Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

I have been a member of a club for around 5 years. Handicap has been a high of 25 and low of 18.
    I am currently 19.1 index so the level I have been at has been pretty consistent for quite a while.

The thing that really bothers me is that I am a pretty good driver of the ball, usually better than my playing partners for distance.
    Full shots in general are pretty decent but my chipping, pitching and putting are poor.

The amount of players that say "You shouldn't be off that hcap with the way you drive/hit the ball" is really frustrating.
    I know some will mean it as a compliment but surely they realise that I would prefer to be off a lower hcap and not make a mess of hole when I have myself in prime position off the tee.
    Would it not be some much easier to just say "good drive"?
    There is no underlying hint of an accusation of banditry and I don't have to explain that the reason I am off 19.1 is that I struggle with the short game which then compounds the lack of confidence in my mind about the short game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Rikand wrote: »
    I play a lot less golf these days compared to how I used to and as a result, I find it hard to trigger my back swing as I'm so clogged up in swing thoughts. Takes a few seconds for me to clear my mind and focus on the two thoughts I need to process my swing

I get like this after a swing changing lesson, always feel like I'm over the ball ages and can't force myself to do it for every shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

On sunday we were right with the group ahead of us after 5 holes. By the time the 9th hole came around we had fallen 2 holes behind and the group behind us had caught up and were being held by us. I was level par gross for those 4 holes but still the comments on the 10th tee were aimed at me and that "we" needed to quicken up. Surely if I'm hitting less shots than everyone else, I can afford to spend more time setting myself up to hit ?

I must get someone to time me sometime. Considering I take no practice swings I should be able to match most people for time it takes to hit a shot

Losing two holes in five holes is not acceptable at anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Losing two holes in five holes is not acceptable at anytime.

I read that as losing 2 holes in following 3 holes, and was 2 holes behind starting the 9th.

All things being equal and him taking an extra 10 secs over the ball per shot, that's not enough drop behind that quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

I read that as losing 2 holes in following 3 holes, and was 2 holes behind starting the 9th.

All things being equal and him taking an extra 10 secs over the ball per shot, that's not enough drop behind that quickly.

Even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

srfc d16 wrote: »
    I have been a member of a club for around 5 years. Handicap has been a high of 25 and low of 18.
    I am currently 19.1 index so the level I have been at has been pretty consistent for quite a while.

The thing that really bothers me is that I am a pretty good driver of the ball, usually better than my playing partners for distance.
    Full shots in general are pretty decent but my chipping, pitching and putting are poor.

The amount of players that say "You shouldn't be off that hcap with the way you drive/hit the ball" is really frustrating.
    I know some will mean it as a compliment but surely they realise that I would prefer to be off a lower hcap and not make a mess of hole when I have myself in prime position off the tee.
    Would it not be some much easier to just say "good drive"?
    There is no underlying hint of an accusation of banditry and I don't have to explain that the reason I am off 19.1 is that I struggle with the short game which then compounds the lack of confidence in my mind about the short game

I used to play with my father and his friends a bit. They were around 60, I was late 20s, so obviously had a lot more distance than them. And so often after we all get a bogey one of them would come out with "there's no point in hitting it that far if you're not going to get the par."

Thanks for that nugget!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

blue note wrote: »
    Walking quickly between shots only works if your playing partners are walking quickly too. Unless you walk off on them but even then if they're further from the hole you'll have to wait for them to play anyway. You can't walk out in front of them.

10 seconds to stand over a ball is a long time. I wonder does it just feel that long but in fact is only half that.

Yes, that's true to an extent & probably in this case tbf (with a 10 sec wait over the ball, which must be awful to play, play with, wait for & watch, etc, etc).

But for many players who use range finders, etc, by walking fast & forward to your ball, (provided you're not directly along the target lines of your fellow players) you can be ready to play, with your right club in hand, after visualisation & sussing line, wind, etc. Even if you're directly ahead you can pull off to the side so that you can get your distance, etc ahead of time.

Then when your playing partner has hit their shot, you're ready to play. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

I used to play with my father and his friends a bit. They were around 60, I was late 20s, so obviously had a lot more distance than them. And so often after we all get a bogey one of them would come out with "there's no point in hitting it that far if you're not going to get the par."

Thanks for that nugget!

I hate it too. I hit it pretty far, but nothing special for my age and handicap (30, 8). When I'm playing with older lads that can't hit it far anymore they think I'm Bryson and are constantly going on that I should be lower etc. The thing about hitting it far is that your misses are lot further too, which is my big problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

On sunday we were right with the group ahead of us after 5 holes. By the time the 9th hole came around we had fallen 2 holes behind and the group behind us had caught up and were being held by us. I was level par gross for those 4 holes but still the comments on the 10th tee were aimed at me and that "we" needed to quicken up. Surely if I'm hitting less shots than everyone else, I can afford to spend more time setting myself up to hit ?

I must get someone to time me sometime. Considering I take no practice swings I should be able to match most people for time it takes to hit a shot

Did something happen in the group? Lose a ball or something like that? Your routine was good enough to keep up with them for 5 holes so I'm not sure how it could be you, by the sounds of it your routine is consistent and probably a similar time for each shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Thanks for that nugget!
    OEP wrote: »
    I hate it too. I hit it pretty far, but nothing special for my age and handicap (30, 8). When I'm playing with older lads that can't hit it far anymore they think I'm Bryson and are constantly going on that I should be lower etc. The thing about hitting it far is that your misses are lot further too, which is my big problem!

Thats a common enough one allright, there's a drivable par 4 in Carlow. Typically when playing casual 9 hole rounds I'll often go for it. Sometimes it works out and I'm green side or thereabouts, sometimes doesn't and I'm stuck in trees or out of position. A certain type of golfer seems to love it when it goes wrong, 'not much good hitting it that far if you can't keep it straight' or 'should just be taking an iron there'. If its a comp I doubt I'd ever go for it unless conditions were right but I'm not keeping score, just out for an evening game and want to have some fun. Even when I say I wouldn't do it in a comp I'm still lectured about course management by these sorts. Good golf is often boring golf I'm well aware but sometimes you just want to have fun and see how far you can drive it.

Another common one you hear is lads giving out about younger players playing 'like its a long drive' competition. Let them on if that's how they want to play the game, don't see why people have to get smart about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

thewobbler wrote: »
    I’m intrigued by this “10 second” rule.

Is it okay to spend 15-20 seconds lining up and practice swinging, as long as you only spend a maximum of 5 seconds in the address position?

Or is 10 seconds in the address position acceptable so long as that’s the sum of your pre shot routine?

Or neither?

——

This strikes me as exceptionally impatient.

In theory you have 40 seconds to hit the ball from the point of "it's your go now". That includes taking a yardage, selecting your club, practice swings, stall over the ball, and hit.

But even that's too long.

So have your yardage, and club ready to go, or putt lined up beforehand, then take 10-15 secs max practice swing and hitting.

If ye play with the same people all the time, which I try to, then everyone just knows what's the right time, where to stand, when to hit, and still have a laugh and a joke along the way because if ye can't do that there's really no point to it

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

I’m a casual golfer and tend to play with like-minded people so not a lot annoys me. Rather I’m baffled by he number of golfers who don’t seem to be enjoying themselves. It’s almost as if it’s a chore for them to be out on the course. No smiling, no banter. Very odd. By the time you get to the course, play your round, maybe have a cuppa afterwards and drive home you’re often talking about 6/7 hours out of your day. Why do that if you’re going to just be a miserable git? It’s only a game. Lighten up for Pete’s sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    In theory you have 40 seconds to hit the ball from the point of "it's your go now". That includes taking a yardage, selecting your club, practice swings, stall over the ball, and hit.

But even that's too long.

So have your yardage, and club ready to go, or putt lined up beforehand, then take 10-15 secs max practice swing and hitting.

If ye play with the same people all the time, which I try to, then everyone just knows what's the right time, where to stand, when to hit, and still have a laugh and a joke along the way because if ye can't do that there's really no point to it

The scenario you’re describing, while pleasing and welcome, is a fair bit bumpier in the real world, where there’s holes that cross, players that unwittingly cross each other’s holes, plugged balls, disappearing balls, plus it’s often not safe to walk ahead of the next player’s ball to your own.

——

Slow play winds me up, and I’m just as likely to get would up by the wilfully ignorant (excessive pre shot routine) as the unknowingly ignorant (out of position, not paying attention).

But it probably does wind me up more again when mates get tetchy about the general pace of play, and instead of relaxing into it, get obsessed about it. As long as the group in front is keeping up with the group in front, then take a few more practice swings and think about your game a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

etxp wrote: »
    Did something happen in the group? Lose a ball or something like that? Your routine was good enough to keep up with them for 5 holes so I'm not sure how it could be you, by the sounds of it your routine is consistent and probably a similar time for each shot.

No, no lost balls. I honestly cant think of where we lost the ground. But we did lose it. I'd play ready golf myself and I'd normally just run up to tee off first whether it was my turn to hit or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I'm surprised some of you people are able to concentrate on the course with all these gripes.

As long as we are keeping up with the group in front, I could care less about excessive range findering or practice swings etc.. of a playing partner. These are things out of my control which make zero impact to how I execute my next shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

As bad as the slow play is the speed merchants. When I joined my current course I played early one Sunday morning with 3 older lads. On the first green I bent down to look at a putt & one said to ‘stop that ****e it’s in the same place as last week’. (I wasn’t a member the week before!). They basically ran around the 18 holes without lining up a shot or getting a yardage. At the end someone in the car park asked one how he got on and the answer was ‘disappointing - 3 hrs 10’

Never again

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

I’m a casual golfer and tend to play with like-minded people so not a lot annoys me. Rather I’m baffled by he number of golfers who don’t seem to be enjoying themselves. It’s almost as if it’s a chore for them to be out on the course. No smiling, no banter. Very odd. By the time you get to the course, play your round, maybe have a cuppa afterwards and drive home you’re often talking about 6/7 hours out of your day. Why do that if you’re going to just be a miserable git? It’s only a game. Lighten up for Pete’s sake.
    Hear hear. I try to be light hearted and positive on the course, but I actually can get quite depressed after a bad round (which there have been a lot of lately). A lot of golfers put pressure on themselves to play well and have high expectations I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Charli0

I am new player with a short build and I hate it when thing are too big for my hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

My inability to hit 3 good shots in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

Charli0 wrote: »
    I am new player with a short build and I hate it when thing are too big for my hand
    Not sure what you're on about dude, can you try again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks to all for the info re dress code for juniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Players who just go through the motions, don't care about how they're playing. They tend to bring me down.

Slow play.

Loud people on the course not respecting others.

Not repairing divots or pitch marks.

The rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

Corkblowin wrote: »
    As bad as the slow play is the speed merchants. When I joined my current course I played early one Sunday morning with 3 older lads. On the first green I bent down to look at a putt & one said to ‘stop that ****e it’s in the same place as last week’. (I wasn’t a member the week before!). They basically ran around the 18 holes without lining up a shot or getting a yardage. At the end someone in the car park asked one how he got on and the answer was ‘disappointing - 3 hrs 10’

Never again

I know of a group at my local course who are the very same. They discuss their score in hours and mins at the end of a round! Just walk up to their ball and puck it in the general direction of the green and then walk after it. And then get frustrated if they've to wait 2mins behind a group of 20+ handicappers. I don't think any of the 4 lads in question ever return a good score but they're happy as long as their fourball is done in 3.5hrs.

I don't like slow play but some people are obsessional about it. If you don't have 4-4.5hrs to play 18 holes on a Sat / Sun morning you've no business on the course. Best stick to Monday mornings if it's a 3.5hrs fourball you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Sorry to drag this back into the "slow play" discussion...but...

I've been trying to figure out why I do the things that I do before a shot and really see if I'm being excessive in taking time before a shot. I'm a high handicapper so please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong but for me I feel the following are necessary before I take a shot. Keep in mind I'm working towards getting my handicap down to 18 from 29 this year. (I'm just new back to playing golf since I was a child)

1. Check Yardage. (gps watch)
    2. Check Lie.
    3. Choose club.
    4. Choose target line/approach area
    5. Visualize flight path.
    6. Practice swing (enough power? too much power? enough acceleration? good connection/bounce?)
    7. Fix my grip.
    8. Check aim of feet and shoulders.
    9. Hit ball

Personally I feel that in order for me to get better at golf these are the considerations I should be putting into each shot (obviously not necessary for each putt or drive). If I don't do these things before my long irons, short irons, short wedge shots, bunker shots and chips, then I'm only putting myself in a position where I mess up a shot and as a result a hole and if this happens numerous times...then the round completely.

I dont want to be holding anyone up and honestly I dont usually feel I am. In order to get these things correct, saying you have 40 seconds to hit the ball might sound like an awful lot to someone who is playing off 10, but when you dont have the experience to be able to just take all these things into consideration at a glance it takes longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

IK09 wrote: »

I've been trying to figure out why I do the things that I do before a shot and really see if I'm being excessive in taking time before a shot. I'm a high handicapper so please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong but for me I feel the following are necessary before I take a shot. Keep in mind I'm working towards getting my handicap down to 18 from 29 this year. (I'm just new back to playing golf since I was a child)

2. Check Lie.
    3. Choose club.
    6. Practice swing (enough power? too much power? enough acceleration? good connection/bounce?)
    7. Fix my grip.
    9. Hit ball

Personally I feel that in order for me to get better at golf these are the considerations I should be putting into each shot (obviously not necessary for each putt or drive). If I don't do these things before my long irons, short irons, short wedge shots, bunker shots and chips, then I'm only putting myself in a position where I mess up a shot and as a result a hole and if this happens numerous times...then the round completely.

I dont want to be holding anyone up and honestly I dont usually feel I am. In order to get these things correct, saying you have 40 seconds to hit the ball might sound like an awful lot to someone who is playing off 10, but when you dont have the experience to be able to just take all these things into consideration at a glance it takes longer.

I suppose one question would be, are you doing some of these things while other people are taking a shot, or do you start the routine once everyone is done and its your turn.

I'm not saying you're slow in any way, or that there is anything wrong with what the doing pre-show.

But you could likely have the first 5 done sometimes before it's time for your shot and to address the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

IK09 wrote: »

2. Check Lie.
    3. Choose club.
    7. Fix my grip.
    9. Hit ball

The range and practice green is where you should be doing this kind of thing, so when you’re on the course itself you’re comfortable and ready to go. To me, it looks like you don’t practice on the range or if you do you just hit balls. I’ve changed a couple of things in my swing but only after I spent probably €50 on balls over a two week period on the range. I spent probably 15 or 20 minutes one day just swinging without using a ball. When I got out onto the course then I felt comfortable enough to put what I learned into practice. I’m still getting used to it, as my scoring is showing, but it’s starting to become second nature.

I hit the ball further than most so I generally don’t have the luxury of walking 20 or 30 yards ahead of my playing partners unless I’m in the rough and they’re in the middle of the fairway. If I have time and space I’ll take a couple of seconds extra to go through things in my head and get myself ready. More often than not, from when I reach my ball to when I strike my ball is no longer than 15 seconds. That’s assessing my lie, picking my target, picking my club and setting myself up. In and out in 15 seconds and I’m ready to move. You should be in a position to judge your shot from 10 or so yards before you reach it. If you’re playing your own course regularly you can nearly play the rest of the hole in your own head - lie, distance, club etc. From where your drive lands.

The par 3s on our course are the only holes that I generally have to really think about what club to play. The length of our par 3s can vary hugely from week to week - one is a short par 3 of 120 yards than can be lengthened to 140 for competitions. That’s the only time I’ll spend extra time on a club choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I don't care how well you are playing or how few shots you were taking. If your group loses 2 holes, you are all a problem and need to get a BIG move on. Some group losing 2 holes on a Sunday morning can lead to 5+ hour rounds for those out later in the day.
    I see this all the time in my club - selfish golfers only concerned about their own round.

I suppose one question would be, are you doing some of these things while other people are taking a shot, or do you start the routine once everyone is done and its your turn.

I'm not saying you're slow in any way, or that there is anything wrong with what the doing pre-show.

But you could likely have the first 5 done sometimes before it's time for your shot and to address the ball

Yes the 1st 5 are done before it's my turn. I assume that's why no one has taken issue with me yet

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

People telling me what I'm doing wrong. If I wanted a lesson, I'd ask.

In my experience, the ones that do this are usually no great shakes themselves, which makes it even more irritating.

• Advertisement

Motivator wrote: »
    The range and practice green is where you should be doing this kind of thing, so when you’re on the course itself you’re comfortable and ready to go. To me, it looks like you don’t practice on the range or if you do you just hit balls. I’ve changed a couple of things in my swing but only after I spent probably €50 on balls over a two week period on the range. I spent probably 15 or 20 minutes one day just swinging without using a ball. When I got out onto the course then I felt comfortable enough to put what I learned into practice. I’m still getting used to it, as my scoring is showing, but it’s starting to become second nature.

I hit the ball further than most so I generally don’t have the luxury of walking 20 or 30 yards ahead of my playing partners unless I’m in the rough and they’re in the middle of the fairway. If I have time and space I’ll take a couple of seconds extra to go through things in my head and get myself ready. More often than not, from when I reach my ball to when I strike my ball is no longer than 15 seconds. That’s assessing my lie, picking my target, picking my club and setting myself up. In and out in 15 seconds and I’m ready to move. You should be in a position to judge your shot from 10 or so yards before you reach it. If you’re playing your own course regularly you can nearly play the rest of the hole in your own head - lie, distance, club etc. From where your drive lands.

The par 3s on our course are the only holes that I generally have to really think about what club to play. The length of our par 3s can vary hugely from week to week - one is a short par 3 of 120 yards than can be lengthened to 140 for competitions. That’s the only time I’ll spend extra time on a club choice.

Ya we don't have a range at the club I'm in,we don't have a hitting net either so there's no way to get iron the kinks out before getting on the course.

You're right about just smashing balls on the range. I've actually felt that my contact is worse as a result of the matts so I've only be practising driver at the range.

Ya I don't have the ability to assess a lie, pick a target line, pick a club and set myself up in 15 seconds. I am going to try it just to see how it works! What do you play off?

Advertisement