Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Cold Weather/Snow - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my dream for this event if it happens is 7 to 10 days of snow trains in off the Irish sea, some frontal activity delivering nationwide snow with no IOM Shadow to worry about, no mild sectors, no slop. 20cm+ on the ground for over a week.

However I would like a swift recovery to mild spring like conditions after about the 1st week of March. What i don't want is a month long 3-7C again like the past 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

On the other hand if your like me and drive a rear wheel drive automatic....... Just don’t drive 😂😂😂🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gonzo wrote: »
    my dream for this event if it happens is 7 to 10 days of snow trains in off the Irish sea, some frontal activity delivering nationwide snow with no IOM Shadow to worry about, no mild sectors, no slop. 20cm+ on the ground for over a week.

However I would like a swift recovery to mild spring like conditions after about the 1st week of March. What i don't want is a month long 3-7C again like the past 2 months.

I would take that as well,don't want a month of cold weather

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Gonzo wrote: »

I want it away for the 10th so as I can fly to Glasgow for the Celtic /Huns game and sample my first beer since NYE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I would take that as well,don't want a month of cold weather

Certainly don't want a March 2013 but gimme December 2010 all you like Mother Nature ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

leahyl wrote: »
    It’s for pleasure, never been before. Did they have to close the Eiffel Tower only last week because of snow?! I’m not going till the 9th though so hopefully anything we get snow wise will have cleared by then lol

I don't remember if it was open actually, we just went and hung out beside it, we didn't bother going up, we went up to Sacre Coeur instead..I'll never forget standing in the doorway of the church, sun setting, candles everywhere, choir singing and looking out over Paris as it started to snow again, it was beautiful!

There were no real delays in the Metro and all the paths/roads were cleared very well, they seemed very well equipped to deal with the cold weather. A few stops for hot chocolate or Vin Chaud and we were happy out!

The 9th is a long way away yet, all you can do really is play it by ear and bring appropriate gear if the cold is maintained for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Interesting that this might happen , today was the first day I thought felt distinctly mild and spring like

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hints of whats to come on the weather after the 9 o'clock news.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Jean Byrne playing it cooler than a fishes fart.
    To be expected this far out, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So lads It seems the serious operators here seem nearly giddy about the potential weather on the way.

So with that in mind and noting that the thread says from Sunday next. So will it be grand until Saturday night and then bang ?

Also can cork expect snow or will the snow shield stop it or will even the famous snow shield of cork be beaten by this ?

Thanks lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

All I heard was "air from Siberia" and a very pretty background

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wonder what the 18z will have in store for us... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So lads It seems the serious operators here seem nearly giddy about the potential weather on the way.

So with that in mind and noting that the thread says from Sunday next. So will it be grand until Saturday night and then bang ?

Also can cork expect snow or will the snow shield stop it or will even the famous snow shield of cork be beaten by this ?

Thanks lads.

Yes hopefully it is. The answer to the Cork Question is right here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106196851&postcount=80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

"I'll start that roof for you by the end of February missus " says I
    "Sure we'll be over the worst of the weather by then and in to spring " says I ! FFxS !!!😭😭😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I have an exam on the 7th March so hopefully it would have cleared by then. Any time before or after that is fine by me but a few impromptu snow/study days before hand would go down nicely.

A red level warning for snow would be the ultimate dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pad199207 wrote: »
    Wonder what the 18z will have in store for us... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Beginning it's rollout now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

So is it bad news if the GFS sticks to what it was saying earlier?

Is that what passes for bad news these days?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Beginning it's rollout now.

Why do I have a bad feeling about this run coming up.....:(

Maybe its going to bring us down a notch but still steller charts

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Thanks lads.

Yes hopefully it is. The answer to the Cork Question is right here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106196851&postcount=80

Gracias Chief.

gabeeg wrote: »
    So is it bad news if the GFS sticks to what it was saying earlier?

Is that what passes for bad news these days?

He fears it going pear shaped. It would be typical after the ECM came on board.

Actually i'm going to be optmistic, given the unique set of factors involved, i don't think it will go pear shaped- maybe
    a modified version of what has been shown previously, but still snowy charts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

So what’s been happening this evening ?

Again as per my message yesterday In The winter thread yesterday,I’m not getting too caught up on this at the moment , a 2-3 day trend from the main models and I’m in , but the chopping and changing has me fence sitting rite now , ECM back this up in the morning please

Yeah but it was different yesterday, Pete.

Frankly I think you're religiously checking the models every four hours like the rest of us, and you're at the point where every waking moment is a kind strange pain.

So what’s been happening this evening ?

Again as per my message yesterday In The winter thread yesterday,I’m not getting too caught up on this at the moment , a 2-3 day trend from the main models and I’m in , but the chopping and changing has me fence sitting rite now , ECM back this up in the morning please

THIS TELLS YOU ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW:

501 (162 members & 339 guests) Moderators : 5

nacho libre, pad199207, Alonso77, moon madness, RoryMac, gumgum1, kittyn, Gasco, gabeeg, lobo1, gerrybhoy, the quiet fella, cheekycheeky, NMB, Dank Janniels, JCX BXC, Lu Tze, mel.b, jay28, Rodar08, MJohnston, giveitholly, TheTorment, RedPeppers, pmq71, blackwave, Donegal Storm, Stevie79, 1holly1, Sierra Oscar, Zoney, griffdaddy, taytobreath, Nickla, MidMan25, Speak Now, downwiththatsor, hellyeah, loopymum, mountainy man, torres9kop, Greensoup, KathleenF, noobsnow95, knowall123, Pherekydes, Longing, vandriver, pistolpetes11, snow_bunny, crownhill, barney 20v, Timistry, onmebike, Dickie10, vizualpics, InstaSte, Bonzo Delaney, ascophyllum, Keisha07, ps200306, lolie, Arne_Saknussem, ZX7R, Blondie919, Holy Duck, Gonzo, DanielL18, Kermit.de.frog, notmypants, dsaint1, BLIZZARD7, alentejo, SwissToni, mirrorwall14, talkabout, Luke-m, JazzyJ, dense, king size mars bar, kerrycork13, Frostybrew, Oscar Bravo, hawkwing, snowjon, Colser, Kingswood Rover, wench, P_1, cnocbui, obriebm, elvis99, thecretinhop, Longboard, Benicetomonty, cefh17, vickers209, nuttyboy79, Robert McGrath, mikeecho, joinme, wexfordman2, aonchraic, joe316, droidman123, Natibaby, geraardo, Wobbuffet, Lucreto, Reckless Abandonment, icesnowfrost, flanzer, United road, Sammy2012, Lawnmo, jammiedodgers, jh79, Deatr, Aaronh86, dexter647, RobertKK, Soccarboy11, Vxlks, Tazio, robinwing, LEIN, Musicman2000, cwboy, hungoverbunny, nerrad1983, Burts Bee, Sirted, Bogsnorkler, golf nut, CB19Kevo, Weathercheck, cascade12, rabwaygal, The Gardener, 2013Lara, Dancewithme, KinnegadKid, Samash, little bess, Pentecost, Lenny5, munsterlegend

A sure sign snow is in the offing:)

nacho libre, pad199207, Alonso77, moon madness, RoryMac, gumgum1, kittyn, Gasco, gabeeg, lobo1, gerrybhoy, the quiet fella, cheekycheeky, NMB, Dank Janniels, JCX BXC, Lu Tze, mel.b, jay28, Rodar08, MJohnston, giveitholly, TheTorment, RedPeppers, pmq71, blackwave, Donegal Storm, Stevie79, 1holly1, Sierra Oscar, Zoney, griffdaddy, taytobreath, Nickla, MidMan25, Speak Now, downwiththatsor, hellyeah, loopymum, mountainy man, torres9kop, Greensoup, KathleenF, noobsnow95, knowall123, Pherekydes, Longing, vandriver, pistolpetes11, snow_bunny, crownhill, barney 20v, Timistry, onmebike, Dickie10, vizualpics, InstaSte, Bonzo Delaney, ascophyllum, Keisha07, ps200306, lolie, Arne_Saknussem, ZX7R, Blondie919, Holy Duck, Gonzo, DanielL18, Kermit.de.frog, notmypants, dsaint1, BLIZZARD7, alentejo, SwissToni, mirrorwall14, talkabout, Luke-m, JazzyJ, dense, king size mars bar, kerrycork13, Frostybrew, Oscar Bravo, hawkwing, snowjon, Colser, Kingswood Rover, wench, P_1, cnocbui, obriebm, elvis99, thecretinhop, Longboard, Benicetomonty, cefh17, vickers209, nuttyboy79, Robert McGrath, mikeecho, joinme, wexfordman2, aonchraic, joe316, droidman123, Natibaby, geraardo, Wobbuffet, Lucreto, Reckless Abandonment, icesnowfrost, flanzer, United road, Sammy2012, Lawnmo, jammiedodgers, jh79, Deatr, Aaronh86, dexter647, RobertKK, Soccarboy11, Vxlks, Tazio, robinwing, LEIN, Musicman2000, cwboy, hungoverbunny, nerrad1983, Burts Bee, Sirted, Bogsnorkler, golf nut, CB19Kevo, Weathercheck, cascade12, rabwaygal, The Gardener, 2013Lara, Dancewithme, KinnegadKid, Samash, little bess, Pentecost, Lenny5, munsterlegend

They should feed that data into the models

Thanks for putting me second in the list Nacho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Woo hoo, my name is on that list. I feel like I've just seen myself in the telly :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Oooooo can't wait to see this unfold gfs 18z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Woo hoo, my name is on that list. I feel like I've just seen myself in the telly :-)

Mine isn't as i've just popped in!!!

Well done to all of you who follow, analyse and impart to the rest of us mortals. It has been a fascinating few months since pre Ophelia. Thank you, and MT C of course.

So, what are the chances of Waterford getting a good dollop of the white stuff?
    Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

Me too. It's like having a walk-on part in The Day After Tomorrow. I'm gonna be looking out for wolves on Dun Laoghaire pier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Pangea wrote: »
    Back in 2009/2010 I recall three weeks of snow cover here, snowed first then the deep freeze kept it.

The difference I recall from those years was that when it fell it was wetter snow, so it packed into a sheet of ice on the roads, rather than staying as powder, which made driving on it very different. I had my 4x4 (still have it) in the 09/10 events, and it was great fun to drive on the higher ground up around Naull and Garristown in the fresh snow that got dumped on a regular basis by the Isle of Man streamer, much nicer to drive in than on the frozen ice that was on the lower roads.

The next few days are for sure going to be an interesting period, that's for sure.

What was thought provoking was the American (I think) temperature anomaly chart that shows the cold coming in from the East, then the warmer air almost getting back in from the South, before being pushed forcibly out by yet more cold from the North. If there's frontal activity in that phase, anything could be possible, depending on where the front tracks.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement