Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Males Need Not Apply - British Police Ad

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't get what's stopping anyone of any minority race from applying for the job so I don't see the logic of saying whites can't apply. It's not like if whites apply that stops any other minority racial demographic from applying. If the police force wish to adhere to quotas they they can just do that no matter who applies. It's absurd to think that a racial minority would be more inclined to apply because of this advert if they really wanted the bloody job in the first place. Unless they feel they may be less likely to work with white colleagues which is a pretty racist position to take.
    There may be 'nothing stopping' them from applying, but that doesn't change the reality that, in general, minority groups are not applying to join the police.

So if a little outreach programme like this gets a few such people to apply and hopefully qualify to join, isn't that a positive development?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Andrew, just how can you justify a workshop for potential applicants thats excludes a group or race? There is no justification for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I think there are a number of separate issues being conflated here.

Targeted advertising to inform diverse populations that they're welcome to apply for a public role - I think that's ok.

Structuring the appointment process to give an advantage or disadvantage to some candidates based on the colour of their skin, or their genitalia - not on.

To be fair, the advertisement being discussed strays slightly into the latter in offering a workshop to minorities only. But I can't imagine them kicking a white guy out if he turned up? Or I suppose it's not too different from me popping across the road for some hints from my neighbour "Dave" who happens to be a policeman. The likelihood of having such a neighbour probably does depend on the community where where you live.

I do think it's very different to the BBC ad that somebody posted to this thread. That ad was a disgrace. I can't understand how it's legal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,640 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There may be 'nothing stopping' them from applying, but that doesn't change the reality that, in general, minority groups are not applying to join the police.

So if a little outreach programme like this gets a few such people to apply and hopefully qualify to join, isn't that a positive development?
    No. You don't want to be picking up people just because of their skin colour if they are not going to be as good at the job as the white people who might apply to an open competition.
    It should always be open to everyone and those deemed best get the job. There is nothing racist about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Getting worked up about recruitment in a different country- do ye seek out shít to be offended by now?

People get worked up about injustice and unfairness no matter where it happens, It is annoying that some organisations lack common sense. In regards to the "we just want a diverse...whatever" this should not even be a thing, They are all British and should not be slicing up the cake IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Getting worked up about recruitment in a different country- do ye seek out shít to be offended by now?

People get worked up about injustice and unfairness no matter where it happens, It is annoying that some organisations lack common sense. In regards to the "we just want a diverse...whatever" this should not even be a thing, They are all British and should not be slicing up the cake IMO.

But there was no injustice- a misunderstanding and a rampage more like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

True, however there's a historic shortfall that needs to be addressed, hence the need for a 'more diverse' force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Odhinn wrote: »
    True, however there's a historic shortfall that needs to be addressed, hence the need for a 'more diverse' force.

I’m generally a meritocrat but I once read an article about a study that showed that job applicants with Middle Eastern- or African-sounding names are a good bit less likely to be called for interview, even with comparable qualifications and experience than the people invited to interview. Or just comparable qualifications in the case of new graduates.

It’s a long time since I read the article so I don’t know where to find the study but if there is some truth to it, it means that some people are being held back despite having the credentials. They are not even getting a chance to demonstrate whether or not they have the aptitude for the job. We don’t really operate in a true system of meritocracy if that’s the case.

It’s food for thought anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Sure white males will have to apply in the end, someone has to fill the slots and they're the only ones who actually want to work :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

How many of the people complaining about this actually want to be police officers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

• Registered Users Posts: 37,640 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

El_Bee wrote:
    How many of the people complaining about this actually want to be police officers?
    What has that got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Andrew, just how can you justify a workshop for potential applicants thats excludes a group or race? There is no justification for it.

They have a problem with recruitment, in that black and Asian people aren't applying in significant numbers. So they're running a workshop to increase those numbers. Everybody can still apply for the posts, and the recruitment process will people the best applicants.

eagle eye wrote: »
    No. You don't want to be picking up people just because of their skin colour if they are not going to be as good at the job as the white people who might apply to an open competition.
    It should always be open to everyone and those deemed best get the job. There is nothing racist about that.
    They're not picking people because of their skin colour. They're getting more applications from some groups that haven't traditionally taken part in recruitment, then they will pick the best candidates, regardless of skin colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well turns out white males are discriminated against for police jobs.

https://news.sky.com/story/cheshire-police-man-rejected-for-job-for-being-white-and-straight-tribunal-finds-11645525

"A man was denied his dream job in the police "simply because he was a white, heterosexual male", his lawyers said after Cheshire Police was found guilty of discrimination."

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It could take 100 years for the Met Police to reflect the population of London.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/02/19/could-take-100-years-make-met-police-representative-london-force/

Only 14 per cent of police officers in the capital are from BAME (black and ethnic minority) communities, compared to 43 per cent of the London population.

Advertisement