Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Embarrassing the amount of times the ref has said for Connacht players to stop mouthing at him.

We can be really annoying tbh, you especially notice it at Eagles games and the like. The counting after the ref calls use it is insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Mul, it's over
    Absolutely nothing is going right

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Healy is having an absolute mare

You're doing a disservice to nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    What a play by Carty!

The balls on that fella!!!!

Mul, it's over
    Totally intentional

• Advertisement

Carty throws a 20 metre pass and Butler is stopped just short of the line, commentator sounds like he's watching a scrum reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

What on Earth was Buckley at.....Christ.

Marmion had to be taking control there to move play back towards the posts. Even if that was a try, it was a shocker of a kick from near the touch line to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Nowhere near clinical enough in that second half. So many chances too.

Well, that's sh*te.

Great for the league but Connacht absolutely left that behind with some unlucky moments, sloppy decisions (even allowing for the conditions) and poor defending.

Boyle should be very happy with his showing but I doubt he'll be too pleased at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    I know the conditions were very bad but we had more than enough chances to win that game. Very disappointing result after such a great win last time out.

The extended break obviously hasn't helped

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Mul, it's over
    The second string lads who earned a lot of credit for Edinburgh, lost a lot tonight. No game for a month with Scarlets having two games didn't help but we dropped the ball twice over the line.

Team selection awful as well. Unacceptable result these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Can't say Connacht deserved anything else. Baffling how the level of their performances can swing so drastically.

Very disappointing. Looked very poor tonight. Again.

Boyle played well but others and again the more senior players, just not at it at all.

Friend has a few problems to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

This could have ended without a BP let's take it

Healy wasn't in it,
    Carty had one great kick, the rest..
    Arnold brings not much

The forwards did a pretty good job, that's promising
    Porch is brillant overall

Also interesting how lads come back from Ireland and are largely brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I don't want to simplify rugby but this mental throwing the ball around has to stop. Connacht are well able to build stable phases. And Jack had a right stinker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭testtech05

Some Like It TOH
    ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    I don't want to simplify rugby but this mental throwing the ball around has to stop. Connacht are well able to build stable phases. And Jack had a right stinker

While I agree jack had a poor day overall he was far from alone in that.
    Seems to be a bit of a trend with lads coming back from internationals as another poster mentioned.
    Is it as simple as not playing any competitive rugby in so long I wonder? Hopefully it is.

Mul, it's over
    its_phil wrote: »
    The second string lads who earned a lot of credit for Edinburgh, lost a lot tonight. No game for a month with Scarlets having two games didn't help but we dropped the ball twice over the line.

Team selection awful as well. Unacceptable result these days.

Yeah team selection a bit strange alright. 11 Wootton 14 Sullivan should have been the starting wings almost surely. Would have gone for Aungier over Kenny, started Oliver and had Papali'i coming off the bench to cause absolute **** at the end. Would have started Marmion and Carty together too, Carty had an absolutely dreadful first half but grew into the game a bit.. hopefully just rust.

Very disappointing. Looked very poor tonight. Again.

Boyle played well but others and again the more senior players, just not at it at all.

Friend has a few problems to solve.

Yup. Was disappointed with Marmion. Stupid offload from the deck (and poor execution) as well as iffy direction. Buckley with a superman impression and white line fever. Feel sorry for Healy but he's a back three player who was a scrum half for years. His hands should be far better.

Carty had a few nice moments in the second half when needed even if he was a little fortunate once or twice. I thought Thornbury was decent. Showed very good awareness to pull the ball back from a maul being formed late on when he recognised that the Scarlets had swarmed.

I was hoping Butler would have been a little more influential although I could watch that sort of game back and realise he was everywhere just not getting the headline moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

You'd think it never rains in Ireland the way Irish team's handle the ball in wet conditions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well that was bloody frustrating. We had plenty of chances to win that but completely lacked composure when we got near Scarlets line. They had 3 chances and took them well, I 'd say we converted 2 from about 8 trips to their 22? Appalling lack of direction once we got close, and white line fever cost us several chances. Argghhhh!!

Mul, it's over
    About as frustrating a game as you could watch. Thought ye would steal it at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    connachta wrote: »
    This could have ended without a BP let's take it

Healy wasn't in it,
    Carty had one great kick, the rest..
    Arnold brings not much

The forwards did a pretty good job, that's promising
    Porch is brillant overall

Not sure about that. Thought he made bad defensive reads for both Scarlets’ tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Not sure about that. Thought he made bad defensive reads for both Scarlets’ tries.

He tried to catch up slow positioning from other, I think...
    He brings so much ball in hands, anyway

Obviously our preparation was far from ideal, having consecutive games cancelled, but even with that caveat I thought we were very poor tonight. We came into this with two wins from three, off the back of a good performance in Edinburgh, plus we were at home. Scarlets were 2/5 and had probably left home at 6am, yet they were the ones who provided the emotional energy and pop. We were so flat, so quiet, so meek. They celebrated every single moment whereas we barely communicated aside from complaining to the referee. Butler is a good captain; he's level headed, he works hard, he makes good decisions, he deals with referees well. He is not however particularly vocal, and without Bundee providing the encouragement, chat, and a bit of niggle we look a bit lost. Conor Oliver provided a bit of spark when he came on to be fair.

The two tries we conceded in the first half were really poor. Our straight up tackling is really good, but whenever our opponents throw some midfield deception at us we are liable to be torn to pieces. Players get caught between shooting and drifting, between trusting their inside man and biting in. This has the case for Peter Wilkins' entire tenure to my mind.

We have had some really good days under Andy Friend but we are so incredibly inconsistent. Today we made so many terrible errors and braindead decisions, but next week we might cut them out and play really well. It's so hard to know what to expect. A lot of the really bad performances seem to have come against the Welsh teams.

Positives, hmm. Encouraging performances from Kenny, Papali'i, and Reilly. A huge effort from Paul Boyle. Not a whole pile else to be honest.

First one he bit in because Healy was getting skinned, but didn't get there in time to stop the pass. Second one was completely on Sammy Arnold he made a terrible decision to shoot in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some Like It TOH
    Three knock-ons with the line at your mercy. Ah here.

Boyle could be knocking on the Ireland door for 2021 if he maintains that kind of form. Scarlets couldn't handle his pace from the base of the scrum at all. Watching him tonight reminded me of a rampaging Denis Leamy.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

Mul, it's over
    First one he bit in because Healy was getting skinned, but didn't get there in time to stop the pass. Second one was completely on Sammy Arnold he made a terrible decision to shoot in midfield.

https://twitter.com/pro14official/status/1327741191966781440?s=21

You have to trust your inside men. Matt Healy was going to get the tackle in on McNicholl for the first one and Wooton would have for the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

https://twitter.com/pro14official/status/1327741191966781440?s=21

You have to trust your inside men. Matt Healy was going to get the tackle in on McNicholl for the first one and Wooton would have for the second.

Wooton is a terrible defender.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement