Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I cleared my step an hour ago now now look. Iv never seen as much snow. My garden is disappearing. It's worrying for tomorrow if she dumps the totals that's expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I did it I got bread 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

awec wrote: »
    We've been hearing this all day! :D

Looks favourable, then a few hours later northsiders and other southsiders talk about their blizzards while us D18 residents look out at the calm and bright winters day. :pac:

With 12cm of snow on the ground, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That is actually crazy snow out there now (D15) haven't seen snow like that since Val D'Sere!

Yep. I've never seen this kind of snow here before. I was living overseas for a few years so missed the 2010 snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

-2c snowing and my weather station here near Arklow has it gusting to 60kmh
    I’ve just came in from it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Clear skies now approaching from the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭hhmmm?

The last time I saw snow like this was in Pralognan la vanoise in the French Alps.

MEGA/MEGA snow in Dublin 15....Blanchardstown..,....m.there must be some making it to parts of south Dublin ..has to be...

Nearly 25 cm here....

Nothing in Sandyford since just after lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

You guys on the southside have no idea what you're missing.

Blizzard conditions, snow piling up. Visibility a real issue here with the drifting.

Any pics??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Ah still have another hour or so to go here, would love a pint though! :D

Well if you're near capel street I'll shout you one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Come back again after tomorrow.

The Day after Tomorrow might be better again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Starting to ration my Monster energy now it may have to last till Friday at least stay safe out there folks this is a bad one and it's only gonna get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

d'Oracle wrote: »
    You are doing the point too much of a service by getting cross about it.

We get snow but not the same as them ie. Poland . Dublin gets way more snow than London and is colder statistically but Paris gets a little more snow than us. The Norwegian site YO has all the stats. Every winter months in Dublin is on Average colder than London. Check out the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Ski lessons on Killiney Hill tomorrow morning apparently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Chrongen wrote: »

SNOWMANCE!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

This attitude from foreigners is really annoying. It is EIGHT YEARS since we had serious snow in this country. In Poland it is a regular occurance but not here. Do they honestly think we have the resources to deal with an event which might occur once or twice a decade, what are we supposed to do, rent an air craft hanger the size of croke park for salt? People aren't used to driving in snow cos we don't get any. I know someone who lived in Sydney who said Aussie drivers are useless in the rain so its not just here.

Yes! Give us a miserable drizzly day any day and we're all over it. Its just what you're used to, it's totally unreasonable to expect the country to be 100% ready for an unprecedented event. Very ignorant way of looking at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Red warning altered to include Cork and Waterford from now rather than from 4 tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Chrongen wrote: »

Impromptu beers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Claire6 wrote: »
    Does it absolutely infuriate anyone else when people say "ah Ireland is so dramatic, Canada/Poland/Austria get this weather all the time"?

Eh yes but that is their climate. Absolutely head wrecking.

Agree. Also just because they're cold doesn't mean they necessarily get big snowfall. I believe Moscow had their biggest 1 day snowfall ever recorded a few weeks back. 8 inches. Could be wrong but wasn't a mammoth total like you'd expect for their.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Cork Snow shield still hanging around with vengeance throughout last night and today - while the rest of the county have been put under 5in of snow us poor folk up in North Cork have got basically nothing yet :( here's hoping tomorrow we will finally see something substantial.

24l65av.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You guys on the southside have no idea what you're missing.

Blizzard conditions, snow piling up. Visibility a real issue here with the drifting.

We do know what we're missing and it's why we're sad :( there's 10cm on the ground here it's good but northsiders must have twice that..and spectacular blizzards to watch too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Any reports from along the south coast? Looks like there could a fair depth before the storm even starts.

Agree. Also just because they're cold doesn't mean they necessarily get big snowfall. I believe Moscow had their biggest 1 day snowfall ever recorded a few weeks back. 8 inches. Could be wrong but wasn't a mammoth total like you'd expect for their.

Wow, didn't realise that, interesting if that's the case. Would have just assumed that that kind of snowfall would be regular enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

Are we actually expecting a blizzard, like a snow storm? I work in the health service and I have to go to work. I am sick of hearing the while country is going to stop on Thursday from 4pm until fri 12 noon, what about all the people who cant stop and have to make journeys. The Taoiseach is not giving much information for those people only scaring the crap out of them. What can we expect Friday morning? (on a practical level)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

what, what....don't leave us hanging...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vixi

I've learned so much over the last few days from you all. Your all amazing! Been a long time lurker and I've been gripped by all your updates!
    Snow just seems to be missing us here in north louth at the moment.. so frustrating!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭sudzs

Rte news right now is like a trailer for The Day After Tomorrow !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

-3.1c now in West Clare, which was the low temperature recorded last night. Cold one ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Still feeling underwhelmed here on the Tipp/Kilkenny border. It's making attempts at falling, but it's just too light. Wind has picked up though. We have less ground coverage than we had first thing this morning, and even that wasn't impressive :(

I missed 2010 because I was in the Middle East, and I wasn't born in 1982. This still is nowhere near the most impressive snow fall I've seen. I had such high expectations too :( And to top it all off I tried to make a snowman this morning, but the snow that has landed is too fine. I did manage to get a loaf of bread though!

degsie wrote: »
    what, what....don't leave us hanging...

Haha there*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The last time I saw snow like this was in Pralognan la vanoise in the French Alps.

MEGA/MEGA snow in Dublin 15....Blanchardstown..,....m.there must be some making it to parts of south Dublin ..has to be...

Nearly 25 cm here....
    Zero. Pretty clear skies in rathmines rn, unbelievable :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

irishfeen wrote: »
    Cork Snow shield still hanging around with vengeance throughout last night and today - while the rest of the county have been put under 5in of snow us poor folk up in North Cork have got basically nothing yet :( here's hoping tomorrow we will finally see something substantial.

24l65av.jpg

Ye get plenty so don't be moaning!

Claire6 wrote: »
    Wow, didn't realise that, interesting if that's the case. Would have just assumed that that kind of snowfall would be regular enough for them.

The wind, coupled with the weight of the snow will down trees easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

The sea is really coming alive. Looks like most in the east could do well in the next few hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Celbridge at the moment ❄️❄️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Nothing in Kilpedder, North Wicklow since 4pm. Only a light dusting on the ground from earlier falls this morning - verrry jealous of other parts at the moment.

Temp currently -2c

Lampost watching while listening to Christmas FM online and hoping for some seasonal cheer later tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Any reports from along the south coast? Looks like there could a fair depth before the storm even starts.

Huge falls here in Clonakilty with another incoming in next 20 minutes or so!

At least 8cm snow depth in places currently in Southside of Cork

Pet peeve it gets on my goat saying blizzard like tomorrow. It won't be blizzard like, it will be an actual blizzard. Has blizzard like in warning.

• Advertisement

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Ye get plenty so don't be moaning!

Not half enough for us country folk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Anyone know what caused the fire on My Brandon Kerry....

I heard its on fire lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

The sea is really coming alive. Looks like most in the east could do well in the next few hours

Most, or everyone bar wicklow town and Arklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Dublin 13 blizzard conditions the last 2 hours. Just died down. Never seen anything like it in my life. Went out for a walk in it. Was something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

irishfeen wrote: »

24l65av.jpg

Thats the Galtee effect - Ye're being ham'mered by them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭revelman

Ludo wrote: »
    Red warning altered to include Cork and Waterford from now rather than from 4 tomorrow.

About time. I cant understand why this wasnt done this morning. The south coast from Roches point along Kinsale to Clon has had a huge amount of snow all day. The N71 was horrendous since early. Trucks jackknifing and cars being pushed on secondary roads as far north as Bandon. I measured 20 cm accumulation of snow at 6pm. Im generally not one of these people who goes on about the 'Dublin media' but watching thenews the focus is all Dublin and you understand why people say it.

Rant over! :-)

Im in rural Kinsale by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Streamers forming around that part of Wales jutting out that was causing us misery, looks like South Dublin could be in luck finally in the next ~2 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭thomil

Are we actually expecting a blizzard, like a snow storm? I work in the health service and I have to go to work. I am sick of hearing the while country is going to stop on Thursday from 4pm until fri 12 noon, what about all the people who cant stop and have to make journeys. The Taoiseach is not giving much information for those people only scaring the crap out of them. What can we expect Friday morning?

I feel your frustration. The current situation is that we have snow showers drifting across the country from east to west, driven by the cold Siberian air that has been nicknamed "The Beast from the East". It may look impressive to people who haven't much experience with snow, but is really not that extreme.

That will change tomorrow afternoon. A storm system named "Emma" will effectively crash into the cold air over Ireland. Emma is your typical North Atlantic low, with lots of moisture, and also packing some considerable wind speeds. When that hits the cold air over Ireland, the moisture that would normally fall down as rain will come down as snow, and be driven by gale force winds, according to the weather models that I have access to.

So, we're expecting VERY strong snowfall driven by gale force winds at temperatures slightly below, or around freezing. Even if it does not meet the meteorological definition of a blizzard, it will feel very much like one.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Celbridge after the last shower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

George Lee on RTÉ slipped in 25cm plus another 40cm Friday in the red zone. That’s on top of what’s fallen already. Heading for 80cm plus surely in places come Friday?

Rikand wrote: »
    Thats the Galtee effect - Ye're being ham'mered by them ;)

Imagine what depths are actually up the Galtee's - it must be epic :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement