Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Precious parents and their new born kids

Options
  • 23-01-2019 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Is this a recent phenomenon or has it always been the case? I'm beyond this phase in my life but I have friends/colleagues/acquaintances who seem to think that the world revolves around their kids nap or feeding times.

I was invited to a christening and at 11.30am, the mother a child left the christening to bring the baby home because nap time was between 12 and 2pm. So what was the point in having a Christening if you're just going to go home!

A friend invited themselves over to the house to introduce their new baby, she turns up 90 minutes late with the explanation that the child was asleep and couldn't be woke!!! So I have to organise my life around when your 6 month old child decides to wake up???

A new colleague has joined after moving back to Ireland from Australia where the baby was born. She's married with one child and is living in her parents while the house they bought is being renovated for the past year. Anyway, I can hear her chewing the balls off her father and snarking down the phone at the mother if the child isn't asleep at nap time or had it's arse wiped a certain way!

Another one was when we were INVITED over to a friends house, everybody had to whisper because the baby was having their nap and couldn't be woke. Do they not realise that it's a self fulfilling prophecy, if you tip toe around the house then you are creating an environment where the child will wake up whereas if you proceed as normal the kid will adapt to the noise?

What is the matter with these people that their kids are so precious where everyone has to tip toe around their timetable and sleeping habits or God forbid that a child might hear a loud voice!?!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ah would ya stop. they're low enough on sleep

People treat their new babies like precious things because they are precious things. Sleep is important for their development and the parents sanity in equal measure and the pleasure of your company might not offset the misery of a cranky child too tired to feed properly and having it's routine disrupted for people already sleep deprived and immersed in a new world of parenting a new born child.

Not a parent, btw. Just have some empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

They where more then likely dick heads before they had kids having them just gives them an extra excuse!

Ive two kids ya there's loads of ****e you need to plan your life around but you keep it to yourself and don't take over other people's life's with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Everyone has their own way of raising their children. Who are you to judge? We mightn't agree with it but at the end of the day it's no ones business but the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Reading that OP makes me glad I’m infertile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I find parents very irritating as well when it comes to their kids. I used to work in creche and the drama everyday with some of them. They would refuse to leave the classroom when their child is upset because they are leaving. Just get out! Let us do our job! Your child will be playing within two minutes, you hanging around and causing a scene isn't helping anyone. They are usually laughing and playing within mere minutes after the parnet has left.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Original poster sounds like a right moany git

If its not babies and their parents it'd be something else

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's always been the case. They're a nightmare to deal with when newborn, the more tired they are the more cross they get. Anytime they're asleep is a blessing for stressed parents, especially first timers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Everyone has their own way of raising their children. Who are you to judge? We mightn't agree with it but at the end of the day it's no ones business but the parents.

It s my business when I wait 90 minutes for someone to show up or they invite me to their house and I have to whisper.

Some people just have difficulty with the concept of them not being the most important thing, everywhere, all the time, to everyone.

Anyone complaining about not being able to wake up a baby by being as loud as they want in someone elses house is probably one of those people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Oh great, its the "it didn't do us any harm" brigade. do you feel better after your rant OP. Times change, parenting styles change. Perhaps you need to change too.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Do they drive a Tuscon SUV?

It's always been the case. They're a nightmare to deal with when newborn, the more tired they are the more cross they get. Anytime they're asleep is a blessing for stressed parents, especially first timers.

Whats are talking about, born babies do nothing but sleep and s**t.

If you don't want people messing with your kids routine don't invite them round or call into there's!

It's not someone else's problem what you do with your child.

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Oh great, its the "it didn't do us any harm" brigade. do you feel better after your rant OP. Times change, parenting styles change. Perhaps you need to change too.

Must be one the perpetrators, did the truth cut a bit close to the bone or did you not get enough sleep last night because little one needs to be woke for a feed every three hours else their nutrient levels will be too low?

Candie wrote: »
    Some people just have difficulty with the concept of them not being the most important thing, everywhere, all the time, to everyone.

Anyone complaining about not being able to wake up a baby by being as loud as they want in someone elses house is probably one of those people.

Or maybe don't leave me waiting 90 mins or invite me over to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Whats are talking about, born babies do nothing but sleep and s**t.

Have you not had kids yourself or did you just not take part in the raising of them?

You seem to mostly be struggling with the idea that other people may not prioritize the same things that you do. You're going to find relationships consistently difficult.

If it bothers you so much, don't be friends with new parents. I think they'll be better off at least.

Do they drive a Tuscon SUV?

or any SUV................or a MINI COUNTRYMAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Those people were probably annoying to you pre-baby too, OP.

Some of what you describe does sound a bit precious. I agree with you that sleeping babies need to get accustomed to household noises.

But if some of these folks are new parents, give them a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭NSAman

Oh No... don't get me started on this thread...;)

Yes new parents have a precious little dahhhhhling and they are happy...as we all are for them. What irks the hell out of me is "some" have to tell everyone everything about IT. Fine for 10 minutes, not for the whole frigging night or making the conversation all about the precious little dahhhling.

God forbid the little dahhhling is as ugly as sin,,, you just have to say they are lovely and so cute..... GOM here..;)

• Advertisement

Have you not had kids yourself or did you just not take part in the raising of them?

You seem to mostly be struggling with the idea that other people may not prioritize the same things that you do. You're going to find relationships consistently difficult.

If it bothers you so much, don't be friends with new parents. I think they'll be better off at least.

Unlike you I don't make decisions for other people on whether or not they should have children and I'm not the one who is turning up 90 mins late or inviting people over to my house for a whispering contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I hate the ones when they are in the shops , on the bus or just out and about and they like to shout about what the kids are doing.

OHHHH LITTLE JIM, YOUR FUNNY, OHHH HAHAHAHAHA WHAT ARE YOU DOING. Then they start looking around the place to see if you are looking.

Yes yes yes I can hear you but no I don't want to look, **** off please.

Must be one the perpetrators, did the truth cut a bit close to the bone or did you not get enough sleep last night because little one needs to be woke for a feed every three hours else their nutrient levels will be too low?

Human newborns wake every few hours for a feed, day or night. If they wake themselves, they will cry a lot. The sound is distressing to humans, even more so to the parent humans who have formed what is called "emotional attachment" to the human neworn. I'm explaining this to you in terms a robot might understand. I hope that's helpful.

So anyway, you can wake em yourself or not, but either way you're getting up.

Again, this indicates you lack even the most basic knowledge of child-rearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

OP clearly doesn't have kids. If you did, you would understand.

Unlike you I don't make decisions for other people on whether or not they should have children and I'm not the one who is turning up 90 mins late or inviting people over to my house for a whispering contest.

I make decisions for others on whether they should have children?

davo2001 wrote: »
    OP clearly doesn't have kids. If you did, you would understand.

Understand what? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭NSAman

[HTML][/HTML]

You are missing how annoying some new parents can be...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Little feckers are hard enough to get to sleep, why would you wake them up for a cranky git who will complain about something anyway.

NSAman wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

You are missing how annoying some new parents can be...;)

I'm well aware unfortunately.

• Advertisement

All of it. Ah that's not fair. He mentioned babies sleep and poop, so it's just everything except those two facts. Which are broadly applicable to people, so probably not as insightful as he thought.

Advertisement