v-France-clash.html

I always think of Hawk-Eye in terms of how it's used in tennis so I wasn't sure how that could be used for assessing concussions and off the ball incidents but obviously there's more to it than seeing where a ball landed. I like the idea of a split screen of a foot going into touch and the ball being grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Just reading this article about the Hawk-Eye technology they're going to be trialing at Twickenham during the England v France match this weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/11797604/Rugby-World-Cup-2015-Twickenham-breaks-new-ground-with-use-of-Hawk-Eye-during-England-v-France-clash.html

I always think of Hawk-Eye in terms of how it's used in tennis so I wasn't sure how that could be used for assessing concussions and off the ball incidents but obviously there's more to it than seeing where a ball landed. I like the idea of a split screen of a foot going into touch and the ball being grounded.

Its seem like a different system to whats been used in tennis and in croke park.

Its sound like a more sophisticated replay system, with more angles and the facility to watch different angles at the same time. For example if a player grounds the ball but the foot might be in touch , they can know pause it at the point where they are sure from one angle the ball is grounded and check the foot from an other angle at that very split second.

They couldn't rely on this before because the cameras probably weren't sync'd to the same clock accurately.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think it's a bit farcical to be honest if not only is the ref/TJs view not accurate enough but the slo-mo cameras are too imprecise. Just give the try if it's really that hard to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Loads of tickets up again guys...All of Ireland's matches have availability as I type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

kuang1 wrote: »
    Loads of tickets up again guys...All of Ireland's matches have availability as I type.

No category D for France or Italy game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wang King wrote: »

Am I the only can imagine his leg breaking in two after the first tackle?

Advertisement