Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Don't mean to be Dublin centric,But how deep will this snow be in Dublin and how long will it last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

On this run still snowing heavy in Cork city on wenesday of next week having started on Monday ,piling up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Rougies

Pentecost wrote: »
    An idiot writes.....we’re not actually looking at the potential for -15/-16 type temperatures are we?! The country will go mental next weekend if this keeps up.

The charts shown with -15 are for the temperature at 850hpa (about 1.5 km above ground), daytime temperatures would hover around freezing and nighttime temperatures would generally be about -2 to -8 (highest in the east). But it's quite possible to get down as low as -15/16 at night in places with laying snow away from the east coast as happened in Dec 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,234 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Don't mean to be Dublin centric,But how deep will this snow be in Dublin and how long will it last

Not a iota, and we won't until the hours before. We want the cold in before we look at precip!

km79 wrote: »
    And at night ?

You’d be better off not knowing :D
    But in east Galway below -10 assuming most of Leinster and Munster is under a deep blanket of snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

On this run still snowing heavy in Cork city on wenesday of next week having started on Monday ,piling up

I hope those showers are spreading to inland Cork!

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Its not an exaggeration to say next week we could see conditions similar to late February 1947 if some of these charts come off, truly exceptional.

What happened in Feb 1947?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I've never seen anything like this in 7 years of model watching, even during failed, falling-at-the-last-hurdle easterlies which looked hugely promising. Most of the country looks likely to see significant snow and more importantly extreme cold. I have a good feeling the east but especially southern coast (which I vaguely remember missing out a bit in 2010) could see major falls of snow during next week. :) Absolutely spectacular.

I still have a mild sinking feeling that something will have to give over the next few days (although even a major downgrade at this stage would still mean a decent cold spell), but the cross-model agreement over the past few days is very robust.

I would still urge you all not to get carried away with yourselves just yet. If all this is still there by Friday (give or take a few tweaks) we will definitely be all set. This is going to be a tortuous week, and hopefully it will be worth the wait, but we should really be prepared for every eventuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Rough idea on how long the beast will stay in Ireland? A week? 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

And at night ?

God knows, Villain who is a member on here recorded -17 I think in Carlow in 2010. He is in a frost hollow but still it shows what is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Pentecost

No they are 850hpa temperatures, Translate to about 0c daytime surface temps
    Rougies wrote: »
    The charts shown with -15 are for the temperature at 850hpa (about 1.5 km above ground), daytime temperatures would hover around freezing and nighttime temperatures would generally be about -2 to -8 (highest in the east). But it's quite possible to get down as low as -15/16 at night in places with laying snow away from the east coast as happened in Dec 2010.

Thank you folks. I told you I was an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I won't let hopes get up until the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

If the models even 80% verify, surely it will be a red warning with a frostbite warning in place too?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

What are the criteria for a Red "Cold Weather - Snow" Alert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If anything remotely like the latest model run by the GFS occurred large parts of this country's infrastructure would be paralysed.

Fun to look at but remember to keep a level head.

On track for the severe end of the spectrum. Will update tomorrow.

I hope those showers are spreading to inland Cork!

Oh they will on this run,no doubt about it in my opinion
    It’s impossible to be exact
    But you look at the sea surface temps and the 850 temps and that long fetch,it’s textbook Lake Ontario stuff
    Those could blast in 30 miles handy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Bicycle wrote: »

2 inches in south Dublin I’d say.

Oh they will on this run,no doubt about it in my opinion
    It’s impossible to be exact
    But you look at the sea surface temps and the 850 temps and that long fetch,it’s textbook Lake Ontario stuff
    Those could blast in 30 miles handy

Lake effect snow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have a Finnish friend and he says next week it is forecast to be -30C in southern Finland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

gally74 wrote: »

And in the rest of the country? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

George, thank you with those charts I'm positively giddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

gally74 wrote: »

A flake being spotted falling outside a window at Montrose. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

18_180_ukthickness850.png?cb=30

-16c 850 temps over wales... Look where the 510 dam line is :eek:

Good grief. My jaw has just hit the floor. it's as if the globe has flipped to spinning east to west

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

My dad often speaks about it and says the snow was up to the windows..he was only 6 at the time so that may be slightly exaggerated..ðŸ˜

Good grief. My jaw has just hit the floor. it's as if the globe has flipped to spinning east to west

No idea what I'm,looking at in these charts is that -14 degrees in daytime in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Well it was the snowiest winter of the century and was severely cold, It would be astonishing to see that level of cold and snow for even a few days but today's charts would cause similar conditions next week and beyond...

As Kermit says our infrastructure would be paralysed - This level of severity has only really shown up with consistency today though and so is far from certain.

And at night ?

i'd say -8, or possibly even lower, over snowfields is possible

Colser wrote: »
    My dad often speaks about it and says the snow was up to the windows..he was only 6 at the time so that may be slightly exaggerated..ðŸ˜

No exaggeration, drifts covered the top of ESB poles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,234 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And a beautiful end of the chart, with a low pressure system moving down from the north dumping inches of snow countrywide.

prectypeuktopo.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Rougies

Bicycle wrote: »

https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/warnings-explained.asp
    Criteria for Red - Severe Weather Warnings

3. Snow/Ice Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 8 cm or greater below 250 m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation likely to worsen.

4. Low Temperatures Minima of minus 10C or lower expected. Maxima of minus 2C or lower expected.

I think Met Eireann would have to make a new "Luminous Pink" warning if these charts came off pacman.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

while I'm excited about the potential cold, I can see myself in the south midlands being very frustrated again (just like in 2010), cold with no precipitation. But we shall see

No idea what I'm,looking at in these charts is that -14 degrees in daytime in Ireland?

No it’s -14c at about 5000 feet above sea level
    So about -4 to -5c at sea level max
    Quite deserving of a few :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Temperatures probably wouldn't actually be all that low on this GFS run, winds would be gale force and above a lot of the time which would keep the cold air from pooling. Wind chill on the other hand would be absolutely brutal, as low as -11C in the middle of the day next week and lower again overnight. To be taken with a pinch of salt for now obviously but doubt we'll be seeing charts like this again any time soon

210-290UK_jvx4.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Well it was the snowiest winter of the century and was severely cold, It would be astonishing to see that level of cold and snow for even a few days but today's charts would cause similar conditions next week and beyond...

As Kermit says our infrastructure would be paralysed - This level of severity has only really shown up with consistency today though and so is far from certain.

It would be "interesting" to say the least seeing a 1947 type event in modern times, especially with so-called global warming, climate change and advanced technology since then.

Thank you for explanation so 1947 was worse than 2010 ?Next week sounds exciting or worrying depending on how you see it . When will we start to see weather warnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Tell me that schools will shut so I don't have to think about leaving the house if this happens!

Thank you for explanation so 1947 was worse than 2010 ?Next week sounds exciting or worrying depending on how you see it . When will we start to see weather warnings

1947 was far far worse dude.

I posted my February 1947 analysis here in this thread, if you'd like to know about it: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057714322&page=15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

surely it can't go wrong, or can it. the only fly in the ointment is the severity of cold that is predicted to build over NE Europe and move it's way westward, not that it makes a huge difference as the worst case scenario is temperatures hovering just above freezing by day. I would prefer to see double digit negative day time temps to our east, none of the online 5 day to 10 day City weather pages are showing anything like that right now. not that they are very reliable in any case.

• Advertisement

no those are temperatures at 1.5 km in the air. At near ground level the temperature would be 0 or below. Abosultely incredible for the time of the year!!!

Thanks for all the explanations and patience with my newbie weather questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

It lasted a lot longer and the snow was much deeper, December 2010 was as cold though.
    You won't see weather warnings until 24-36 hours before, Watch the tone of met eireanns forecasts change rapidly over the next few days if this keeps up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Jesus lads go easy yous will break the thank you button😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The difference I recall from those years was that when it fell it was wetter snow, so it packed into a sheet of ice on the roads, rather than staying as powder, which made driving on it very different.

Nó wet snow here. Pure dry powder bliss, those were the days Quite incredible really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

2013Lara wrote: »
    Tell me that schools will shut so I don't have to think about leaving the house if this happens!

Don't worry....teachers only need a rumour of anything to have a day off - on health and safety grounds of course!!

Real issue could be pipes freezing so a lot of business may be in difficulty.

Temperatures probably wouldn't actually be all that low on this GFS run, winds would be gale force and above a lot of the time which would keep the cold air from pooling. Wind chill on the other hand would be absolutely brutal, as low as -11C in the middle of the day next week and lower again overnight. To be taken with a pinch of salt for now obviously but doubt we'll be seeing charts like this again any time soon

210-290UK_jvx4.GIF

Against that though,this air mass will be subject to very little modification en route
    The vast majority of its journey will be over land (even counting its angle of attack on the poor corkonians and waterfordites) so it won’t need to pool or stay still it will arrive almost as is on this model :eek:

It lasted a lot longer and the snow was much deeper, December 2010 was as cold though.
    You won't see weather warnings until 24-36 hours before, Watch the tone of met eireanns forecasts change rapidly over the next few days if this keeps up though.

IMTs to compare

February 1947; -1.1c
    January 1963; -1.6c
    December 2010; -0.7c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,945 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Oh I hope this turns out to be a damp squib. Any bit of snow or ice and commuting becomes a complete nightmare.

Well i've always wanted to see conditions similar to 1947. So i welcome it. I thought i would never experience anything like 2010 again in my life time. I just hope it doesn't downgrade, but i fear some sort of downgrade is inevitable-but it would still be snowy, mind.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement