Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick marathon 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

deisedude wrote:
    I'm signed up because its suits my training schedule for Cork full but the half is an outrageous price

Yep and you'll hear a lot of debate here locally about that exact topic. It's the reason a lot of people refuse to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Signed up for the half last night...it'll be my first time doing this distance in Limerick - did the marathon the first year and the 6 miler for the last few years so kinda looking forward to it even though I'm not really in great running form at the minute.

I'm assuming there will be pacers? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Pacemakers at at 1hr 30mins, 1hr 40 mins, 1hr 50mins, 2 hrs and 2hrs 10mins.

It's on outrageous price for a half. I'll be doing it myself as I live in Limerick but if it was further a field I'd think twice.

Pacemakers at at 1hr 30mins, 1hr 40 mins, 1hr 50mins, 2 hrs and 2hrs 10mins.

It's on outrageous price for a half. I'll be doing it myself as I live in Limerick but if it was further a field I'd think twice.

Agreed - I was actually lucky enough to get a complimentary entry through a very tenuous connection with one of the sponsors....other than that I probably wouldn't be doing it tbh.

Anyway, training is tipping along ok actually for me at the minute, did 22.5 km yesterday and felt grand so hopefully I can avoid injury and illness over the next few weeks.

Will be aiming for a sub 90 mins if all goes well, PB currently at 93 mins from late last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Pacers for the full will be available at 3hrs, 3hrs 15mins, 3 hrs 30 mins, 3 hrs 45 mins, 4hrs, 4 hrs 30 mins and 5hrs.

As much as I'd love to pop in with the 3hrs 45 mins, I'll have to be realistic and go for 4hrs.

Though I'd be happy with 3:59:59..... haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Pacers for the full will be available at 3hrs, 3hrs 15mins, 3 hrs 30 mins, 3 hrs 45 mins, 4hrs, 4 hrs 30 mins and 5hrs.

As much as I'd love to pop in with the 3hrs 45 mins, I'll have to be realistic and go for 4hrs.

Though I'd be happy with 3:59:30..... haha

If you on my bus thats the eta :)

Lovely work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

12 days to go...

Many here doing it?

Yep...not long to go now...training actually going ok for a change lately.

This isn't my target race at all really, might go out with the 1:30 pacers in the half and see how long I can hold on.

Many here doing it?

12 days to go...

Down for the marathon, friend too.

Wife and two other friends for the half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

12 days to go...

Many here doing it?

Signed up for the half myself

Many here doing it?

We have a team in for the relay marathon which should be a bit of craic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

12 days to go...

Many here doing it?

Yup, all part of my penance for giving Comrades another go in June :)

Anyone know if they mile markers are up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

In for the Half....looking forward to it.

Nope not that I have noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Miles are all marked on the road. Saw them over the weekend

Nice one. Will run the first 8 miles of the half tomorrow.

Most of them are. Some need to be redone.

Mile 20 on O Connell Avenue is beside the footpath under parked cars.
    Mile 2 likewise on the other side of the same road. So either parking is restricted or markers need to move

Mile 16 at the Roundabout entering Dooradoyle is on the opposite side of the road but I assume barriers/small white road arrows will navigate..

I noticed a "halfway" but no mile 13

All the Half Marathon markers are there.

Cheers, Did the full in 2015. The half in 2014 and 2016. In for the half again this year. Looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Dropped down to the half.... May aim for sub 1:30.........

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Got my race pack in the post yesterday - the long sleeve shirt is going straight into my gardening/painting clothes pile.

Pity as although I don't do these races for the shirts, the Limerick ones have been great quality and fit on me previously. This year's is oversized, thin material and garish colour.

Would be great if races made t-shirt optional to save a few euro!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Got my race pack in the post yesterday - the long sleeve shirt is going straight into my gardening/painting clothes pile.

Pity as although I don't do these races for the shirts, the Limerick ones have been great quality and fit on me previously. This year's is oversized, thin material and garish colour.

I've actually fashioned a nice sail out of last year's top and will be sailing down to Limerick :) As you said the T shirt isn't a huge issue for most on here, but it's always nice when they're decent. On a separate note, I've never understood how Asics can be one of the sponsors of DCM and not provide the finishers
    t shirts. Obv the existing shirts would cost less I'd imagine, but still.....an Asics shirt would be nice. A couple of the Paris finishers shirts have looked decent when I've seen them about....

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Limerick91

I presume based on the maps on the website that the route for the half marathon is the same.

However there are some markings on the road by Treaty Stone, did anybody see these

Limerick91 wrote: »
    I presume based on the maps on the website that the route for the half marathon is the same.

However there are some markings on the road by Treaty Stone, did anybody see these
    What kind of marking? I've seen all the half marathon mile markings and they are all as per the route map. There are a lot of other markings around the city off the route which I've guessed correspond to barriers for croud/traffic diversion. It would make sense to have one at the treaty stone to stop anyone driving down Clancy Strand to the closed Ennis Road barrier

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help.

I am doing the Limerick Marathon on the 5th of May for the first time. I was hoping to drive down early and drive home to Dublin afterwards(once I am alive!).

First question, can anyone recommend somewhere near the starting point to park for the day?

Second, in terms of a shower afterwards, are there any local gyms around anyone knows of that would allow someone to pay to use for a day? Or even a large stop off on the motorway outside the city that has showers(I know an Applegreen in Kildare has them).

I know many would say “use Google!”, but Boards is normally as good a place as any to be put in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’m doing the half and the t-shirt is huge. I don’t have time to go up the day before to swap it either. 2 years ago they were tiny sizes and wouldn’t fit. Last year they were huge so I went up early on Saturday to change it and went for a smaller size this year and huge again. It’s very annoying! I now have a large that’s too small from 2 years ago, the medium fit last year and now the medium this year is like an xl.

Kunkka wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can help.

I am doing the Limerick Marathon on the 5th of May for the first time. I was hoping to drive down early and drive home to Dublin afterwards(once I am alive!).

First question, can anyone recommend somewhere near the starting point to park for the day?

Second, in terms of a shower afterwards, are there any local gyms around anyone knows of that would allow someone to pay to use for a day? Or even a large stop off on the motorway outside the city that has showers(I know an Applegreen in Kildare has them).

I know many would say “use Google!”, but Boards is normally as good a place as any to be put in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about parking - I did the marathon a few years ago and town was very very quiet that morning.

Any on-street parking is fine imho - also worth noting that Limerick 'city' centre is quite small so no matter where you go you won't be more than a few blocks from the start line.

From memory I think I parked halfway down Thomas St. but, as I said, there should be plenty of options available.

Not too sure about shower options tbh - hopefully someone else can help with that. The ObamaPlaza in Moneygall definitely would but can't think of anywhere else closer at the minute

Would you not consider staying in a Travelodge or somewhere like that the night before?? Early start + 2-3 hours driving isn't ideal before a marathon imho

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Cartman78 wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about parking - I did the marathon a few years ago and town was very very quiet that morning.

Any on-street parking is fine imho - also worth noting that Limerick 'city' centre is quite small so no matter where you go you won't be more than a few blocks from the start line.

From memory I think I parked halfway down Thomas St. but, as I said, there should be plenty of options available.

Not too sure about shower options tbh - hopefully someone else can help with that. The ObamaPlaza in Moneygall definitely would but can't think of anywhere else closer at the minute

Would you not consider staying in a Travelodge or somewhere like that the night before?? Early start + 2-3 hours driving isn't ideal before a marathon imho

Cheers!

I have something on the Saturday before in Dublin and then need to be back by Sunday evening so it really is being squeezed in.. You’re probably right though, I might look at staying somewhere the night before and ask for a late check out.

• Advertisement

Folks,
    When I did it 4 years back there was a bag drop in a school on O'Connell Ave. And lovely pub just across the road....

Anyone know if its the same again? Cheers

Advertisement