Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick marathon 2019

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

1hr 28 46s for myself. Thought I was going great at the 10k stage in 40:14. Wheels fell of at about the 10 mile marker. Just stuck in there at 7 min miles to get to the end. Heat killed me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

Congratulations on some great runs there & to Kellygirl who I bumped into at the baggage area on the shiny new PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

opus wrote: »
    Congratulations on some great runs there & to Kellygirl who I bumped into at the baggage area on the shiny new PB.

Thanks Opus. Was good to meet you and Healy1835 earlier too.

It was a brilliant day. Limerick was amazing. Support the whole way round (for the half anyway). Very very happy with my pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Hope everyone recovering well today....has anyone got any links to photos available yet??

Felt like I had my picture taken a hundred times yesterday but haven't found anything online

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Hope everyone recovering well today....has anyone got any links to photos available yet??

Felt like I had my picture taken a hundred times yesterday but haven't found anything online

Flux Athletic have some on their Facebook page but I haven’t seen any others. There were photographers everywhere so hopefully we’ll find them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

I ran the marathon yesterday. Parking was plentiful and got a spot right beside the start.

The course route was poor in my opinion. Way too many times that the course was ran into tight bends and corners. The part running the buildings in UL is pretty strange. The out and backs are boring.

Having the half marathon and marathon joining together really led to over congestion. Had to run for miles overtaking people doing the half.

I would ban the use of headphones when combined three races together. Its dangerous.

This is the second time I have ran the marathon. I wont be back to do it again.

The showcase event is the 6 mile race

Good atmosphere and support in parts too

greenplain wrote: »
    I ran the marathon yesterday. Parking was plentiful and got a spot right beside the start.

The course route was poor in my opinion. Way too many times that the course was ran into tight bends and corners. The part running the buildings in UL is pretty strange. The put and backs are boring.

Having the half marathon and marathon joining together really led to over congestion. Had to run for miles overtaking people doing the half.

I would ban the use of headphones when combined three races together. Its dangerous.

Theis is the second time I have ran the marathon. I wont be back to do it again.

I loved the half but in my first half mile the 3:15 marathon pacers came steaming through and I did feel sorry for them trying to get through the congestion.

I totally agree with the point about banning earphones. I don’t see why people need them considering the atmosphere and support. One girl wearing them bumped right into me and knocked me sideways. She was totally unaware what was going on around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Apple green has them at exit 27 Birdhill on the way out of limerick on the motorway

This was the option I took, and was perfect, so thanks for that and for anyone else who gave me some help. A tastey Burger King was also had on the way back..

Wasn't expecting much with this marathon as I hadn't trained as well as with the DCM in the past so was hoping to do it in 4:30 and just went over that time so happy enough I guess. Some proper prep for the DCM in October now in the hope of finally breaking the 4 hr barrier I have been so close to in the past(4:03 a few years ago). On one positive note I did a PB on the first 10k :D , as I did it with the 4hr pacers at about 52 minutes.. turned out to be a bit of a mistake to go at that pace as I slowed down big time after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Boom, was looking for Sub4 and managed to do it. Huge thanks to the pacer from the Banner County who really pushed us on. Especially on the Ennis Road heading to the finish.

Stairs are definitely not my friend today. But still smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Boom, was looking for Sub4 and managed to do it. Huge thanks to the pacer from the Banner County who really pushed us on. Especially on the Ennis Road heading to the finish.

Stairs are definitely not my friend today. But still smiling.

Congrats! Happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

greenplain wrote: »

The course route was poor in my opinion. Way too many times that the course was ran into tight bends and corners. The part running the buildings in UL is pretty strange. The out and backs are boring.

This is the second time I have ran the marathon. I wont be back to do it again.

The showcase event is the 6 mile race

I ran the full too, the bit tacked on at UL was a pain in the hole. Also going out Rosbrien road was tough enough without having half runners flying past on the other side heading into town. The second half makes it a tough Marathon, all the hills come when you could really do without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

1:36 and a bit, second half marathon, had gone just over 1:40 in my first quite recently.
    I'm guessing it's quite an easy course, Limerick is so flat, I started off a little quicker than I intended but kept it up as I was comfortable until about 11 miles, the last two were difficult, the sun was intense and there was no shade, that 'hill' from the Gaelic Grounds that I had regularly laughed at when people referred to it as 'Limerick's heartbreak hill' was bloody tough but once at the top it was a handy run in, great support from the bridge to the finish,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I wouldn't say it's an easy course by any means...Clonmel and Charleville would be quicker imho.

It's definitely the only race I've done preceded by a bishops blessing....felt like an episode of Fr. Ted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'm guessing it's quite an easy course, Limerick is so flat,

Controversial! I wouldn't call it easy but it's probably not the worst. Get yourself to Charleville in September and you'll do well!

1:36 and a bit, second half marathon, had gone just over 1:40 in my first quite recently.
    I'm guessing it's quite an easy course, Limerick is so flat, I started off a little quicker than I intended but kept it up as I was comfortable until about 11 miles, the last two were difficult, the sun was intense and there was no shade, that 'hill' from the Gaelic Grounds that I had regularly laughed at when people referred to it as 'Limerick's heartbreak hill' was bloody tough but once at the top it was a handy run in, great support from the bridge to the finish,

Funnily enough I find it is a very undulating course from start to finish. I think there’s very few flat parts. No serious hills but lots of drags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Funnily enough I find it is a very undulating course from start to finish. I think there’s very few flat parts. No serious hills but lots of drags.

That’s good to know, the only notable hills for me were the long one from the Gaelic grounds towards town and one short one behind the Gaelic grounds, I felt most was very flat, the North Circular Road from about mile 9 to 11 is flat thankfully

That’s good to know, the only notable hills for me were the long one from the Gaelic grounds towards town and one short one behind the Gaelic grounds, I felt most was very flat, the North Circular Road from about mile 9 to 11 is flat thankfully

They were notable alright. The other drags aren’t too bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's an easy course by any means...Clonmel and Charleville would be quicker imho.

It's definitely the only race I've done preceded by a bishops blessing....felt like an episode of Fr. Ted :-)

Ya, i'd agree. Clonmel and Charelville are certainly easier courses. I've never got near my PB from Charleville on any other course!

deisedude wrote:
    Ya, i'd agree. Clonmel and Charelville are certainly easier courses. I've never got near my PB from Charleville on any other course!

When ye say clonmel do ye mean the Boston Scientific one in August? That didn't look flat to me when I saw the profile. Only reason I ask is I'm considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

When ye say clonmel do ye mean the Boston Scientific one in August? That didn't look flat to me when I saw the profile. Only reason I ask is I'm considering it.

Only significant hill in that is in last 1.5 miles or so with a flat, fast section to finish. Apart from that it’s up & down but nothing to serious at all. Great race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ya thats the one. i'd echo what Oonegative says. Only significant hill is the one in the last mile and a half. Super fast finish

Cheers lads. I saw the profile and it looked like a constant drag for the first few miles and a category 5 hill at mile 11. I guess those elevation profiles can be misleading. Not that I'm allergic to hills but always nice to get a reasonably unpunishing route from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

Cheers lads. I saw the profile and it looked like a constant drag for the first few miles and a category 5 hill at mile 11. I guess those elevation profiles can be misleading. Not that I'm allergic to hills but always nice to get a reasonably unpunishing route from time to time.

Clonmel is a great race super organised and good quality field. First 2 miles are gradual uphill on the bypass but plenty downhill running after this on country roads. Relatively flat then until you get back into town where it's uphill. Important not to go too fast here as the finishing section is the a gradual downhill similar to first 2 miles. Not as flat as Charleville but times are pretty comparable if you look at certain runners time comparisons.

Advertisement