Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick marathon 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Folks,
    When I did it 4 years back there was a bag drop in a school on O'Connell Ave. And lovely pub just across the road....

Anyone know if its the same again? Cheers

Last two years the bag drop has been St Michael's church at the rear of the start area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dante

I got my race pack in the post yesterday and the t-shirt is like a belly top on me. Is it possinle to exchange it before the race for a bigger size?

I'm signed up for the half marathon, looking forward to it now. From what I read its a fairly flat course, are there any hills of note along the half route?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'm signed up for the half marathon, looking forward to it now. From what I read its a fairly flat course, are there any hills of note along the half route?

Short drag a couple of miles in past old crescent rugby, short drag up on to O'Connell st around 5 miles in past lidl. Pretty flat from miles 5 to 10 and then it gets a little unpleasant for a couple of miles in particular the hill back up to the GAA grounds. Not the worst course but it's not Charleville either.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Kunkka wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can help.

I am doing the Limerick Marathon on the 5th of May for the first time. I was hoping to drive down early and drive home to Dublin afterwards(once I am alive!).

First question, can anyone recommend somewhere near the starting point to park for the day?

Second, in terms of a shower afterwards, are there any local gyms around anyone knows of that would allow someone to pay to use for a day? Or even a large stop off on the motorway outside the city that has showers(I know an Applegreen in Kildare has them).

I know many would say “use Google!”, but Boards is normally as good a place as any to be put in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Maybe pay for a swim in grove island pool in Corbally. You could have a jacuzzi and swim.
    Maybe park near the train station if coming from
    Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Maybe pay for a swim in grove island pool in Corbally. You could have a jacuzzi and swim.
    Maybe park near the train station if coming from
    Dublin

There are showers in the Apple green just off the motorway at birdhill exit if that helps. Exit 27.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Kunkka wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping someone can help.

I am doing the Limerick Marathon on the 5th of May for the first time. I was hoping to drive down early and drive home to Dublin afterwards(once I am alive!).

First question, can anyone recommend somewhere near the starting point to park for the day?

Second, in terms of a shower afterwards, are there any local gyms around anyone knows of that would allow someone to pay to use for a day? Or even a large stop off on the motorway outside the city that has showers(I know an Applegreen in Kildare has them).

I know many would say “use Google!”, but Boards is normally as good a place as any to be put in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Apple green has them at exit 27 Birdhill on the way out of limerick on the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Weather conditions look perfect for running!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Weather conditions look perfect for running!

They have been very changeable the last week but sure do look positive for Sunday morning!

Mostly sunny, 10-13 degrees, light SE wind, 64% humidity.... fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Dropped down to the half.... May aim for sub 1:30.........

I may have to revise that time downwards after working too hard
    to dip under 20 mins for a 5k tonight :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Ah no fear of you. Take it easy until Sunday and you'll dip under 1:30 with ease

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Tick tock... Getting close now. Last few days wait always a killer.

Good thing I've plenty of box sets to catch up on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Not doing the Marathon but just said would post here. Meant to send email ages ago to see if possible to switch from half marathon to 10km? Completely forgot. Def don’t have enough training done for the half. Just sent email there so fingers crossed - know there was an option regarding to have entry sent by post but thought would be in lmk day before and staying down but not staying down night before but night after run. Live an hour drive from lmk so looks like i’ll have to drive up and down. Never understood why they can’t have option of giving out numbers on the day in venue in twn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Have you seen how many people run it? Not something an organizer would want to be doing on race day.

Quick one on the mile markers. The marks on the ground are generally accurate but the posters with the mile markers may be attached the next nearest pole (or the one not covered in campaign posters). So if going by those posters you could be 5-10 secs off on your watch at times. Don't stress though, the overall course is accurate!

I see there is a car leading the marathon race this year.

It will be a big squeeze on the Rosbrien Road when the bulk of the half marathon runners come against the leader

• Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone know of any local or national elites that have entered??

I know a few ran London last week so will be out of the frame.

I would not think the prize money is big enough for elites

Limerick91 wrote: »
    I would not think the prize money is big enough for elites

I should have put elites in quotations I guess ;)

I'm not talking world class level here...I guess Freddy Sittuk might pop down (?) I think Sergiu Cionbanu has made a couple of appearances as well in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I should have put elites in quotations I guess ;)

I'm not talking world class level here...I guess Freddy Sittuk might pop down (?) I think Sergiu Cionbanu has made a couple of appearances as well in recent years

Peter Somba is down to run the half, Peter Mooney and Sergio running the marathon per the tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Just tipped out this evening for half an hour ahead of the HM on Sunday. Training has been distinctly average for this with only 2 long runs done. 10 miles 2 weekends ago and 11 miles last weekend. The weather does look promising though.

One thing I can guarantee is though I will improve on last year - the evening before last year's run I went to my local after a hurling match and drank 8 pints and tipped home at 11:30. Went down the following morning from Offaly and nearly died going around in the outrageous heat and managed to come in 15 minutes outside of my PB for a HM.

I plan on an early night tomorrow night...there is a hurling match I have to go to at 6 though!! :):)

Happy running to all.

Parking tip by the way - Park on Wolfe Tone St. Only a 3 minute jog from the start.

• Advertisement

Quick one on the mile markers. The marks on the ground are generally accurate but the posters with the mile markers may be attached the next nearest pole (or the one not covered in campaign posters). So if going by those posters you could be 5-10 secs off on your watch at times. Don't stress though, the overall course is accurate!

100% agree with above. Having paced this with the last six years the markers on the poles are well off in some parts.

ger664 wrote: »
    100% agree with above. Having paced this with the last six years the markers on the poles are well off in some parts.

What time do you pace? Is there a usual spot where boardies gather after for a beer?

What time do you pace? Is there a usual spot where boardies gather after for a beer?

Down for 4 hours we used to meet in the George I going to Squre Maguires but that will nearer 3

For those going to the expo. If you are a marathon or marathon relay go inside the front door they are queuing the marathon runners in groups of 20 and bringing you in seperately from the main queue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow! Weather is looking pretty good I must say. Will be running in a Sanctuary Runners t-shirt myself in case you want to say hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Folks, can't seem to find info bar the map in relation to the aid stations.

So we can see when it's water and sports drink. Just wondering do they hand out anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Weather is looking cold, what to wear ?? Singlet &/or baselayer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Weather is looking cold, what to wear ?? Singlet &/or baselayer?

Singlet I think. Will be warm while running.

Good luck everyone.....run strong and long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Anyone know if there is an online tracker for this race??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is an online tracker for this race??

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/rtrt-me/id799017226?mt=8

Advertisement