Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Not what I was expecting at all. Kinda ****s all over Nolan’s “realistic” take on Batman’s characters. And I say that as someone who absolutely loves Ledger’s interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I've watched it 5 times now. Looks brilliant. Phoenix is an excellent choice.

If only they could erase that Suicide Squad from history. Absolutely brutal, and Leto's Joker is an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

Is this supposed to be the origin of Heath Ledger's Joker or is this a different Joker character?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

RickBlaine wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be the origin of Heath Ledger's Joker or is this a different Joker character?

Different, it's its own beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

pixelburp wrote: »
    Different, it's its own beast.

That's good. Ledger's Joker is best left as an enigma, especially considering his contradicting stories of how he got his scars. The writers seemed to purposely give him no backstory and it should remain like that for his character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This wasn't the version from the trailer
    Slydice wrote: »
    Yes, yes on loop for a while I think

This was (Jimmy Durante):

You turn that shot just after being punched by the.. bankers? around by 90 degrees and he looks more angry than upset.

I get the feeling things don't work out well for those guys...

476981.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't what they are trying to say by only casting animal rights activists as Joker...ledger, Leto, now Phoenix :pac:
    I would not care about this apart from Joaquin Phoenix being so talented, looks really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well that trailer gave me happy face :cool:

I can't stand comic films but this looks outstanding. Nothing supernatural. Dark and real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

This could be very good, just saw the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

For those upset by Todd Philips directing I remember a lot of people getting flustered because the guy from "10 things I hate about you" was going to play the joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Two great posters. :D

27l1JgJ.jpg

D3RFpq4WkAEx4aK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

The Joker is such a rich character and has more depth than most if not all superhero personae.
    But to say personae is inaccurate as Napier actually incarnates the Joker as a result of being repeatedly downtrodden in an ever more increasingly chaotic world.
    His consciousness actualizes the Joker which obviously represents the archetype Trickster.
    The Trickster rails against social convention and mocks the system, the world order, and through Napier's raging perspective manifests as a real force to be reckoned with. A clown to play games with nothing to lose yet striving to survive - to outwit.
    Napier is a weak nobody trying to defend what remains of his personal identity in an ultimate inward struggle which reflects outwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Has Napier ever been confirmed as the origin for the Joker, outside Tim Burton's version of the character?

I only ask as anything I've ever read or watched myself the characters origin has been unconfirmed or left open.

That query aside. I love the look and tone of the trailer and cannot wait to see this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

auspicious wrote: »
    The Joker is such a rich character and has more depth than most if not all superhero personae.

Reminds me of a tweet I saw the other day, along the lines of 'the Joker is the deepest and most complex character in the entire history of picture books for children' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

RayCun wrote: »
    Reminds me of a tweet I saw the other day, along the lines of 'the Joker is the deepest and most complex character in the entire history of picture books for children' :pac:

Aye, we disparage comic book history when it suits us. Wonder what the angle was of the tweet you are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This wil annoy some fans but I think Ledgers joker is over rated I will explain why ,

I really enjoyed Ledger performance and Ledgers one is without question the BEST portrail of the Joker to date, but I think its over rated because the others are so bad or so detached to who the joker really is ,

Due to the audience the studio's want comic book movies to appeal to in the movies (kids) I don't think we have seen anyone including Ledger play a joker who is dark or unhinged enough to really get ho the joker is on the big screen ,

I really enjoyed the trailer for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Aye, we disparage comic book history when it suits us. Wonder what the angle was of the tweet you are referring to.

That was about it. Yes, the Joker is a hugely complex character... if you haven't read many books for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭micks_address

The trailer does look great for this, should be great but trailers can be damn deceiving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

correction wrote: »
    Todd Phillips is such an unlikely, this can't work type director choice that you know it'll end up working brilliantly to everyones surprise.

And Joaquin Phoneix seems the absolute perfect choice for this. The only other actor that comes to mind to play The Joker, and this could still happen in actual Batman movies, is Paul Dano. Always felt he was certain to play The Joker at some point.

He is a classic actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I always thought Christian Slater would be a great Joker.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I always thought Christian Slater would be a great Joker.
    Possibly because at his height Christian Slater was always compared to a young Jack Nicholson.

I wouldn't mind Christian Slater doing a solo Old-Robin film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

God, the trailer for this is so good. That music crescendo near the end is epic. I wouldn’t normally even consider going to the cinema to see a superhero/villain but may well do for this. Phoenix is a very interesting actor and is perfect for playing a damaged character.

Watched you were never really there recently. Tough watch at times but could almost have been a back story for the joker on its own.

The soundtrack in this film is gonna be intense!

Hildur Guðnadóttir is composing! She worked with Jóhann Jóhannsson on Sicario and her work on the Chernobyl miniseries is currently airing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildur_Guðnadóttir

I just noticed when I went to check who had done the music for Chernobyl. That series is something!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Last nights Chernobyl also featured a little cameo from The Joker :cool:

El Duda wrote: »
    Last nights Chernobyl also featured a little cameo from The Joker :cool:
    Oh that took me waaaay too long to figure out
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Really cannot wait for this movie.

Phoenix could give Joker that truly,deeply ,depraved and unhinged angle we haven't seen on screen before.

I'm hoping this is dark as possible with no Marvel-esque fluff.

Advertisement