Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If things do materialise with the strength of the sun - we will see temperatures by day in any sunshine reach reaching above zero in towns and cities, so there will be some melting!

Just looking for some negatives to throw into the pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

If things do materialise with the strength of the sun - we will see temperatures by day in any sunshine reach reaching above zero in towns and cities, so there will be some melting!

Just looking for some negatives to throw into the pot!

Now why did you have to go and say that? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Gerry's getting ready... :D

442239.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Here she comes...

gfsnh-0-144.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Getting really concerned about this now as I've to fly to the US on Monday. If I'm over there in balmy Feb weather (forecast 10c over there) & miss out on the first proper Easterly in 8 years I'll be so pissed off. Need this thing to roll in early Mon morning and force a flight cancellation !!

• Advertisement

Steopo wrote: »
    Getting really concerned about this now as I've to fly to the US on Monday. If I'm over there in balmy Feb weather (forecast 10c over there) & miss out on the first proper Easterly in 8 years I'll be so pissed off. Need this thing to roll in early Mon morning and force a flight cancellation !!

You might get lucky with that...

18_156_ukthickness850.png?cb=21

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Here she comes...

gfsnh-0-144.png?18

Is she in even earlier in this run ?

This i think is as close to perfection as you can get.

gfs-0-156.png?18?18

gfs-1-162.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

18Z update, -10 uppers arriving across most of the country by 3am Monday morning, a good 12 hours earlier than on the 12z Update.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

pad199207 wrote: »
    Is she in even earlier in this run ?

It looks to be almost exactly the same, maybe like 3 hours delayed in this later run? But then at +147 it flips around and is arriving earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

18Z arguably better than the 12Z. A lot more runs to go over the next couple of days.

Need to stress that the real cold is still A WEEK away. That's a long time in weather terms.

What a run, a proper run and a half. Was most certainly not expecting another upgrade!

h850t850eu.png

18Z arguably better than the 12Z. A lot more runs to go over the next couple of days.

Need to stress that the real cold is still A WEEK away. That's a long time in weather terms.

Considering -10 uppers are arriving on 3am Monday, I'd argue that the cold is less than 6 days away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Considering -10 uppers are arriving on 3am Monday, I'd argue that the cold is less than 6 days away.

-12 by 1pm Monday even!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The 18z gfs is taking new prisoners
    It would send very heavy snow showers into cork city and waterford
    It has -14 uppers onto the east coast
    -13 onto the south coast in a southeasterly fetch that would scoop up Atlantic moisture to pummel the south coast
    Incredible stuff really modeled for only a week away
    This would all be happening in sub zero day time temperatures
    It’s actually an unseen before unheard of scenario just 7 days away on this model :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

This i think is as close to perfection as you can get.

Having the high a nudge further north would be better, pressure is fairly high with strong winds so showers wouldn't have a change to pick up much moisture, serious windchill though.

Spectacular charts again though and no point looking at small details like that just yet. Now if they're still showing by Friday I'll be on board, heres hoping..

Edit: Pressure lower as the run goes on and a couple of kinks in the flow so plenty of snow later on, about as good a run as I've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

The 18z gfs is taking new prisoners
    It would send very heavy snow showers into cork city and waterford
    It has -14 uppers onto the east coast
    -13 onto the south coast in a southeasterly fetch that would scoop up Atlantic moisture to pummel the south coast
    Incredible stuff really modeled for only a week away
    This would all be happening in sub zero day time temperatures
    It’s actually an unseen before unheard of scenario just 7 days away on this model :eek:

I'm loving the sound of this!

18Z MUCH better than the 12z in my opinion, just for comparison purposes:

18z
    h850t850eu.png

12z
    h850t850eu.png

Everything is backwards

gfs-0-192.png?18

18_180_ukthickness850.png?cb=30

-16c 850 temps over wales... Look where the 510 dam line is :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

What a run, a proper run and a half. Was most certainly not expecting another upgrade!

I'd agree it's another upgrade, deep cold arrives slightly earlier and hangs around a bit longer with a deeper cold pool to the east.

Mesmerising charts this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

-15c 850 hpa in to the southeast by the Wednesday morning

gfs-1-204.png?18

Sweet dreams!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Rougies wrote: »
    I'd agree it's another upgrade, deep cold arrives slightly earlier and hangs around a bit longer with a deeper cold pool to the east.

Mesmerising charts this evening.

Any thoughts on how long the cold snap could last?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

An idiot writes.....we’re not actually looking at the potential for -15/-16 type temperatures are we?! The country will go mental next weekend if this keeps up.

I'm just desperately trying to not get excited, Pay no attention to me.

18Z is amazing to be fair. Every night for the last few nights I've been lying in bed looking at the 18Z and thinking it can't get any better and every night it has. When does it stop?!

Pentecost wrote: »
    An idiot writes.....we’re not actually looking at the potential for -15/-16 type temperatures are we?! The country will go mental next weekend if this keeps up.

No they are 850hpa temperatures, Translate to about 0c daytime surface temps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Global warming eh??
    The scientists might have to go back to the drawing board lol.

Truly sensational charts
    I'm surprised the media haven't lamped it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

No they are 850hpa temperatures, Translate to about 0c daytime surface temps

And at night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

beautiful charts. I'll be buying a tonne of par cooked bread and uht milk near the end of the week. :cool:

• Advertisement

Its not an exaggeration to say next week we could see conditions similar to late February 1947 if some of these charts come off, truly exceptional.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement